FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Confused-is this really depression?

R_3142
Community Member

I'm new here, so please bear with me if I don't make any sense. I've grown up in an environment where mental health was never really discussed, so when I started feeling not happy-go-lucky, I didn't know who to go to.

For about 2, 2.5 years now, I've been having off days, where I don't want to do anything or see anyone, and all I can think about is how bad everything is. It didn't seem too bad at the beginning, just a phase, but now, they happen every week or even a few times a week. I'm not in a financial or otherwise position to go to a doctor or therapist, and I just want to know what's going on.

Thanks for any help/advice/anecdotes, would really appreciate a bit of guidance.

5 Replies 5

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello R.3142

Welcome to the Beyond Blue Forums and thankyou for having the courage to post!

Its not a good place to be in when we are feeling like you are. I have had depression for a few years and I think I understand where you are coming from.

If you can help me a little with a bit more info....I can try to be of some help to you. The people on the forums will not judge you....we are here to listen. Do you have a small support group of friends that you can 'vent' to?

If I may also ask you, do you have any anxiety.....or bad sleep happening?

The forums are rock solid secure for your privacy....It would be great if you could get back to us with a bit more info so we can help you 🙂

Kind Thoughts

Paul

R_3142
Community Member

Hi there,

Thank you for replying 🙂

In my experience, it's just been a lot of sleeping, or not wanting to go anywhere. I spend a lot of time in my room, and the smallest thing can make me cry. I do a lot of crying, even though nothing really major is happening. I've stopped talking to friends as often now-it just feels like too much effort. As for anxiety, I don't think so-I don't get nervous or worried much, I just don't feel good. My sleep isn't too bad either, considering I sleep a lot, too. I just feel bad, and sorry for myself a lot, and I mope and I can tell it's destructive, but I also just don't care.

Hope that was a better description of what's going on. I don't really have anyone to talk to-I've tried, but they've said it's just a phase and I'll get over it, so I can't connect with them, because my issues and feelings aren't always 'rational' or 'actual' problems.

It's heartening to know that there are other people out there with a bit more insight than me, and that I'm not alone.

DanThaman
Community Member

Hey R.3142,

I've only recently joined after lurking the forums for quite some time. I can assure you the people here are friendly and genuinely want to help.

Im by no means an expert to any of this so take whatever i say with a grain of salt.

Possibly try to look within yourself. Why are you unhappy? Is it a combination of things? I know its difficult, but knowing is a great first step.

Feel free to vent any concerns on the forums, we are all here to help and want to make you a better person.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hello R.3142, the biggest indication that depression has sent in is by your comment 'I cry at the smallest thing', although I'm not a qualified person, but once anyone has had depression it's fair to say that we can pick up any signs that you need help.
Everything else you have mentioned shows that you are struggling, and it's impossible for someone to say 'get over it' and that it's just 'a phase you are going through', is really ridulous, but what it does mean is that these people are those for you to avoid, because they will never understand not unless they have this illness themselves.
Depression can come to someone for no reason, not unless you have lost someone very close to you,but the annoying part here is that one day you're good then the next day bang you now are depressed.
People can not understand why this has happened, let alone yourself, so there's a big question 'why', you can't justify it nor say why you have it, because everything else maybe good such as relationship, finance, family or work so why should you get depressed, well you can't answer that if you are able to talk to them.
Unfortunately most friends disappear because they don't have any answers for you, or couldn't be bothered trying to help you, so basically you're on your own, well not really because you may have someone who wantts to help you.
Click onto 'Get Support' and scroll down to 'find a professional' where these doctors are aligned to BB and help those who need help, and some may bulk bill, if not then get the receptionist to send your bill off to Medicare.
The doctor would suggest a mental health plan which entitles you to 10 free visits to see a psychologist, but you have to make sure that you and the psych get on well enough for you to speak your mind, otherwise you may have to change psych.
If you are unsure of all of this then ring the BB phone number on top of the page and speakto a qualified counsellor.
Hope that we can hear back from you. Geoff.

Hi R.3142

Thankyou for writing back. Some great help above from DanThaman and Geoff.

I just popped in to see how you are going. I used to cry frequently too for no real reason and ended up seeing my GP for help. It was one of the best things I have done. Most GP's are very well trained/aware on depression and you will find some relief by doing so.

Great to hear from you 🙂 You are more than welcome to post back as many times as you wish...

you are not alone here

My Kind Thoughts for you

Paul