Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Lost_and_Unsure Feeling lost
  • replies: 2

Hi everyone, new to this kind of thing. i have struggled with depression, anxiety for a few years now. This year it’s to be apparent that it is the worst it has ever been. I have taken 4 weeks off my stressful job to sort myself out. I see a psychiat... View more

Hi everyone, new to this kind of thing. i have struggled with depression, anxiety for a few years now. This year it’s to be apparent that it is the worst it has ever been. I have taken 4 weeks off my stressful job to sort myself out. I see a psychiatrist once a week and she is great. Honesty I just want to spend all my time in bed. I have three kids who are old enough to organise themselves for school, however I feel I am not enjoying them or life at all right now. I take medication and I see my doctor frequently, i have a husband who doesn’t understand and is stressed over money since I’m not working. I don’t know what to do? Sometimes it takes all my strength t leave the house. I never used to be this person I was happy, bubbly, vivacious and loved people. Now I just want to hide..... does anyone else feel this way? What do I do????

Alaskaor borderline personality disorder
  • replies: 10

Hello everyone. I am 21 years old and have recently been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. I've known for quite a while that something wasn't right and I suffer from anxiety and depression. I feel as though I can function in a job, I ca... View more

Hello everyone. I am 21 years old and have recently been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. I've known for quite a while that something wasn't right and I suffer from anxiety and depression. I feel as though I can function in a job, I can study and I can have great friendships but the moment I meet a male and get attached to him these things all suffer. I always feel as though they are going to leave, I always question them thinking something is wrong when it probably isn't. I get with them way to quickly just because I have it in my head that maybe they'll stay. It takes me a while to recover from this and I am deeply knocked by it. I just wanted to know if there was anyone out there around my age who has this disorder? or is there anyone out there with BPD that managed to maintain a relationship, to get engaged and get married or have children? because that is my biggest fear. I am able to meet males and maybe go on 2 or 3 dates but soon enough I get attached and its like I purposely wreck it, I overthink and I always assume that they'll either leave or get with someone else. I can be impulsive in the way I text them constantly and I hate that about me. I have recently gone to a psychologist who recommended dialectical behavioural therapy. I want to do it as I feel it'll help me but it is so expensive that I am unable to do it. Is there anyone out there that have done some sort of therapy that has worked or even improved your mental illness that isn't so expensive? I'm at a loss

SweetAmara Confused Why I Feel This Way
  • replies: 3

I have previously been diagnosed with general and social anxiety disorder as well as depression. Overall, I think I deal with it okay, though I don't necessarily feel I have any particular strategies. At the moment, my partner and I saving for a hous... View more

I have previously been diagnosed with general and social anxiety disorder as well as depression. Overall, I think I deal with it okay, though I don't necessarily feel I have any particular strategies. At the moment, my partner and I saving for a house, planning for our wedding in six months time etc. I've invested most of my effort into pursuing these goals. As a result, we limit our time out, because we are saving. My aunt who I was close to recently passed away. However, I feel somewhat numb to that, as if didn't really happen to me/her. The part I'm really confused about is how stagnant and depressed I feel in my life. Like I'm living Groundhog Day over and over. I'm content in my relationship but everything else leaves me feeling unhappy and uninspired. I watched movies or read and I deeply desire for something to happen, as silly as that may sound, maybe its just monotony? I don't know how to change that or even more importantly, to make a lasting change for the betterment of my happiness, my partner offers suggestions but between anxiety around saving and social anxiety I often don't feel like taking risks. I feel like I've felt like this too long now. I'm really lost what to do. Thanks.

CMF Anger depression
  • replies: 16

Hi does anyone suffer anger depression? I have depression and find that I feel so angry at the world and I have no tolerance of anything. I'm extremely aware of it and try to control it but can't. I just blow up, then feel more depressed and guilty b... View more

Hi does anyone suffer anger depression? I have depression and find that I feel so angry at the world and I have no tolerance of anything. I'm extremely aware of it and try to control it but can't. I just blow up, then feel more depressed and guilty because of my reaction. I yelled at a boy my son played sport against yesterday. I started the day great, He had a bit of attitude and the parent from his team was argumentative with us because of their error. When the boy showed attitude I just blew up. We did both apologise and I'm so regretful as it was a build up of other things that got to me but I just st can't take it anymore. I'm a single mum, 3 kids, manage 2 sports teams and cop crap from other parents who want to take their issues out on me. I feel like a walking time bomb.

spnnnmo things on my mind

i just really need to get some things off my mind. i wanted to use the chat service but it's past 12 am. so i guess this is like an online diary where people can feel free to respond 1. i helped this girl with a scholarship type thing a while ago. th... View more

i just really need to get some things off my mind. i wanted to use the chat service but it's past 12 am. so i guess this is like an online diary where people can feel free to respond 1. i helped this girl with a scholarship type thing a while ago. the situation was that she wouldn't have been able to get it if she hadn't asked me for help bc of deadline and availability issues. this girl and i used to be semi-close, then this year we just don't talk. she doesn't talk to me normally. and it seems like she only talked to me, acted friendly and tried to be nice when she needed to get something from me. and i hate myself for just being a stupid doormat and giving in to everyone's demands. idk in the moment i'm happy to be nice and help, but later, when i'm at home and reflecting, i get so angry. 2. this other girl and i go to the gym together. it's a pre-arrangement that we go twice a week. a few days ago, she texts me 2 minutes after our session starts and says that she can't go. i brought my things especially to school in preparation, and that was my plan. it was a part of my schedule. to cancel so abruptly with no explanation left me feeling like she broke my trust, idk it might sound dramatic but i'm trying not to be too specific in case she ever reads this and realises it sounds familiar, highly unlikely though i know. i didn't have any other plans for that time period and then i had to go make some plans. it's strange because in the past, if she or i had to cancel we would do so at least the day before and like at least say why we can't go and say sorry. and i texted her asking if she had something on and she didn't reply even though im pretty sure she usually would have by now. so yeah i also feel as though i just have trust issues in general in terms of friendship

Tomasjc What am I supposed to do?
  • replies: 3

I am a male in his 40s. Have been working around 12 years as a software developer and I have to say that I am grateful as I have it better off than most people because the job description pay bad an I am not exposed to the elements. I have suffered f... View more

I am a male in his 40s. Have been working around 12 years as a software developer and I have to say that I am grateful as I have it better off than most people because the job description pay bad an I am not exposed to the elements. I have suffered from depression, ocd, adhd, migraine, but I think those are just aspects of the same problem. I tried several medications and at this point I am somewhat stable. Unfortunately I love my partner, I find her very attractive but both of us take medication and out sex life is non existent.

Hope4betterdays I have no idea
  • replies: 1

I don't usually show my emotions or feelings. Depression has taken over the better part of my life for a while now I guess you could say it started a little over 4 years ago when my brother died. that was the first time I felt different. It's just we... View more

I don't usually show my emotions or feelings. Depression has taken over the better part of my life for a while now I guess you could say it started a little over 4 years ago when my brother died. that was the first time I felt different. It's just weird how one day out of nowhere someone can be taken from you, and then 2 years ago I lost my big sister. Since then I have tried to make everyone happy to the point where I don't even know how to make myself happy. I sacrifice everything for everyone and then they turn around and say "I never told you to do that". But when I'm not there for them "I never do anything for anyone". Some days just get harder with dealing with everyone's problems and trying to find solutions for them than most. and I guess today is one of those days. I just feel like there is so much to do in so little time, to the point where my memory gets a little foggy, after forgetting something the blame game starts and I turn out to be the winner every single time.

Blackthorn No will

I don't know what to do anymore. My mental health have been decreasing since my early teens (I am currently 20) and it isn't getting better, in fact over the past year it has gotten worse. I have been writing my thoughts down trying to at least get i... View more

I don't know what to do anymore. My mental health have been decreasing since my early teens (I am currently 20) and it isn't getting better, in fact over the past year it has gotten worse. I have been writing my thoughts down trying to at least get it out of my head but I don't feel better, everything just feels wrong, so wrong. I have gone to headspace a few time and though they are trying to help there is a lot of time between sessions, and a lot of negativity around myself and my life. I guess the best way to try and describe how I'm feeling is out of place, empty, alone, useless, exhausted, drained, unconnected just naming a few things. Nothing brings me joy, nothing makes me feel truly happy, I have no prospects for the future, I don't know where I'm going in life or what I'm doing. I feel I have no will to live, no reason to live, I stated before that I feel alone and unconnected, and I do to family and friends, but the only time I feel content is when I'm able to be alone, reading. Even though that makes no sense even in my own head I feel so alone but I like to be alone ?!? I'm drowning in my own thoughts and problems that aren't mine, I know I have a big heart and for most of my life everyone comes before me and now that I'm trying to focus on my I feel extremely guilty and selfish. Im having anxiety attacks at least 3 times a week and bad thought at least twice a day. I am either 'okay' or anxious or I can't do this or moody... I've been having a lot of mood swings and little things are triggering my anxiety and irritability. I don't want feel or be this way, but I don't even know who I am

16_12_18 help talking to parents about depression?
  • replies: 7

hi, i don’t know who to turn to anymore so i guess that’s why i’m here. i talked to my closest friends and asked for help about my depression and bad habits and accidently influenced them in doing so. i’ve tried explaining to my parents how i felt an... View more

hi, i don’t know who to turn to anymore so i guess that’s why i’m here. i talked to my closest friends and asked for help about my depression and bad habits and accidently influenced them in doing so. i’ve tried explaining to my parents how i felt and what i’m going through but they just tell me to “get it together”, or they mock me and tell me i’m just being useless and lazy. i’m just so sick of everything. i’ve stopped talking to people, i’ve been staying home a lot more rather than going to school and to be honest, im constantly on the verge of breaking down. i hate being around people because it makes me feel so much more out of place and alone. its a constant struggle just for me to leave the house. i don’t know what to do. i choke up trying to talk about my depression, it’s so impossible to talk because i feel like everybody just thinks i’m a moody teen or just ‘going through an attention seeking phase’. i don’t know who or how to ask for help, but i do know that i need it really bad. i guess i’m just asking for help on how to talk about it and ask for support after being rejected and made fun of so many times.

Sueetties Are we more prone to depression in winter than summer ?
  • replies: 4

Hello, i haven’t been to this forum for awhile as I thought I had done enough work during my deepest dark days through counselling and exercises. but seems now I am slowly sliding into the deep rabbit hole again. Is it the weather? Winter triggers de... View more

Hello, i haven’t been to this forum for awhile as I thought I had done enough work during my deepest dark days through counselling and exercises. but seems now I am slowly sliding into the deep rabbit hole again. Is it the weather? Winter triggers depression more than summer or are we more prone to depression in winter? I was at around the same time last year when I first identified my mental health issue. Has anyone experienced similar things? How do you deal with it ? thank you