FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Beyond a Doctors help.

silicontrip
Community Member

My mental health has just taken a turn for the more expensive. I've exhausted 7 different medications that my GP has prescribed. I think I mentioned in another post that the only one that worked effectively but my GP can no longer legally prescribe it and no psychiatrist wants to. I did get to see a psychiatrist 6 months ago (on a 291) and have exhausted those recommended medications.

I'm now facing the prospect of needing to regularly see a psychiatrist, except I've been blown away by the costs.

For a government that is talking about mental health it seems to be unaware of the barriers to actually receiving it.

Anyone have any recommendations?

ps I'm off my medication emotional, angry and moody, so I apologise for any negative tone this post has, in advance.

14 Replies 14

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

I wish you luck in your endeavor.

just for your information I was falsely diagnosed, tried 12 different meds over 6 years under a psychiatrist. In 2009 I had one free visit to another psychiatrist and a 2nd psychiatrist sat in furing his lunch hour. One hour later they both agreed I was bipolar, depression and dysthymia not- ADHD.

I havent seen a psychiatrist since. The meds he prescribed were spot on just needing fine tuning of dosage.

I thought I'd mention that of course we are all different

TonyWK

I've seen 3 different psychiatrists and they all say similar things. I've been diagnosed with Avoidant Personality Disorder. This is most likely the cause of my anxiety and depression. I can't say I'm happy with psychiatrists at the moment. One just said "you have AvPD, there's nothing you can do about it, you've just gotta deal with it." Another touched on some very upsetting issues for me and then said, we've gotta move on. I felt very brutalised. Not to mention that my GP and Psychiatrist are disagreeing over who will prescribe me the medication. My GP says that it was not a 291 appointment, so I'm the psychiatrist's patient, also that the medication I've been recommended is out of scope for my GPs knowledge. Where as the psychiatrist is simply saying that they'll write up a report and give it to my GP. So I'm stuck in the middle of this medical disagreement, feeling awful each day, waiting for the report so I can begin the next medication to try.

I feel angry, thinking about all this stuff and I really want to use a lot of expletives in this post. Apart from wanting to get the anger out here, I do want to apologise for the tone.

I also just want to acknowledge that even though all this major traumatic stuff is happening in my life, a death in the family, selling the house, while waiting for our new property building was delayed during that time the housing market fell so if we don't lose the house will be lucky not to lose significant amount of money, but the thing that really got to me was my laptop falling out of my bag and cracking the case on the ground. thinking about that is more upsetting than all the other stuff going on. :'-(

Hi again

I understand, we have had our property on the market for 15 months. Bad time to sell.

The dilemma you face with your doctor and psych is unacceptable. I cannot offer you comfort there.

Also I know nothing about avpd. But anxiety?

Google

Beyondblue Topic anxiety, how I eliminated it

Cheers TonyWK

Very hopeful and interesting to hear your experiences.

Like you I had some very questionable sessions before finding the right therapy fit for me. In terms of medication, at the moment I would I would rate what I'm on an 8/10 in effectiveness for my anxiety with minimal side effects. Speaking of which if anyone can give any advice on dealing with dry mouth it would be much appreciated (aside from mouth wash, special gel/spray).

A new GP recently told me about how hard he sometimes finds his job, how he's still finding his way and has to put one foot in front of the other. Makes me understand we're all trying to find our way.

Thanks for sharing your medication journey.

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi silicontrip

Thank you for being a part of the forum family.....I think I understand what you mean. I also am on a med that recently required a 'permit' from a psychiatrist ( a benzodiazepine) Please let me know if I am incorrect and it is difficult just getting the authority. I use a small dosage when required for sleep

Can I ask if your GP thinks you should be on this med? (please ignore question if you wish)

Just from my own personal experience.....the meds are never a fix all as they only provide us with a solid foundation on which we can heal more effectively using super frequent counseling....(a GP can work wonders)

Sorry to interrupt your thread Silicontrip for a moment....

bluehorseshoes.....I'll keep this brief re 'Dry Mouth' as this is Silicontrips thread.....and its difficult to answer your question as you have provided a couple of examples of what not to include..Try Oral7...seriously...it works

my kind thoughts Silicontrip and be gentle with yourself

you are not alone......and any questions are always welcome

Paul

Hi silicontrip,

Please don't feel the need to apologise for the tone of your posts - you've been very real and raw which is great because this is a safe place. For me, this is the one place I can be 100% real and I know others get it. If I was like that with my family it would worry them more than they already are. I let them into about 90% of what's going on with me - so it's great that you are able to vent here over your recent experiences.

I am sorry to hear about the challenges you've had with your doctors. This is definitely something many of us can relate to.

I've had my own doctor issues last year when I was at my lowest (see post 'handbrake on life' if you're interested) but basically the doctor told me "You can either hold onto the past or move on" without me even beginning to discuss the history of trauma that got me to where I was. She then went on attribute my anxiety to 'women's problems' and hormones... I was so lost and belittled.

So I feel you pain.

Self-compassion is very important and something that may help you to forgive yourself when you get angry about being angry. It's something that I'm still working on.

When you mentioned about how despite all the serious events going on for you right now, it was actually the laptop which pushed you over, that is completely understandable.

I once heard challenges being described as water filling up our bucket (a bucket stands for resilience I think) and with everything you're dealing with already in the bucket, the laptop just made it all overflow.

I've been there and I understand.

Thanks Paul,

I will definitely try Oral7. I'm currently using Biotene and am not that impressed with gel/spray. May start new thread if successful.

Cheers

Hi all,

Just replying in general to all. Thanks for all your input, I think we all know that just being heard is just as (if not more) important than a solution. I do like that this has become more of a conversation than just a problem-solution thread.

As I mentioned that I've had issues with getting one particular medication, and frustrated me even more that one of the rules of this forum is to not mention medication names. Because my whole thread was specifically about that medication and my inability to get it and that we kept getting knock backs from psychiatrist after psychiatrist, I think we tried sending referrals to about 15. The one who did finally see me missed the bit about the medication and when I was explaining my history at the start of the session, he stopped me and said "well I'm not prescribing you that, if that's what you're here for we should end this now."

For people who are supposed to be trained in emotional behaviour that don't seem very compassionate.

He recommended 4 medications. During this time my GP retired and I'm now seeing a new GP at the same medical centre. Both of them discounted one medication, as it is more a psychiatric medication not a GP medication. I've been on 2 of the 4. One made me groggy all the time and the other made me anxious all of the time.

The second psychiatrist then discounted the last medication on the list saying that I'm much more sensitive to side effects than most people, and will probably experience heightened anxiety on any drug in that class, so don't try those anymore. But again recommended the one that the GPs don't know much about. I'm now waiting until the week after next when my GP is back at the clinic, due to the public holiday after public holidays, when the report is back and I can start drug number lucky 7.

The thing that frustrated me the most about the laptop is that it's where I express my creativity, I'm a technologist and a creative (hence my forum name) and now that's limited to my desktop machine in my study and not where the mood hits me.

thanks for listening.

Hey Silicontrip

Its great to have you as part of the forum family.....and thank you for your kind post above too 🙂

You can mention medication groups like AD's or 'Benzo's if you wish so we can provide better support

I understand you as I purchased an excellent Alienware Laptop which I havent used very much as my creativity seems to flow better on this old 15+ year old HP Microtower with XP Professional lol (yes...it still works!)

It would be frustrating not being able to get the medication that has worked for you in the past. I hope that your GP can help you when they get back after this extended holiday period

You mentioned "well I'm not prescribing you that, if that's what you're here for we should end this now" It is very sad when the 'Compassion' factor is vacant during an appointment with our psychiatrist. I get it. The psychiatrist will also be looking at your background where counseling/therapy is concerned too and if you have had ongoing treatment to justify writing the prescription/or providing the 'permit' depending on the medication

Hey bluehorseshoes....sorry....I neglected to mention...The Oral7 product I have been using for dry mouth is the mouthwash...and I wish it was around years ago....Its excellent 🙂

my kind thoughts

Paul