Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

HankScorpio Overloaded and snapped.
  • replies: 1

Hi all, I'm not really sure where to begin with this, I'll try to be brief. Mid twenties caucasian male. In the past 2 years I've dealt with: an abusive relationship, half of my closest friends walking out on me (I was a variable, not a cause), quitt... View more

Hi all, I'm not really sure where to begin with this, I'll try to be brief. Mid twenties caucasian male. In the past 2 years I've dealt with: an abusive relationship, half of my closest friends walking out on me (I was a variable, not a cause), quitting work, failed musical projects, car accident, sleeping in a kitchen, being poor & doing odd jobs for $$, best friend (my cat) being killed. I've fought my way through all that rubbish, set up a business, got really fit, started doing yoga, tried new music projects and moved away. Now I'm sitting at my new house, hating everything. I moved into this lonely, forsaken place and it just hit me all of a sudden how pointless my struggle was and made me question the validity of my goals. My reality has distorted to the point where I have no aspirations anymore, the idea of interacting with others is contemptuous, and all music sounds cacophonous and mocking to my ears. Every time I try to motivate myself a part of me pushes forward and systematically attacks my intentions and goals. I have had depression and anxiety since I was about 7-8 years old, seen psychologists before, I'm not on meds and I don't want to be. I have enough self destructive tendencies without furthering my drug dependance. My general distrust of others inhibits me from seeing a GP, so I thought I'd vent here and see if anyone can relate. Thank you for your time.

Macka90 Depression help
  • replies: 6

Hi everyone Let me start with my story. 2 weeks ago I started to have health anxiety due to something I thought was in my throat (nothing there) then it got worse from there, I started feeling horrible every day I could push through and do everything... View more

Hi everyone Let me start with my story. 2 weeks ago I started to have health anxiety due to something I thought was in my throat (nothing there) then it got worse from there, I started feeling horrible every day I could push through and do everything I needed to for myself and my 3 beautiful children, then within the last few days I couldn't do anything I mean anything I could barely walk, other then go to the toilet, I had to get my partner to take my kids to school, I had to have my sister stay with my me a few days cause all I wanted to do was sleep. Last night I ended up going to hospital cause I knew this wasn't me I thought there was something wrong with me they done chest X-ray and blood tests but it all came back normal so they dr referred me to mental health, which when I was talking to the dr I figured out I have depression, I have suffered depression before but nothing this bad, I adrupltly stopped taking my meds last time as I fell pregnant, they have put me on new meds the same as I was on before as they helped a lot last time, and am also on sleeping pills as I have trouble staying asleep which is making me tired during the day. I would love to hear back from people that have suffered depression like this before, and any tips on helping me recover, I have mental health psychologist come out to my house and see me and they are putting my dosage up within the week,. thanks and hope to her par back from people soon

brookey When the black dog keeps coming back
  • replies: 13

Feeling really, really down tonight. I think one of the hardest things about depression is that often it just keeps coming back whether you like it or not. Sometimes this makes me feel like a bit of a failure, but then the rational side of me knows t... View more

Feeling really, really down tonight. I think one of the hardest things about depression is that often it just keeps coming back whether you like it or not. Sometimes this makes me feel like a bit of a failure, but then the rational side of me knows that it's not something to be ashamed of. However, when depression keeps coming back I find it harder and harder to talk about it with the people I care. I worry that I will end up sounding like a broken record, and that everyone will be sick of me and my moods. So I'm really glad that I've found beyond blue - I feel like I can talk about my feelings without worrying about over-burdening someone. Another thing that's really hard about recurrent depression is that it's just so damn exhausting. I'm so tired of trying to keep a brave face and battling on even though on the inside I'm really struggling to keep it together. I hate that every night I just end up crying alone in my bed, after pretending like everything is ok all day. My life has some really great things going on in it, but for whatever reason I just can't enjoy it as I feel so hopeless and so alone, and the future from where I'm standing looks so bleak. At least the one constant in life is change, and I'm hoping that things can't stay this way forever. In the mean time, I guess it's just one day at a time...

elt Feeling Flat
  • replies: 2

Hi i'm stuggling with feeling flat. Flat as a tyre. I suffer with another mental illness which go's hand in hand with depression. Due to my medication I no longer have energy and lack motivation to do anything much at all. I used to have large groups... View more

Hi i'm stuggling with feeling flat. Flat as a tyre. I suffer with another mental illness which go's hand in hand with depression. Due to my medication I no longer have energy and lack motivation to do anything much at all. I used to have large groups of friends which I slowly lost due to my mental illness and depression interfering. Now days I just feel flat with no interest in much at all in life without many friends. Also this flat feeling quiet often leaves me feeling as if the things I have to say are uninteresting or that I don't have much conversation. My self esteem has taken a great knock when I lost friends. Also not working atm has had me find myself without purpose. Is there support groups I can join to build new friendships? What do I do about feeling flat? how can I improve myself esteem?

carlie1177 I'm suffering from depression and anxiety?
  • replies: 2

I think my anxiety and stress stems from emotional and verbal bullying. I took several tests online and am told I have depression / anxiety and possible paranoia. I also need therapy and counselling. That sucks. A few years ago I would've never thoug... View more

I think my anxiety and stress stems from emotional and verbal bullying. I took several tests online and am told I have depression / anxiety and possible paranoia. I also need therapy and counselling. That sucks. A few years ago I would've never thought I would be in this position, but I am. To be honest, even though I've been hurt a lot this past year, I feel it's kinda my fault too. I don't have many friends, and can never find (and keep) a best friend. Last time I found love I left it for career (or new school, should I say). I'm starting to think this is all my fault, and it really really sucks. Bottom line is, I'm lonely and I compensate my loneliness with imaginary scenes in my head, even though they'll never come true. Sometimes I compensate it with astrology readings, always searching for something positive, thus wasting incredible amounts of time. I need to stop. I wish my mind will shut down, like a Power Off button on the computer. I'm a mess. I'm a mess and I need help.

Sense13 I cannot cope anymore
  • replies: 4

I cant do this anymore, i have no motivation, depleated mentaly, always tired, my mind doesnt stop racing, I am diagnosed as depressed, i take 300mg of my medication a day, and somedays i go to 450mg, which numbs me down, but little less anxiuos, and... View more

I cant do this anymore, i have no motivation, depleated mentaly, always tired, my mind doesnt stop racing, I am diagnosed as depressed, i take 300mg of my medication a day, and somedays i go to 450mg, which numbs me down, but little less anxiuos, and feel clamer, I am stressed, it is impacting by work, no motovation. i am tired of being emotionlay abused, threatend, put down, degraded, emotional black mail using the kids and family, accusations of infidelity which I have NOT, and if she doest stop i dont know what I will do... I need help, I have contacted mens line and beyound blue in the past, i do have thoughts of ending, i am stripped of my self, I cannot leave, as money is not accessable, i am denied of access to cash, I do not have a gambling problem..I am alone, the kids are also impacted, my duaghter has her vce exams next week, my son hios uni exams, but the verbalising doesnt stop to me... and i crack it with the words and stuff she says and keep saying stop she doesnt, and then i get out of control and start screaming... i beg her stop to provoking me and inciting me, i just be home from work it I am provoked, and I fall into the out of control mode... then my body shuts down of all the stress and anxiety... she wont let me leave... I am threatened that if I access any amount of funds, I am threatend with abuse and lies to my workplace, takes it out my mother who is bi polar, smash my belongings, which she has already smashed all my fishing gear, and taken the boat engine key... i am treated like a crimminal, I have to justify every credit card transaction and produce receipts, if I dont and get abused verbaly, thats is the only thing I am allowed to have access to is a visa card, by debit card was cut up, my son gets the brunt of it... i am constantly harrassed at work with SMS's which are abusive... I dont know what to do.... anymore

Meeper No break
  • replies: 1

Hey bb friends, It's nearly 1 in the morning and I just sent myself into a stress frenzy. I had a meltdown at work this week and once I'd calmed down I realised I really wasn't happy with the 'support' from my supervisor. Everything started to look u... View more

Hey bb friends, It's nearly 1 in the morning and I just sent myself into a stress frenzy. I had a meltdown at work this week and once I'd calmed down I realised I really wasn't happy with the 'support' from my supervisor. Everything started to look up after that except I have to go and see a doctor and get their recommendation of what to do to move forward. I am partly relieved because I've been trying to get the help I need for ages but I'm also concerned. It's also horrible because my week was going so much better after that and I was doing so much better but I barely got to enjoy it; now I'm wracked with stress and panic because I'm still in a really bad position. No matter how much I do to get ahead it's barely a dent and it's so hard to keep persisting. I feel like I'm almost exhausted and no one will have my back. The hardest part is I have to be happy for the weekend for my boyfriend's birthday. I really don't know how to dig out of it all, there's just way too much. I get sad wondering if maybe I deserve it.

Lilmama2 Do you feel as though it can't be beaten?
  • replies: 5

Going on 13 years of suffering and now with 2 children and a husband being affected I am sadder than ever that I still haven't beaten this depression. I have a great life and nothing bad happens to me and I have no reason to be depressed. Antidepress... View more

Going on 13 years of suffering and now with 2 children and a husband being affected I am sadder than ever that I still haven't beaten this depression. I have a great life and nothing bad happens to me and I have no reason to be depressed. Antidepressants haven't worked for me and the last 3 years of therapy haven't either. I think I'm too lazy to be better because all I do is mope around and stress out over insignificant things. I never do anything to help the situation because I hate myself too much to be nicer to myself. Should I just suck it up and start faking happiness so as not to burden my family any more? I wish I had a medicine that could numb me completely so I was never sad or angry.

Gloria I am lost
  • replies: 33

Don't know where to turn. Feeling isolated and am putting on a brave face for family and work. Have tried to talk to my partner. - who doesnt believe in depression, his advice get over it and stop worrying. Have huge regrets about leaving a job I lov... View more

Don't know where to turn. Feeling isolated and am putting on a brave face for family and work. Have tried to talk to my partner. - who doesnt believe in depression, his advice get over it and stop worrying. Have huge regrets about leaving a job I loved but that was 3 years ago. I work in management with a difficult team and intense deadlines. I feel sick in the stomach as I pull into work. Just turned 50 and have made constant poor choices and achieved little. I know this is very ungrateful of me but it is how I see myself. To top it off I am not sleeping. The anxiety is constant but be is at its worse after miidnight where my heart is racing and pounding. Can't see my GP ... Too ashamed and very embarrassed .

Mares73 Coping with devastation when your life is torn apart
  • replies: 37

Dear friendsThought it was time I got back online & shared what's happened & apologize for not being around to welcome relatively new members. I had hoped this year I would do a lot of healing. But life can be taken off you. My husband who's been in ... View more

Dear friendsThought it was time I got back online & shared what's happened & apologize for not being around to welcome relatively new members. I had hoped this year I would do a lot of healing. But life can be taken off you. My husband who's been in remission from leukemia for nearly five years we've had devastating news that it's back & acute & aggressive.Things have to move fast. Hospitalized from this time onwards for approx 9 months of intensive chemo & bone marrow transplant. Not a good outlook but somehow do I stop my mind thinking of the terrible journey ahead. Telling the kids was so hard. I feel broken in pieces. Try to be managing in front of him but sit up & cry all night thinking how will I get through this? He's just 40 & I hate life it's torn apart & Im alone to support everyone when I'm in pieces & queston can an manage this journey alone.Also the civil case against the Priest who abused me is on my mind. The church have suspended him pending investigation. I haven't even written my statement so lawyers on both sides waiting on me.And how do I get through all this & give my kids as much support as possible, watch my husband deteriorate & visit him everyday not knowing if he will survive, get through a traumatic legal case about being drugged & raped as a kid and try act normal & strong & be the one who holds it all together? I try to be humble, I try to think of all who face pain but right now I am on verge if tears always, have moments I think I know I'm only holding on for everyone else or I think I'd be suicidal. I'm tired of being told I'm strong. I have a he'll of a year in front of me & I feel like life has stopped, I'm numb yet I'm hurting deeply, I'm weak when I'm going to have to be so strong. And I don't have any real practical support. Once people know they tend to stay away. I have no close friends & where & how am I going to get through this year. I don't want to see my husband get sicker every day when he could die from his white cells being destroyed by chemo & infection or what if there's no donor or he doesn't respond to transplant? How do I relive the abuse & trauma I went through as a young girl by a Priest I trusted how do I get justice & can anything help give me justice? Money? That doesn't come close to redemption. My husband asked me to promise I'd keep going til I got some forms of justice.I am alone, terrified, no support.Friends-Neil, John.Geoff, GA & all I need you.Mares beyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636. Normal 0 false false false EN-AU X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}