FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Here we go again

Blakey86
Community Member

Hi all.

I lay here wide awake with worry at 4am.

Long story short..... 6 years ago i suffered from bad health anxiety which naturally lead to depression.

2 years ago i went on AD which completely made me free.

However after a few life stressors and 3 week old baby I have found myself back down this dark hole. I now have am issue with an inflamed prostate which apparently is a  end result of anxiety and stress.

Im taking the dive again however im terrefied of the adjustment phase. My anxiety tripled, I had several weeks off work which I can't really afford and my wife and new son needs me.

I feel so alone. I know I should be feelig happy my son is here but im so tied up in my own issues. I know i need to do the meds, just so scared to start.

6 Replies 6

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Blakey, welcome

Personally speaking, I wouldn't ever like to go back to life without my meds. It is also hell for my wife and friends.

I like many, went on and off in the early times until I realised the effects. Then I went through a period of accepting that my anxiety and depression has to be managed rather than expecting a cure or full recovery.

My anxiety has been conquered by many years of muscle tensioning exercises therapy and change of professions/environment etc. But the exercises live on, ever sensitive to the possibility of it returning. And in our lives that possibility is there - death of loved ones occur on average once a decade, upsets with friends, accidents etc. We must expect that these events are part of life...but it doesn't mean we can cope with them.

Think of your small family and take care of your health. Your family, your son, needs as much stability in his life as he can get.

Tony WK

Thank you white knight.

I thought i was free from anxiety forever when i did 1 year on them.

I guess 2 year stint isnt that bad really living free?

Im just scared of the adjustment phase. Im going to try a different one to last time in hope the side effects are less horrible. All else fails i guess i can go back to the one i was on last time.

Did you have the same side effects when you came off and on again? Or was it easier?

Hi Blakey,

I found it easier. But in terms of medication generally, I had tried medications to suit me for depression and bipolar type 2. I also have dysthymia a low mood constant depression. So I was about to give up considering it takes 6-8 weeks to work then stay on them for 8 weeks, found out they don't work then slowly go off them etc. So 12 meds took about 3 years to find one that really hit the nail on the head.

And I've never looked back. Tweeking was needed and on occasions I consult my Dr for a slight increase/decrease if needed. But as life goes up and down so does our mind condition so I try not to change what is already successful.

I understand where you're at. Stay with it. Have a never give up attitude. Eventually, as I do, I live life as normally as possible due to the wonder of the correct meds.

Tony WK

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Blakey, it's good to see that someone new has joined the forum, however not under the best of circumstances.

I think that it would be impossible for no one to get anxious, in one way or another, and for some men this could mean the impairing of your immune system to fight any illness that you may have, and if this is the case I can only feel sorry for you.

Men also suffer from PND, just like I did, and it also seems as though you maybe as well, even if your wife doesn't suffer from it, so it's a catch 22 situation here, in that you need to work, but your wife needs your assistance at home, so it's a very difficult decision to make, and whether your boss will allow you more time off is up to him.

You know that AD have helped you before so it would be a good idea to start them again.

For me to stop a AD before I started another one didn't actually happen for me, because my doctor who was also my psychologist didn't want me to dry out, but kept a close eye on how I was going.

There are so many different types of AD so hopefully you will find one that agrees with you. Geoff.

Blakey86
Community Member

Thanks guys.

Very helpful. I never realised that men can get it too.

I start up tomorrow. Fingers crossed it all works out.

Blakey86
Community Member

Guys. Also.

Being a worry wort.

I cant help be research captain google.

I know AD are risk vs benifit. Im worried that the more I use AD. Will that make me dependant on it? I just dont want to be on this for life.