Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Erkle Is it all in my head
  • replies: 2

Hi , new to this forum. I have been struggling with depression for close to 10 years and have a great wife and 2 teenage kids. Why i ask this, is it all in my head is I can go to bed feeling great and wake up feeling down. I usually don't sleep for m... View more

Hi , new to this forum. I have been struggling with depression for close to 10 years and have a great wife and 2 teenage kids. Why i ask this, is it all in my head is I can go to bed feeling great and wake up feeling down. I usually don't sleep for more than 2-3 hours a night but am not tired in the morning. I have been to a psychologist for a couple of 6 week sessions and I walk away from my treatment feeling great. But it only seems to last for 3-6 mths and then I start having the ups and downs again with the up times getting shorter and the downs getting longer. I have been to my GP and asked if going on meds could help with this but they told me that meds are not for me. The psychologist also didn't want to prescibe meds and said that i should try different types of stress management techniques.With my ups and downs I don't feel it is fair to put my family through this all the time. I know everyone is different but is it all in my head or is this not so uncommon.

Sebby First steps
  • replies: 3

I'm wanting, needing to talk to someone about help/treatment of what I assume is depression or some other form of mental illness. It's hounded me for years but really reared its head with the birth of my first daughter 9yrs ago and has never really l... View more

I'm wanting, needing to talk to someone about help/treatment of what I assume is depression or some other form of mental illness. It's hounded me for years but really reared its head with the birth of my first daughter 9yrs ago and has never really left.i mentioned suicidal thoughts with a maternal nurse when my second daughter was a newborn. I went through a very dark time. She walked me through a questionnaire and was worried about the results but she just handed me some pamphlets and sent me on my way. Never asking about it again.In the past two years I've had to slow down and now stop my once regular high intensity exercise due to some pretty major injuries and ever since I've had major ups and downs as the weight crept on and I lost my coping mechanism, exercise.i talked to a dr the other week but he was more concerned about my BMI (body mass index) than my mental health. Actually added increased BMI to my notes not the fact that I had also discussed how I was feeling mentally.these past experiences have left me with a major lack of trust with GPs and I'm struggling to make the first step to get help.im worried of wasting the practioners time and falling into a pile crying mess than I am in front of a professional. I'm worried of them judging me before they know my story. I'm worried about telling my story. I'm worried that I know I'm better off than so many yet still have these issues. I'm worried about being labeled as a sook, attention seeker and waste of time.i know I can no longer drag my beloved husband through another breakdown. I know my children deserve so much better and I need to get strong for them. But taking that first step again seems nearly impossible. I did the questionnaire on the beyond blue website and it puts me at high risk. That's about as far as I've gotten.who is best to seek professional help without a GP referral? i have no idea about all the different titles. Mental health nurse sounds like a good option, approachable maybe?what was everyone's first step? Did everyone go through their GP? Those that didn't who did you see first? beyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636. Normal 0 false false false EN-AU X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

Mr_echo Life long depression

Where to start. I've known I have depression for all my adult life. It's now worse than ever. I also gamble to excess when very heavily stressed and depressed. Both go hand in hand. I don't drink. For some reason my vent is to say oh well, what does ... View more

Where to start. I've known I have depression for all my adult life. It's now worse than ever. I also gamble to excess when very heavily stressed and depressed. Both go hand in hand. I don't drink. For some reason my vent is to say oh well, what does it matter and after the event feel even worse. Can't believe I blew the money the next day. Why do I vent this way? Wife of 23 years is now saying we should split. I love her and my kids with my last breath. I do everything for them. I need to get positive but it seems too high a mountain to climb. I'm feeling physical symptoms as well. Always cold and can't warm up. Multiple issues I know. Marriage in trouble. Causes Worse depression and in turn I turn to my vent which is gambling. I hate it. I do not gamble when not in bad depressed state. My depression is all consuming at times and I just want it gone for good. I want normal life and above all I want the love of my family. I need their support but my wife does not understand the illness. I'm a good person. Worked hard and provided. How can I ask for their support when I don't believe in myself to beat this affliction? I also don't like my job but I do it everyday and feel I am wasting away with no one to care. I would love a job helping people like me as I've been through it all. Feel good about myself and at the same time helping others will be perfect medicine. But here I am. Depressed and almost broke. Money can be replaced and I want my mood to be replaced too. Advice is appreciated. I've had so many things happen to me in my life and I see so many negatives in the world that get the depression into overdrive. I want to be helped and then to help.

Elton Not sure any of this makes sense
  • replies: 4

A lot of people on here seem to echo the feelings I have a lot of the time. Are there really answers or do most of us just need to put up with it? I’m married to a wonderful woman. My job is well paid but insecure and unfulfilling, I spend most days ... View more

A lot of people on here seem to echo the feelings I have a lot of the time. Are there really answers or do most of us just need to put up with it? I’m married to a wonderful woman. My job is well paid but insecure and unfulfilling, I spend most days on my own. My wife is away at the moment and I haven’t spoken to a real person, face to face in 3 days. I usually exercise to help with how I’m feeling but I broke a rib recently so can’t do anything which is making things harder. I don’t taken medication, the only time I ever went to a Dr they told me there was nothing wrong with me. However when I tick the boxes on the test here it says I am scoring High. I guess the very fact I’m even looking at this site should tell me something. I just can’t see a way to climb out of this today. Everything feels like it’s a crisis when I know in my heart it really isn’t. Then I start to feel like an idiot for thinking this way because I really have no actual problems at all. I’ve tried to talk to my wife but she feels impotent because what can she do? Then she starts to feel like it’s her fault (which it isn’t) and then I feel ashamed that I’m dragging her down with me so I just smile and say I’m fine. Not sure what my point for writing all this is now, but here it is nonetheless.

Bubblemum I am enjoying this - a peek into my head as I spin and spin on giddy heights
  • replies: 1

A confession from my life living with depression. I am enjoying this. I am enjoying me. I am happy. I am larger than life. I am sparkling. My wit is razor sharp. My hilarity knows no bounds. I am open. I am affectionate. I am full of love. I am so fu... View more

A confession from my life living with depression. I am enjoying this. I am enjoying me. I am happy. I am larger than life. I am sparkling. My wit is razor sharp. My hilarity knows no bounds. I am open. I am affectionate. I am full of love. I am so full of joy that my skin is stretched tight. Perhaps you have noticed? I am super ME. The biggest brightest version there is of ME. I am a blazing star. I am shining so I bright you can barely look at me. I draw you to me. I love this version of me. Life does not get any better than this. The crushing reality is... life does NOT get any better than this. I'm as good as I get. I am on a high. I am peaking. I am also a yo-yo. I swing from high to low. For me this joy is tainted with sadness as I know it is fleeting. So heartbreakingly fleeting. The only thing that follows this joyful feeling is a downward rush. I know I will free fall. There is no safety net. I have no parachute. The wind will slap at me and tear the joy from my heart and wrench tears from my eyes. I will burn out. My constant companion will make himself heard. He will not stay silent much longer. He waits patiently to pounce. He will try for his pound of flesh. He will want to fill the emptiness with darkness. He is already rubbing his hands together. We will battle. We are familiar. We fight the same fight over and over and over again, slashing and hacking and punching and clawing and screaming until one of us collapses in exhaustion and defeat. Neither knows who will win. I win more than I lose. I am hardened. I have perfected my moves. I dodge and duck and weave. I keep my guard up. I clutch my shield. I surprise him with my resilience. I am no longer predictable. I refuse to be any easy mark. I will not surrender without a fight. I don't let him see me tremble. I try to be brave. But he sees me. He knows me. He is me. We have been each other forever. He twists my dreams. He laughs loud and long. I hate him. Maybe. Maybe I hate him. So for today, I am enjoying this - my freedom and my joy. I am enjoying being so high I am dizzy and spinning and giddy.

Scarlet72 Struggling again, not able to get out of bed and go to work, getting tired of the highs and lows
  • replies: 11

Hello, I was diagnosed with mild depression a few months ago, if I am totally truthful I've had depression for a long time but wasn't honest with myself, my family or doctor. I've always been a strong person who puts everyone else first, troubled by ... View more

Hello, I was diagnosed with mild depression a few months ago, if I am totally truthful I've had depression for a long time but wasn't honest with myself, my family or doctor. I've always been a strong person who puts everyone else first, troubled by childhood trauma and family issues I decided to take a career in social work, helping others to make positive changes then 2 years ago I went off sick for work related stress and anxiety, went through the battle if work cover with my employer and really messed around by various managers in my organisation that turned into bullying, this only made my recovery worse. I returned to work 12 months ago into a role I did 8 years ago and feel totally deskilled and devalued which had only made me feel more depressed. I have battled through, even took up running which has been my saviour but then the depression became worse a few months ago where I just didn't feel like getting out of bed, this happened for several days so I went to my doctor who prescribed me medication and said that I was experiencing mild depression as a result of the work situation and the way my employer had dealt with it. I feel totally hopeless and down on days like this when I can't get out of bed and go to work, even though I know I will feel better, it is easier to hide away at home. The medication is helping, the running is still there but it's my low mood that occurs without warning and simply knocks me off my feet. Here I am lay on the couch watching daytime TV. I feel guilty as my partner worries about me, I want to be myself again, the person I was 18 months ago, however, I am starting to accept that I may not be that happy fun loving person again. Does anyone have advise or their stories to share with me about how to deal with this and your road to recovery. Are there any good groups in the Melbourne area that people meet face to face and share their experiences as depression can be isolating.

Damaged How to get interested in life again?
  • replies: 128

Hi all. I have been suffering anxiety and depression for a really long time. I am really trying to beat it though I always seem to find myself repeating the same patterns because anything outside of my standard routine is too hard to deal with. My li... View more

Hi all. I have been suffering anxiety and depression for a really long time. I am really trying to beat it though I always seem to find myself repeating the same patterns because anything outside of my standard routine is too hard to deal with. My life at the moment life consists of a 58 hour work week which doesn’t leave much time for anything through the week. On the weekends I catch up on house work, sleep and maybe see a movie and that’s about it. I have recently started going to therapy again and she told me I should find a hobby and find groups of people to meet up with,though meeting in any kind of group is kind of like hell for me. On top of that I really don’t have anything that I am interested in at the moment. Most of the time I just feel pretty empty inside. I guess I have lost interest in most things over the years.I Know I need to socialize more if I want to improve, and there has to be more to life than work and bills though I am not sure where to start?Maybe I am past the point of no return? 800x600 Beyondblue’s clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636. Normal 0 false false false EN-AU X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}

deprees8 depression questions and hopefully some answers
  • replies: 3

i have had depression now for two years and a half years and i have coped with depression affecting my life all this time and jut this year it has been worse then usual. for the first four months of this year it has been really bad. my sleeping has b... View more

i have had depression now for two years and a half years and i have coped with depression affecting my life all this time and jut this year it has been worse then usual. for the first four months of this year it has been really bad. my sleeping has been affected and i feel as if my body is wasting away. some days are very good but there will be hours within those good day were the depression rears it ugly head and i cant see the end of the day coming. i feel as if i am drowning. when i feel this way i do get out of the place where i live, but the next day i feel as if i am drowning again and it starts as soon as i open my eyes. has anyone got any ideas that might help me feel as if i am not drowning. i can go days without feeling this way but for the last few days it feels as if each day i am being forced underwater and i only get to breath every now and then. oh and has anyone told centrelink about their depression and was it recognized as a disability. i don't mean to sound as a slacker here but i cant go through the day without thinking about the possibility it might get easier if i told them that i had depression. oh well heres to a quiet night and a fast to sleep night for me. see yas let the hurtful comments begin (by the way i get very sarcastic when i am depressed) and yes i have been tested for bipolar and i dont have it.

BenD For the helpers.

Hi all, Read an excellent post by Lizoria earlier this evening regarding how even those who help others with their mental health issues often struggle to talk about their own problems. The thread is here. In her words, " Saying this here, recording i... View more

Hi all, Read an excellent post by Lizoria earlier this evening regarding how even those who help others with their mental health issues often struggle to talk about their own problems. The thread is here. In her words, " Saying this here, recording it in little bits and bytes on the face of the internet, makes me really realise how unhelpful keeping a 'brave face' is. But it is also very liberating to just let people in the world know that I'm not as tough as I like to think I am, and that it's ok" I'm feeling pretty shoddy at the moment, its almost 4am here in Perth and I'm feeling a bit down, but thanks to the help I've received on this website I know it will pass. Once the feeling goes I can get back to helping as well. So thankyou all who listen and contribute, you are doing a great job and should you ever need help we are here for you too, just as much as we are here for everyone else. Ben

Girl_Anachronism Spontaneous Emotional Combustion
  • replies: 23

I hadn't posted in a month or so but I am not going well so here I am. I am alive but most definitely not well. Since it has been a while, I'll try put everything that has happened in a short a description as possible. I am off crutches but still in ... View more

I hadn't posted in a month or so but I am not going well so here I am. I am alive but most definitely not well. Since it has been a while, I'll try put everything that has happened in a short a description as possible. I am off crutches but still in a knee brace from the post surgical fall i had a month ago.I have been suffering fatigue and other symptoms which i am not sure of the cause of but it has been going on for three weeks now. I have had an MRI and am waiting for the results.I am hoping they find something but i am terrified if what that something could be. I have a doctors appointment Sunday.My partner has a dislocated shoulder with little sign of recovery. They are investigating surgery. It is severely impacting her mental health and she has had to defer uni.I am 4 weeks behind in uni. I have been to five lectures, out of a possible 30. I have not studied at all at home due to all of the factors above, hospital visits to my girlfriend, driving to the ed with her at the wee hours of the morning. I need to do three units to get paid, but I am worried that i won't be able to catch up. Failing could be the trigger for another year long breakdown.My relationship with my partner is strong, but she has her own problems and we are working out how to care for each other and ourselves. We recently moved from a share house with far too many boys and a passive aggressive landlady to a homes west unit of our own. I am writing surrounded by furniture and boxes. This accommodation is more stable and long term, plus far more private which is what we both need.A close family friend passed on the 13th. Her death has affected my sister most greatly, but I miss her too. I was unable to attend the funeral because I was too sick to go. I will pay my respects another day. Her death was sudden and unexpected and everyone is sill a little shell shocked.Some mornings I wake up and instead of not being able to get out of bed because of physical illness, i can't motivate myself to move. I feel depression licking at my heels, slowly sucking me further under. Having been there before I can recognise it, but don't know how to fight it. i am in a bad head space. I know that. I have booked respite for a week, starting Sunday. i feel like I am abandoning my partner just after we moved in but i am stressing so much that I need the break. I need help. GA