Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Xavsyd80 No one seems to understand
  • replies: 6

I've known about my depression for years and have suffered on and off since I was 16ish. I am in a relationship and have friends but now I feel no one understands how I feel and they are against me and I am pushing people away. Constantly in my head ... View more

I've known about my depression for years and have suffered on and off since I was 16ish. I am in a relationship and have friends but now I feel no one understands how I feel and they are against me and I am pushing people away. Constantly in my head about what people are doing what they are saying and how that affects me. My girlfriend although I've spoken to her about this I fear deep down she doesn't understand and will eventually have enough and get rid. I can't seem to keep a job and the longer my unemployment runs the more anxiety I feel about being in an office environment and waking up for work every morning and being a fully functioning member of society. I'm seeing a therapist for the last few months twice a month but I don't feel it's making me feel better at all and I'm worried that it's a waste of time and that there has to be another solution out there to help me feel better. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I know the writing is scatty but I hope it makes sense.

Nickname_D995B0EF-FF95-45 Why do I feel this way
  • replies: 5

i don't know why.... I have a good job (can be very stressful most of the time), a beautiful wife and 3 gorgeous kids. I can't wait to get home to them every day but when I do, I feel terrible. I get moody, upset and feel I snap all the time. It's li... View more

i don't know why.... I have a good job (can be very stressful most of the time), a beautiful wife and 3 gorgeous kids. I can't wait to get home to them every day but when I do, I feel terrible. I get moody, upset and feel I snap all the time. It's like they don't understand me but yet I don't understand me. When I'm at work, I'm too busy to feel this way but seem to want to lock myself away when I get home to my beautiful family. I feel ungrateful that the main things or people who should make me happy, can't. Should I see someone about it it just toughen up and realise that I'm being silly and have no right to be unhappy considering who lucky I am to have such a great family and life.

Sharonika Who am I
  • replies: 2

Hi all, not even sure what is going on with me, so I thought I would put it out there and ask others for their thoughts I feel flat, uninterested, sometimes a little sad, but not overwhelmingly so. Things just don't appeal to me, beautiful places are... View more

Hi all, not even sure what is going on with me, so I thought I would put it out there and ask others for their thoughts I feel flat, uninterested, sometimes a little sad, but not overwhelmingly so. Things just don't appeal to me, beautiful places are met with thoughts of "meh". I can laugh at a funny movie, feel sad at a misfortune of another, I just can't really be bothered with the things that used to bring me joy. I would love to travel, but I worry that I would spend all that money and be not amazed by the wonders around me. Also I have anxious thoughts about the most ridiculous small things and yet i don't stress about big stuff! I find it hard to be absolutely relaxed. I have had grief in my life, parents died when I was in my early twenties, husband died when I was 39, all of these happened over 10 years ago though. i am able to put on a brave face at work, others would never know that I feel anything other than normal. I am probably known for being the kind, caring one, I have empathy for others. But I believe that my patience is wearing a bit thin (this could also be age / hormone related, turning 50 next year). Phew, that sounds like a whole lot of rambling doesn't it????? Thanks for listening? Reading? sharonika

Perth86 I feel like im fighting a losing battle
  • replies: 1

This is the first time i have thought about the possibility of being depressed but now it has finally hit me. Having a beautiful 10 minth old son and being somehow still engaged by fiancee and i are at crossroads. Things are just so bad that i dont k... View more

This is the first time i have thought about the possibility of being depressed but now it has finally hit me. Having a beautiful 10 minth old son and being somehow still engaged by fiancee and i are at crossroads. Things are just so bad that i dont know if they are fixable. She cant stand the sight of me yet alone us even having any intimacy. She is still suffering from Post natal depression and its very difficult on us both but she does her thing in some secrecy and i just ponder whether we will be like before. Its eating me up inside that its affecting my health. I have no motivation to go to the gym anymore or even eat on time. Everything has become a chore and is just an everyday repetitive cycle. I wake up early go to work. Come home and shower, have dinner and let her watch her tv shows. I absolutely adore soending as much time with my son and just miss the feeling of love. I dkbt know how to motivate myself and go to the gym again. I forgotten what it is to be happy again. I miss all of it. Someone please help me save myself from this destruction im in the path of i just cant handle it anymore feeling like this wondering am i good enough or am i worth it at all. It really really hurts feeling this way.

Qualm At the Crossroads
  • replies: 6

It's my first post on here; decided to sign up since I've just tumbled into the pits. I don't know what I expect to accomplish by posting here. Just venting, I guess.I'm a 30-year-old male who's sick of going nowhere and decided to return to study in... View more

It's my first post on here; decided to sign up since I've just tumbled into the pits. I don't know what I expect to accomplish by posting here. Just venting, I guess.I'm a 30-year-old male who's sick of going nowhere and decided to return to study in an area that interested me and which might yield a more fulfilling day-to-day life (and possibly more than near-minimum wage). Just got my grades back - I've failed two of the four units in the first semester and I'm feeling angry... really angry about this. Recently, I felt that I was getting on top of my depression; I had finally found a drug that seemed to be doing the job, and I was feeling relatively positive about things. But now with this recent bad news, all the bad thoughts are forcing their way back in - the ones that tell you that you're worthless and stupid and will never amount to anything, so you might as well just kill yourself.On top of that, I'm living at home with my parents while all my friends are grown up, getting married, managing careers, buying houses, having kids, etc. etc. while I continue to be a perpetually single, underachieving, overgrown man-child. I'm not even working at the moment - not even part time. During this semester, I haven't come close to being able handle the workload and don't know how I could possibly fit employment into my schedule considering the amount of time it takes me to work through the assessment material; so instead, my savings from past employment continues to dwindle while I try to study. I feel even more worthless for this; I know many younger students can manage a balance between work and study and at my age and lack of other commitments, I should be able to as well.Anyway, I'll leave it at that for now, before I tell my life story. Hi everyone! beyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636. Normal 0 false false false EN-AU X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:8.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:107%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

Tittles Does anyone else feel fuzzy and on edge all the time?

i have been suffering these for at least 20 yrs and have been on medication since then they have helped but I am a worry wart and always thinking of the worst, I lost my mum/hubby within 6 mths and I suppose being on ur own doesn't help because u hav... View more

i have been suffering these for at least 20 yrs and have been on medication since then they have helped but I am a worry wart and always thinking of the worst, I lost my mum/hubby within 6 mths and I suppose being on ur own doesn't help because u have to think. And u have no one to say hey it's ok. Just wondering if anyone else has the feelings which I get,head a little fuzzy and being on edge all the time. Tittles

Mares73 Motivation-how to stop thinking & take action
  • replies: 5

The past few weeks I've felt deep depression & anxiety come crashing down on me. My biggest problem is I have a lot that needs doing & I spend hours worrying & thinking about these things, telling myself I'll do it in the next hour & then keep procra... View more

The past few weeks I've felt deep depression & anxiety come crashing down on me. My biggest problem is I have a lot that needs doing & I spend hours worrying & thinking about these things, telling myself I'll do it in the next hour & then keep procrastinating to the point I've achieved nothing. My circumstances are difficult-a partner with acute leukemia & 2 children who are acting out & not coping. I'm also involved in a civil case against the Church for abuse I suffered as a child. Yet despite those things I was very strong & coping with it all until 2 weeks ago. Yes I was running on adrenaline but at least I was on top of things in terms of being the main support for my family. Now I'm highly anxious & unable to get it together to do simple things. For example I've done all the washing the past few weeks yet there are 8 baskets in my room that need sorting & put away. It takes me at least an hour each morning to build up myself to even have a shower.im ashamed of this & spent most of my thoughts worrying about what I haven't been able to achieve. Does anyone have tips on how to deal with no motivation, too much worrying & no action?

strech69 3 nervous breakdowns and a nasty divorce - it gets better

HAVE had 3 nervous breakdowns went though a nasty devorce whilstgoing though thid my depression got worce went down the black hole several times nasty trip down that hole believe me its a trip where no one has to go or needs to go people just did not... View more

HAVE had 3 nervous breakdowns went though a nasty devorce whilstgoing though thid my depression got worce went down the black hole several times nasty trip down that hole believe me its a trip where no one has to go or needs to go people just did not understand what i was going though its a lonely trip down that hole i thought i was never going to get out but i did with 1hs special women that i met on line got to know her and ended up marrying her honerst truth if it was not for her i would not be here to day dont get me wrong i still have my good days and bad ones some days i feel like being left alone the way out of this it to talk to people they are there to help ,

Erkle Is it all in my head

Hi , new to this forum. I have been struggling with depression for close to 10 years and have a great wife and 2 teenage kids. Why i ask this, is it all in my head is I can go to bed feeling great and wake up feeling down. I usually don't sleep for m... View more

Hi , new to this forum. I have been struggling with depression for close to 10 years and have a great wife and 2 teenage kids. Why i ask this, is it all in my head is I can go to bed feeling great and wake up feeling down. I usually don't sleep for more than 2-3 hours a night but am not tired in the morning. I have been to a psychologist for a couple of 6 week sessions and I walk away from my treatment feeling great. But it only seems to last for 3-6 mths and then I start having the ups and downs again with the up times getting shorter and the downs getting longer. I have been to my GP and asked if going on meds could help with this but they told me that meds are not for me. The psychologist also didn't want to prescibe meds and said that i should try different types of stress management techniques.With my ups and downs I don't feel it is fair to put my family through this all the time. I know everyone is different but is it all in my head or is this not so uncommon.

Sebby First steps
  • replies: 3

I'm wanting, needing to talk to someone about help/treatment of what I assume is depression or some other form of mental illness. It's hounded me for years but really reared its head with the birth of my first daughter 9yrs ago and has never really l... View more

I'm wanting, needing to talk to someone about help/treatment of what I assume is depression or some other form of mental illness. It's hounded me for years but really reared its head with the birth of my first daughter 9yrs ago and has never really left.i mentioned suicidal thoughts with a maternal nurse when my second daughter was a newborn. I went through a very dark time. She walked me through a questionnaire and was worried about the results but she just handed me some pamphlets and sent me on my way. Never asking about it again.In the past two years I've had to slow down and now stop my once regular high intensity exercise due to some pretty major injuries and ever since I've had major ups and downs as the weight crept on and I lost my coping mechanism, exercise.i talked to a dr the other week but he was more concerned about my BMI (body mass index) than my mental health. Actually added increased BMI to my notes not the fact that I had also discussed how I was feeling mentally.these past experiences have left me with a major lack of trust with GPs and I'm struggling to make the first step to get help.im worried of wasting the practioners time and falling into a pile crying mess than I am in front of a professional. I'm worried of them judging me before they know my story. I'm worried about telling my story. I'm worried that I know I'm better off than so many yet still have these issues. I'm worried about being labeled as a sook, attention seeker and waste of time.i know I can no longer drag my beloved husband through another breakdown. I know my children deserve so much better and I need to get strong for them. But taking that first step again seems nearly impossible. I did the questionnaire on the beyond blue website and it puts me at high risk. That's about as far as I've gotten.who is best to seek professional help without a GP referral? i have no idea about all the different titles. Mental health nurse sounds like a good option, approachable maybe?what was everyone's first step? Did everyone go through their GP? Those that didn't who did you see first? beyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636. Normal 0 false false false EN-AU X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}