FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

3 weeks chest infection and anxiety.

A1989A
Community Member

Hi all, I’m 33 female. So it’s been 3 weeks now and I still have this chest infection. The doctors gave me antibiotics and steroids. I’ve been using my puffers and have a tone of Vitamins and minerals. The antibiotics are just giving me a furry tongue feeling.
I’ve been on them for 6 days and it doesn’t seem to be helping anyway.

It’s giving me anxiety having breathing issues and coughing. My chest is sore to and my tongue and mouth feel yuck from that furry feeling. I just want to be better. It scares me being sick like this.
It’s not easy trying to see a doctor either.. even though they say if you feel sick still give us a call and I call back there no appointments. Anyone else had a chest infection for ages?

what’s made my anxiety worse to use my uncle got pneumonia and then covid and has been in icu.. so that’s scared me a lot more to.

4 Replies 4

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi A1989A,

Well come to our forums.

I'm sorry you are feeling this way.

I understand it would be hard being sick and also having anxiety.

If you feel like your breathing isn't good then you could go to the emergency department to be checked.

Have you tried any coping strategies for your anxiety?

I understand your worry with your uncle.

Banksy92
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi A1989A,

That sounds awful, any prolonged sickness is so tough on the body but with added difficulty breathing it's understandable you're feeling anxious.

This might be a bit obvious, but have you tried going to the chemist to get some cough syrup or similar? That was my saving grace when I had covid earlier this year...

Have you also tried using essential oils? Sometimes if I am anxious a hot steam with oils can be soothing, and oils like eucalyptus can really help the lungs. I mix a little bit in a bowl with hot water from the kettle then hold my head over it with a towel draped over to trap the steam.

Let us know how you're going, hope you feel better soon.

A1989A
Community Member

Thanks for the replies. I’ve been to the emergency a couple of weeks ago now. When my chest was really sore. I have tried using the face steamer but I haven’t used eucalyptus with it.

since getting sick the hole scared of dying thing has kicked back in for me. I don’t like thinking about it… but it’s made me think about it and Im really scared of it happening one day or my family passing in pain. I’ve lost a few people and I hated seeing them in pain or knowing what they went through and it just really plays on my mind. I have four kids and it makes me panic.. I’m so glad I had them but I feel bad they will have to go through that one day to.

Hi A1989A,

How is your chest feeling recently? I hope you're feeling a little better - did you try the eucalyptus steam?

I'm sorry to hear you have been so upset recently by worries of death. I admit, I sometimes get pangs in my stomach when I think of my loved ones getting unwell or of my own passing too, so you are not alone in this.

I think why it bothers many of us is that ultimately it's something that's out of our control. We cannot really prevent it and other than taking reasonable steps for good health and safety, we must accept it as it comes.

My advice to you would be to try to build some strategies to self soothe and calm yourself in these moments. Do you practice any form or meditation or mindfulness? Grounding ourselves through deep breathing and focusing on the here and now is a helpful way to get out of our heads and back into the present moment. There are lots of good guided tracks for this on YouTube. I suggest looking up Body Scans as a starting place.

Let us know how you're going when you can.