Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Guest_3712 I feel like I'm drowning
  • replies: 7

Hi friends ,As As usual I am humbled that you have responded ..Most times I post without really expecting a reply from anyone as my problems are insignificant in comparison to so many others. I log on mainly to check how all our friends are doing, an... View more

Hi friends ,As As usual I am humbled that you have responded ..Most times I post without really expecting a reply from anyone as my problems are insignificant in comparison to so many others. I log on mainly to check how all our friends are doing, and are comforted when I see Neil, Geoff, jo ,mares, GA, and so many others ( sorry didn't mean to leave out names) have reached out again.Then I feel guilty that I don't respond to enough people and just take ,take take. .Is it just me but does depression make you selfish? It always seems to be about me. Currently I am feeling so overwhelmed and I can't see my doc for another 3 weeks because when he can see me I am working, and being in a new job I can't take time off .But damn it he should drop everything and make time for me shouldn't he ? I mean I'm sure I have paid for his last holiday with all my sessions - he owes me right? Ok starting to lose it. one of my major symptoms are catastrophising things. I know this but can't seem to help it. I feel like I'm drowning . I hold onto the float as long as I can, go about my day, my life, pretend all is ok but really I am white knuckling it I start to have panic attacks and anxiety becomes my second name. I want to wake in the morning and not have my first thought, " That's right I have depression" I want to not take medications because the alternative is too awful to think about, and I want to be honest with people and say ,"no I'm not OK" .Too much to ask? It must be because it doesn't change. Be kind to yourself friends Stressless

ChatteBleue I often wonder if I'm just not strong enough
  • replies: 2

I just took the depression/anxiety checklist and I rank 39 (high). I'm female, in my 30s and I have kids. I've had to deal with depression about 10 years ago when I had two miscarriages, it was so bad I wanted to die. I would self-harm and I ended up... View more

I just took the depression/anxiety checklist and I rank 39 (high). I'm female, in my 30s and I have kids. I've had to deal with depression about 10 years ago when I had two miscarriages, it was so bad I wanted to die. I would self-harm and I ended up being hospitalized for over a week. All I could think of was how much hated myself and I was trying to find ways out of my suffering. Since last September -- for the first time in years since becoming a stay-at-home-mom -- I was hired and had a great job but then I was laid off a few days before Christmas. My grandpa passed away in the meantime and I ended up returning on welfare with hardly enough money to get by. Now I struggle with dark thoughts of worthlessness, hopelessness that resemble the ones I had 10 years ago. It scares me but I don't want to mention it to anybody. I'm full of shame and disgust with myself, My drive and energy has disappeared, I struggle with everyday tasks and I often wonder if I'm just not strong enough to handle life's hardships.

sluke71 I have a wonderful life, why doesn't it mean anything to me?
  • replies: 1

I have a wonderful life, my own business, loving wife, great house, so why doesn't any of it mean anything to me? I have had depression for the best part of 20 years, seen doctor after doctor, been given all sorts of cocktails of drugs. nothing has e... View more

I have a wonderful life, my own business, loving wife, great house, so why doesn't any of it mean anything to me? I have had depression for the best part of 20 years, seen doctor after doctor, been given all sorts of cocktails of drugs. nothing has ever really worked. I don't want to live like this, I cant see another 20 years of fighting. Dont know what to do anymore

HelenM I do all the things I'm meant to do, why do I still crash?
  • replies: 4

Ok. I think I posted my first thread in the wrong place. I'll try and be brief. For 12 years I've been living with chronic depression. The very beginning was a living hell. Over the years my depression has come and gone and I've even had a years brea... View more

Ok. I think I posted my first thread in the wrong place. I'll try and be brief. For 12 years I've been living with chronic depression. The very beginning was a living hell. Over the years my depression has come and gone and I've even had a years break. The patterns of my depressions have been varied. Usually I lurch between feeling absolutely fine to feeling depressed. This can go on for months, then suddenly the depression stays away. I am not bi polar it's how it goes. The depressions have become milder and at the end of January I went into it again, for no reason. I have the odd good day. I take meds and have been told they work ( which I believe). What goes on in my head?. My life was going really well. I do not overdo it and live my life in a way that best helps my health. If it's chemicals, what are they doing? Do I recover because my brain chemistry sorts itself out? I no longer do paid work owing to my health problems. I help in a charity shop 4 shifts a week. I go to a writing group. I see my kids and live with a good husband. When I'm well I live a contented life, then this comes back.Excuse my going on but what really gets me is I do all the things I'm meant to. I've altered my life and cannot do anything like I used to. What doesmy depression want? Blood? Thanks for reading. Any advice would be much appreciated. Debs

DebZzZ I hide all the pain from my family
  • replies: 18

I am suffering a lot you can read my story atgrief loss & separationYou are herechallenges ive faced I'm sick of crying I've been crying for an hour in my room , thinking about everything especially my failed relationships why is it that I get so att... View more

I am suffering a lot you can read my story atgrief loss & separationYou are herechallenges ive faced I'm sick of crying I've been crying for an hour in my room , thinking about everything especially my failed relationships why is it that I get so attached and they end up leading me on friend zoning me or even worse telling me to f off. im so alone what do I have in this world NOTHING I've lost everything that was dear to me and I always end up getting heartbroken, the last guy was quick to tell me that he didn't want a relationship and that hurt but at least he didn't lead me on.I cant trust people because ive been betrayed too many times.he doesn't talk to me anymore I am worried about him he has bi polar and is struggling, but what can I do if he doesn't want me.I get upset when people ask me why don't you have a boyfriend, my heart sinks to the floor, i am also friendless I don't work and im miserable deeply heartbroken alone and miserable.I am inconsolable right now and finding it hard to write all of this. i hide all my pain from my family and talk about it to my counsellor but nothing can take away the pain of my loneliness and my pain im even on antidepressants.beyondblue’s clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

Girl_Anachronism Rocks and Islands
  • replies: 75

"...Don't talk of love./ But I've heard those words before; / It's sleeping in my memory./ I won' t disturb the slumber of feelings that have died./ If I never loved I never would have cried./ I'm a rock. I'm an island..." You know normally I have ne... View more

"...Don't talk of love./ But I've heard those words before; / It's sleeping in my memory./ I won' t disturb the slumber of feelings that have died./ If I never loved I never would have cried./ I'm a rock. I'm an island..." You know normally I have new theme or problem when I post a new thread. I don't really have one for this, just the old one was getting too long and I felt the need to post. I felt the need to contact with someone. I just came back from second session with my new psych. We are working challenging thoughts. It makes sense but it will take time. I knew that from the beginning, just this week has been so wretched that everything seems a monumental task. I made muffins yesterday. I sang and danced in the kitchen to the tunes of Sweeney Todd. My friend who was also having a hard night is going to come over today. We were meant to make muffins but I don't know if we'll have time now. On the way home from the psych I felt so bad I was just silently crying slowly as I was driving. It's a skill. I stopped off on the shops, sunglasses on and all in order to spend my last twenty for the week on skittles and childrens stickers. The shinier the better. In my hospital admission, a friend of mine in there (fellow patient) held a slumber party of sorts and we had colouring in books, pizza and I decorated my various gadgets with bright glittery puffy stickers. I bought these to finish the job ad decorate the cbt file my psych gave me. I bought them because I thought it would make me happy, or least give me something to do. It makes me kind of sad though it reminds me of the hospital and how safe I felt. How I had hope when i lefft for all of two days before I crashed. I am unlikely to be able to see my psychiatrist to change meds this week. She is just too busy. I could see a doctor on duty but they don't know my entire history. It's too much effort for someone new. I did hear via psychologist though that I can stop taking the antidepressants that have been giving me migraines. I have been weaning off for this past week. It would have been nice to hear from her in person, or get on something different but I guess that will just have to wait two weeks. I'm not that important. I am just going to take my stickers, decorate my books and then go to bed. Seems thats all that is left. "And a rock feels no pain; An island never cries." GA

peacock when will i feel better
  • replies: 2

I have been on medication for just over 3 weeks now. I have had some good days and bad days but today I hit rock bottom. I feel like I am in a black hole or black fog and I am afraid that I will never get better and will not survive this. can anyone ... View more

I have been on medication for just over 3 weeks now. I have had some good days and bad days but today I hit rock bottom. I feel like I am in a black hole or black fog and I am afraid that I will never get better and will not survive this. can anyone help me

Guest_3712 I need answers
  • replies: 7

Hi guys, it is a beautiful day but all I see are clouds I live in a lovely home, not far from the beach but I feel trapped I have a new job that allows me to express myself and yet I have no confidence I have an understanding and caring husband - I d... View more

Hi guys, it is a beautiful day but all I see are clouds I live in a lovely home, not far from the beach but I feel trapped I have a new job that allows me to express myself and yet I have no confidence I have an understanding and caring husband - I don't know why he stays I have two well adjusted happy children but I feel I am a bad mother I am sick of being overweight and taking meds every day I hate my doctor for making me face my demons, yet I thank God he is there to support me. I don't want this type of life any more. I want my old life back when I was ignorant to my depressive issues. Yes ignorance is bliss. I am not religious despite being brought up in a God fearing household ( ironic I know) but I am spiritual .I believe in a higher power. I believe in ying and yang and Karma. What is my purpose. this can't be the reason I am here. I have wasted ten years of my life. I need answers. Stressless

jmn251 Why do I only feel happy and have any interest in life when drinking?
  • replies: 3

I tried anti depressants but I couldn't function at work. I spent 3 months in rehab and was clean for a year. However, the alcohol cravings returned. I only feel comfortable dealing with the work when drinking. Does anyone have any insights into this... View more

I tried anti depressants but I couldn't function at work. I spent 3 months in rehab and was clean for a year. However, the alcohol cravings returned. I only feel comfortable dealing with the work when drinking. Does anyone have any insights into this issue. Thanks.

danni0127 My friends are concerned about me
  • replies: 1

My friends have become really concerned that I have depression. I, in myself know something isn't right- however I have felt like this, for that long, that it feels to me that it is normal. I will always put others happiness before my own. I am not u... View more

My friends have become really concerned that I have depression. I, in myself know something isn't right- however I have felt like this, for that long, that it feels to me that it is normal. I will always put others happiness before my own. I am not un happy- not really sure how to describe it really. I am engaged, to the most supportive and loving man I have ever met. We have been through so much together- health wise. I am constantly tired, and feeling as if I have to force a smile. my partner isn't the problem, things were numb far before he came along. I work full time, and I look forward to going to work. But once I come home, I'm down, tired and irritated. I know I need to talk to someone, but how do I start the conversation? I think I'm scared- I know I'm scared.