Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Whysosad Feeling over whelmed
  • replies: 11

Hi, moved in to a new place following eviction because my partner lost his job. Because being evicted finding somewhere else was very hard. I know I should be happy to have a place but I really feel bad here. The landlord is in the back of the house ... View more

Hi, moved in to a new place following eviction because my partner lost his job. Because being evicted finding somewhere else was very hard. I know I should be happy to have a place but I really feel bad here. The landlord is in the back of the house which has been blocked off, so blocked off windows, it's so dark. There is no curtains or heating, no airial for tv, blocked sink and bath. I don't want to be here, stuff is everywhere from moving, just the thought of unpacking is too much.I just want to run but nowhere to go.

iitzpeterr I’m scared of what’s to come
  • replies: 2

I’ve been depressed for awhile now and recently I’ve lost the girl I loved more than anything and I’ll admit it I deserve it I’m a piece of trash but I now have nothing left and I know she’s doing fine she has a lot of people for her and distractions... View more

I’ve been depressed for awhile now and recently I’ve lost the girl I loved more than anything and I’ll admit it I deserve it I’m a piece of trash but I now have nothing left and I know she’s doing fine she has a lot of people for her and distractions and safe places. Just life has been tough this year especially, I used to enjoy coming to highschool especially since I was freshman 10th grade now going into 11th but what now. I have nothing left we agreed to be friends as I was the one being dumped but I can’t let go of what we had and I’m scared to sleep cause it’s all I think about all the dreams I get hurt and I’ve now fallen even deeper into the hole where the urge to die has become stronger I can’t no more I’ve delayed my death so many times but I just can’t be f****d and keeping in contact with her since we are still friends hurts me so much the spark is gone it went from a “goodnight I love you” to a “goodnight love you” because a guy came into play and well ruined everything I don’t expect help or anything I just needed to rant I literally have nobody my heart is aching

Guest_0845 Why I am always lonely and useless
  • replies: 2

I find myself sitting at home every Friday and Saturday night hating life, being lonely, feeling useless, feeling like a waste of space, I have always had a lot of trouble making friends, I've Not ever really had any really. I've always been the ugly... View more

I find myself sitting at home every Friday and Saturday night hating life, being lonely, feeling useless, feeling like a waste of space, I have always had a lot of trouble making friends, I've Not ever really had any really. I've always been the ugly duckling, people don't want anything to do with me, nobody will talk to me, I try to meet new people and it just doesn't get me anywhere and makes me feel worse, it makes me feel like I'm a waste of space, my family don't understand, therapy doesn't fix my issues, I'm guessing nothing will???

alexis123 when will it get better
  • replies: 3

I’ve left the house probably 3-4 times in the whole year as i have been struggling to leave the house/ go to social gatherings, as i get severely anxious and freak out and go home. I don’t wanna be like this anymore, i’ve lost everything, my friends,... View more

I’ve left the house probably 3-4 times in the whole year as i have been struggling to leave the house/ go to social gatherings, as i get severely anxious and freak out and go home. I don’t wanna be like this anymore, i’ve lost everything, my friends, my family and i know it’s my fault because i dont go out, but i always feel sad seeing everyone out enjoying their life, i’ve wasted a year and a half beint stuck inside and miserable, i know covid had a lot of us stuck inside but i’ve been this way since before covid. I’ve turned to binge eating and am extremely overweight and unmotivated to do anything, please any tips on how to survive life

0ldDog Mental Paralysis
  • replies: 21

I began experiencing physically health issues even before I burned out at my last job almost five years ago. Initially it was the odd illness and infection, something that would normally be short-lived but even those began to stretch out and my plan ... View more

I began experiencing physically health issues even before I burned out at my last job almost five years ago. Initially it was the odd illness and infection, something that would normally be short-lived but even those began to stretch out and my plan to take time out to recharge went out the window almost immediately. As for my mental health, I’ve gone through several periods of varying lengths of severe depression during my lifetime, and looking back, I’m not sure that depression ever really goes away. In my case, long-term stress, coupled with physical exhaustion and a sense of being trapped in a seemingly hopeless situation seems to be the trigger. Even before the underlying cause of my physical health issue was discovered, severe depression had set in. I wasn’t thinking clearly when I stopped work and spent 18 months living in a haze, during which time I lived off my savings and drew on my super until I had nothing left. I don’t know how I found the strength, if that is the right term, to approach Centerlink for assistance but at some point I did. I don’t remember much of what was discussed but I do recall breaking down in tears at some point during the assessment. Several years have passed since and I am still stuck in the same loop, physical and mental health issues continue, concerns about accommodation, financial debt I can never repay, and the list goes on. I can only describe my depression as paralysing, an inability to act. There is this whirlpool constantly churning in my head and I am frozen. Numerous psychologist, counsellors, etc., have dutifully handed me details of charities and organisations that I should contact for help but if it were that easy, wouldn’t I have already found and contacted them. I take those pieces of paper home, put them on the side and stare at them occasionally, going through what I might say during the phone call, wondering if I will remain composed, embarrassed that I have to seek their help and concerned that others would benefit more from their assistance than me. Over time I consign those contact details to a pile out of the way until they eventually end up in the recycle bin. Even to me it seems an idiotic situation for someone who once managed a team of 30+ people. And then there is the flipside, when I am angry, which seems to be just about every day now and a very good reason why I do my utmost to avoid people. I try my best to be polite when I venture out once a fortnight to shop, swapping platitudes with those I engage with, however I am painfully aware that I have a short fuse which can and has resulted in angry expletive laden sprays, including at friends recently. I am also aware that I do misinterpreting things, reacting without thinking and the most frustrating of all, saying things without realising, only to review later and wonder why I said what I did. I even start sentences and don’t finish them or fail to provide context until I see confusion on the other persons face, prompting me to consider what I have said and attempt to correct or add the necessary context. I have spent many days writing whatever this is, and I am not even sure why I am doing it. I have often written letters to the likes of the ABC to air my views on various topics that frustrate the hell out of me but have never finished or posted them. I struggle nowadays to find the words and when I do throw words on paper, I often get so frustrated that I can feel my blood pressure go up or my jaw stiffening, whilst at other times a wave of tiredness descends. I know that tiredness worsens my dyslexia and trying to compensate for dyslexia requires additional brain processing energy, so it’s a double edge sword. When I was younger, I had the time and good friends to help me find my way out of depression but as I get older, I find I no longer have the resilience or energy. I’m not liking old age and it’s not liking me much either. I regularly experience physical pain and discomfort and no longer know which is worse, that or the mental pain. The pragmatist in me concludes that I have nothing left in the preverbal tank, nothing left to offer and nothing to look forward to. This is not what I consider to be life, but more a case of simply existing. Yes someone could throw me in hospital, talk with me for hours, which they have done already or pump me full of medication (done that too) but at the end of the day, the issues that have influenced my life over the past few years will remain unresolved. Perhaps something in this diatribe will help someone better understand what depression can be like for those who live with it.

BeforeCare Comfort eating, drinking vicious cycle
  • replies: 7

Ive gained over 30kg in 3 yrs. I've been depressed, medicated, therapy etc.All after horrid workplace experiences, time off and stressors relating to that. Then not dealing with the issues I was hiding under the carpet at home which has since been ta... View more

Ive gained over 30kg in 3 yrs. I've been depressed, medicated, therapy etc.All after horrid workplace experiences, time off and stressors relating to that. Then not dealing with the issues I was hiding under the carpet at home which has since been talked about with marriage counselling and I feel that's okay now. In the last 2 years I've had anxiety, and apparently all my recent medical concerns (shortness of breath when walking, palpatations (which are 'harmless' ventricular ectopics an average of 5 per hour) and chest pain are all just anxiety. (confirmed recently after having heart/chest tests) So I can't really identify stress or anxiety now but I'm still not in a good place I cry almost daily. I hate my reflection, the way I look and feel now. I've been talking with a psychologist monthly, it's only telehealth, I'm not really sure the point of it. I've met some goals like going back to work and dealing with annoyances, I've stopped the medication prescribed when I was at my worse (that I was blaming for my weight gain) but I've since gained another 7kg I need help with a) comfort eating (today it was a box of shapes I bought to share, not even my favourite flavour, sometimes it'll be the cooking chocolate, or even just toast, I just binge eat then feel crap. I do this with wine too (I have alcoholism in my family but I can go several nights in a row without) B) motivation to exercise, I can't believe a whole week had gone by again, so I'm only excericing once a week. When I was at a healthy weight I was doing 4-5sessions per week and felt so much better Obviously overeating and not excersing has contributed to my weight gain, I'm now in the tripple digits is this why I'm feeling so depressed? Im having such negative thinking creeping up on me again. Im not sleeping. But I was told 5hrs is fine. I just can't switch myself off. If I do go to bed early I won't sleep, psychologist has taked about strategoes but I cant get them to work in my head. Its like I dont have the cocentration, Unless I'm.fully dozing, late at night (or a bottle of wine, that gets me to sleep) What can't I just do it? I don't want to keep feeling this way, it's like long term self harm. My parents and sisters have had weight loss surgery but I wouldn't be ready for that as I'd probably cheat it anyway, I need to start in my head. What can a psychologist do to help? at almost $200 for a phone call, I don't feel like I'm getting answers or help, is not helping but I need help

MyNameIsSam I think im depressed. but i dont know what to do.
  • replies: 5

I think its slowly crept up on me since i was 10. Ive always had the overthinking and thoughts in my head that everyone of my friends hate me. like im being kept around out of pity or they are slowly growing more tired of me. i was only diagnosed wit... View more

I think its slowly crept up on me since i was 10. Ive always had the overthinking and thoughts in my head that everyone of my friends hate me. like im being kept around out of pity or they are slowly growing more tired of me. i was only diagnosed with ADHD in feb of this year, im 21. and it doesn't help that when i mention these feelings- some of them just don't respond. And don't get me wrong i know people have their own problems in life but- its not just this either its the fact that i just- sit at my computer looking at the screen with nothing to do because everything i can do i just no longer find any enjoyment. i find myself no longer joining voice calls with friends because i feel like im just- being such a drag to their conversations and like im just interrupting them. i feel numb to life, every day is the same and the only change is the days where i have to put on a smile when i go to work or go out with family i don't know if i should seek out admitting myself into inpatient for intense and urgent help or find some poor therapist to info dump everything too just to get prescribed anther medication (my psych for my adhd put me on a mood stabilizer when i brought these feelings forward) i don't think i want to die, i just kind of wish to stop existing and stop feeling like i do. im tired of feeling like this all the time with minimal happy in between

Q92 I have lost hope things will get better
  • replies: 4

In July last year my wife left me, she wanted to live a Polyamorous life and it was the first I heard of it. We were married 6 months and together for nearly 8 years. It broke me, I moved to be closer to friend and away from the places that hold memo... View more

In July last year my wife left me, she wanted to live a Polyamorous life and it was the first I heard of it. We were married 6 months and together for nearly 8 years. It broke me, I moved to be closer to friend and away from the places that hold memories and my family. I have been struggling with depression ever since, I have tried dating but finding someone who feels the same about me that I do about them seems impossible. I try to put a positive outlook on things but no matter how much I try, how much I hope for things to start gettings better they don't. Next month I will be able to file for divorce, I think the only reason I want to is so that I never have to have contact with my ex past that. I want to hope that I will fall in love again, have the life I thought I was leading and working towards. The more time that passes the more jaded and cynical I become. I wish every night that I could just fall asleep and not wake up so I didn't have to endure another day of pained existence. I care too much about my friend and family to take matters into my own hands so I just wish for it to be taken out of my hands instead. I don't want to visit my family for Christmas because of the anxiety I feel travelling back there. Everyone around me has something they are looking forward to or working towards, I don't have anything.

Mickii Depression and Alcohol
  • replies: 25

Hi Everyone. I am interested to hear about your experience with alcohol and depression. I self medicate with alcohol. Maybe I am an alcoholic but I don't know. I know when I drink I feel better mentally but non physically, I can mix with people and f... View more

Hi Everyone. I am interested to hear about your experience with alcohol and depression. I self medicate with alcohol. Maybe I am an alcoholic but I don't know. I know when I drink I feel better mentally but non physically, I can mix with people and feel I am happier. I am worried about how much I drink though...never more than one bottle of wine a night, but often every night.I would like to give up alcohol but am scared if I do I will not be able to mix with people anymore....I am interested in any feedback. Thank you.

LJpd81 Songs you listen to when depressed
  • replies: 65

I was wondering what are your go to songs you listen to when depressed? Mine is anything Elton John, particularly Don't let the sun go down, i guess that's why they call it the blues, Rocket man., something about the way you look tonight. Anything De... View more

I was wondering what are your go to songs you listen to when depressed? Mine is anything Elton John, particularly Don't let the sun go down, i guess that's why they call it the blues, Rocket man., something about the way you look tonight. Anything Delta Goodrem..Sinead O Connor, nothing compares. All cried out by Allure. Flawless by Delta goodrem, Heavy by Delta Goodrem, Life by Delta, Fragile by Delta. Mistaken Identity by Delta. I listen to my sad songs, drink and normally cry. What songs do you listen to depressed?