Young people

A space for people aged 12-25 to discuss life. If you’re over 25, please be mindful that this is a space for younger people to connect.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

romantic_thi3f Eeep! When study is overwhelming! - Tips, ideas and coping strategies
  • replies: 51

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are i... View more

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are important. Your grades don’t define you. (support) Studying can feel isolating but know you’re not alone! Reach out – and find or make friends that can support you along the way. If you’re having trouble finding some friends, join some local communities or clubs! They have lots at Uni’s and even stuff like open days are great ways to meet new people and find out what’s happening. Study groups can also be a great way to meet people and stay motivated. Also remind yourself why you’re doing this; inspirational wallpapers or quotes can be super inspiring. Remember the saying about the oxygen mask? If you can’t take care of yourself first studying will be harder. You are important. You know the drill - water, food, exercise, sleep. Try to stay calm. Stuff that might be able to help include mindfulness, breathing exercises, colouring in, going for walks, journaling, listening to music… If you’re struggling – reach out. See a therapist. Talk to your student counsellor. If you need help, don’t be afraid to ask for it. Also lots of Universities and TAFE offer disability services – which includes conditions like Depression and Anxiety. (study) Find the right study space for you. Maybe that’s in your room, or a coffee shop, or the library. Some people find that noise helps; other people not so much. If you like particular kinds of noise, you can find ‘coffee shop’ noise or ‘rain sounds’ to help concentrate. Make a plan. It helps to do it often so it becomes a habit. Anytime you get a due date, write it down. Maybe you could use a diary, planner, bullet journal or an app. I find the 30/30 App helpful - study for a bit and then break for a bit. You can also get add-on’s for your computer to block sites like Facebook if you find them too distracting. Find out what study technique works for you. Do you like cue cards? Mind maps? Colour coding? Does highlighting stuff help you remember? Charts, maps, diagrams? Recorded lectures? Goals! These are so important – not just writing down deadlines but rewarding yourself for meeting them. Even making smaller goals like ‘read two pages from a textbook’ can help. Break it down into bite size pieces, and don’t forget to reward yourself after!

Sophie_M NEW TO THIS FORUM? Please read this first
  • replies: 0

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindfu... View more

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindful that this forum is a space for younger people to connect and provide peer support for each other. 2. Content from this sub-forum is displayed on both the beyondblue and youthbeyondblue websites. 3. Please bear in mind that some members find content relating to suicide and/or self-harm distressing or triggering. If you would like to post on these topics, please do so in our Suicidal Thoughts and Self Harm section. Please see also our guidelines for making posts on this topic. Posts made here in the Young People sub-forum containing content relating to suicide and/or self-harm will be moved. 4. These forums are moderated, so your posts may not appear straightaway. Information on how our system works can be found here. Being familiar with our community rules can help ensure that your posts appear online as quickly as possible. 5. This is a peer support community, and to get the best out of being here we recommend that you 'give support to receive support'. More on how that works here.

All discussions

TheGirlWhoWaited Almost on the verge of exploding
  • replies: 9

Hey guys Well, I'm sort of new to the forum, I actually signed up last year but today's my first day posting because I get anxious at times asking for help. Anyways watch out because I am about to start unloading my worries Year 12. This is pretty mu... View more

Hey guys Well, I'm sort of new to the forum, I actually signed up last year but today's my first day posting because I get anxious at times asking for help. Anyways watch out because I am about to start unloading my worries Year 12. This is pretty much self explanatory, but this year so far has been the most mentally challenging for me, not just because this is the most academically hard year of highschool. Well ever since moving from primary school (literally the last place I felt happy) to highschool, I swear I've been feeling myself slowly crumble everyday and I am struggling to find stable support at times. I have social anxiety, and as a result depression has decided to visit me every now and then too (usually with a batch of cookies that taste like ruins of my sanity). I used to see a psychologist about this, but unfortunately my dear mother decided against it last year, and I feel my school counsellor does not assist me whatsoever. There is no support at home, besides my brother who I barely see anymore... which absolutely breaks my heart and sometimes triggers my sad moods. I struggle to express my feelings both in writing and out loud, and it upsets me that I always feel that I have met no one in this entire planet who completely empathises let alone understands how I feel.But what about my friends? Well... I have gorgeous friends that I would't trade for the world. However, I have no close friends (dead serious, none at all -this makes me feel horribly lonely at times) that I can completely put my faith and tell all my feelings to. This is probably because I already have a close friend called social anxiety who doesn't like talking to people. I am known as the "quiet one" and I hate hate hate it, which I know takes huge chunks out of my self-esteem. This also stops me from being able to relate to my friends properly, or make new friends (plus the fact that making friends is harder compared to primary school). My mental health issues + stressing out over the horrors of year twelve = total hell. And like I said before I feel like I am crumbling everyday and on the verge of exploding. I'm starting to cry a lot more, and the smallest things set me off into either a very raging person or into days of endless sadness. It would be great if you could help, or at least a simple sentence asking me to keep my chin up- sometimes, I feel like I'm the only person in the world encouraging myself whenever I see my reflection.

neverchild Eating disorder as a go-to for depression and anxiety
  • replies: 2

Recently when I feel worthless, lonely and not good enough for anyone, I turn to my eating disorder. Whether it is not eating, or eating until I feel sick, it is all done purposely, and takes up all my day-to-day thoughts, and I go to sleep thinking ... View more

Recently when I feel worthless, lonely and not good enough for anyone, I turn to my eating disorder. Whether it is not eating, or eating until I feel sick, it is all done purposely, and takes up all my day-to-day thoughts, and I go to sleep thinking about it and regretting what I have done. Yet it seems that I can't get out of this pattern, I really wish I could because it's very upsetting, and I disappoint myself every time I turn to eating/ or not eating as a remedy.

positivity feeling left behind & lonely
  • replies: 5

Im a 24 year old female, I’m currently studying at university and work a part-time/casual job. I’m feeling super disappointed with my life and i find myself feeling so empty and distraught. I feel stuck/frozen where I’m watching people live an amazin... View more

Im a 24 year old female, I’m currently studying at university and work a part-time/casual job. I’m feeling super disappointed with my life and i find myself feeling so empty and distraught. I feel stuck/frozen where I’m watching people live an amazing life, whilst I’m at home reliving each day as if it was groundhog day. At 18 years old, i applied for teaching degree, second year into the degree i knew it wasn’t for me. I wanted to change my degree into nutrition, a passion i had developed from the age of 19. my parents pressured me into staying into that degree. At 20 years old, i met my partner, i ended up moving into his house and taking on adult/real life responsibilities (paying a mortgage, household utilities, food etc). At the time i was working three jobs and studying teaching. My partner disapproved of one of them as it was night work and i barely saw him, so i handed in my resignation. Then two of my other jobs started giving me no shifts due to no work. I became jobless, in that time i was severely depressed and angry. I finally scored a job as a medical receptionists. I withdrew from teaching, began working at my present job on a part time bases. My work is very demanding, selfish and i believe has given me a lot of anxiety, stress and plays a part in my depression.I hated it and still do, but i still work there? the amount of times I’ve wanted to quit has been endless, but i need money to pay bills. at 23 i finally decide to apply for my degree in dietetics, Im now 24 turning 25 and I’m only 1/3 of the way through my degree, i now watch people i used to hang with have their proper jobs, travel to exotic places and enjoying their lives, whilst I’m at home doing groundhog day and counting coins to pay bills. i feel very lonely, very upset and i feel i have pushed a lot of good people i had when i was 20-21 away. I feel my only friend is my partner, all i want to do is sleep. i have no energy and i feel so miserable about my life, i try very hard at uni and I’m basically getting average marks. Im so over it living this miserable life, feeling sad and stuck.

JoshQLD7 Am I anxious or just crazy???
  • replies: 3

Hi, I wasn't sure to put this in the Young People forum or here, please let me know if I should move it I know nothing can help but I thought I'd post here to get someone else's opinion of what's wrong with me. I'm 15 turning 16 and am in Year 12. So... View more

Hi, I wasn't sure to put this in the Young People forum or here, please let me know if I should move it I know nothing can help but I thought I'd post here to get someone else's opinion of what's wrong with me. I'm 15 turning 16 and am in Year 12. Sometimes (usually 1-2 times a day) I get really... I don't know. My heart beats faster and I start panting. I don't know if I'm either really worried or really stressed. The best way to describe it is that I feel like I'm going to explode inside. Usually I have no idea or reason to feel this way. If I can, I go talk to someone, anyone, so I can get away from the feeling before it gets worse. When it does get worse (often late at night), my chest starts hurting (mildly) and the feeling goes from stress/worry to dread/terror/panic. But I don't know why or what I'm terrified of, and that makes it even worse! I'm yelling "NO" and "Stop" to myself inside my mind. I want to throw myself into bed and cry, but I can't cry because I'm not actually sad or upset. I feel seriously messed up. I know thinking of my health often starts it off. I have a few health problems. I always seem to blow them out of proportion, googling for hours, etc. Its not always health though, sometimes it's something that should make me happy. For instance, Mum coming home from a week-away trip; I should be happy (and I am) but I get the feeling and have no idea why. Or watching a movie (that I've seen before), and for no apparent reason I start worrying. Even thinking of going for a jog outside sets it off. Deep breathing helps a bit, as well as loud music. As I mentioned earlier, the best thing I can do is distract myself by talking to someone. I just don't know. Is it stress? It is worry? Is this anxiety or just me going crazy? You've probably never seen so many "I"'s in a post! Sorry! Its late and I'm tired. Thank-you for any advice in advance. Josh. P.S. It's not anything to do with school.

ValentinaRosetta Anxiety with being alone
  • replies: 6

So my parents left town for the first time in a while and I am not handling it well, I have been feeling anxious all day but tonight it all just hit me and I broke down. None of my friends responded to my messages and my normal techniques for my pani... View more

So my parents left town for the first time in a while and I am not handling it well, I have been feeling anxious all day but tonight it all just hit me and I broke down. None of my friends responded to my messages and my normal techniques for my panic attacks didn't work. I was wondering if any of you had some tips for handling being alone? I would be eternally grateful.

Courtneyrose Survivor of domestic violence,
  • replies: 13

I finnaly cut the cycle of abuse from my achohloic Dad November last year. Iv had no contact since so i dont fall back into his trap like iv done many times before throuh out the years. This is the longest I Havent spoken to him but i hear lots about... View more

I finnaly cut the cycle of abuse from my achohloic Dad November last year. Iv had no contact since so i dont fall back into his trap like iv done many times before throuh out the years. This is the longest I Havent spoken to him but i hear lots about him because I live with with my gran parents who love and support him buy him all these expensive things he dosent deserve the worse part of it is they know in great detail of the abuse he conflicted onto me. All his anger and frustration was taking out on me, i dont have any surpport from them. Even cutting my dad out of my life it hasnt really stopped because living here is a constant reminder of him and im sure they talk about me to him as well. Any advice on surpport groups in perth would be good or any other advice or comments. Thank u for reading.

Broncies_18 My future
  • replies: 13

Hey guys first time posting so I'll try and keep this as short as possible but this is my situation, as a first time uni student I entered the year happy and excited about the opportunity of entering uni (UQ business management). However half way thr... View more

Hey guys first time posting so I'll try and keep this as short as possible but this is my situation, as a first time uni student I entered the year happy and excited about the opportunity of entering uni (UQ business management). However half way through, the course and degree I was doing was complete rubbish and for me persoanlly I wasn't learning, felt lonely and missing my mates who were either doing a trade or at other unis. I applied for a transfer to QUT and got accepted and took that opportunity with both hands. Throughout my schooling years I wasn't academically talented and found it hard but still got through with a B average and when I got to uni, the learning experience was not what I had expected and found it difficult to adjust. The month leading up to final exams, I showed signs of very bad anxiety and even had an attack at one stage. I think a combination of both loneliness, not seeking help and being miserable in what I was studying may have contributed to this but I'm not sure. Starting a fresh at a new uni in a much more interesting degree I will hopefully be more motivated in my studys but if I still find next semester hard and unmotivated, should I defer for a semester to a year and undertake an apprenticeship (always had an interest) to get my mind off studying and be able to learn new things and experience more in life other than uni. Cheers

Perpetually_Perplexed Trying to stabilise my life, failing miserably
  • replies: 2

Hello all, I'm finding it really difficult to express my thoughts, so I apologise in advance.. I am 22 years old and since about 15, I have found my headstate increasingly difficult to manage. I feel like I jump from personality to personality, uncon... View more

Hello all, I'm finding it really difficult to express my thoughts, so I apologise in advance.. I am 22 years old and since about 15, I have found my headstate increasingly difficult to manage. I feel like I jump from personality to personality, uncontrollably. Large stretches of time are filled with drinking, drugs, dancing, talking to random people at parks and being carefree. And, inevitably, at some point something in me clicks, and the walls of my world start collapsing inwards and I am rendered little more than a crying, selfish, self-loathing wreck. Sometimes I go completely numb, especially when faced with aggression and authority. Other times I feel like I have finally surfaced after holding my breath for a few years and can see things clearly for the first time, but then that perspective will subtly become toxic and eventually my headstate will shift again. I've made many attempts to stabilise my life - Tried going to TAFE, twice. Same with Uni. Each time started out well, I'd be getting high marks and making friends and then, snap. Everything is looming hideously before me and my thoughts become obsessive and I start doing ridiculous things like checking my lips every few minutes for signs of drooping in case I have stroke, I twitch a lot and jump at everything, I try to sleep and my hands and face feel numb and that freaks me out completely. Have nightmares where I wake up paralysed and screaming in a weird voice. My emotions just go haywire and I can't focus on anything. Today I burst out in tears in front of my boss. I've been working for him for only a month, and this is my first 'real' job. It's a nice environment, and the people I work with are all actually lovely, and up until yesterday and obviously today, I was handling it alright - nervous, sure, but staying on top of it. And then yesterday, click, the simplest, most pathetic of tasks are enormous and I become paralysed in place by a hundred different emotions and thoughts all flooding to the forefront of my mind. Thank you to all those who put up with my ramblings, I can feel the inconsistency in the way it's written..

Garicite Super confused and feeling weird :(

Hi everyone! I'm very very new to this community and feeling very confused (as you can see by the title^) about what's happening in my head right now. I fully understand that this isn't a medical diagnosis or anything like that, but just a little hel... View more

Hi everyone! I'm very very new to this community and feeling very confused (as you can see by the title^) about what's happening in my head right now. I fully understand that this isn't a medical diagnosis or anything like that, but just a little help or even a bit of information would be greatly appreciated I'm a grade 12 student at the moment and since last year I've been feeling quite weird mentally. I often feel uneasy but I don't get overly anxious over exams or assignment as I tend to stay calm. I have noticed however that I've been crying at things very easily nowadays, I often feel hopeless and low when I think about my future even though I know that my OP isn't the end of the world and have been quite irritable. I've also noticed that I've been worrying about my friends and friendships more recently, as I've been quite frequently feeling like I'm a burden on my friends or that I'm annoying them, that they don't actually care about me as much as I care about them and basically having a fear of missing out (even though rationally I get that that isn't the case and my friends have never been anything but lovely towards me). I've also stopped doing some of the things I like to do, such as reading or making covers of songs, however this hasn't extended into all parts of my life so I don't know if this is just a by-product of having no time due to grade 12 The thing that worries me is that I want to do those things but sometimes I just feel no motivation to do so. My procrastination has also increased to an all time high and its terrible!! (although that might just be me oops). The reason why I'm asking is because I know that grade 12 is a stressful time and while I have checked up my symptoms on google, I'm not sure if this is just a thing that's happening because of the stress I'm under right now or whether it might actually be a sign of something worse. I'm not sure if I'm just being sensitive and making things up or finding an excuse?? Any help (or reassurance!) would be appreciated Thanks!!

Tazzie25 New to BB...

Hi there, I have just gotten the BB app. I am 18 years old and I've been having a lot of trouble lately. I recently moved from my home town to a city (800kms away) to be with my boyfriend. I have absolutely NO friends. My best friend and I had a fall... View more

Hi there, I have just gotten the BB app. I am 18 years old and I've been having a lot of trouble lately. I recently moved from my home town to a city (800kms away) to be with my boyfriend. I have absolutely NO friends. My best friend and I had a falling out once my boyfriend came into the picture because I wanted to talk to him often. But to be fair, he did live 800 kms away from me and her only lived a couple minutes drive away... I feel like I'm all alone. I feel like she has turned everyone she knows against me. I'm no more than just a human being. I'm no one. No one is ever there for me if I need it except my boyfriend and my mum if I have the courage to talk to her about my problems. I feel like I'm just a waste of space, like I'm an oxygen theif. Can anyone help? Can anyone give me some ideas to help me at least cope with this...? Thank you.