Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Stephanie285644 Loosing myself
  • replies: 1

Hi all, I'm not sure how important this is in relation to other cases but I wanted to reach out for some help. I was made redundant from my job last August (I was only 23 at the time, now 24). I have been in employed and unemployed since- about 2 mon... View more

Hi all, I'm not sure how important this is in relation to other cases but I wanted to reach out for some help. I was made redundant from my job last August (I was only 23 at the time, now 24). I have been in employed and unemployed since- about 2 months ago I took on a permanent job, out of desperation as I was unemployed at the time. I couldn't be any more unhappy in this current position. I am alone, isolated, feeling unchallenged and overall feeling lost with my overall self. I'm left at a desk for 8 hours a day with my own thoughts where every single day is Groundhog Day. Unfortunately I have attempted to reach out to management (who are interstate- all correspondence is via the telephone or email) and have been brushed off numerous times. My point being, since being made redundant I feel like I have lost all self worth and who I am as a person. I feel lost, dealing with constant rejection and knock backs is impacting me mentally and emotionally. I have been told I have changed as a person, I'm more negative and I'm not my bright self. I see it myself too. Its like I'm in a deep dark hole and I'm trying to jump out of it but it's getting deeper instead. I want a change, but I don't know where to start. I've lost all interest in life itself and where it's taking me even trying to figure out what sort of interests I have is a blank now but I want to change that. I want a chance to prove my self worth but getting knocked down time and time again has now influenced who I've become. If anyone can offer some sort of advise. It would be greatly appreciated.

glaceon Medication causing hunger?
  • replies: 3

Hi everyone. I am currently taking two SNRI medications once daily. I started the the first in November 2015 and the second in January 2017. The most prominent side effect for myself has been the intense hunger, cravings and uncontrollable binge eati... View more

Hi everyone. I am currently taking two SNRI medications once daily. I started the the first in November 2015 and the second in January 2017. The most prominent side effect for myself has been the intense hunger, cravings and uncontrollable binge eating. I crave carbs and anything sugary. White bread, doughnuts, biscuits, chocolate, potato chips and so on. While I'm eating these kinds of foods, I feel happy and energised. Shortly after I feel guilty and lethargic. And then the cycle resets. This has caused me to gain about 25kg (55lbs) in a relatively short time. I should probably mention this weight gain started immediately after I stopped smoking weed. I was smoking heavily every day from April 2017 to July 2017. (Approx 4 months) I didn't gain any weight. In fact, I actually lost weight. Is anyone else on a medication combination? If so. How do you manage your diet, weight and exercise? PS. I try to exercise at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes. (Skipping rope) and I walk an average of 5,000 to 8,000 steps every day. I loathe exercise but I know it's good for me, so I do it. Thanks

Andrew_W Confused an feel alone
  • replies: 5

This is my first time on hear as only really looked in to beyond blue today as trying to find answers an opening up. I am a shy person that’s finds its hard to talk about my feeling face to face to people. I am married with two young beautiful boys w... View more

This is my first time on hear as only really looked in to beyond blue today as trying to find answers an opening up. I am a shy person that’s finds its hard to talk about my feeling face to face to people. I am married with two young beautiful boys who mean the world to me. I own my own business as a builder an am very successful in what I do as I am a very hard worker. That’s just the way I have been brought up. The problem is that unless I’m at work busting my arse an keeping busy I feel really down an have no motivation or energy. I’ve been like this now for a long time an I feel really guilty when I carnt give the boys or my wife the energy that I give to work. Please don’t take this the wrong way as I am not a bad person but I found having small amounts of drugs(meth) when I’m at my lowest point really helps me. Its like it just brings me out of that dark deep hole that I get stuck in. I now down deep that this is wrong but it make every happy when I’m happy. An that make me happy. It could be once every 2 month or 3 months but I no it’s not the right things to do. I’ve herd so many bad stories about anti depressants as I long term damage. Don’t get me wrong I now having the other is probably worse but it’s long time between. I guess I’m at the stage for some good advice as I don’t really want any drugs prescription or not. I am very strong headed when it comes to taking drugs so I no it’s not going to become a addicting as I have so much pride it my family an what I have accomplished in life. I actually feel beta just saying this on this page with out people looking down on me an making me feeling worthless. Thanks

fred2018 Dealing with people when depressed

Would love to hear of people's experiences navigating the difficulties of being more sensitive to criticism some pyschs call this interpersonal sensitivity when depressed/anxious/irritable , I sometimes find dealing with friends or family tricky.

Would love to hear of people's experiences navigating the difficulties of being more sensitive to criticism some pyschs call this interpersonal sensitivity when depressed/anxious/irritable , I sometimes find dealing with friends or family tricky.

TodayImHolly I’m struggling and my partner is making me feel worse
  • replies: 1

Hi Everyone. I’ve had a long battle with mental illness stretching back a few years. However it has worsened over the last 12 months. Resulting in 2 hospitalisations this year. I am getting help from my GP and psychiatrist, I have been diagnosed with... View more

Hi Everyone. I’ve had a long battle with mental illness stretching back a few years. However it has worsened over the last 12 months. Resulting in 2 hospitalisations this year. I am getting help from my GP and psychiatrist, I have been diagnosed with depression, anxiety, PTSD and dissociative disorder. It’s been a difficult year and due to my depression and hospital stays I found myself unable to leave bed most days and stopped working. Financially I had savings to use until they ran out a few weeks ago. This is not an issue for my partner. His issue is that he doesn’t understand mental illness and doesn’t really care to educate himself. Often he is so understanding and patient, but when I’m struggling he calls me lazy. Today we were talking about building a life that you want and he commented that I haven’t managed to build myself any kind of life so far. It was so hurtful because it’s not true. I worked incredibly hard for the last ten years until my brain betrayed me. On another occasion He laughed at a decision I made years ago that he didn’t agree with, but that I stand by. I asked him to not laugh at my life, he told me if I didn’t want to be laughed at I shouldn’t have made my life such a joke. I know alone these Sound horrible and reason to distance myself, but at other times he can be so compassionate. It’s just that all these comments are wearing me down more and triggering a week long depression each time where I find it hard to leave a dark room. Advice on a healthy way to handle these feelings is appreciated. How do I stop myself feeling so affected by this stuff?

BirdieBro Treading Water

Hi there, I am a mother of a teenager who suffers from GAD - Generalised Anxiety Disorder. He has come off his medication with the assistance of his psychiatrist earlier this year, however against the psychiatrists recommendation. I have been keeping... View more

Hi there, I am a mother of a teenager who suffers from GAD - Generalised Anxiety Disorder. He has come off his medication with the assistance of his psychiatrist earlier this year, however against the psychiatrists recommendation. I have been keeping a very close eye on him with out pressure. Just sitting with, listening too and chatting. Looking for body language signs etc. So far so good, until a few weeks ago. He lost a work book for school and the seemingly simple task of raising his hand to say, 'Ive misplaced my book." is so debilitatingly terrifying. His breathing was tight and his face red. It totally breaks my heart. Not supposed to rescue him, but watching him suffer is so incredibly painful. Ive contacted the school asking for them to provide a safe space for him to tell them, without him knowing i have rung and I've provided him with a new book in the mean time so he doesn't fall behind. Ive cuddled, sat with, listened to and even sat in silence. Im wondering if any other parents find themselves becoming overwhelmed and sinking while trying to keep their children afloat? Thank you for taking the time to read this and thank you in advance for your support.

TiredDownOut Never fit in
  • replies: 4

Does anyone else feel that there is no place in the world for them? I have always struggled to fit in anywhere and I don't know what is wrong with me. I'm 49. Struggled to fit in at school and same goes for the workplace. Doesn't matter how hard I tr... View more

Does anyone else feel that there is no place in the world for them? I have always struggled to fit in anywhere and I don't know what is wrong with me. I'm 49. Struggled to fit in at school and same goes for the workplace. Doesn't matter how hard I try I just get rejected time and again. I feel hated for no reason. I try to do the right thing by others but it counts for nothing. Got sacked from a new job yesterday. My boss blamed me for her early miscarriage said I had upset her. Is this Salem? Am I a witch that can make ill just with a look? It's plain ridiculous now. What's the point of carrying on when you can't even make friends. How weary of the world I feel!

Jane_nial The never ending journey with bipolar

Hi, I was diagnosed with bipolar 4-5 years ago and I’ve got a very unstable mood. I’m up and down like a yo-yo despite taking my medication regularly. My moods pretty down at the moment and I’m really struggling even though on paper my life is going ... View more

Hi, I was diagnosed with bipolar 4-5 years ago and I’ve got a very unstable mood. I’m up and down like a yo-yo despite taking my medication regularly. My moods pretty down at the moment and I’m really struggling even though on paper my life is going really well. Is this what my life will be like forever? I feel like I can’t see an end to it all.

Bazleenus Has ADHD medication helped anyone stopped drinking?
  • replies: 5

So in september of last year, i was diagnosed bipolar type 2, and then in march this year 2019, have been rediagnosed into bipolar type 1. Now whilst trying 5000 different medications along the way, and treating the depression... Whenever i got sligh... View more

So in september of last year, i was diagnosed bipolar type 2, and then in march this year 2019, have been rediagnosed into bipolar type 1. Now whilst trying 5000 different medications along the way, and treating the depression... Whenever i got slightly low or high, which seems to be a monthly reoccurring thing, cycling back and forth.. But i would always end up drinking to either A, try calm down the mania (didnt help lol) or B forget about the shitty lows bipolar brings (also doesnt help haha). Then april this year, my psychiatrist out of nowhere randomly started asking me questions about how i was in school, etc etc The list goes on and on. But anyway, up till this day at the psychiatrist i was drinking 4-5 times a week almost, as it had become an addiction. But since the trial of the most common adhd medication in the world, it has literally gone from nearly everyday to literally once a week or less as more of a relaxation thing. Has anyone else experienced this? I used to itch and always want to go buy alcohol just to ignore the bullshit bipolar, but since being medicated for ADHD it has gone done not just a little bit, but MASSIVELY.. I cant put my finger on why it has, or how it has.. But it massively has. Since then, we have discovered I do suffer from both as im not allowed to take ADHD medication when i can feel a "high" coming on as it can send me too "high", and helps my lows a little bit aswell.. where instead of always being in the slumps, it seems to ease the "low" side of bipolar just that little bit. It has also literally almost completely fixed my sleeping pattern, as for years i have only gotten about 4-5 hours sleep a night on a good one, and sometimes would be up for 2 days or almost a week straight.. But now i am in bed at 9-10pm and struggling to climb out of bed at 6-7am as i finally have sleep in my eyes from i literally cant remember the last time. Can anyone relate? I'd love to hear your stories, or comments.

Annie_7 Bipolar, meds and weight.
  • replies: 6

I’ve been on medication for my bipolar for 10 years - all my adult life. Since starting my medication my weight has increased and increased and I’m now at my heaviest. My husband and I are trying for a baby and i know loosing some weight might help f... View more

I’ve been on medication for my bipolar for 10 years - all my adult life. Since starting my medication my weight has increased and increased and I’m now at my heaviest. My husband and I are trying for a baby and i know loosing some weight might help fertility. I’m so frustrated at my medical management. I’ve tried to tell my (multiple) GPs and (multiple) psychiatrists over the years that I feel like there is some underlying reason why I am having issues with my weight. They just keep linking my mood to my eating patterns. I’ve tried everything apart from surgery to get the weight off and nothing has helped. At this point I’m desperate. My weight is a huge trigger for stress. I’ve been doing some research about antipsychotic/antidepressants and metabolic syndromes/insulin resistance and I’m wondering if anyone else can shed some like on the subject/experience?