Young people

A space for people aged 12-25 to discuss life. If you’re over 25, please be mindful that this is a space for younger people to connect.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

romantic_thi3f Eeep! When study is overwhelming! - Tips, ideas and coping strategies
  • replies: 51

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are i... View more

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are important. Your grades don’t define you. (support) Studying can feel isolating but know you’re not alone! Reach out – and find or make friends that can support you along the way. If you’re having trouble finding some friends, join some local communities or clubs! They have lots at Uni’s and even stuff like open days are great ways to meet new people and find out what’s happening. Study groups can also be a great way to meet people and stay motivated. Also remind yourself why you’re doing this; inspirational wallpapers or quotes can be super inspiring. Remember the saying about the oxygen mask? If you can’t take care of yourself first studying will be harder. You are important. You know the drill - water, food, exercise, sleep. Try to stay calm. Stuff that might be able to help include mindfulness, breathing exercises, colouring in, going for walks, journaling, listening to music… If you’re struggling – reach out. See a therapist. Talk to your student counsellor. If you need help, don’t be afraid to ask for it. Also lots of Universities and TAFE offer disability services – which includes conditions like Depression and Anxiety. (study) Find the right study space for you. Maybe that’s in your room, or a coffee shop, or the library. Some people find that noise helps; other people not so much. If you like particular kinds of noise, you can find ‘coffee shop’ noise or ‘rain sounds’ to help concentrate. Make a plan. It helps to do it often so it becomes a habit. Anytime you get a due date, write it down. Maybe you could use a diary, planner, bullet journal or an app. I find the 30/30 App helpful - study for a bit and then break for a bit. You can also get add-on’s for your computer to block sites like Facebook if you find them too distracting. Find out what study technique works for you. Do you like cue cards? Mind maps? Colour coding? Does highlighting stuff help you remember? Charts, maps, diagrams? Recorded lectures? Goals! These are so important – not just writing down deadlines but rewarding yourself for meeting them. Even making smaller goals like ‘read two pages from a textbook’ can help. Break it down into bite size pieces, and don’t forget to reward yourself after!

Sophie_M NEW TO THIS FORUM? Please read this first
  • replies: 0

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindfu... View more

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindful that this forum is a space for younger people to connect and provide peer support for each other. 2. Content from this sub-forum is displayed on both the beyondblue and youthbeyondblue websites. 3. Please bear in mind that some members find content relating to suicide and/or self-harm distressing or triggering. If you would like to post on these topics, please do so in our Suicidal Thoughts and Self Harm section. Please see also our guidelines for making posts on this topic. Posts made here in the Young People sub-forum containing content relating to suicide and/or self-harm will be moved. 4. These forums are moderated, so your posts may not appear straightaway. Information on how our system works can be found here. Being familiar with our community rules can help ensure that your posts appear online as quickly as possible. 5. This is a peer support community, and to get the best out of being here we recommend that you 'give support to receive support'. More on how that works here.

All discussions

Dia Some advice please?
  • replies: 2

I debated for a while about whether or not i should post this so please dont judge me. Im 14 years old and i think most of my problems come from school. in primary school i was a bullied by a peer. There may or may not have been a reason for it but i... View more

I debated for a while about whether or not i should post this so please dont judge me. Im 14 years old and i think most of my problems come from school. in primary school i was a bullied by a peer. There may or may not have been a reason for it but it affected me badly. it was in the form of isolation. i had discovered a love for books and spent my breaks reading so the bullying did not bother me. However, i the fact that i didnt enjoy school was undeniable. i decided to take the OC test in an attempt to start my school life again. i did my best but unfortunately i failed but my grades were a lot higher then my peers. Parents would approach my mum and ask how my grades were so high and complimented me. Although this was a good thing, when my grades dropped my mum would seem angry at me and did not show the same emotion as when i achieve high marks. This led to me believing that i would not be loved if i did not. I studied extremely hard and i got into one of the top selective schools (my mothers greatest pride). At first i had top grades but my marks started to drop and causing stress. Everyone thinks of me as a cheerful girl with perfect manners and a kind personality. They always compliment me for it and i keep up the facade in fear that if they knew the real me they would not like me anymore. I never speak my thoughts and always try to read the situation, the other person's mood and personality, and am always trying to make people like me. However this isnt the real me and i have a horrible personality which i hate. how would anyone like me. I have this fear of people just pretending to like me and actually talking behind my back. i am scared of people judging me and i am horrible in social situations. Recently i have been thinking that my life is pointless. I had one goal which i am failing at. There is nothing i like about my self either. I am obese (based on actual figures) and ugly. I loved singing and dancing but my love for it has never really been supported nor do i have a talent for them. i have no other talents such as musical or sport. I dont know what im going to do with my life I know that my mum sounds like a really bad parent in this post but she just wants the best for me and i know that. She has had her own share of struggling as she raised me by herself after my father passed away when i was six months To be honest i do not know what im feeling. I dont know what kind of advice i need but if you have any at all please leave me some

Blak3 Anxiety??
  • replies: 5

Hi everyone I think I have anxiety. It seems to be gradually getting worse and more frequent. Does anyone have any advice?

Hi everyone I think I have anxiety. It seems to be gradually getting worse and more frequent. Does anyone have any advice?

R_3142 Confused-is this really depression?
  • replies: 5

I'm new here, so please bear with me if I don't make any sense. I've grown up in an environment where mental health was never really discussed, so when I started feeling not happy-go-lucky, I didn't know who to go to. For about 2, 2.5 years now, I've... View more

I'm new here, so please bear with me if I don't make any sense. I've grown up in an environment where mental health was never really discussed, so when I started feeling not happy-go-lucky, I didn't know who to go to. For about 2, 2.5 years now, I've been having off days, where I don't want to do anything or see anyone, and all I can think about is how bad everything is. It didn't seem too bad at the beginning, just a phase, but now, they happen every week or even a few times a week. I'm not in a financial or otherwise position to go to a doctor or therapist, and I just want to know what's going on. Thanks for any help/advice/anecdotes, would really appreciate a bit of guidance.

Clyon I want to help my partner
  • replies: 4

I have been with my girlfriend for over a year now, living together for almost six months. She is the most beautiful person that everyone loves, and I treasure her dearly. Recently, though, she has told me she thinks she is suffering from depression ... View more

I have been with my girlfriend for over a year now, living together for almost six months. She is the most beautiful person that everyone loves, and I treasure her dearly. Recently, though, she has told me she thinks she is suffering from depression and anxiety. When our relationship started, she was amazing. She was so bubbly and affectionate. She made my day, every day. Lately she has been somewhat the opposite. She has moments when she is her old self, but then immediately changes character to something very hard to communicate with. Even questions like, "would you like a glass of water?" Are answered with a shrug of the shoulders. I known it isn't her fault, and I am not trying to play the victim here, but I am concerned. Sometimes it feels like she has no affection toward me at all, and I can't help but feel I am doing something wrong all the time. Due to the frequent changes in her moods, I find myself second guessing everything I do. I have read some posts online, and I know that a lot of her behaviour is the depression, but each day I feel less and less loved. It scares me. I want to help her in any way I can.

Blak3 Help!! How to explain??
  • replies: 6

I've been on this forum for a while. I think I may have some kind of depression/anxiety and have discussed a bit on the forums. My friend finally has questioned me about it (he is being friendly) and I'm freaking out. Anyone have tips?

I've been on this forum for a while. I think I may have some kind of depression/anxiety and have discussed a bit on the forums. My friend finally has questioned me about it (he is being friendly) and I'm freaking out. Anyone have tips?

Kxrrxh I shouldn't have to feel guilty for not being better
  • replies: 3

I have had depression for almost 5 years now, I am 17 and still live at home. I dropped out of school a term before graduating due to bullying and was in and out of hospital and therapy for a while. I still got my Qce and a few certificates and got i... View more

I have had depression for almost 5 years now, I am 17 and still live at home. I dropped out of school a term before graduating due to bullying and was in and out of hospital and therapy for a while. I still got my Qce and a few certificates and got into uni but chose to have a gap year due to my mental health at the time. I am happy with my decision but there are times quite frequently where my family members use my lack of progress against me, to make me feel guilty and it makes my anxiety and depression much worse. It has been a few months and I try to venture out of the house and I push myself frequently but it is never enough for my mother. I have made alot of progress. I dont self harm, i havent had suicidal thoughts or needed to go back to the hospital. It has become something other than concern for my mental health, because my situation has and is being used against me as a form of emotional manipulation. I love my mother but after five years I believe she has an expectation that I should be better by now. My brother has mentioned the "amount of money spent" on my therapy as if it is something that I should feel guilty for. When I first went into hospital late last year she told all of her friends and work colleagues without my permission, she constantly gossips to her friends about me and my family has conversations in front or within hearing distance of me about me as if I'm not able to hear. I snap now and find it hard not to yell when she does it because she refuses to make an effort to change the way she speaks to me no matter how many civilized conversations I try to have using techniques that have been taught to me by psychiatrists. She often uses the " yes I'm the worlds worst parent " line against me or tells me to move in with my father who lives in Sydney, which she has been threatening since I was a child. My family does not have sympathy for me because she has made herself out to be an angel of a human being for putting up with me. It frustrates me that she doesn't recognize that her put downs reverse all the progress I have made, it makes me angry that she refuses to acknowledge that it has and always will be my own effort that saves me and that she cannot use my mental illness for gossip or for emotional manipulation. I have nobody on my side within my family and if I do address the issue which I have many times before, she acts as if I am being more rude and my brother takes her side and puts me down more.

ann1100 Feel like depression ruined my life and with regrets
  • replies: 4

This is my story, I am an international student here in Australia. It has been going well for the first two years of my bachelor degree, but when it came to my last year of uni,that's is from last end of July.From that time, other than going to uni ,... View more

This is my story, I am an international student here in Australia. It has been going well for the first two years of my bachelor degree, but when it came to my last year of uni,that's is from last end of July.From that time, other than going to uni , I started isolating myself and not even leave my rooms for days. And when it came to assignments due days , I just pull the things off ,fortunately I somewhat turned in my assignments and passed the last semester. Long story short, I eventually realized that something must be wrong and consulted at GP four months later, and I received antidepressants but I did not start taking it regularly until a month ago.And I am going to graduate next month , and hopefully I am able to go into my master degree. However, I did have some regrets with my grades of these two semesters, some courses that I can just get a part which I should have done better. Can someone give some advices for it , as it really touches my nerves and keep me up at night Sorry for my poor English .Thanks:)

Hanna_ Advice?

Hi, my name is Hanna, I am 12 years old. I'm pretty sure I've had depression for a while now but I don't know how to tell my parents, any ideas?

Hi, my name is Hanna, I am 12 years old. I'm pretty sure I've had depression for a while now but I don't know how to tell my parents, any ideas?

breaza new here and need advice please!!!

hi, I'm new to this, so i don't really know what to do or say?!? i just want someone to comfort me…. I have had anxiety before, but i normally know what sets it off, its never been serious enough to talk to anyone about. I recently had an reaction to... View more

hi, I'm new to this, so i don't really know what to do or say?!? i just want someone to comfort me…. I have had anxiety before, but i normally know what sets it off, its never been serious enough to talk to anyone about. I recently had an reaction to medication (maxolon) and ended up in emergency, it made me have extreme anxiety/derealization thoughts, felt like something was crawling inside my skin. Mum called an ambulance as i was going "crazy". Got to the hospital and they said i was just having an anxiety or panic attack and sent me home... 6 days on from the reaction and I've finally just gotten back into my head from the derealization and i cannot stop crying, extreme anxiety and nauseous and I'm worried I'm starting to get depressed. I also do not want to leave the sight of my mum, i get more anxious even when she leaves the room…? I went to the mental health doctor yesterday but he didn't tell me much just said i am having anxiety and gave me a breathing exercise to use, he also booked me in to a psychologist(i think) but that is 3 weeks away. i just don't know what else i can do, I'm not able to go to work as I'm too scared that I'm going to have an attack or breakdown plus mum has to go back to work tomorrow so thats scaring me??!! please someone give me something..

taraanita Dealing with rumors
  • replies: 2

Hi everyone, Im 21 and this isnt really a major problem and I feel stupid for posting about it but its something thats really bothering me. Basically to give you a backstory my boyfriend (25) recently moved out of his old living situation with one of... View more

Hi everyone, Im 21 and this isnt really a major problem and I feel stupid for posting about it but its something thats really bothering me. Basically to give you a backstory my boyfriend (25) recently moved out of his old living situation with one of his friends (or so we thought) and his girlfriend because he was pretty much paying more than his fair share rent and bills and they just werent very good roommates. In january his friend began using steroids again and lying to his girlfriend who eventually found them, he lied to her, she asked me and my bf and we basically said that it was probably true (im obviously not going to lie to someone who was my friend and shes not stupid) they got into a big argument her bf yelled at me for telling her the truth blah blah blah. So my boyfriend moved out they have since broken up and apparently she has been going round saying they had found a bag of drugs (crack to be specific) in the bathroom (of the house my bf moved out of a few months ago). Shes been saying its my bfs and hes smoking it etc to pretty much any mutual friends of ours she runs into- they dont particularly like her and therefore dont believe it. Now the day he moved out his mum cleaned the whole house so im sure she wouldve found it and also my bfs roommate (steriod man) has used these substances in the past and has friends who do too so im assuming its theirs. But in a past relationship of mine there were rumors of my partner cheating etc and they turned out to be true so rumors are quite a sore spot for me and hard to deal with. I know the side affects and symptoms of this drug and he isnt exhibiting any of them apart from being stressed out but considering as he runs his own business and works basically all day id say thats a given. I have spoken to him about it, he denies it and i know shes not a very reliable source and doesnt have either of our best interests at heart (past events have proven this and seeing as shes speaking to everyone else about it and not us) but its just sitting in the back of my mind because of past relationships. We also cant really be bothered confronting her as she will likely lie and cause a lot of drama which we dont want. this was probably very poorly written and hard to follow but can someone please help with this crappy situation because im terrible at dealing with this kind of petty drama.