Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Azza102 Someone help me...
  • replies: 3

Hi, I suppose that I will start from the start, I am 17 years old, when I started attending High school I have been bullied every day that I was at that school, anything from being called names that you would think shouldn't take offence to, like Fis... View more

Hi, I suppose that I will start from the start, I am 17 years old, when I started attending High school I have been bullied every day that I was at that school, anything from being called names that you would think shouldn't take offence to, like Fish, (In reference to my abnormally large eye sockets) or pizza, (In reference to my severe acne) but to myself I personally took offence. and the bullying continued getting worse, and phyical, from year 8-10 I was repeatably beaten, I would constantly go home with cuts and bruises, and at a few stages I actually had an eye socket hairline fracture, and fractured ribs also resulting in lung infections. But when ever I took the problem to the school teachers or social worker, they assumed I was doing something to encourage it, but I wasn't, I was that kind of kid who sat at the back of the class playing games or doing work, I never started anything... After I finished my year 10 at the school, I left the school, and during the end of year holidays, I was beaten by my dad. the first time I was punched in the eye, resulting in a cut bellow my eye, a black eye, and a hairline fracture in my eye socket. I was in hospital for 2 days after, and after I was released I went back home. and in less than a months time, myself and my Dad got into another argument. resulting in my dad hitting myself again, punching me in the jaw this time dislocating it. I then moved to Melbourne to live with friends, after 2 months my friends mum kicked me out, for no reason, just told me I wasn't welcome anymore... so I then argued with her and ended up fleeing or my life when my 'friend' threatened to kill me if I didn't leave. so I left, and went once again back to live with my parents. there was no confrontation after I had taken the measure of taking out a intervention order against my Dad and Mum. so that they couldn't hit me of my brothers. even after this it still wasn't working out so I moved again to live on the coast. and started going to Tafe to avoid the bullies associated with mainstream schools... and all was going reasonably well, until my friend past away, I had known him since primary school and he was a close friend and he was in a crash, his car hit by a semi truck. And myself being an SES volunteer, I was called out to the job, when I got there I saw his car, started thinking that he might not have been driving, because he shares a car with his girlfriend, still not good, but yea... I walked up to the car, saw him, and dropped the Jaws of life that I was holding and dropped to the ground crying, when the others got him out I went up to the paramedics that were at the scene, and was told he had passed... I was then sent home, that was 2 weeks ago, and I still haven't left my home, I even got my groceries delivered. I won't accept visitors and my phone has been turned off. I just don't know what to do.... please, help me...

Memphis Finally all too much, and now seeking help
  • replies: 5

Hello, I am new here and new to admitting that finally it is all too much for me. This may or may not read easily, but considering my state of mind and how emotionally exhausted I am, I will just start typing and see what comes out. I have been strug... View more

Hello, I am new here and new to admitting that finally it is all too much for me. This may or may not read easily, but considering my state of mind and how emotionally exhausted I am, I will just start typing and see what comes out. I have been struggling for the last few months with being me, I feel incomplete and lost which is strange because I have two amazing kids and a beautiful wife, a good job and some great friends. But for some reason I can't concentrate, so I have 3-4 tasks on the go at once, none of which get completed, even simple tasks have become to much for me to start and then finish. I get so anxious about everything that often I start to feel sick to my stomach which is starting to becomes life affecting. It has also started to lead to me thinking things like, my wife is going to cheat on me so I become angry at her for no real reason, except a silly thought that I don't have the emotional to fight and as a result I give her the silent treatment. Finally my wife sat me down the other night and made me talk to her about what was going on, and besides laying on the bed crying all I could I say to her was I am and had been for a while a bad husband and terrible father. Obviously she asked for more details or for me to express more about why I felt like that or what I exactly meant by my comments, but my mind is such a mess that I can't verbally explain how I feel to her. Even today, after another silent treatment because those negative thoughts about her entered my head, I cant find the word to verbally explain what/how I feel about me, or what is going on in head. I guess by writing this I hope for two things, advice on how to describe to my wife what/how I feel and that by writing this post it is further confirmation that I am passed just self help or self healing and I need for my and my families sake, help, so I will go see my doctor asap to seek some professional guidance but any advice is appreciated. Thanks..

notanounceofenergy tired and overwhelmed
  • replies: 6

As a mum to four beautiful kids, I can't help feel that I am letting them down. I have so little energy that I am not able to involve myself in their lives as much as they deserve. I am so tired, I am unable to keep my house tidy- much to my husbands... View more

As a mum to four beautiful kids, I can't help feel that I am letting them down. I have so little energy that I am not able to involve myself in their lives as much as they deserve. I am so tired, I am unable to keep my house tidy- much to my husbands.horror. I am so overwhelmed! I take my meds everyday, but I feel as if slowly but surely I am slipping under. I need to find my enthusiasm again, I need to get my zip back. I don't know how much longer I can go on like this. I need some ideas on how to be happy, I would like to know why I feel so flat... Arrrggghhh! I love my kids so very much xx

slaughterhouse isolation
  • replies: 3

i am depressed, well more very sad most of the time. i'm isolated and have been for some time now. life has always been this way for me, it's a situation with systemic abuse that has been identified and is being investigated. there are some very bad ... View more

i am depressed, well more very sad most of the time. i'm isolated and have been for some time now. life has always been this way for me, it's a situation with systemic abuse that has been identified and is being investigated. there are some very bad services out there, but these days, the police are able to protect me from most of the harm they continue to try to effect upon me. but at the same time, i've been very much slandered and maligned, my character has been sullied and dragged through the mud. at the height of it, health services were saying i was violent toward my girlfriend when i wasn't. it was a bit of a battle to get that stigma to go away and in the end, the director of mental health lost his job over it. so, things are progressing and i keep chipping away, doing research and presenting evidence. that's great. but personally, i feel so very sick with it all. very sad, no happiness, few distractions and then i have no social contact or support. none. i'm restless don't sleep well, up and down. the anxiety, the fear i suffer. at the moment i'm fighting false charges in court another agency has leveled at me, it's tricky but the police report they made is obviously false, i expect they will end up wearing the trouble. the courts seem to be on my side, i respect people, have empathy and understanding. that i live my life by vicarious means, that personally, i have nothing. can't seem to change it or get past it. i have contact with people at times, but they get manipulated or influenced by external sources and turned against me. even become aggressive and seek to cause me harm, disadvantage and bring falsehoods against me. i'm just tired of feeling like this, going through the day like a robot without any hope, happiness or feeling that things may one day get better, i might have friends or people can just accept me for what i am rather than the lies that have been presented against me. doesn't matter what i say or do, i'm just dismissed, shunned and denigrated. how can i feel better or function like this?

Nirvana2013 ADHD & Depression
  • replies: 4

Hello all,I'm new to the site I have suffered depression since I can remember at least back when I was at pre-school I am now 48 yo I am also ADHD which was diagnosed 18 months ago ( to my relief ) giving me some understanding as to what was wrong wi... View more

Hello all,I'm new to the site I have suffered depression since I can remember at least back when I was at pre-school I am now 48 yo I am also ADHD which was diagnosed 18 months ago ( to my relief ) giving me some understanding as to what was wrong with me I have a good job a couple of very close good friends & 2 gorgeous teenage boys who are my world & whom I frustrate like crazy & sometimes think they would be better off without me (though I know this is not true) it is a constant struggle to keep tricking the mind to think positive & stay on top of things. As I have not been on medication for depression for the last 5 years I'm wondering is it possible & do others battle on without medication? Any advise will be kindly appreciated.

aimstar Where to find hope?
  • replies: 2

Where do I find hope? I just can't believe I will get the things I desire from life. I try so hard to be a good person, and I've had a heap of shit chucked my way. I just can't seem to find the belief that everything will turn out ok. It just all see... View more

Where do I find hope? I just can't believe I will get the things I desire from life. I try so hard to be a good person, and I've had a heap of shit chucked my way. I just can't seem to find the belief that everything will turn out ok. It just all seems dull, dreary, a grey road to nowhere. I'm alone and need a huge hug right now.

Miss_K Preeeety over feeling cray-cray
  • replies: 7

I guess I just want to vent without anyone knowing who I am so here it goes! I'm currently sitting at my work desk at my full time job writing bits and pieces here in between answering calls and emails. I actually don't mind my job, but I'm faced wit... View more

I guess I just want to vent without anyone knowing who I am so here it goes! I'm currently sitting at my work desk at my full time job writing bits and pieces here in between answering calls and emails. I actually don't mind my job, but I'm faced with negativity every day. Essentially my job is to actually try to motivate people myself...and I do pretty well for the most part - I feel that sometimes though I wish I could listen to my own advice. I mean, if I'm telling these people to essentially suck it up and keep moving (not in those words of course, haha), why can't I do it? I've been suffering from depression...or anxiety...or manic...god knows what (nobody can figure me out) since I was about 17, and I'll be 27 this year. I think the reason it's hard to diagnose me is because can be so internal (and a GP talking to me for 20 minutes is definitely not going to have any good grasp on my personality). On the outside I'm almost completely capable of living a normal life - I go to work every day, I'm extremely physically fit, healthy and live a lifestyle that I think that a lot of people would envy. I'm very very lucky and find that when I set my heart onto something, I can achieve it, or the answer comes to me... the only problem is no matter where I am in life, no matter what opportunity presents itself to me, no matter what achievement I've made; I always, always feel horrible and empty and useless on the inside. Inside my head is a constant barrage of stupid crazy thoughts, negative self speak, frustrated feelings...sometimes no thoughts at all... it's just incredibly frustrating and I feel like there is nothing I can do. It's gotten to the point where now I'm not just in a 'low' mood. Now days I snap, I get angry at the people closest to me, and at the smallest things. I'm up and down and all over the joint...and just when I think I might actually be some kind of normal for a week or two - boom. I'll end up in some psychotic crying, helpless feeling state where I'll just cry and cry and want to scream...and I don't know why. I don't think I actually have a trigger. It just happens, much to the dismay of my poor long term partner who I don't think ever would have imagined that his gf was quite so mad...and here is me starting to realise the way I'm making him feel...I feel like he's starting to wonder if this will ever end, if I'll ever get better, if there's anything he can do, etc etc...and to be honest I don't really think there is anything he can do. I'm just thankful for the hugs and patience... I really am starting to feel guilty about what I'm doing to him though. He's a tough boy - a pure strong and confident alpha male...and I've made him cry on multiple occasions, because I've made him feel helpless. I hate, hate, hate that I've made him feel that way. I've been to various doctors, Councillors, pychs, etc - but I guess I haven't been able to stick with any particular one for very long. I've found an issue with finances - even though the government does pay for some of the fees for help...I'm left to cover the rest (some bill charge I don't understand), and right now while my life and the life of my partners is changing (we are currently building a business together because neither of us like the idea of working under a corporation making money for someone elses dreams, haha) I just can't afford to look after my damn brain.... Even whilst being in the psych chair though I've felt that I wasn't really getting a lot of help. Like I said, I look and seem like I'm okay. I've been told more than once that they've actually been suprised that I should be sad at all. I want to beat my head on a wall when they say that because it's really, really hard for me to actually say what I'm thinking out loud and to try to make them understand how I really feel. I can't ever really get my thoughts into a clear enough line to be able to tell people what I'm actually thinking or feeling... With my friends I feel like I should just spare them the pain of knowing my brain-thoughts, so I don't really bother talking about it and cover everything with humour. Some of them know, but I don't think anyone except for my partner actually know how messy it really is up in here. I guess I just wish I could figure out what to do. I do all the right things...I look after myself, I work out, I try to sleep properly, I try to work toward the future, I eat really, really well, I set goals, I surround myself with motivated, loving humans... it's just... I always feel like I have a knot in my heart and a terrible emptiness. I feel disconnected. I can't remember what it feels like to be truly happy and it just kills me inside knowing that.I wish I could just wake up in the morning and bounce out of bed with happiness and confidence... I've already pre-empted that I'm going to immediately regret this post the second I hit that little pink button because I know I hate people knowing what I think -even if they don't know who I am, I hate the judgement...but screw it, I guess I'll have to deal with that one later. lol. /rant for now. And I'm sorry if you read all of that, hahaha.

MisssEz NEW & alone 😞

Hi, i'm NEW to this, not to sure how I'm going to try putting my feelings, thoughts in words, but here goes! I've been surfing from postnatal-anxiety & depression since the birth of my daughter 2yrs ago. I don't know what happen but something just cl... View more

Hi, i'm NEW to this, not to sure how I'm going to try putting my feelings, thoughts in words, but here goes! I've been surfing from postnatal-anxiety & depression since the birth of my daughter 2yrs ago. I don't know what happen but something just clicked in me. I've been trying SO many different Meds, highest doses ect, & nothing seems to be working, I have been to talk to professional & well that just made things worst really, pretty much getting down to the core of when, why I feel this way, which I already know this, breathing tequniques to help with anxiety attacks. Nothing is working for me, & getting tired going back to a GP trying new meds, doses! It's exhausting & $$$, getting nowhere. Hard enough talking to people who dont know you & trying to explain to them how im feeling!!! I've now turned to drinking alcohol as its the ONLY thing that is making me happy ATM, putting me into a good mood & not a worry. But I know this isn't right! My partner believes his supportive of me, but his not all the time, everything ends in a fight & his nasty name calling towards me, when I can't help my moods, thoughts & feelings, Everthing is affecting my relationship, me being the best mother possible to my daughter. And I'm just so sad & confused what to do!

LKate No Motivation

Hi, I just wanted to ask for some advice. I currently suffer from Anxiety and Depression, I'm medicated, and I see a psychiatrist every four weeks. I work in an office a day and a half a week, and go to uni four days a week. (one day is spent half at... View more

Hi, I just wanted to ask for some advice. I currently suffer from Anxiety and Depression, I'm medicated, and I see a psychiatrist every four weeks. I work in an office a day and a half a week, and go to uni four days a week. (one day is spent half at work and half at uni). Currently I have no motivation whatsoever. I get out of bed (barely), shower, leave, spend the day in lectures/at my desk, then go home, spend some time with friends and go to sleep. Every day feels the same. I'm not completing my uni work, and each day I spend mostly down as I just don't want to be either at uni or at work. Theres nothing that I'm really aiming for, I have no goals, and I can't seem to find anything that I actually want to do in life. Can anyone give me some ideas to help with finding something I actually enjoy, or something to help me actually complete stuff? There's a possibility I'm going to fail one of my units because I don't have the motivation to do an assignment. Thanks

mate23 me today
  • replies: 4

i am 16 and a student studying in year 10 I don't know if i have depression or anxiety or if its just all in my head, but today when i woke up i didn't want to go to school or anything but that's what most teenagers feel like. But today i felt really... View more

i am 16 and a student studying in year 10 I don't know if i have depression or anxiety or if its just all in my head, but today when i woke up i didn't want to go to school or anything but that's what most teenagers feel like. But today i felt really sad and irritated by everyone that talked to me all i wanted to was to be alone. I got my results for two of my exams and i failed both of it. yesterday was my Athletics Carnival the whole day i felt like i try too much but then when i don't get the result that i want I felt i wasn't good enough. i honestly believe that i over think things, the smallest mistakes and i feel like burdened by it so much. I really want to talk to my school Councillor or any one but i am scared to tell any one because they might think that i am just "attention seeking." I just want to know if i have depression or anxiety or if this is just all in my head. p.s this isn't the first time i have experience this.