Treatments, health professionals and therapies

Information on a range of different areas, including managing relationships with GPs and psychologists, and finding the right services for you.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

All discussions

BadTherapy My negative experience with psychotherapy
  • replies: 2

People like to talk about how therapy is the safe haven for all your problems, but I want to give some helpful tips about the negatives I've experienced to show that it's not always true: your therapist will say you can talk about anything, but be ve... View more

People like to talk about how therapy is the safe haven for all your problems, but I want to give some helpful tips about the negatives I've experienced to show that it's not always true: your therapist will say you can talk about anything, but be very careful. If you start talking about other issues beside what you are originally there for, be prepared to have your therapy terminated by the therapist at any time and be sent back to your GP. if your therapist starts talking about working with others, it's their flowery way of telling you they can't/won't be treating you for much longer because they're referring you to someone else. remember that to your therapist you are just a job; don't bother telling them they make you feel safe, loved, happy, etc... because they don't and can't legitimately accept those feelings and you'll be devastated when they're not reciprocated (also see point 1). your therapist is always taking notes about you and how to appear - and you should do the same about them. Either during or after each session, note down whatever you think about what they've said or how they've said it, such as if they're wrong about something. consider using a recording device (even just your phone) to record the session for your own benefit and so you can refer back to something you or they have said. You can start recording and shove it in your pocket before each session. don't be intimidated or pressured into revealing what you've written about the session or your therapist, or that you're even doing so. don't be intimidated or pressured into saying something you're not sure of or you might regret later. If you're not sure about something, say you're not sure or have to think about it some more, and between sessions think about why they're asking, your possible answers, how your answer is going to be perceived as a reflection of yourself, and if you even want to answer at all. don't feel as though you need to go through the entire "termination process" if you or they terminate therapy. It's your choice to leave at any point; you're under no obligation to be there if you don't want to be. be extremely careful about doing or saying anything which may be perceived by your therapist as you being in imminent danger, especially based on your mood, because they may try to physically restrain you which could be severely distressing. ask them to be unambiguously clear about what they mean if you don't understand.

Relay_for_life Is it ok not to take antidepressents
  • replies: 5

Hi all , can my first mild depression episode go away without taking antidepressents . I am seeing a counsellor now . I am trying to pull myself together . The emotional mess that I was experiencing is improving for sure , but still I feel like I can... View more

Hi all , can my first mild depression episode go away without taking antidepressents . I am seeing a counsellor now . I am trying to pull myself together . The emotional mess that I was experiencing is improving for sure , but still I feel like I can't find my old me . Can I pass this without medication . I don't want to use the medication path now . I want to work on my life and try to fix the causes of my frustration .

beyondmike Dealing with Antidepressants

I have had Sub hematological conditions and have over the last 8 years I have had very little help with my reduced ability to function. I use to be very quick and could basically solve problems that no one else could. I am currently taking two antide... View more

I have had Sub hematological conditions and have over the last 8 years I have had very little help with my reduced ability to function. I use to be very quick and could basically solve problems that no one else could. I am currently taking two antidepressants. But all I end up with is making me shit. I think I did more damage to my brain when I hit my head and had two ops on my head than I think they are telling me. It's absolute shit. I cant think like I use too. And I cant work either. Just to write this has taken me heaps. Please help My brain wont work.

kanga_brumby GRRR doctors

Recently I had to go to hospital for treatment for a heart condition I just got. Every day all the doctors and nurses could focus on was my children. Where they were wore they in school. Every day I would respond they were in care or at school. It wo... View more

Recently I had to go to hospital for treatment for a heart condition I just got. Every day all the doctors and nurses could focus on was my children. Where they were wore they in school. Every day I would respond they were in care or at school. It would last all day every day. Hardly any time spent on the person who was ill. Its left me in an anxious state with sever depression. Its also left me in a dark place I don't want to be in Still taking the meds looking for mates

MisterM I feel like my SSRI medication has stopped working
  • replies: 4

I have been on SSRI medication since February this year and felt better, in the last month or so I am feeling back to how I was pre-medication. Low mood, not motivated, dark thoughts, negative outlooks. Is this common? Anyone had a similar experience... View more

I have been on SSRI medication since February this year and felt better, in the last month or so I am feeling back to how I was pre-medication. Low mood, not motivated, dark thoughts, negative outlooks. Is this common? Anyone had a similar experience? I don't if losing 2 jobs in the space of 3 months is the reason or the medication has stopped working and I need to change medication. When I first got on the medication I was unemployed but felt better, more positive and happy. So I cannot with confidence point the change due to my job situation.

Mystery_Belle New diagnosis
  • replies: 5

Hi all, I am currently in the early stages of diagnoses for anxiety and depression. This is all very new and extremely daunting having hidden from medical intervention forseveral years. My doctor in the first appointment started talking about prescri... View more

Hi all, I am currently in the early stages of diagnoses for anxiety and depression. This is all very new and extremely daunting having hidden from medical intervention forseveral years. My doctor in the first appointment started talking about prescribing me an antidepressant. Is this standard? I would have thought the gp would at least wait until after a few sessions with the psychologist. I appreciate any input or ideas, I just feel I have no one to really ask about it.

HorrorHead Seeing a Psychologist
  • replies: 4

Hey all, I'm at the point with my anxiety that I need to see a psychologist. I've gone to see my GP for a referral and all I have to do is call the Psychologist and book an appointment. Something is holding me back. I just don't want it to turn into ... View more

Hey all, I'm at the point with my anxiety that I need to see a psychologist. I've gone to see my GP for a referral and all I have to do is call the Psychologist and book an appointment. Something is holding me back. I just don't want it to turn into a session that focusses on breathing exercises. In short, I'm afraid that it's all going to be a bunch of fluff. I'm starting to become angry about my anxiety. This constant feeling of inadequacy, triggered by the smallest of moments, is wearing me down. I wan't to talk about how I never feel good enough and that its holding me back from succeeding. Does anyone have any experience with seeing Psychologists? Do they get to the point or are they just love ins? I know just going along and speaking to them will provide me with an answer. I don't know, I guess I'm just scared it won't work. Your thoughts are appreciated. HorrorHead

MisterM Do antidepressants shorten lifespans?
  • replies: 7

I was watching Q&A last night, they had a special on mental health to coincide with this week being mental health week. Someone on the show mentioned that antidepressants shorten a persons life. I am on an SSRI, my prescribing psychiatrist, pharmacis... View more

I was watching Q&A last night, they had a special on mental health to coincide with this week being mental health week. Someone on the show mentioned that antidepressants shorten a persons life. I am on an SSRI, my prescribing psychiatrist, pharmacist and also my GP never mentioned this to me. They all assured me it is perfectly safe. Anyone know anything?

Dot58 Current ECT treatment
  • replies: 7

Hi, I have just started ECT treatment. I had my third one yesterday. No memory loss so far, no improvement yet either. I was diagnosed with major depression in 1989 and saw a psychologist for quite some time before being put on anti depressants. I ha... View more

Hi, I have just started ECT treatment. I had my third one yesterday. No memory loss so far, no improvement yet either. I was diagnosed with major depression in 1989 and saw a psychologist for quite some time before being put on anti depressants. I have been medicated ever since with varying results. I did ask about ECT years ago but was told that it was a last resort. A few months ago, I ask my GP about ECT again, he referred me to a different psychiatrist. After talking about all the anti depressants I have tried, he agreed that I should try ECT. As I am doing it voluntarily , I can stop any time I like. I am seeing the psychiatrist today to talk about what has happened so far.

Enjii Doubled dosage and added more
  • replies: 3

Hi everyone I have been on an ssri to treat ptsd for 7 years at a low dose, 2 years ago a few events occured and I was having panic attacks so severe that I called my mother one morning and told her that I was having a heart attack and she needed to ... View more

Hi everyone I have been on an ssri to treat ptsd for 7 years at a low dose, 2 years ago a few events occured and I was having panic attacks so severe that I called my mother one morning and told her that I was having a heart attack and she needed to come and get my children. After being fit with a heart monitor for several days my doc doubled my ssri and added a beta blocker at a low dose. I stopped taking the beta blocker after a month. Fast forward to now. Several months of workers comp and soul destroying menial light duties and a couple other curveballs I am very unwell again. My doctor doubled my dosage again and had to phone through an authority and added double the last dose of beta blockers. Will I become a zombie? Has doubling dosage helped anyone who was able to subsequently wean off the pills to stop all together? ?