FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Being yelled at by my partners family member

Susan2227
Community Member

My partners friend of the family yelled at my one day when we went over her place it had been raining and we walked in her house and dirtied the floor so I grabbed the mop and cleaned the floor I opened the glass sliding door to let air in to help dry the floor for safety she yelled at me because she didn't want the door open I don't feel like going back to her house.

2 Replies 2

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear Susan,

A warm and caring welcome to our forums..

I am sorry your partners friend yelled at you….Sometimes people are very particular with there house, especially when they know they have visitors coming, if they are like me, I usually make sure my home is clean and presentable….Them yelling at you…even though it’s not being respectful…could have been an automatic reaction without her thinking….

Mopping the floor clean was a lovely thing you done for them….maybe they felt uncomfortable in a way, that you did that….I know if anyone visits me, and they spill a drink or dirty my floors…I would feel embarrassed if they got my mop and started cleaning it up..

People have their own preferences to doors open….Maybe their was a reason she wanted it left close….ie: dust, noise, damp air….Keeping flys out…

Hopefully by now, your partners friend has probably forgotten about what happened…and your next visit might be okay, once you get their..

My kindest thoughts, with my care..

Grandy..

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

Susan2227,

Welcome to the forums dear Susan, and I'm so sorry to hear about this experience you've had with your partner's family friend. Thank you for sharing this with us, and I'm here to echo and expand on Grandy's advice.

You're justified in your feelings here. I can understand how upsetting it can feel to have somebody yell or get angry with you, and how it can make you feel less inclined to interact with the person again. 

Often, there's a rational explanation for sudden outbursts like this, as it sounds to me like misplaced anger. Perhaps she was struggling with some other stressful events that day, and this was an expression of pent-up emotion from these other events. Of course, this doesn't justify yelling at somebody, not at all. But these kinds of solutions may help to explain behaviour like this.

Have you talked to your partner about how this friend's behaviour has affected you? If you haven't already, it may be a good idea to let them know that this situation has occurred, and that you're having reservations about putting yourself in that kind of situation again. Your partner may able to work through the situation with you, or at the very least, offer you some reassurance and support about how you're feeling.

I hope this is helpful advice, take care and please feel free to chat with us some more if you wish. We're here for you.

SB