FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feel like depression ruined my life and with regrets

ann1100
Community Member

This is my story, I am an international student here in Australia. It has been going well for the first two years of my bachelor degree, but when it came to my last year of uni,that's is from last end of July.From that time, other than going to uni , I started isolating myself and not even leave my rooms for days. And when it came to assignments due days , I just pull the things off ,fortunately I somewhat turned in my assignments and passed the last semester.

Long story short, I eventually realized that something must be wrong and consulted at GP four months later, and I received antidepressants but I did not start taking it regularly until a month ago.And I am going to graduate next month , and hopefully I am able to go into my master degree.

However, I did have some regrets with my grades of these two semesters, some courses that I can just get a part which I should have done better. Can someone give some advices for it , as it really touches my nerves and keep me up at night

Sorry for my poor English .Thanks:)

4 Replies 4

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Ann1100

Welcome to the forums....and Australia:-)

Firstly my congratulations on your academic achievements! I am sorry to hear that you have depression. Your concentration would be effected as its an illness that can effect our thought processes. I know you werent happy with your grades of these two semesters but you are doing the best you can right now.

I have had depression for many years and understand how my concentration was effected at work. I do feel your pain on this matter.

Very smart seeing the GP, and for taking the meds too. The meds arent a total fix..they do take a few weeks to work. They provide us with a platform on which we can heal using the various coping techniques we learn when receiving regular counseling.

Your schedule is very busy with University right now, however you will find benefit in regular counseling whether fortnightly or even better....weekly. This will enable you to 'have a clearer' head not only healthwise but will be highly beneficial for your academic goals.

Your English is exemplary by the way ann1100 🙂

it would be great if you could write back and let us know how you go!

My kindest thoughts for you

Paulx

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
dear Ann, your English is very good so let's not worry about that.
We all wish that we had done better with exams and assignments but sometimes there are hurdles which we have to jump before we feel satisfied with the end result.
Firstly I am interested in what masters you are aiming for and the career you have chosen.
It's not uncommon for someone to feel nervous about achieving their dream and wonder if they will be able to do it, however this isn't going to solve the question you have asked.
It takes a few weeks for your antidepressant to start working, some people are very lucky as they work straight away, while others have to keep changing them to find the one that suits them,however if you feel as though aren't beginning to work then you need to go back to your doctor, because with AD it's really a 'hit and miss', in other words some may help you while others don't, but as Paul has said they lay a platform on which you are then able to seek more help and to start to think with a clearer mind.
Your doctor may suggest that you see a psychologist which you can do on a mental health plan, which entitles you to 10 free visits to see a psych and if this does happen it would be helpful for you to talk about what is troubling yourself. Geoff x

Neil_1
Community Member
Hi there Ann,

Welcome to Beyond Blue and thank you for coming here and providing your post.

What a gain from reading your post is that you must surely be dealing with some issues and as a result of that, good on you for getting along to a GP to suss it out. From that you’ve been prescribed anti-depressants, and while, yes a number of people who are prescribed them initially don’t immediately go on them, it is very pleasing to read that you have now started taking them.

Not sure if you’re aware or not, but it does take some time of taking them before they begin to have their effects for us; it’s usually around the 4-6 week mark, so you should be hopefully feeling some more beneficial signs. They aren’t normally anything earth-shattering for us in the way the chemical helps us, but often they are just little benefits that we obtain.

So I hope by this, it will help you along, compared to how you were.

The other thing I’d like to note for you, is despite how you were feeling you still managed to complete your studies and congratulations on your upcoming graduation. I really hope that you are able to find a big feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment with this.

Kind regards

Neil

pipsy
Community Member

Hi ann1100. I note the other's have given you some great advice re: AD's you've started taking. With regards to your courses, if you're concerned could you approach your professors with a note from your Dr explaining what happened. It may be possible if it's worrying you to re-do the assignment once the AD's have kicked in and you're coping skills have returned. Before you started taking the AD's you were regretting your grade markings. I would think your professors would be aware that there could've been problems, so if you could talk to them and perhaps ask about re-doing the assignments, it might make you feel more confident

Lynda