Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

combine1959 Really struggling with life and self worth
  • replies: 4

Hi All Im 26 years old and have been suffering from depression for quite some time now. I have trouble forming relationships both friend and romantic because of my depression. Im depressed and mainly lonely as although being 26 have never had a long ... View more

Hi All Im 26 years old and have been suffering from depression for quite some time now. I have trouble forming relationships both friend and romantic because of my depression. Im depressed and mainly lonely as although being 26 have never had a long term relationship actually the longest and only relationship ive ever had has only been one month which makes me think there is something wrong with me. when i was younger i could make friends easily but have always struggled with romantic relationships. I dont go out that often anymore as i dont enjoy myself when im out. Basically have a massive feeling of feeling useless, the lack of companionship and loneliness in my life has made me feel and believe that i am unlovable and will always be , struggling to find the positives to keep going as now and for a while the negatives have definitely outweighed the positives.

Jwidz Bipolar depression and really struggling.
  • replies: 3

Hi, Ive been struggling with Depression since May this year. My family tries to understand but my father keeps being too tough. just writing this thread is a massive effort. Ive been hospitalised twice already this year. my confidence is shattered, i... View more

Hi, Ive been struggling with Depression since May this year. My family tries to understand but my father keeps being too tough. just writing this thread is a massive effort. Ive been hospitalised twice already this year. my confidence is shattered, id love to free myself of depression for good i just need some help getting through it all. Im struggling to concentrate on reading and id love to one day get back to work. my memory has mostly faded and im really really struggling.

coolkid20203 hi

hi im new i dont know what im doing or what to do

hi im new i dont know what im doing or what to do

Banksia17 Bipolar - struggles with changing meds and being able to work

Hi, this is my first post. I'm feeling terribly lonely about my condition. I have a supportive partner and family who always try their best, but it's so relentless struggling with bipolar symptoms and treatment. My current problem is how to be 'norma... View more

Hi, this is my first post. I'm feeling terribly lonely about my condition. I have a supportive partner and family who always try their best, but it's so relentless struggling with bipolar symptoms and treatment. My current problem is how to be 'normal' while going through major drug changes. I am so tired I can't get out of bed in the morning. I've got shakes, zaps and tearfulness. It's so hard to go to work. I have just lied and said i have had gastro for two weeks! That makes me ashamed. Does anyone have tips on how to better manage drug changes? Thank you for any help you can give. Xx

Lost not found I don’t know what to do

So I’m kind of new to this but I’ll try my best. for the past 2 years I’ve been feeling really depressed, obviously not all the time but more than I would like aha. Last year I was in a really bad place to where I needed counselling, but I didn’t rea... View more

So I’m kind of new to this but I’ll try my best. for the past 2 years I’ve been feeling really depressed, obviously not all the time but more than I would like aha. Last year I was in a really bad place to where I needed counselling, but I didn’t really like being there so I just acted fine and I was fine, for a few months until I started feeling depressed again and I’ve felt this way ever since. I don’t want to feel like this, it ruins my days and I just feel tired all the time. I think I should see someone to try and get medication but whenever I try and go see someone I get really anxiety and I can’t go into the hospital, it’s almost like a panic attack. I also don’t want to tell me parents that I’m back in that state because they were so hurt last year, I don’t want to put them through anything like that again, so I’m trying to do it by myself. My friends don’t know about it, but I’m thinking about telling them instead of my parents. Since I’m 18 it should be fine to get the medication by myself right? anyway I’m just kinda asking what I should do, kinda lost at the moment and I’m looking for help

Djordat Have lost hope, life is wasted on me, do not try, anymore. Only darkness and fear.
  • replies: 3

Have been lost for so long it is now a comfort to stay here. Do not want my life, and am of no use. I tried so hard. And now I am done with it. Have spoken to no one since last here. So, one last try. Djordat.

Have been lost for so long it is now a comfort to stay here. Do not want my life, and am of no use. I tried so hard. And now I am done with it. Have spoken to no one since last here. So, one last try. Djordat.

white knight Depression- how to survive it

Survival, what an ultimatum of a word. But in my 63 years I have survived and gone further, how to remain strong and healthy while enduring depression. Treatment. Yes, you might be doing the best you can- consider returning to your GP to tweek those ... View more

Survival, what an ultimatum of a word. But in my 63 years I have survived and gone further, how to remain strong and healthy while enduring depression. Treatment. Yes, you might be doing the best you can- consider returning to your GP to tweek those meds, a care plan to talk things over with a professional and so on. Stability. IMO the most delicate area of maintaining stability is other people be it there negative influence or our own problems like intolerance or intrusive thoughts that we tend to end up paranoid about. https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/relationship-and-family-issues/fortress-of-survival Environment. Uprooting your family to move to a strange place isnt good for stability but if done wisely that improves your standard of living, it can be life changing that could minimalise moods and depressive episodes. Hobbies and sports. A passion has to come from within, no one can advise you which passion to choose, but if you were to find one then this is a major distraction to your illness. Talking endlessly about our illness often leads to counter productivity. Distraction and keeping busy is good keeping your mind occupied. Conflict resolution. We tend to argue more than others as we are not well. Find strategies that work for both of you to resolve. Consult relationship counseling. Here is one idea- https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/relationship-and-family-issues/relationship-strife-the-peace-pipe#qmy1OnHzvGGEbv8AAOnT_A Acceptance. Easy to say. We are who we are. Our depression is as part of us as our limbs. It is unlikely to go on a planned holiday. Better to accept it with its ups and downs and be more at peace. https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/accepting-yourself-the-frog-and-the-scorpion#qi1Wu3HzvGGEbv8AAOnT_A Relaxation. Includes holidays, even one night away with a campfire looking at stars can rejuvenate you and kids love it. Consider a camping unit like a camper trailer or start with a tent Expectations. Please dont expect others to understand your illness. That's what this forum is for, to share your problems. Care for your carer Inner peace. By far in the last 30 years my development personally has been invaluable in the form of spirituality (non religion). To appreciate what I have not what I dont. https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/meditation---words-of-wisdom---it-helped-me-for-25-years#qe4ivHHzvGGEbv8AAOnT_A TonyWK

FreedomCat The struggle is real
  • replies: 5

Been struggling with depression for over 10 years It was worsened last year with the passing of my sister. Now my family are all fake and drive me insane. I quit my stable job because other lazy people weren’t pulling their weight and I was doing mor... View more

Been struggling with depression for over 10 years It was worsened last year with the passing of my sister. Now my family are all fake and drive me insane. I quit my stable job because other lazy people weren’t pulling their weight and I was doing more I’ve started a new job that sounded promising but it turns out it’s just a total slog (physically intense, no opportunity to use my knowledge and experience in the field which I thought I could) More often than not I would just rather be dead. Suicide isn’t an option because that would be slack to my fiance Im a poor partner in my relationship because I’m often angry, upset, numb, accusing or jealous. We have been together for almost ten years but now there is no intimacy. Nothing seems to go right, can’t be happy. Just don’t know what to do anymore Have organised a free counselling session/meeting with Beyond Blues assistance program but only available dates are during work. Also organised a mental health plan with my GP to arrange free counselling but I haven’t heard from them. I just don’t know what to do anymore. I give up.

Djordat Alone, forgotten, saddend, no self respect, no motivation, totally disillusioned, outcast???
  • replies: 47

Hi, not sure whether this is the right thing to do? I have no one else to speak with, about how things are with my position. I know I have allowed things in my life to way me down, to the point where, I can not seem to see the way out. Some days are ... View more

Hi, not sure whether this is the right thing to do? I have no one else to speak with, about how things are with my position. I know I have allowed things in my life to way me down, to the point where, I can not seem to see the way out. Some days are better than others, I find great solace, in the animals in my life, of which are many, mostly wild. I seem to feel great empathy and sadness for the hopelessness, I see in all things around me, and take it on board. I try to help others of all species, and cant help myself. Once, I was the most trusting of all that I met, and gave of everything I could freely and honestly, only to be tossed aside each time. And still, I leave myself open to the users and the self indulged, blinded to there indifference, I accept there words and smooth ways. It's in disbelief, and distrusting suspicion that I thrive now, detached and isolated from all but nature, in that I trust. It's very hard to describe the way of things, but in this way I remain distant and detached, where it's safe. I still have to endure dramas and problems in my life due to commitments and responsibility's every day. I hide well my ashamed self, and put up a good front to all those I deal with every day, at arms length. A social life I have none, interacting with others closely none, alone in mind, alone in body, alone in spirit. Have recently been accumulating my rubbish around me on display, so as to remind me what I am. Sorry to burden any who read this with my silliness, but would like any comments, may be out of all the self analysis, other views and opinions or experiences may help me turn around this endlessness. I know I have much more to give in many ways, but cant get the pointlessness out of me!! With much respect and a kind heart, Thank You.

Devilmandan Lonely
  • replies: 1

Hey, I'm new on here but wanted to let people know what I'm going Through. I have just recently moved out of the family home to work On my mental health, and now it has created an even bigger Separation between me and my wife. It just feels like ever... View more

Hey, I'm new on here but wanted to let people know what I'm going Through. I have just recently moved out of the family home to work On my mental health, and now it has created an even bigger Separation between me and my wife. It just feels like everything I Do or say to her at the moment sets her off. I know I haven't been Very pleasant to live with at times but I am trying to deal with it This time and it's been hard. Will she forgive me down the track If I give her space or am I destend to be lonely. I do have two beautiful Teenage kids and they are very understanding of what's going on. They also can't understand why there mum is being this way either But I just tell them, she is scared and worried about me, Am I wrong?