FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety attacks make me exhausted?

Courtz_45
Community Member

Hi,

I literally woke up a few hours ago and due to not eating as I have barely any appetite I woke up shakey and anxious - now I don't know if it's cause my blood sugar levels were down or what but I got up had some juice and a few bites of toast. After that I felt better, but now I just feel extremely exhausted! Is this normal to feel exhausted after an anxiety attack?

I think i feel so off to because I started medication two days ago.

11 Replies 11

Zeal
Community Member

Hi Courtz,

Biologically, anxiety does tire out the body and also uses mental energy. I know I get tired when I am highly anxious. The shaky feeling is likely due to both the anxiety and the fact that you hadn't eaten (low blood sugar levels, as you said). Starting medication two days ago could also be a factor contributing to how you are feeling physically and mentally. Tiredness is a common side effect of new medication use.
Have you felt this level of anxiety and tiredness much before?

Ensure you take your prescribed medication dose at roughly the same time each day, and follow any instructions you were given (i.e. taking the tablets with food, or conversely, on an empty stomach). Scheduling a doctor appointment within the next few weeks is a good idea, to keep track of your progress with the new medication. Writing down symptoms or concerns you have is useful, as this will ensure you keep track of your own progress too.

Best wishes,

Zeal

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi courtz, welcome

Your meds will take a few weeks to take effect.

We are professional medical people, we are sufferers like you so we can diagnose. However in my experience missing a meal can cause hyperglycemia and other issues and you'll start shaking. In fact my daughter, a teacher, has anxiety. She has breakfast at 7:30am but las Saturday she slept in till 9am, only 90 minutes difference, she had the shakes and short of breath.

So it is essential for anxiety to have regular meals. If you skip a meal have a muesli bar handy ...it will prevent and thats better than cure.

Here are some threads on this topic. Use google

Topic: seekingthe origins of anxiety- beyondblue

Topic: what life can be like at the end of the tunnel- beyondblue

Topic: meditation- words of wisdom- it helped me for 25 years- beyondblue

Topic: anxiety, how I eliminated it- beyondblue

Tony WK

Thanks heaps White Knight,

I have been in bed all day, every time I get up my heart races. Is this normal? Won't calm until I'm back in bed. And I just feel so sick, I don't think this medication is sitting well.

Numerous tests done on my heart and it's all healthy..

Hi

Visit your doctor. He/she will review dosage etc.

Tony WK

Yeah will do,

its the lowest dose so I think my body just doesn't like it.

Hi Courtz

Great informative posts above from Zeal & TonyWK

Having the toast was a good idea which will help with the shakiness

These are very early stages with your meds....they need some time to work.

The power of gentle distraction can be a huge help too...Maybe something low impact on the TV....The brain has difficulty with overthinking if you have an old semi boring movie on the TV.

Ive been on meds too and they do work well after the initial start up period.

If you dont feel like visiting your GP, leave a message for her/him to call back. It does feel reassuring when you can have a chat and clear the air if you have any questions

you are not alone here Courtz. I hope you can stick around

my kind thoughts for you

Paul

Thanks heaps Paul,

I just hate the high heart racey feeling! Makes me even more anxious! Like I can't even get up with out it racing! Is this normal?

Thanks

Hi Courtz_45, a racing heart is one of the symptoms of anxiety.  More information is available here:

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/anxiety/signs-and-symptoms

However, as our members have suggested, it is best to visit your GP for a thorough assessment as we cannot provide a diagnosis here on the forums.

Hey Courtz

No worries at all 🙂

When our adrenaline is pumping ( a symptom of anxiety) its very normal and very harmless too

I have studied anxiety for years and there is no harm that will come to you. You are over sensitised which is very normal from having an exhausted mind. When we are oversensitised those racy heart feelings usually happen

Accept these 'feelings' and if you can let the feelings come and pass you by. Fighting these feelings doesnt work and can make the feelings worse.

Good News! Anxiety symptoms do decrease in severity over time combined with very regular counseling and GP prescribed meds

Anxiety symptoms are still only feelings. Sure they feel bad....but still only feelings....and very normal

I hope you can find something that can 'gently' distract you from these feelings.

be gentle with yourself Courtz 🙂

Paul