Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Unbeliever The "Sadness" without the "Anxiety".
  • replies: 9

I've spent the last few days reading through a lot of old threads on this site (and purposely not commenting on them) and I've noticed something curious that I recall previously noticing in numerous group therapy sessions many years ago. So many peop... View more

I've spent the last few days reading through a lot of old threads on this site (and purposely not commenting on them) and I've noticed something curious that I recall previously noticing in numerous group therapy sessions many years ago. So many people here are talking about feeling constantly anxious about everything and having seemingly regular uncontrollable panic attacks (especially in public places or unfamiliar circumstances). It seems ridiculously common among those that consider themselves depressed. While I can rationally understand why people can get anxious about certain things... this is still something that I can't relate to. I've got all the "sad" feelings, they dominate my thoughts days and nights, most days I consider whether "seeing tomorrow" is really worth the effort at all. Without trying to sound pretentious... to date, after more than 20 years I have not met anyone who looks as deeply into the dark as I do... in physical group sessions my perspectives always freaked people out to the point that the suicidal people would ask me during breaks "how do you possibly survive"? However, I have zero anxiety about anything. Nothing ever really makes me feel "nervous", I certainly don't have panic attacks... but this appears to be extremely rare for some reason. If fact, in all of the hundreds of comments I've read through over the last 2 days (many going back several years) I've yet to find a comment about this. I've been trying to work out why this is, what makes me different. The only thing I've come up with so far is that the only opinions of people that I hold in high regard are from people who I respect... which is something that has to be earned with me. While the opinions of people that I don't have respect for (or have yet to earn that respect)... while sometimes interesting, don't really matter to me that much. Certainly not to the point that I obsess about it.

Dhkm3939 I feel lost
  • replies: 1

I've had 3 jobs in 2 years and moved back to my hometown feeling like it was the best thing but now I feel lost. I've begun some study to get some actual qualifications behind me however recently, I feel like I've lost myself. I've put on weight and ... View more

I've had 3 jobs in 2 years and moved back to my hometown feeling like it was the best thing but now I feel lost. I've begun some study to get some actual qualifications behind me however recently, I feel like I've lost myself. I've put on weight and am not my happy, bubbly self, our Sister recently got diagnosed with cancer and our Grandmother is going down hill. I just feel like I'm stuck. I'm on medication for depression and anxiety - have been for some time now. Hoping that getting back to the gym and getting rid of this weight will help me find myself again.

tiffanyd Depression or teenage hormones?
  • replies: 4

Hi, I’m 15 and over the past six months I’ve been extremely tired, depressed, lonley, lost and I can’t concentrate on anything every day. Over the past two to three years I’ve struggled with anxiety but I never saw a professional. Although it’s been ... View more

Hi, I’m 15 and over the past six months I’ve been extremely tired, depressed, lonley, lost and I can’t concentrate on anything every day. Over the past two to three years I’ve struggled with anxiety but I never saw a professional. Although it’s been hard to understand I think I might have depression. Yesterday I did the hardest think I’ve ever done. Talked to my parents about it. Although we didn’t talk about everything (more specifically I avoided my depressive thoughts) it for me, very difficult.I spoke to my dad and he talked about how when he was a teenager he felt the same as I do. He said that it’s just teenage hormones and everyone goes though it but I can’t ignore the fact that I feel like it’s more than that. So my question is how do I know the difference? Between average teenage hormones and depression?

a_bit_lost Really struggling
  • replies: 3

I'm going through a really tough time at the moment. I'm literally hating everything about myself and my life. I've had some stresses in my personal life in addition to normal work stress which seemed to be a breaking point for me. I am unable to tak... View more

I'm going through a really tough time at the moment. I'm literally hating everything about myself and my life. I've had some stresses in my personal life in addition to normal work stress which seemed to be a breaking point for me. I am unable to take time off work but I am in tears at the drop of a hat and have offended and ostracised a number of my colleagues, and can't stop crying when I'm at home. I've put on a lot of weight due to injury. I just got myself back to the gym when I injured myself again. I tried to make an appointment to see my doctor, or any doctor in the surgery but got told that there were no appointments for 2 weeks. I tried calling a family member, but that has simply made things worse. I just feel absolutely, and positively hopeless and nothing I've tried is making it better. I seem to be all up in my head and I can't turn off my thoughts. I live alone so being at home is the worst thing for me, but because I'm so upset, I'm not motivated enough to go anywhere or do anything. I'm spending as much time at work as I can but it's stressful, and not a particularly great place to be. I tried talking to a friend about it last night but she laughed at me and told me I probably just needed a good stiff drink - hence the reason for calling the doctor, but as you can see, that didn't really help either. I'm not at risk of hurting myself but am really apprehensive now that it's the weekend and I'm going to be home alone, in tears all weekend. I know that when you are feeling like this, that you should seek help. I know that the doctor's surgery didn't know how I was feeling, but it just felt like even my doctor doesn't have time for me.

demonblaster Understanding depression....TO BEAT IT ? *Warning, Contains Triggers*
  • replies: 76

We're here to learn, sure of it. Have to for survival. Like so many have lived in hell a mammoth amount of times. I firmly believe collectively we can in majority of cases get on top of depression. We have to, too many die & suffer in unimaginable pa... View more

We're here to learn, sure of it. Have to for survival. Like so many have lived in hell a mammoth amount of times. I firmly believe collectively we can in majority of cases get on top of depression. We have to, too many die & suffer in unimaginable pain. It's wrong. We're intelligent, capaple of thought. It has & CAN be done including coming back from the bottom. A psychiatrist said to me when I said I'm going to beat it..." It can't be done". I say maybe it hasn't been, but that doesn't mean it can't! I'm Bipolar type 1 & 2 (now moreso) & yes its taken yrs but condensed not so long, so far (details later) have achieved pulling the extreme type 1 manias down to more controlled type 2 & anyone that experiences or knows the euphoria & complete unadulterated bliss, NO BODY on this Earth wouldnt want it. Its what people take drugs for, Pure happiness/confidence the list goes on ... Point being, mammoth to let it go but achieved reduction, still amazing though. I like thinking, am DETERMINED to get this crap, worse scenario under complete control which'd be a WIN! In shorter time frame thanks to mania that opens or wakes the brain starting to make huge headway breaking through extremely deep depression. I'm more than a rapid cycler (4 or more a year) I have 8-10 major cycles a year. Gotta get on top else it'll take me too BP has by far more suicide than any other mental illness I recently read. 4 attempts in teens, contemplated a few & until recently it was an option. Learning Emotional control Our brains are possibly the least understood organ but what we do know is they're VERY POWERFUL. If we can understand depression from understanding we can learn. Growth. Believing creates hope & determination Sincerely sorry for your pain people. We can get this

Kalima Relationship trouble and depression
  • replies: 1

I have had bipolar symptoms most of my life, diagnosed in 2000. My parents were caught up with violence, alcohol abuse, multiple infidelities, financial issues. My mother had severe social anxiety and would not leave the house with out my company. I ... View more

I have had bipolar symptoms most of my life, diagnosed in 2000. My parents were caught up with violence, alcohol abuse, multiple infidelities, financial issues. My mother had severe social anxiety and would not leave the house with out my company. I find it very hard to "fall in love" although I have had many , many relationships with men. Recently I have been in a relationship with a guy - a Dominant/submissive relationship with me as the Dom. We have had a lot of fun, but things have started falling apart. My mood has dropped a lot and it has become very hard to remain dominant when all I want to do is sleep. The fight we had was insignificant ... He said something insensitive about my sexuality and it suddenly spiralled. Now we are only texting each other tersely when normally we would meet twice a week. What I am wondering about is whether depression brought on by relationship trouble is the same as clinical depression? Will it be long-lasting? Should I try to "make things better"or let the relationship go so I can concentrate on improving my own mental health? It's hard to know whether having his company is important. He's very understanding of my psych. needs as his mother has been unwell, but in other ways he is an ocker type who is not used to offering emotional support. Any thoughts about this? Thank you.

Freakyfrootloop Tough times in my head
  • replies: 2

So I've had a pretty bad day with my partner we have been together for 9 months now and I've always had trouble just talking and getting my feelings out and it's kinda exploded today I love and care for him and his 2 kids so much his kids are going t... View more

So I've had a pretty bad day with my partner we have been together for 9 months now and I've always had trouble just talking and getting my feelings out and it's kinda exploded today I love and care for him and his 2 kids so much his kids are going through a tough time atm being 8 and 11 but I need some help in my head I feel very lazy and unmotivated to do anything at all I do house work and all I just can't seem to get out and do things I've put weight on been eating too much also I think because I'm unhappy but I just don't know why? Why am I so lazy why am I so un motivated and what do I do to change and help myself so my life with my partner and 3 kids can be happier with life

Allan533 Relapse guilt
  • replies: 3

Just checking in. I've been doing pretty well for the last few weeks - don't know if it's because of the medication or just the cycle, but I'm happy to have the rest. But the last couple days, particularly today, has been rough. Pretty mild, as thing... View more

Just checking in. I've been doing pretty well for the last few weeks - don't know if it's because of the medication or just the cycle, but I'm happy to have the rest. But the last couple days, particularly today, has been rough. Pretty mild, as things go, and I am grateful for that, but I'm feeling really guilty, like I've failed somehow. Like, I was doing so much better, but then I go and slide back down, throwing away the progress I'd made. I know that's not what's happening, I know it's not rational because it's not like I'm choosing to feel like this, or that I've slacked off on my self-care or anything. If anything I'm better equipped to handle these moods then I have been in the past, partially due to my hard work, and mostly due to the hard work of my psychologist (with an uncertain proportion due to the psychiatrist and medication). I'm just feeling so alone. That I've done all this hard work, putting myself out there, talking to people, engaging with them, but I still go to bed and wake up alone every day. That unless I keep this work going, most people wouldn't notice if I dropped off the face of the earth for days at least. I know this is just my jerk!brain talking. I know it's not real. But it feels real. And I'm having to actively fight to remember that it's not real. Damn it, I was doing so well.

Reenie93 Post Graduate Depression
  • replies: 8

I graduated uni in June 2017 after a final 6 week internship at the end of my degree. I struggled to get through the internship as my mentor and I did not mesh so well and I felt anything but positive vibes from her. I constantly felt like I wasn't d... View more

I graduated uni in June 2017 after a final 6 week internship at the end of my degree. I struggled to get through the internship as my mentor and I did not mesh so well and I felt anything but positive vibes from her. I constantly felt like I wasn't doing a good job despite getting a good report from her. All my previous pracs in my degree I received nothing but high praise from all mentors. Anyway once I finished my degree a full time position had opened up at my current employment which I took. (For reference I studied a bachelor of primary education and I was working at a before and after school care as an assistant). I took on the coordinator position at the before and after school care. I was comfortable here and I knew exactly what I was doing. For a while I used the excuse that I was taking a gap year for myself before I went into full time teaching but the reality was the thought of teaching and getting a graduate job made me physically sick. All i could think about was how I'm not very good and I'm going to be a horrible teacher who has no idea what to do so what is the point. a year later and I'm still trying to cope with my anxiety around teaching and I'm also considering if maybe I should choose and different job all together. However recently my work lost the tender at the school where we run our after school care, meaning a new company will come in and take over and we are all loosing our positions. This is stressful in itself. The new company has encourage us all to apply for positions but has told us we will still need to go through the full interview process. This is very upsetting because I feel like I have to interview to keep my job and I'm worried that other people applying will get it over me because they probably have more experience in the position then i do. My anxiety has been through the roof just dealing with this alone I can't sleep and I've been calling in sick to work because I can't bring myself to go knowing I might not be there anymore at all. A part of me is saying go and use your degree and get a job as a teacher but again the thought makes me sick and I already know I'm no good anyway. Then this thought makes me feel like such an idiot I wasted my time at uni to study a degree im going to do nothing with. This disapointment I have in myself hurts so much I just don't see the point in anything. I feel like I've let everyone in my life down and like I'm going to go no where so why even bother continuing.

Lilly18 Over it
  • replies: 2

I hate my life and there is nothing I can do about it. I'm beyond broken.

I hate my life and there is nothing I can do about it. I'm beyond broken.