Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Asatru Hello
  • replies: 3

Hi I'm new. I'm pretty sure I have ADHD (I vaugely remember being tested as a child, but nothing actually came of it i think because there was a lot of other stuff going on in my family at the time and nobody really had time to deal with my issues) a... View more

Hi I'm new. I'm pretty sure I have ADHD (I vaugely remember being tested as a child, but nothing actually came of it i think because there was a lot of other stuff going on in my family at the time and nobody really had time to deal with my issues) as well as anxiety and sensory issues. I'm looking for advice on how to get diagnosed officially and find some help. I am worried that a gp will not take me seriously (bad experiences in the past with that happening, I had to almost die before I got help for a physical illness I had).

Moonchild18 This is my first time opening up to anyone
  • replies: 5

Hi, this is very new to me I'm very nervous about opening up I always just keep all my feelings to myself and bottle everything up cause no one will ever understand i am praying to find hope here

Hi, this is very new to me I'm very nervous about opening up I always just keep all my feelings to myself and bottle everything up cause no one will ever understand i am praying to find hope here

InBetaATM New and trying to help myself

Hi, I'm new to this sort of thing. I have never talked to anyone about how I feel before but looking through some other forums I'm convinced this a good start.

Hi, I'm new to this sort of thing. I have never talked to anyone about how I feel before but looking through some other forums I'm convinced this a good start.

Anroca78 Bi polar, living with a Rubix cube brain!
  • replies: 2

I am 37yrs old. Diagnosed with Bipolar 2 only 3 yrs ago.My last job finished 3 months ago, a job in pharmacy and I held that for 3 years. Was honest with my boss about my illness and she was very honest and supportive. In 3 years I would of had 7 bre... View more

I am 37yrs old. Diagnosed with Bipolar 2 only 3 yrs ago.My last job finished 3 months ago, a job in pharmacy and I held that for 3 years. Was honest with my boss about my illness and she was very honest and supportive. In 3 years I would of had 7 breakdowns, very small to medium ones except for last one which ultimately destroyed chance of employment, I verbally attacked her and walked out.She was not at fault, it was me who caused a fight. My G.P and Psych put me on sick leave. The bipolar brain to me is a Rubix cube. You are forever trying to get moods to match up, click, click. You can finally get it right and then the brain twists again even if you had it right. Happiness is so fleeting, I am on a high dose of medication, it stops the manic highs but does not treat the lows. But there are days where feeling just ok is good enough. I will always have bi polar and realise that having 4 good days out of the week is better than 4 bad days out of the week, it's all about how you see it and approach it.

Tanhere Hello
  • replies: 2

Hello...my first ever here. Looking forward to much learning and understanding in the course of this!!

Hello...my first ever here. Looking forward to much learning and understanding in the course of this!!

pipsy Computer Problems
  • replies: 7

Hey guys. Whoever can help me. This is a really weird problem. Quite often when I'm replying to a post, my computer 'locks up'. It won't move up or down, the cursor completely disappears. I've shut down, then re-booted to no avail. At first I thought... View more

Hey guys. Whoever can help me. This is a really weird problem. Quite often when I'm replying to a post, my computer 'locks up'. It won't move up or down, the cursor completely disappears. I've shut down, then re-booted to no avail. At first I thought it was me, then a friend laughingly suggested 'Divine Intervention'. It doesn't happen every time, and I never know when it's going to occur. I can start replying, then I'll scroll to the original letter to make sure of the facts, that's when it happens (if it's going to). My computer isn't that old and it never happens with emails, just BB. Has anybody else experienced this? HELP.

sinking_mama hi

Hi, well um i have no idea where to stert or how to do this... i guess its an intruduction to me so here goes I have severe depression and major anxiety issues and have been trying, and failing, to cope since my early teens, so thats over half my lif... View more

Hi, well um i have no idea where to stert or how to do this... i guess its an intruduction to me so here goes I have severe depression and major anxiety issues and have been trying, and failing, to cope since my early teens, so thats over half my life, wow i only just realised that. Im also an alcoholic who desperately wants to never have another drink again but no matter how many times i try to quit it just doesnt work. Im also a mummy to the most wonderful happy healthy smart (i could go on for days) 15 month old little boy

Midnight22 Reaching out to others with Borderline Personality
  • replies: 1

Hi I'm new to this live chat and hoping I can get talking to others with borderline personality disorder I have done DBT and CBT and looking to see if anyone can help in how to explain what it feels like to live with it to other loved ones family fri... View more

Hi I'm new to this live chat and hoping I can get talking to others with borderline personality disorder I have done DBT and CBT and looking to see if anyone can help in how to explain what it feels like to live with it to other loved ones family friends partner

Elizabeth CP Wondering why sometimes new threads don't get labeled as such
  • replies: 1

I wrote a new thread under treatments yesterday hoping to get some response from others of how they dealt with things so I could get some ideas. The thread was posted but labeled as a new thread so it seems to be hard to notice. Just wondering if the... View more

I wrote a new thread under treatments yesterday hoping to get some response from others of how they dealt with things so I could get some ideas. The thread was posted but labeled as a new thread so it seems to be hard to notice. Just wondering if there is a reason most are labeled as new thread and not others

65 Hi....this is my first time here.
  • replies: 11

My nick name is... 65 I'm aged in my mid 60s I've been married to an amazing person for 25 yrs, my rock and my strength. We have a little dog who we dearly love. I was diagnosed with severe depression about 25 yrs ago, but I'm sure I had it all my li... View more

My nick name is... 65 I'm aged in my mid 60s I've been married to an amazing person for 25 yrs, my rock and my strength. We have a little dog who we dearly love. I was diagnosed with severe depression about 25 yrs ago, but I'm sure I had it all my life. I take... wait for it... 82 anti depressants ... a week !!! Yeah, even that surprises me, I still have "episodes" from time to time, but I do my best to stay strong. I attend a weekly support group which also helps me. I have joined Beyond Blue in an effort to find even more help. I try to be an easy going person most of the time, I don't drink, smoke or take drugs.... apart from my prescriptions ones. I'm a breast cancer survivor of 5 years.