Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Carlyrm Struggling
  • replies: 7

This week is hard for my it's my father's birthday who passed away nearly 11 years ago it's two days before my own. I'm so scared of being alone on my birthday but have few friends, I feel crap to force them to do something with me. I've been on a tw... View more

This week is hard for my it's my father's birthday who passed away nearly 11 years ago it's two days before my own. I'm so scared of being alone on my birthday but have few friends, I feel crap to force them to do something with me. I've been on a two week break from work (just normal xmas holidays) and this weekend I'm feeling sad about it and I'm feeling alone - I only hung out with one friend during these holidays, mostly spent time with family and getting a things done that I otherwise wouldn't have time to do. I'm actually looking forward to going back to work on Monday so these feelings can subside too. I've been stressed out a bit due to an aggressive friend who I don't associate with anymore (before new year) and dealing with rude service from my previous job service provider (the people who you are referred to when unemployed) which has led me to file a complaint. These things don't bother me as much. I worry about when my social life will pick up, when I have close friends in my life I can trust and really care about me when I tell my mother about doing something social when I come back the first question is always "did they show up?" -- and that's how bad it's been for me. I have made a few new friends but I'm still a bit shy I don't chase friends for social things as I used to get let down a lot so I find myself holding back more so. It's hard to do it but I don't want to isolate myself. I miss being able to talk to someone on a regular basis, my ex and I were such close friends for a long time but I feel our friendship is over and it wouldn't be right to contact him. He broke up with me in August and nothing has been the same since, I feel I've begun to move forward but it's times like this where I feel grief for my father and lonely that I feel there's no one to confide in. My new friends are nice but we're not that close. I'm so scared of being alone on my birthday. I'm so scared.

Neil_1 Acknowledgement to Geoff
  • replies: 11

To Geoff, I've been thinking of doing this post for a while now and so thought today is as good a day to do it as any. Can I just say that the experience, advice and support that Geoff brings to this site is incredible. We know you’ve had your long r... View more

To Geoff, I've been thinking of doing this post for a while now and so thought today is as good a day to do it as any. Can I just say that the experience, advice and support that Geoff brings to this site is incredible. We know you’ve had your long ride through hell … just as most of us are experiencing ourselves right now. Your journey was damn long and though you’re through now, I know there are times that demons come back to haunt you. As I’ve referenced in the past, you have been the one constant on this site for the whole time and that’s evidenced by the incredibly high number of posts that you’ve sent. Over 1,500 posts provided to people in need, people in crisis, people crying out for help, for support ... people like us … you’ve responded and sent replies to so many and you have made a difference. A HUGE difference. I would hazard a guess that you have saved untold amount of lives by your support and advice when people were at their lowest ebb and about to end things. Things like this just emphasis to me just how amazing and truly special you are Geoff. I’m sorry if I’ve gone all fuzzy and warm with this post and have singled Geoff out specially (because for anyone who comes on here and posts responses – they are responses of support, care, advice and love – love for the other people who are suffering – and everyone should be acknowledged for being such wonderful, kind spirited, compassionate and the absolute best human beings on this planet). But I just wanted to say a quick thank you to Geoff for his constant advice, knowledge and unwavering support. Thanx mate and one day if we ever meet, I would love to shake your hand, buy you a beer and sit and have a few frosty ones with you. Cheers Neil Ps: I really don’t know what bought that on … it’s 10:36am, so that must have been one helluva coffee that I had this morning! Having said that, every word above is true and straight from the heart.

Girl_Anachronism My Day
  • replies: 24

You are probably of sick of hearing from me by now, but I felt the need to post what happened to me today. After a long and ardous 5 hour long conversation with my husband yesterday, I decided that I was going to go to this convention today which we ... View more

You are probably of sick of hearing from me by now, but I felt the need to post what happened to me today. After a long and ardous 5 hour long conversation with my husband yesterday, I decided that I was going to go to this convention today which we have helped plan for the past month. It was a small one- not even a thousand people but a couple of days ago I was sure I would be too fragile to face that. I wasn't even sure gioing to sleep last night. I woke up this morning and decided to to go. I would be volunteering close to my husband and some friends so if things tarted to go pear shaped, help was at hand to seek medical attention. The deal was we would be there as long as I could stand it and then we could go home or to the hopsital depending on my state of mind. It went alot better than expected. I spent most of the day there and even found the responsibility of looking after attendees helped me keep my mind of my troubles. I just focused on what others needed. When the crowd was toomuch, I withdrew to a spot working the door where it was quieter and I didn't even have to do much work. The biggest news of all- I had fun. I laughed for the first time in days. I found myself smiling. Today was a good day. I am not saying I won't have bad days after this, I probably will with the looming deadline of deciding what to do with my life now that I have wasted 7 years on a not quite finished degree. I haven't even began to deal with my family issues. But today was a good day all the same. I guess that's what the point of this post is- not to gloat that I am having a good day and others aren't, but that good days can and do happen. A good day happened to me of all people, and if you've been following my posts you know good days just haven't been happening for months. If I had quit before this, I wouldn't have seen today. I see the stars I was looking for. By gum, if good days can happen to me they can happen to you too. The second point is when the dark comes again for me and I can't see the stars, you out there can throw this day back in my face. You have full permission to do that. You can rub my face in this feeling until it scrubs out all the darkness and I see stars again. Now more importantly, how did your day go? GA

Jo3 I feel flat
  • replies: 6

Hi everyone, I don't feel happy and excited. I feel depressed and flat. Is it because of my roller coaster week of emotions? My parents? Or is it just ME. Maybe it's me the whole time, maybe I was the one who is sick. I don't know I am not making sen... View more

Hi everyone, I don't feel happy and excited. I feel depressed and flat. Is it because of my roller coaster week of emotions? My parents? Or is it just ME. Maybe it's me the whole time, maybe I was the one who is sick. I don't know I am not making sense. I feel that everything should be back to normal; but it's not. I actually feel more depressed now than before. And I don't get it. But I should be happy. I should be happy in seeing my parents again. So why aren't I? What is wrong with me. I just want to curl up in a ball and cry but I can't. Jo

jodes76 not really happy, not sure why
  • replies: 2

We brought a dog which has been good for us all. But I still have that darkness about me. Everything still gets to me. I'm on New meds. I'm with a mental health team which helps a bit. Still so emotional, really don't know what to do

We brought a dog which has been good for us all. But I still have that darkness about me. Everything still gets to me. I'm on New meds. I'm with a mental health team which helps a bit. Still so emotional, really don't know what to do

36andworried Just admitted to my wife
  • replies: 7

Last Friday I admitted to my wife of four years and the mother of our 5 month old that I feel I needed to talk to someone. I have been feeling tired for years, cursed by negative thoughts and unrealistic future situations, some anxiety in public, suf... View more

Last Friday I admitted to my wife of four years and the mother of our 5 month old that I feel I needed to talk to someone. I have been feeling tired for years, cursed by negative thoughts and unrealistic future situations, some anxiety in public, suffering an inability to let stuff go, sometime a feeling of tears behind my eyes on a Monday morning before going to work and now a feeling of a complete lack of self confidence.. I am too tired to carry on like this. Work has provided a good distraction for the past couple of years, but in my new job there are less distractions and more expectations so the thought generation has got more intense.. Being busy is always good, but with the arrival of my daughter we have found ourselves around the house at lot more and more alone with my thoughts. Admitting to my wife, partner, best mate in life was really hard, I could barely get the words out and to be honest I almost didn't do it, fearing a lack of support, ridicule or worse. I am 36 and have been an active friendly individual who loves extreme sports, but seem to have lost any confidence the moment any confrontation seems to occur. I have not been quick witted so always end up with the raw end of any rude individual who cares to chuck a comment my way. Having moved here from the uk 7 years ago, I have been always been trying to avoid conflict and keep the peace by taking the higher road when these situations occur, but that seems to go nowhere. Sticking up for my self seems to end up losing the quick wit battle and a popularity contest, , which leads to a huge amount of frustration and anxiety when having to deal with these people either at work or in my personal life. Admitting that it is time to deal with feeling like this is has helped, now my wife and I can talk about it openly, but we have both agreed she cannot take the burden of being my councillor. It's just not fair on her. This week I will be seeking an appointment with a professional to get a grip on this, and climb my personal emotional Everest. I don't want to be feeling like this though my baby's first year and beyond.

Chris D I feel isolated
  • replies: 1

Tonight this thursday evening, even though i am not alone i feel isolated, i feel alone. It's like one day or one hr i could be feeling gd and getting into tv shows that i am watching but sitting here in the lounge room at this very moment things hav... View more

Tonight this thursday evening, even though i am not alone i feel isolated, i feel alone. It's like one day or one hr i could be feeling gd and getting into tv shows that i am watching but sitting here in the lounge room at this very moment things have very much gone down hill for no apparent reason. I'm not just that i feel sad, it's more it's thoughts that i have not had since before Christmas. I know that i do get support from all of you here at BB and people who i see though the week but i can't explain it. Why it changes in an instant and this time there were no warning signs, usually i can recognise the swigns and use the tools i have in place to combat these thoughts. Reading other people's threads and the responses they get, i'm a person that is very sensitive, i know this forum is here for everyone. I think what i'm trying to say is that i need support at the moment. I'm trying to say something without offending or upsetting anyone. I can't think of the words now there gone. Chris

Guest_3712 Give me a Go
  • replies: 4

I don't know how many more times I can continue to get up. I have tried so hard to put all of my crap behind me and re- enter the workforce primarily and then hopefully the human race again- but no-one will give me a go. Before my injury 9 years ago ... View more

I don't know how many more times I can continue to get up. I have tried so hard to put all of my crap behind me and re- enter the workforce primarily and then hopefully the human race again- but no-one will give me a go. Before my injury 9 years ago at work which then spiralled into drug addiction, depression, suicide attempts and hospitalisation, I was a force to be reckoned with. I was top of my career and was seen as the go to gal . I set all kinds of records in my chosen career and was a confident , self assured strong lady. 3 years after my injury I was let go from my employer as I could no longer do the job required. I have spent the last 6 months applying for jobs. Initially in my chosen field then anything I thought I could do. I am registered on every job site available and spend hours scanning the work available. Unfortunately the process now of applying on- line may be user friendly for the employer, but it doesn't give the applicant a fair go. A lot of the employers want you to take an 'intelligence test' first ( you know square pegs round holes stuff) , multiple choice scenarios etc. If you pass this round then it's something else again. You're very lucky to get an interview. I used to recruit people in my line of work all the time and I never solely relied on someone's application and / or personal information. I relied on my gut instinct and the employee's experience and presence. All jobs now ask OH&S questions. Can you lift certain weights, bend, stand , do somersaults??? I had a back injury. I had surgeries. As soon as I mention a prior condition forget it. If I have to say it was workers comp then that's a double whammy and I will never hear back. Do I lie to get a job? What happens then if I can't lift a box or climb a ladder? I need to work. I need to be part of something again and feel important. My self esteem is at rock bottom and with each passing day I am losing that drive to move on . It has take me a very long time to get to this point and I am so scared I am going to go back to where I was. I am still on prescription meds and the temptation to self medicate is very real. Today I am having a " I don't care day" I stayed in bed late, didn't walk the dog and couldn't care less about what's for dinner. I am losing my motivation. I have done all the courses, read all the books I know what I am supposed to do. But I have tried time and time again. God help me I am so tired of this ****. I have read some posts that have similar issues so maybe someone out there has something they can say that will get my motivation back Stressless

Chris D "A Must Read Thread" Part 3
  • replies: 3

Hi All, Like the other 2 posts in this sequence, this post is aimed at encouraging, inspiring, supporting and caring for all that are here on BB and also those you are suffering in silence both here in Australia but around the world with a mental ill... View more

Hi All, Like the other 2 posts in this sequence, this post is aimed at encouraging, inspiring, supporting and caring for all that are here on BB and also those you are suffering in silence both here in Australia but around the world with a mental illness. As i sit on my bed listening to powderfinger this wednesday evening, we all come from our different paths and converge here at Beyond Blue. Some people are just starting their journey, yet some are a little further progressed but we are all heading for the same goal, that being getting of top of all of our own personal battles. To those people who are really struggling tonight and everyone else i urge you all to read this post. You may be feeling at the lowest of all of lows but something like this post can help bring you out from the darkness and into the spotlight. It is the spotlight that can really start to help you and you can start to make some big in roads in managing and feeling better about yourself. We are all here to help we will not leave anyone behind if you fall we will pick you up because that is what friends do they help eachother they pick us up when we are feeling low. We band together, we hold eachother's hands and walk in one staright long and very Srong, Defiant line. We are 100% in eachothers corner. We Stand Tall and knock down all the obstacles that come our way. TOGETHER WE WILL WIN, WE HAVE THE WILL POWER, WE HAVE THE BELIEF, WE HAVE THE STRENGTH, WE HAVE FAITH inside us all that we will all get better, have the support we need, here encouragement when we most need it and have the most important aspect of all this Beyond Blue online forum caring community. I hope to all that read this thread you can all take strength and keep that strength to fight on DON'T GIVE UP it is not an option. Kind Regards Chris

J7 help - new to this
  • replies: 6

I don’t know what is wrong with me. I have no reason to be sad.I have a great job which i enjoy, a supportive family and finally great friends. I have felt like this for years. But i hate myself. I put on a facade to everyone that i am ok. Some days ... View more

I don’t know what is wrong with me. I have no reason to be sad.I have a great job which i enjoy, a supportive family and finally great friends. I have felt like this for years. But i hate myself. I put on a facade to everyone that i am ok. Some days I am better and others I am so low I cannot be reached.I have locked myself away from everyone and have taken two weeks off work. I feel I just cannot face anything right now. I have been drinking to the point that I cannot remember anything and then I have days of eating so much crap that I feel physically sick. I am overweight and have been trying to lose weight for most of my life. I am only 26 and I thought I would have done so much more by now. My last relationship was a year ago and it still haunts me. I loved him so much but I had to end it. All I want is to be desired, loved and this year I have been getting so drunk and sleeping with random men for a moment of intimacy. I crave love, thats all i want and because I want it that bad I know I wont get it. I feel like I have no option but to actually get help. I’ve been thinking about ending things and how much of a relief on everyone it would be. I just feel like a burden. I am unsure if this is depression? I just needed to vent.beyondblue’s clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.