FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Restarting medication

Bellaboo
Community Member

Hi, This is my first post but I have been looking at this site for a long time, have finally decided to post because I need some advice.  I have come off antidepressants about 2 months ago and am wanting some advice about whether I should restart meds.  I was on an SSRI for approx. 2 years with good success, I have anxiety and recently depression also.  I regularly see a Psychologist and have good support from my husband. I stopped the meds because I felt good and thought I was now fine, which I know is not a good idea, but I also stopped because I had gained weight and wanted to see if I stopped it would magically fall off!!

Of course this didn't happen and 2 months later I am the same weight and slowly my symptoms are returning. I have had anxiety most of my life and know I will have to manage this forever. I am coping ok but I constantly have to manage my symptoms and exercise a lot to keep the anxiety away.  Im sure a lot of you can appreciate this is hard work.

Anyway I would like some advice about whether its too soon to go back on meds or should I push through, knowing I will probably go back on them at some point??

Thankyou for reading and hopefully I will hear back from some of you.

6 Replies 6

Fitzy64
Community Member
Hi Bellaboo,  This is my first post also and I can relate to your dilemma about that awful time when we come of SSRI's.  Like you I spent just over a year on them after developing health anxiety following spine surgery.  Once I was symptom free it was decided to wean me off over a 2 month period and like yourself I had a recurrence of anxiety symptoms but I found that I was able to immediately identify  what was happening  and utilize my CBT skills to effectively manage the worst of it.  You are right it is hard work , however it is empowering and worth it if you are able.  

fatima
Community Member

i have had same experience and have gone back on meds. I would love to go without but right now its too hard and I just cant manage to 'keep up appearances' without the help of the meds.

it would be great if you can deal with your anxiety without the meds but if not, maybe it is better to take meds than to suffer? Only you can decide where the cut off point is for you.... no matter what you decide, it is already a real bonus to know that you have meds that work for you and there is a little light shining in that dark tunnel.

all the best

White_Rose
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Dear Bellaboo

Hello there. Welcome to the forum.

To medicate or not to medicate, that is the question. Well, that's really between you and your doctor. Did you discuss this with your prescribing doctor before you stopped taking medication? What did he/she say about this? Two months is not a long time to judge how well you are doing. You have barely got the drugs out of your system and inevitably there will be a backlash. Your body has got used to these chemicals. It's bit like not drinking coffee. After a short time the body craves for its fix and your brain tells you that you cannot cope without it.

So really it's up to you to decide if you can get through this time without chemical help. You have had two different answers from Fitzy and Fatima. They have different experiences of stopping ADs. I stopped taking my ADs a week ago after a gradual withdrawal. There were a number of reasons for this and it was suggested I just switch to another AD. I made the decision to find out what I am like underneath without ADs which I have been taking for several years. At the moment I am managing OK but whether or not this will last I have no idea.

Weight gain is an unfortunate side effect and losing it again is not always easy. Again two months is not a long time. You have got into a particular eating habit or routine and that's not easy to change. You will probably need some help to lose weight but try and keep this a separate issue to your depression.

You see a psych which is great. What did he/she say about losing the ADs? It would be good to talk about this with your psych. All the good things you learned to do to care for yourself while still taking ADs can still be implemented. And you will have the satisfaction of knowing it is you doing this, not the effect of meds.

The other side is that you have not yet built up your skill set for coping and need meds for a while longer. As I said you really need to talk about this with your doctor and psych.

Good luck. Keep us informed about your progress.

Mary

IAMTHAT_IAM
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Chow Bellaboo & everyone

I read your post, sorry haven't got to replies yet but wanted to share a little.

My meds have been a on and off thing for years but the last time I found one in 2010 and have been on them ever since. I did this because my quality of life and conditions were just a cycle and I too had weight gain and this has concerned me for some time as I want to spend quality time with my son (thats a cartoon character of hime, my profile pic) I tried all sorts of diets and being a 41 yo male even trying Jenny Craig as an imposter online! Just recently someone I know went to see a dietician whom also works with the CSIRO, I photo copied the plan that they received and followed it and I am loosing 2.5kg per week and eating a wide selection of food. Its more about the position sizes but still having dairy, fruit, snacks, chocolate, meat, veggies etc and it incorporates free foods that you can eat anytime if you need. Now these free foods are vegetables (non starch) and I used to be a chef so I started making all different soups and now raw chop mixed salads with brought dressings. The results are amassing I am feeling so good, playing tennis with my son and haven't really been wanting any particular foods because there all in there as sometimes foods or all the time foods, I eat a piece of fruit each day. Dairy but the most important is the breakfast straight away when you get up to kick start your metabolism. Anyway please look up CSIRO recipes cookbook and food guides they give governments recommendations and theres lots info out there to compile a plan. I hope this helps I understand what you feel and have had the weight issue for at least 5 years as a slow gradual oh where did that happen sort of thing. cheers Aaron

Thankyou to all for replying to my post, it means a lot. 

I did decide by myself I was going to have a trial off my meds, but I did talk to my psych before I did it.  The previous appt with him we had decided that I would stay on my meds for another 2 years because I had put up with anxiety for 20+ years and I was sick of fighting it etc.  BUT,  2 months ago I felt things were very settled in my life and I was feeling so  good that I would see if I could handle life without them.  The reason for waiting another 2 years was also because my oldest son is going into VCE next year and thought the next few years might pose some challenges in this regard.

But that's the thing isn't it, your life can be stress free but that doesn't necessarily mean that the anxiety and depression will stay away does it?  I think that's what I have realised in the last 2 months being off meds, that anxiety and depression doesn't discriminate.

I think with the weight gain its probably also been an age thing, being in my 40's now I have to be a lot stricter than I used to.

Thanks everyone

Hello Bellaboo

It's great that you have made your own decision, congratulations. Yes, it's a sad thing thing that stress is always around, but it is also the thing that drives us to achieve and grow, so not all bad.

It seems to me that the effect of medication can decrease over time. Not sure if this is a fact or not, or just my observation. To me, meds should be used sparingly. There are other ways to manage illness in many cases but it's very easy to go down the medication path.

Well you have made your decision which is good. And it appears it is for the right reason. Yes you may experience some withdrawal problems or find managing hard at times in the future. Remember that you are training to be more resilient. Resilience, like any other muscle, needs exercise to become strong. Practice your positive coping mechanisms and now and then review your progress and pat yourself on the back.

Mary