Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Creating_A_Better_Future Don't know where to turn...
  • replies: 2

Hi guys, has been some time since my last post in 2015 (!!!) ... I've kind of found myself in a 360 mode where I have returned to the head space of not knowing what to do with my life. In the last 2 years I have built a wonderful personal life, and s... View more

Hi guys, has been some time since my last post in 2015 (!!!) ... I've kind of found myself in a 360 mode where I have returned to the head space of not knowing what to do with my life. In the last 2 years I have built a wonderful personal life, and sadly recently fallen out with some very close family members of which I was at the end of incredible betrayal (over my recent wedding a couple of months ago), but have tried to turn this into ammunition to be a better person and do better with my life. Currently I am working casually, really enjoying it but there's not a lot of hours to go around. I knew this when I signed up. I just wanted a physical job with less stress so I could "try figure out my life". Prior to this recent job, I worked in a full-time role for 3.5 weeks which I did not like at all, and felt very uncomfortable in, however now I am left with not earning enough to pay my bills, putting stress on my husband and myself because I simply cannot get my act together. I want to work, I just don't feel like I have it in me to give a company my 'all', and lets face it, starting up some sort of study is going to keep me from earning money - I have thought about this option in great detail, but I have studied about 4 times before and always dropped out... I am really starting to resent myself and wish I knew where to turn, where to go. I'm unfortunately claiming bankruptcy in a couple of months, which I have emotionally come to terms with. I'm now looking forward to it, to eliminate the background stress in my life... I suppose all I can really put my thoughts and feelings down to is I'm annoyed I can't "hold down a job" or figure out what I want to do. I simply do not feel like I have the energy to work a full time job as stupid as that sounds, and staying in this casual role that I'm in now is not going to get me anywhere. I know it is a simple solution of applying and getting into something else, but what does someone do when nothing sounds good, nothing interests me and for a lack of a better term I cannot be bothered working at all. I have NEVER been like this in my life. I am so strong and independent, and have had many many jobs in my time. But for some reason, its fallen on me like a tonne of bricks and if I don't do something shortly I will go down with them.

Xprince I am worried I can't suppress my depression any longer
  • replies: 3

Hi, I am xprince, a guy who's fighting with his own demon of deep depression hidden and carried on for years till this date. Lately things are resurfacing and I am worried I can't suppress my depression any longer. I get frequent headache and really ... View more

Hi, I am xprince, a guy who's fighting with his own demon of deep depression hidden and carried on for years till this date. Lately things are resurfacing and I am worried I can't suppress my depression any longer. I get frequent headache and really feeling weak overall of my body motivation. Am trying to fight it off and I am trying hard to function as normal as I could in everyday activities, but my deep emotions or memory of what's happen to me in past or recent times, is profoundly impacting on my brain.. Hence these on and off headache I am getting. At this moment I can coupé but it's really pulling me down.. I have told know one of my condition till this day, I can't easily just voice this type of matter to just anyone I personally know.. But my aspiration to live on to every morning or day, seems less excited. I feel I've become completely irrelevant to my being on this earth. But my deep desire wants to live on and contribute in a positive way on this earth.. But I feel like am constantly a failure in all my endeavors and I tend to just leave everyone I once knew. Leaving me alone to just discuss my matter on this web page or online because I truly don't have the answer to what? Or how? To deal with what am going through now... I feel I am dying out in silence and I feel the worse may come to be, if my unhappiness continues on.. I seek and welcome those whom are more well verse or professional in treating or advising me on my issues to help give me some indication to what I should do next please. I feel lost and deep sadness arises time to time for which am trying hard to suppress it down.. I get headaches and weak body at times which this is the hardest to avoid or struggle with. Any advise I truly appreciate it.

happyannie Dark Day
  • replies: 9

Hi Im just writing to calm me down as today Im really worked up and really battling with my depression, it started the minute I woke up my moods very black and nothing I seem to do works, Ive tried mindfulness not working, the only relief I seem to g... View more

Hi Im just writing to calm me down as today Im really worked up and really battling with my depression, it started the minute I woke up my moods very black and nothing I seem to do works, Ive tried mindfulness not working, the only relief I seem to get is writing in my journal which Ive done alot of today. Im unsettled, restless and frustrated, Im now doing controlled breathing exercises, and I just know that Ive got a bad night ahead of me, not sleeping it looks like a night of foxtel sitting in my favourite chair. All I can hope for is tomorrow will be a better day. Thank you for letting me vent Annie

adrian_mm My girlfriend left because i'm struggling to cope with my depression and social anxiety
  • replies: 14

Hi everyone, I'm 31 and having a very hard time coping at the moment so i thought i'd ask for advice here. My girlfriend of more than 4 years broke up with me yesterday and i know it's essentially because of my increasing depression, anxiety and soci... View more

Hi everyone, I'm 31 and having a very hard time coping at the moment so i thought i'd ask for advice here. My girlfriend of more than 4 years broke up with me yesterday and i know it's essentially because of my increasing depression, anxiety and social anxiety that seems to be getting worse, despite my efforts. I can't stop crying and i'm heartbroken and feel like it's my fault, she wants to move overseas and travel around the world and wanted me to go along, but the thought of being in that situation with no stability of family, friends, or work terrified me and though i desperately wanted to be the kind of person who could just 'do it' i know i would not be good in those situations and couldn't take the leap. She saw this as me not thinking she was worth it, even though that couldn't be more untrue. So i feel like i've driven a wonderful person that i love away because of my weakness and this in turn has made me feel even more depressed and alone than ever before. I've tried to explain that i can't do certain things because of my issues, but it's been interpreted as a lack of commitment to the relationship, which isn't true in the slightest. On top of the depression, I have a lot of trouble in group social situations and i get very stressed out at family gatherings and parties and people think i'm anti-social, but i'm just very anxious and feel the need to escape those situations. All this adds up to not being able to function as a normal person would in social situations that are important to a relationship. Then if i'm having a particularly bad day with my depression, i can't handle anything at all and avoid seeing people to not let them know what state i'm in. I'm lost for any way to get around this web of symptoms that seem to exist to attack everything that would make people want to be around me, or for me to have a better life. I've tried therapy twice, but found their approaches simple at best, for what feels like something that is immensely complex and being given the 'depression kit' of documents from a therapist seems like fighting the tide with a broom. I can't sleep, or find motivation, or connect with anyone i don't already know and i'm just foreseeing a future of never getting close to anyone, or worse, getting close and having them leaving me as soon as i have a bad day, week or month of depression, or can't fulfil social obligations. I feel like i've unintentionally sabotaged the best thing in my life and am immensely sad and lost.

thehiss I HATE MYSELF
  • replies: 4

Due to my chronic anxiety I have been unable to live a normal life which in turn has caused depression, anyway lately my depression has intensified and I'm always comparing myself to other people my age (24) and looking at what they're doing with the... View more

Due to my chronic anxiety I have been unable to live a normal life which in turn has caused depression, anyway lately my depression has intensified and I'm always comparing myself to other people my age (24) and looking at what they're doing with their lives- working, studying at university, have friends, fit and healthy, independent and happy. I then look at myself and see this lazy, stupid, uneducated fat slob who sits around all day thinking crap and does time wasting things. I feel like I've wasted the past 7 years of doing nothing, even though I have done a couple of TAFE courses I feel as though that it's not good enough and I'm still dumb. I've explained this to my psychologist and he basically said "they're just thoughts" plus my family constantly says that I'm smart and intelligent but I think they just say that to make me feel better. I'm going to be 25 early next year and I can't work, I'm certainly not independent, I have no friends and I'm overweight and unfit. There are people out there that are far worse off health wise than me and yet they still manage to study and work etc.. Honestly I feel as though my life is just one complete messy waste and it's never going to improve. I don't know if any of these thoughts and feelings are due to depression or if it's because it's all true.

RainOnMyParade Sick of being sick
  • replies: 2

It's hard to know where to begin. I'm just sick of being sick/it's a never ending cycle. The last few years I have had pnuemonia, cancer, deviated septum surgery, constant colds and flus, insulin resistance, migraines, ulcerative colitis... The list ... View more

It's hard to know where to begin. I'm just sick of being sick/it's a never ending cycle. The last few years I have had pnuemonia, cancer, deviated septum surgery, constant colds and flus, insulin resistance, migraines, ulcerative colitis... The list goes on and on. I can't remember the last time I was okay! I have tried so hard to combat this with regular exercise when I'm not bed bound And eating ridiculously healthy but it doesn't seem to work and I'm continually putting on weight. I had to quit my job because I was told, how can you look after sick people if you are so sick all the time, you should stop working in X profession because you are shit at being healthy and are letting the team down. I was bullied Everytime I showed up to work with a medical certificate and accused of "faking it" As well as this I have lost multiple friendships over me being sick and friends telling me that I haven't put the effort in, despite when they have been sick in the past I've been the first person there to help. To add to this, I have recently been told I won't be able to conceive children because of my array of health problems and recent diagnosis of PCOS. This really is affecting my relationship with my husband as he is the first born child and only one to pass on the family name and I've basically screwed our chances of having children just because of being me. We both agreed we wanted kids and he has always said that if this changes it would be a deal breaker (back when we were dating) I honestly feel useless. I can't go back to work because I'm too sick. Too sick to conceive a child. Been exercising and eating healthy yet can't shed any weight off. The last time I was severely depressed I was a young teen at home, being physically, emotionally and financially abused by my parents at home and socially isolated from all my friends, but I had my grandparents to help me out. This time though, they have been gone for quite sometime, I have no friends and I feel like if I tell my husband im slipping back into bed depression we will have no marriage/relationship either. On top of this, the unit we rent is being sold and we are being asked to move. It's been difficult to find anywhere to live as we have a pet and so far all of my applications to new places have been rejected. I have previously tried Lexapro consistently for a year with no luck. I have been to four psychogists with no break through. I exercise. I eat healthy. I just don't know what to do anymore.

FiaBusa feeling overwhelmed, down, angry, upset, work issues, feel like a failure.

Hi I'm brand new and dont know where to start. I had an excellent career as an intelligence officer with the AFP. I decided to leave that and move on to bigger and better things (or so I thought). my wife and I bought a franchise and they pretty much... View more

Hi I'm brand new and dont know where to start. I had an excellent career as an intelligence officer with the AFP. I decided to leave that and move on to bigger and better things (or so I thought). my wife and I bought a franchise and they pretty much screwed us over. We lost over 160k in 12 months. It was like a kick in the guts to me. since moving to a coastal area its really hard to find work and has been for the past 6 years. I have had 3 month contracts with gov and even doing traffic control. I def feel like I have wasted a smart brain which makes me feel like a failure to me and my family. every time i try and do the right thing things just dont work out. my wife and my 2 boys (2.5 and 6 months) keep me going and remind me of the fun things in life. I have always worked to my full potential in the workforce only to get screwed over by others. I stand up to the bullies and get punished for it which makes me so irate. I feel down a lot and tend to break down sometimes. my mother passed away last dec and one of my sisters may not see xmas which is a lot to take inn. sometimes i just feel like packing up and just going, getting away from everything and find a place that I have no worries about. I tend to worry about everything and anything. I tend to create jobs for myself at home to try and forget about all the bad stuff, but then i just get overwhelmed with everything i am trying to do. I have so much more to say but its hard to talk about. I am def in a rut of not being happy. I hide it very well, but my wife can see it a mile away. ok thats all for now. im not a huge fan of bothering anyone else with my issues that are so much smaller than so many others out there.

rosa_noir High-functioning depression/anxiety

Hi! I've been researching a lot of symptoms and feelings I've been having. A lot of it seems to point in the direction of high functioning depression/anxiety. By all means, I am not self-diagnosing at all. Just wanting to find answers on how to impro... View more

Hi! I've been researching a lot of symptoms and feelings I've been having. A lot of it seems to point in the direction of high functioning depression/anxiety. By all means, I am not self-diagnosing at all. Just wanting to find answers on how to improve my quality of life. I feel like GPs I've seen in the past haven't really been able to help in the mental health department as much -- maybe that's not their primary focus. I just want to know how I should approach a GP with getting a referral to someone who can really help me. My life is manageable, I get by. But, I'm not sure if I'm really happy a lot of time and just kinda going with the flow, keeping things together.

Phoenix_ Is it possible to make new friends when you're depressed?

I’m very alone, and am having trouble coping with this. I’ve joined lots of organisations to try to make friends, and for three years I succeeded in pretending that I was cheerful and friendly and helpful (and people have complimented me on how cheer... View more

I’m very alone, and am having trouble coping with this. I’ve joined lots of organisations to try to make friends, and for three years I succeeded in pretending that I was cheerful and friendly and helpful (and people have complimented me on how cheerful etc I am); but only a few people have wanted to be friends with me, and most of those have walked out of my life anyway. I’ve had more rejections than I can handle, I’m more depressed than ever, I’m not able to pretend any more, so I expect I would scare off anyone new. I have run out of psychology visits for this year, but I wouldn’t have needed so many if I had people in my life to have regular conversations with. There are 3-4 nice people I can talk to maybe once a month, when they have time, but they are all busy with work and family most of the time, I'm a much lower priority. It seems that the more you need friends, the harder it is to find any.

Jezzsm im struggling with my thoughts lately
  • replies: 4

So anyway since my first day at primary school to the end of high school. I have always been picked on having trash thrown at me, gang up on in groups of 5 or me bashed then left me laying there called me loser , creepy, dumb , worthless and poor bec... View more

So anyway since my first day at primary school to the end of high school. I have always been picked on having trash thrown at me, gang up on in groups of 5 or me bashed then left me laying there called me loser , creepy, dumb , worthless and poor because im ugly and due to that i have been isolated most of my life no body wants to be friends with the ugly kid. my family life isn't much better either my mum is a abusive alcoholic i have no dad and during school basically was living on and off the streets which was really hard to get good grades because as soon i was 15 i got a part time job so i could help pay mums rent, hotel, food or education school fees but most of my money i gave to my mum went to alcohol anyway. When i was 18 i moved into a share house because i couldn't stand my mum anymore i started a apprenticeship and recently finish im 23 now. i always thought it would get better when i got a roof over my head, car and a good income but i still find myself isolated and really struggling my thoughts lately. But i find it hard to reach out because i have anxiety lately i feel like there is someone in my mind always giving me negative thoughts making me feel down, worthless etc... like im a failure, your worthless, nothing is ever good is going to happen to you. i don't think help will work but has anyone out here had a similar story and had a positive outcome.