Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

mc0501 new to this
  • replies: 4

hi all, i am new to this online caper and also new to talking bout my feelings. i have been diagnosed with major depression and really dont know what to do. i find myself sad and crying uncontrollably over nothing really. its ok when im busy but when... View more

hi all, i am new to this online caper and also new to talking bout my feelings. i have been diagnosed with major depression and really dont know what to do. i find myself sad and crying uncontrollably over nothing really. its ok when im busy but when i have a spare few minutes and sometimes hours, i just sit in a rut and my mind takes over. i hope you can all accept me and eventually talk with me. thanks

Ally92 NEW TO BEYOND BLUE.
  • replies: 1

Hi guys, I just want to start by saying how good is this site. I first stumbled upon beyond blue mid way through last year when I had hit rock bottom and lost help. I made contact with an online official through instant messenger and lost my nerve an... View more

Hi guys, I just want to start by saying how good is this site. I first stumbled upon beyond blue mid way through last year when I had hit rock bottom and lost help. I made contact with an online official through instant messenger and lost my nerve and burrowed into my depression and anxiety further. Similar to most of you, I had seen psychologists from time to time to help with my anxiety and depression, but they all told me that I had my head screwed on and to take some time to do the things I liked doing - How can someone with anxiety enjoy thinking of things they enjoy doing when the world is that dark? I often got stressed about not being able to decide what I liked to do and it made me worse by realizing that I had come so far out of touch with myself, that I didn't know any of my hobbies or what made me happy. I went for a year like this and only have I recently been in contact with someone that truly helped me. I know some of you may not agree with certain alternative methods but I went to a hypnotherapist that made me realize the roots of my anxiety and depression which turned out to be my mother and my own family. She also helped me to isolate the cause rather than relating it to everything in life as most people that suffer from this do. I find that is the hardest aspect of anxiety...that is often turns anything in your life into a bundle of fear. For me, anxiety turned the most special thing in my life against me, my partner. It was all in my head, of course. But some days it made me convinced he was cheating on me...when in reality I trust that he would never do that. The thoughts were the worst part of it and the hardest part to overcome. It's important to keep your mind busy with positive things when it's like that. I just thought I'd let anyone know that I'm here to chat to if you ever need it, when you feel most alone, most vulnerable. I've been there and know all too well what it's like to feel as though you're surviving by yourself.

Jellybabies Hi from a newbie
  • replies: 3

Hi everyone, this is my first time in here, I'm not really sure what to say, I guess a little about myself would be a good place to start, I am 37, a mum to 4, a wife and I don't work, I've struggled with anxiety for what feels like my entire life, a... View more

Hi everyone, this is my first time in here, I'm not really sure what to say, I guess a little about myself would be a good place to start, I am 37, a mum to 4, a wife and I don't work, I've struggled with anxiety for what feels like my entire life, and I am feeling like I'm at the end of my rope, it feels like there is no light and I'm drowning, I've never asked for help, I've always felt so scared and uncomfortable about the way I've felt, that I usually just suffer in silence, I guess that's how I've ended up in here, I'm at the point where I feel like I need help, I don't know what kind, or where to even start looking so I'm easing my way in I suppose. thankyou

needmore what now
  • replies: 2

the radio and tv have been covering this for a while depression and anxiety. how dose this work how can it help. where can I go please

the radio and tv have been covering this for a while depression and anxiety. how dose this work how can it help. where can I go please

MsWharton Question: Why is there no child abuse survivors forum on Beyond Blue?
  • replies: 3

Why is there no abuse survivors or PTSD forum? Huge number of adults were abused as children and as a result suffer from PTSD or Complex PTSD. Many more are just diagnosed with general depression and anxiety. Beyond Blue has said it acknowledges that... View more

Why is there no abuse survivors or PTSD forum? Huge number of adults were abused as children and as a result suffer from PTSD or Complex PTSD. Many more are just diagnosed with general depression and anxiety. Beyond Blue has said it acknowledges that child abuse causes mental illness. It is in fact a leading cause of mental illness. Why make forums to discuss only the symptoms (like depression, anxiety) and not one of the main causes: child abuse? Beyond Blue has said it supports the provision of more services for people abused as children, so why doesn't it lead by example? This is especially important as it has been shown that a trauma focus is essential to healing and recovery for survivors. Treating the symptoms does not work.

Colza68 Introduction

Well where do I start? I've just watched last nights episode of Australian Story. To be honest, I'm feeling rather anxious and somewhat frustrated as I too can relate to Garry McDonald. The onset of my Major Depression and anxiety from memory, began ... View more

Well where do I start? I've just watched last nights episode of Australian Story. To be honest, I'm feeling rather anxious and somewhat frustrated as I too can relate to Garry McDonald. The onset of my Major Depression and anxiety from memory, began in February, 2013. My bedroom was a place where it was dark and where I felt less anxious. I would not sleep, eat and would work until all emails and tasks for that day were complete. I could in no way settle had I not carried out my responsibilities. I just couldn't. I would think that if I hadn't, I was not doing my job. Not doing my job at all. I remember being totally exhausted. Eventually, I just couldn't do it anymore. That's when I had my nervous breakdown. It was around August 2013. I saw a GP and was prescribed benzo's. This helped me return to work as I was somewhat rejuvenated at night and ready to face my work once again. But I was unwell. Very unwell. In the past I dreaded holidays but in September 2013, I was relieved. Perhaps this was one of my early warning signs. It was like I'd fallen off the earth and with no return. I've been hospitalised 12 times since my illness was diagnosed. I have literally been to hell and back on many occasions. I've had Cognitive Behavioural Therapy with a psychologist and weekly Outpatient Day Program; Low Mood and Depression. I have fortnightly visits with my treating psychiatrist. I've had and will be having another course of TMS (Transcrannial Magnetic Stimulation Therapy) later this month. I am managed and maintained with two types of anti depressants and mood stabilisers. So much so, I am unfit to return to my previous employment. I cannot hold and quite often don't hear directions or conversations directed at me. It's like my brain at times, is to put it bluntly, fried. But, I have come such a long way from where I was 2 years ago. Like Garry, I too have to look out for the 'warning signs' and desperately try very hard not to focus on the negatives and train my brain to warn off horrible thoughts. My illness has been incredibly hard on my fiancé, my daughter and one of my brothers. For someone who was so confident, vibrant and even like Garry, funny to become the epitome of inescapable darkness only a fellow sufferer can understand. Without my fiancé, my daughter and one of my siblings and I must boast; the hard work I myself have put in too, I would not be writing this post today.

Shayare Little insane, mostly harmless... also new.

Suppose I should say hello first? Hello! Finally decided to take the plunge and see what Beyondblue was all about, plenty of people recommended me come here. Like a lot of people I suffer from a slew of 'stuff' that feels a little like that furry fee... View more

Suppose I should say hello first? Hello! Finally decided to take the plunge and see what Beyondblue was all about, plenty of people recommended me come here. Like a lot of people I suffer from a slew of 'stuff' that feels a little like that furry feeling on your teeth, without a toothbrush you can sit there for hours trying to use the old finger brush technique but still there's your tongue poking at that feeling about a minute later. Even with the right tools, you still find no matter how hard you work at it somewhere a little bit gets left over or slides on back in. Anyway enough with the strangeness, hopefully I'll poke around and see what there is to see!

BigJ Hi I'm new here how do I help people.

Hi all I have suffered from depression and Anxiety, and have had someone I love have cancer and is still alive, and I would love to help people with these issues. where do I start?

Hi all I have suffered from depression and Anxiety, and have had someone I love have cancer and is still alive, and I would love to help people with these issues. where do I start?

TrueTransSoulRebel Hello.
  • replies: 7

Hello. I'm Veronica. Transgender. She/her/hers/they/them/theirs pronouns. I am new to the forum and just wanted to say hello.

Hello. I'm Veronica. Transgender. She/her/hers/they/them/theirs pronouns. I am new to the forum and just wanted to say hello.