FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

depression - my coping tool

Amanda2000
Community Member

Just thought some of you may find this helpful to beat the Monday blues! I've recently noticed the pattern of my depression at various times of the day - worst in the morning and struggling to get out of bed, but then improves as the day progresses, low again in the evening when I need to attend to household-chores. What I've started practising is to look past the unpleasant moment and focus on the next good moment. For example, if I get out of bed, I get to eat my favourite breakfast-cereal. Basically try to focus on the next small thing that I can look forward to. Similarly, if you're feeling low today, try to focus on how great you'll feel on Friday as you step out of work into the weekend. The same can be applied to absolutely anything that you dread having to do. Whilst this does not cure my depression & anxiety, it certainly has been a big help for me to get through everyday.

4 Replies 4

Beeee
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Amanda2000,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful post!

It's amazing to see that you've been able to identify patterns in your depression and found a great technique to help you get through the day. After reading your post, I realised looking forward to something small is something I do often, but never realised how great of a technique it would be to actively apply to my everyday. 

Thank you again for this insightful post, you've definitely helped me find a new technique to cope with anxiety and I'm sure you've helped many others as well!

Beeee

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Amanda

You're so inspiring, throwing out light to whoever needs it. Your powers of observation are impressive. Our powers of observation are definitely a handy tool at times. As you touch on 'What time of the day can I feel myself 'in charge' or in a state of charging up or being fully charged? What time of the day can I feel myself powering down?'. 'What or who exhausts me (draining my energy faster)? What or who inspires me or charges me up, giving me a bit of a power surge?' are some other handy questions to ask, on the quest to better understand how we tick. Btw, I'm a gal who finds a significant stretching and yawning routine in the morning helps put me in charge. I think the stretching is about stretching out any tension and over relaxed energy we may have woken up with. The yawning: I read somewhere where it's the body's way of re-calibrating. A yawn will bring in as much oxygen as the lungs/body needs while expelling levels of carbon dioxide it functions best without. The body's so intelligent.

Powers of observation can also get a little depressing at times, I've found. This is something I've become more aware of and more careful with over time. You know like how sometimes you can be thinking in a round about way 'What am I observing?' and then you might realise it's in fact the number of people bringing you down or leaving you vibing in 'down' or depression. While upsetting in the initial realisation, the upswing can come from the realisation that you're actually trying to raise yourself in a number of ways without a lot of help. Full realisation, 'I'm actually a legend, doing this raising business largely on my own'. It's seriously hard work at times, seriously hard. Without a doubt you're a legend Amanda, raising your self awareness, raising your consciousness, working on raising your spirits and the spirits and consciousness of others too.

Thanks for the charge up, leading me to smile and feel the connection you've so lovingly thrown out to all you  wish to make a positive difference to. With so many people 'throwing shade' these days, so nice to meet someone who loves to throw some light. You're beautiful ❤️

z0z
Community Member

Hi Amanda!!! This is really great advice! And such a good recognition of certain thoughts coming at certain times

Another thing i think is super helpful is when you notice yourself feeling down sort of distracting yourself! For example, if you start to feel a bit low pop on so music and do some painting or drawing! Or if I'm feeling exhasted i just read or water plants (they dont have to be big activities 🙂 )Or another example when i feel anxious I do some baking :)It keeps my mind and my hands busy and sometimes I find that even though its important to deal with and understand our thoughts, sometimes all we need is a bit of distraction to ridirect us!!! I found that keeping myself "moving" has been a massive help lately!

Maybe you already do some of those but its just my two cents 🙂

Have a lovely day!

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

Amanda2000,

Such great advice, thank you for sharing! Sometimes in life, looking forward to the little things can be so meaningful. 

SB