Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Darekairu Today
  • replies: 3

FEELING BAD Everything is so annoying! I want to smash something I want to hurt something Small things are making me so angry The rain. The cat screeching The dogs pulling on the lead The barking every time there's a noise I want to scream The walls ... View more

FEELING BAD Everything is so annoying! I want to smash something I want to hurt something Small things are making me so angry The rain. The cat screeching The dogs pulling on the lead The barking every time there's a noise I want to scream The walls creaking The licking noise the dogs are making The sound of my husband's speaker phone rumbling Can it just all stop! Why am I getting so frustrated so easily I don't feel ok at the moment. I waver between feelings of frustration to feelings of boredom Hopelessness And anger Then I try and pick myself up And it works for a while I smile and focus on nature I can be in awe of the world I exercise I eat well. But then something small shifts the good feelings and I feel on edge and angry Or low and just sad So up and down lately There's nothing to look forward to anymore It is all becoming so repetitive And pointless Not sure what I need or even want - to feel better Physically not feeling great either Stomach not right Head not right What would I do if I only had months to live? That's been a thought lately No I don't want ro harm myself Quite the opposite As I don't feel I've got anywhere in life yet All I know is I'm not happy I'm not satisfied If I died soon it would be such a waste No real peak or purpose reached

Miranda007 help! words of wisdom needed - bipolar 2, ADHD and ASD have ruined my marriage
  • replies: 2

Hi, I'm just seeking anyone's experience with my situation. Our marriage was on the rocks 8 years ago. 4 years ago my husband cheated on me twice and I have now discovered he is cheating. We have been married for 26 years. In no way am I defending my... View more

Hi, I'm just seeking anyone's experience with my situation. Our marriage was on the rocks 8 years ago. 4 years ago my husband cheated on me twice and I have now discovered he is cheating. We have been married for 26 years. In no way am I defending my husbands actions but I do admit that the last 10 years have been harder for him emotionally and physically in the relationship. We have 2 beautiful boys, 1 is 20 and the other 15. The eldest has ASD/depression/anxiety and the youngest has adhd and tourettes. Our family life has been quite full on over the years, getting them to this stage but everything has taken its toll, Due to bp2 and asd it can be difficult for me to show and give affection. As we all know bp2 is a difficult beast to master and constant drug juggling. I feel liike such a stuff up, I feel like I am a burden to the whole family. My husband is a lovely, caring guy with a big heart but unfortunately I had only just started to trust him last year in the relationship after his infidelity in 2016. His multiple affairs and lying straight to my face, children being devastated, it has made all my mental illness worse.I am psychologically scarred and find it hard to undo the mental mindmap from that terrible time. We are supposed to go to marriage counselling this weekend. He told me last week hr wanted a divorce as I never believe him (i found a text on his instagram from his first affair). I have just discovered things on the bank account (singles sites, dating apps, a gift for the girl he is seeing etc. I feel ill, my anxiety is of the Richter and its destabilized my bp2. He doesnt know I know so on Sunday I will raise it in a safe space of counselling. I know he plays a large part in this downfall but I feel incredibly guilty that I couldn't do what was needed, put aside my own mental instabliity/road blocks. To make it worse his father died today. My husband is a fifo worker so flies home tomorrow. sorry for the rant but I really have no one else to confide in. My family don't know the reason for our first 6 month separation. I feel so hopeless, a failure, a bad mother, I can feel the rapid decline in my mental state. This happened last time and I feel I let my kids down and spent most of the time crying and sleeping. I hate myself so much and its just so exhausting in overdrive with anxiety. I had today off and I'm taking tomorrow off. I just want to run away, i cant face it.

Cait333 Depression is getting worse.
  • replies: 11

I'm not sure what happened but my depression and anxiety have never been this bad and I don't see it getting any better. I honestly feel I am beyond all help and just want it to end now. Every time I reach out for help I'm met with "don't worry, thin... View more

I'm not sure what happened but my depression and anxiety have never been this bad and I don't see it getting any better. I honestly feel I am beyond all help and just want it to end now. Every time I reach out for help I'm met with "don't worry, things will get better" and "have you tried taking up a hobby?" like... seriously? I feel like my world is coming to an end and the best advice I get is to take up knitting? I never feel like what I am going through is treated as an adult situation, rather I get professionals and others talking to me about my mental illness like I'm a five-year-old. I did have one doctor who after I repeatedly told him that I was miserable, put me on anti-depressants but he moved away and the area that I live in to pretty remote so when I got a new doctor, she wasn't keen on me continuing with the medication but to be honest the medication or the amount that I was on made little difference anyway. I am constantly being handed around to different teams of mental health/community workers, doctors, counselors, therapists, like I'm just being handed off to different people saying "here, she's your problem now" This is hell.

Guest_4643 Hi everyone, I'm back.
  • replies: 742

Hi everyone, mb20lover here. I wasn't sure where to post this. It's been a while since I was on the forums, so I just wanted to make a post saying that I'm back. However, I'll try my best to limit my time, comments, etc on here. I won't bother taggin... View more

Hi everyone, mb20lover here. I wasn't sure where to post this. It's been a while since I was on the forums, so I just wanted to make a post saying that I'm back. However, I'll try my best to limit my time, comments, etc on here. I won't bother tagging anyone, and I'll try to keep this as my only open thread that I have created. I've missed everyone I've spoken to on here, and I hope to talk to some new people. I have been using my offline supports - my Psychiatrist, GP, Parent support of course, and a Social Worker. I'm in the process of finding a Psychologist but I'm having no luck. Anyway, I just wanted to pop in and say hello, and also I hope I haven't upset anyone on the forums or anything like that because nothing was intentional, so I deeply apologise. An update on me, I recently turned 21, can't do much with COVID though, it's a hard year for everyone unfortunately. I also have a milestone, an achievement, I've been seeing my Psychiatrist for a year which is the longest I've stayed with a therapist. And I also finally have a GP I feel comfortable with. I'm on different meds that seem to be working a little but I still of course have my moments, but these meds I've been on the longest for out of any of the ones I've tried. Other than that, please don't feel pressured to comment anyone, although it would be nice to connect with some people, old or new, but like I said that's okay. I just wanted to check in. If you've read this and made it this far, thank you. Stay safe and take care everyone, as much as possible with the unfortunate COVID circumstances. Thinking of all the Beyond Blue Mods & Users. I've missed everyone. - mb20lover.

Summerinvincible Toxic Positivity & Depression
  • replies: 6

I’m so fed up with toxic positivity that seems to be popular lately. the very idea that if you change your thoughts to positive ones, that gives you the power to change external events in your life. and also, it’s your fault if bad things happen to y... View more

I’m so fed up with toxic positivity that seems to be popular lately. the very idea that if you change your thoughts to positive ones, that gives you the power to change external events in your life. and also, it’s your fault if bad things happen to you. Because you thought negative things and made it happen. I understand that it can help improve your mindset if you focus on things that are going right. I get that, and that’s fine, but this is different. i.e. I broke my foot 8 weeks ago and was told it would take 6-8 weeks to get back to normal. The bone has healed just fine but my foot and toes are still swollen and I can’t walk on it without a moon boot. As you can imagine,I am worried and depressed. No amount of positive thinking can change this. It’s frustrating when people tell me it can! We don’t have magic powers

Rupes79 Advice for someone struggling with depression
  • replies: 4

Hi Folks Ive been struggling with depression for most of this year. I consulted my GP earlier this year and was put on medication. This medication was recently changed as I was suffering adverse side effects from it which were exacerbating my issues.... View more

Hi Folks Ive been struggling with depression for most of this year. I consulted my GP earlier this year and was put on medication. This medication was recently changed as I was suffering adverse side effects from it which were exacerbating my issues. I have a psychologist I am working with to deal with past issues in a relationship. The psychologist is very skilled and is assisting greatly with working through the issues I have from previous years. I have been seeing them for 5 months and have had ten sessions. I want to keep working with her. The concern I have is that while I have a long and trusted relationship with my GP (over ten years) I don’t think mental health is a strong point for him and feel I have exhausted all help he’s able to offer. I have tried to raise the depression issue with my psychologist in the last two sessions (most recent one was today) but I don’t feel she is taking it seriously and is almost dismissive of it. So I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do. I could change psychologists but I would feel I’ve wasted the last 5 months and am still keen to work with her in the issues we are uncovering. I realise these are likely the source of my depression and need resolving but I also realise this may take many months and I am not sure I can sustain the low feelings I have for that length of time. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

MiddleOfNowhere Depression & anxiety in the bush

Does anyone else feel that inevitably their life will enter a time where its not worth it anymore. Do I work my whole life? For what? Do I have kids and watch them leave and have their own lives? My partner dies or we seperate? Then what? At the mome... View more

Does anyone else feel that inevitably their life will enter a time where its not worth it anymore. Do I work my whole life? For what? Do I have kids and watch them leave and have their own lives? My partner dies or we seperate? Then what? At the moment I’m finding it hard to find a reason that keeps everyone hanging around. I used to be a hard worker, 14 hour days 3 months straight. I’m burnt out. I need some time to myself but I’m just not getting it. I don’t know what to do or where to go. If I quit my job/industry I feel I will hate the next thing I do. If I don’t leave I will run myself into the ground. Married 2 months ago and don’t know how to talk to my husband about this. It’s so hard for anyone to understand.

MamaWiks Audiobook recommedation
  • replies: 6

First time post and first time reaching out for help. can anyone recommend an audiobook that has helped them start the road out of depression. My brain fog makes it hard to read books and I thought maybe I’d try an audiobook? many thanks

First time post and first time reaching out for help. can anyone recommend an audiobook that has helped them start the road out of depression. My brain fog makes it hard to read books and I thought maybe I’d try an audiobook? many thanks

Pip25 Chronic Illness - I feel like a burden

Hi everyone, I'm 33 years old and developed a chronic pain condition 2 years ago as a result of a surgery gone wrong. I tried my best for so long to keep life going as usual but juggling pain, medical appointments, work and my mental health all becam... View more

Hi everyone, I'm 33 years old and developed a chronic pain condition 2 years ago as a result of a surgery gone wrong. I tried my best for so long to keep life going as usual but juggling pain, medical appointments, work and my mental health all became too much. At the moment I'm not working and am being financially supported by my partner. My medical bills are really high and I don't qualify for any government support. I feel as though I'm watching all my friends meet life milestones like buying their first home, starting a family and advancing in their career. I feel like a failure and a financial drain on the people I love most. Before my surgery, my partner and I were saving for a home and were planning to start a family very soon but I'm not even able to have children due to the medication I depend on to manage my condition; I always dreamt of being a mum. Does anyone out there understand or relate to what I'm going through and how did you get through this? I'm struggling to see a light at the other end of this dark tunnel but I'm really trying. Thank you!

Purple__Butterfly The depression is winning need help
  • replies: 18

I feel like my depression is winning. I don't see the point in life anymore and I feel like a massive burden on people. my parents are having money issues and it doesn't help they have to keep buying my medication. I don't know what to do anymore, It... View more

I feel like my depression is winning. I don't see the point in life anymore and I feel like a massive burden on people. my parents are having money issues and it doesn't help they have to keep buying my medication. I don't know what to do anymore, It's like I'm falling down this black hole that seems to never end or a tunnel with no light at the end of it. I'm so lost. I have no motivation for anything anymore. I have a case worker but nothing is working. Has anyone been in this position and found a way out?