FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Lost

saffy1703
Community Member

I am posting this because I am stuck and lost on what to do. This past week I haven't been able to stop crying. I haven't gone one day with out balling my eyes out. I am 18 and live on my own moving countries for study at the start of the year. These past holidays I went overseas to see my extended family I haven't seen in years due to covid. Unfortunately I have still had to miss a wedding and other family events as I couldn't stay longer. I got back early Monday morning and went straight to course.  I had a full on week of assessments and stress. I also stopped taking my pill 3 weeks ago because I didn't have enough for my extended week on holiday.  I feel sad and down like I'm alone, I feel like I have no close friends, I have no energy or will do do anything I haven't even unpacked or cleaned my room, I'm seconding guessing my career option feeling like I'm not good enough, I just want a hug. I hope this feeling will pass but and the moment I just can't see that happening. Has anyone else been in a situation similar and has advice on what I should do. How to pick myself back up? 

3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Dear saffy1703

We want to thank you for having the courage to post about your feelings of isolation and having no energy.  We are a helpful and supportive community here, and you are very welcome.

We can hear this is challenging for you, We will always encourage as a good first step, to speak withth you GP about how you are feeling.  A few more options are KidsHelpline on 1800 55 1800, Lifeline on 13 11 44, and Headspace on 1800 650 890. All of these options are also available through webchat, if you'd prefer:

We are also here 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via our webchat.  Our team who answer the phones are ready to have a supportive and non-judgmental chat whenever you need it.

We’re sure you will  hear from some of our lovely community members here on your thread soon. They’re a really amazing community, and will have understanding, advice and kind words for you.  Thanks again for sharing. It’s a powerful and brave first step towards feeling better.

Regards

Sophie M

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello saffy1703,

I'm sorry to hear you are struggling so much. It sounds like you really could do with a close friend or family nearby, and it's hard when you're living on your own away from home. 

Have you got any friends from your classes who you could try and catch up with on a regular basis? Or are there any other activities you could join to meet new people? 

When i went to university, I ran a program designed for international and interstate students just to get out every few weekends to do something fun and meet new people. I think the problem you are facing is really common, and I noticed that people would feel less alone and if they had a fun social activity to look forward to. It even meant they could talk to family about these events when they did their video chats and that kind of thing, rather than feeling like they had nothing positive to say. It's not the same as having family there with you, but it's something that you can be excited about and something you can share with family too.

James

Amanda2000
Community Member

Hi saffy1703

Firstly a big hug to you!!!

I have a son the same age as you.

There are always challenges in life. Once you've resolved one problem, another one always seems to be waiting for us.

You mentioned "I hope this feeling will pass but and the moment I just can't see that happening." - Yes this moment WILL pass for sure. What I've started practising myself is to look beyond the bad-moment and find something good to look forward to. The good-moment is usually something very small, eg. eating pizza tonight. Just something to help me get through the day. And then as each day goes by, the bad-moment would become a thing of the past before you know it.

Regarding your career option, you could wait and see. You are young, there's time to make a change later if necessary. Alternatively if you already think it's not going to get anywhere, make the change now. Don't be afraid to make a "mistake" in your choice. It's how you react and deal with the things that you come across in life. Back when I was 18, I was so disappointed that I had missed out on getting into Law twice. But then not becoming a lawyer had turned into a blessing as I'm in a profession that allows me to work part-time and still able to progress in my career.

Hope this can help you to see things a little clearer now.

Another hug!!!