Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

jim Not dealing very well..
  • replies: 2

ok so i have been suffering with anxiety for the past 7 or 8 years i have been abale to pull myself out of it every time i go through this only this time its different i am on anti anxiety meds and there just not working i have been back to see my do... View more

ok so i have been suffering with anxiety for the past 7 or 8 years i have been abale to pull myself out of it every time i go through this only this time its different i am on anti anxiety meds and there just not working i have been back to see my doctor about this but he just says give it time! i have started a new job and my anxiety is killing me to the point where i want to call in sick everyday but i push myself to go cause i need this job i really am not coping at the moment and i am lost i dont know how to get past this i am seeing a shrink and they give me breathing excersizes witch arnt working any more if anyone could offer some advice on how to handle my anxiety a little bit better that would be great... thanks

Marley I'm so tired of living like this
  • replies: 3

I'm totally fed up living like a prisoner in my own mind. I can't control my feelings or thoughts no matter how hard I try. I take sleeping tablets sometimes and even then I have the weirdest dreams and wake up tired. surely there has to be something... View more

I'm totally fed up living like a prisoner in my own mind. I can't control my feelings or thoughts no matter how hard I try. I take sleeping tablets sometimes and even then I have the weirdest dreams and wake up tired. surely there has to be something to control these thoughts and feeli ha of depression and anxiety. My life just feels like a misery. I feel like I live from day to day with I joy. I feel like I shouldn't have far kids, they drive me insane with their issues and not wanting to do school work. I feel like every damn thing I do is a friggin battle. Why the heck can't things just go smoothly, why can't my kids just do stuff instead of being awkward with homework school etc. i wonder do I just stress too much???? I wish I could just be a laid back oh well who cares, whatever will happen, you just deal with it? Any suggestions? i feel like I have no one to talk to. I feel like am complaining all the time and other parents don't seem to whinge about their kids like I want to. I'm sick of trying so hard to he a good mother, it doesn't seem to work. I just want to be me again and I don't know where me went....

Curls92 Didn't Think it Would Happen to Me.
  • replies: 0

My life has been a journey, like everyone's, I've had struggles and successes and have made it passed them with lessons learnt. I've recently turned 21, and up till now, my life has kept on improving and building upwards. My life is a million times b... View more

My life has been a journey, like everyone's, I've had struggles and successes and have made it passed them with lessons learnt. I've recently turned 21, and up till now, my life has kept on improving and building upwards. My life is a million times better than it was a year or four years ago. But alongside that, I have felt like I have been constantly battling some emotional barriers that have kept me from being content with the things I have right now. I know things are never perfect, but for a long time I have felt that I'm not happy with what I have, despite how far I have come in life. For that past year I have been dating an amazing and beautiful guy who I just cannot love enough of. He is everything to me and I am completely in love with him. But since we have started to become serious about our life together, another side of me is just not happy with anything. He is the complete opposite to my ex-boyfriend who was abusive at times, I was only 17 then, and didn't know any better. My partner now is wonderful. He treats me with respect and kindness and with nothing but love. But I have come to the realisation that I have been blaming him for the things my ex had done to me. I started to feel jealously, resentment, anger, frustration, all these negative feelings towards my partner. I accuse him of things that he hasn't done and it has put strane on our relationship. I'm always alert when other girls are around and watch him to see if he looks at them. I'm always on my toes, never relaxed, and cant enjoy my present life. Just a couple days ago, my partner and I were at a shopping center and I thought I saw him look at another girl. Instantly, I became so frustrated and angry I just walked away from him. As I was walking I saw one beautiful girl after another walk passed him and thought the same exact thoughts as before. I became so consumed in my thoughts that I started to breathe quicker and heavier, my hands started to become irritant, I couldn't keep still, I was walking quickly, and my head was just spinning dizzily out of control. I had to walk all the way back to the car just to breathe normally again. It had never happened to me before... Nothing like that anyway. I started to research about it, and found that constant events can bring on anxiety. The constant event is me thinking my partner is always looking at other women, always thinking of other women, always trying to hide things from me... Exactly how my ex treated me. I don't know how to stop these beliefs. I don't want to believe them. I know my partner is nothing like my ex. Sometimes, I think that I will never be able to have a life long relationship because of the trust issues I have. My partner and I have talked about my issues and we have started to develop ways to overcome them. I know one day I will get through this. I want to spend the rest of my life with this man, and I can feel it in my heart that I will do everything to overcome it. I am seeking professional help to get through this. It's the fight within myself I have to use to get passed this negativity. People dont deserve to be punished for something someone else did to you, and I don't understand why we hurt the ones we love the most? I dont understand why we cant believe something when we know it's true? Maybe we just have to be children again and learn without question and teach without certainty to find truth through our choices? Maybe I just need a blank canvas ready for new beliefs?

myffy anxiety tips

hey all i have been dianogsed just over a year now with anxiety and its horrible ive been on so many tablets just trying to find the right one im on a good one now that seems to b working but still get attacks which i take a short acting ant anxiety ... View more

hey all i have been dianogsed just over a year now with anxiety and its horrible ive been on so many tablets just trying to find the right one im on a good one now that seems to b working but still get attacks which i take a short acting ant anxiety medication for when i get them just wondering how others deal with them after some ideas on what i can do to relieve it other then resorting to the short acting relaxing medication. thanks

claudia unsure of anxiety
  • replies: 1

I was put on a medication for anxiety about a year ago when I was 16 i take it every day and its a continuous routine. The psychiatrist never told me why I should go on it. I don't even know why i'm on it, I think i'm depressed rather than anxious. O... View more

I was put on a medication for anxiety about a year ago when I was 16 i take it every day and its a continuous routine. The psychiatrist never told me why I should go on it. I don't even know why i'm on it, I think i'm depressed rather than anxious. Or maybe both. I dont know weather I'm just feeling sorry for myself or not. I feel selfish when I realise that other's lives are in a much worst state than my own. I don't know many people that feel a similar sense of what I'm feeling. Going through my half Yearly yr 12 exams at the moment, I feel worthless and cant really be bothered to sit down and study. I get upset easily my the smallest things. I'm over sensitive and my friends call me a drama queen. My mother doesn't understand me even though she says she does. I quite often seek attention as my parents are always directing it towards my other siblings. I know a minimal number of people that know how I'm feeling. I've stopped seeing my psychologist for about 2 months now as I found her too challenging and questioned my logic, also not understanding me. I don;t believe in paying a stranger $100 an hr to be paid to listen to how you feel when they're probably living mediocre lives. The doctors think that medicine solves everything.

SharonBV I thought I was stupid and weird

Until I was diagnosed a few years ago with social phobia, severe anxiety disorder and clinical depression, which I've had my whole life (I'm now mid 40's). The diagnosis only came because I had moved to the city to live with my partner and get a bett... View more

Until I was diagnosed a few years ago with social phobia, severe anxiety disorder and clinical depression, which I've had my whole life (I'm now mid 40's). The diagnosis only came because I had moved to the city to live with my partner and get a better job after living in the country all my life, and living/working in suburbia caused things to spiral completely out of control. Finding out I wasn't stupid, weird and weak was a relief, and knowing what was wrong helped me understand my life up to that point. The diagnosis also only came after I was able to talk to my partner and admit something was wrong, and with his support, sought help from a GP, and was then referred to a mental health nurse. There are many reasons I am this way, I'm quiet and shy by nature, was socially isolated apart from family, until I started school, my dad died when I was 6 (I didn't talk for days after, and made many 'wills' as a child among other things, so it had an effect). We don't show affection, feelings or encouragement in my family, sarcasm and teasing are our form of 'affection', feelings are weak and should be bottled up and you never hear praise. I love my family, I know they love me, we just don't say it or show it. I tried my hardest in school, at work and during a 16 year relationship which resembled the way my family is, no praise or encouragement, and shows of emotion are weak and embarrassing. I allowed myself to be treated as doormat and whipping post (not literally) until I couldn't stand it any longer and plucked up the resolve and courage to end the relationship. I had absolutely no self esteem, no confidence and no idea what was wrong with me. I met my partner a few years later and moved to the city, I tried hard to get used to it, he is a wonderful and supportive man, I had a job I liked well enough with people who liked me (I continue to find that amazing), but I couldn't cope and slowly crumbled. It became dangerous for me to drive, I was physically ill with fear if I had to go out, I ate little, slept badly, was unable to work and some days could barely function. Even with medication and sessions with a mental health nurse over 18 months, things got worse and I was told I had little hope of recovery whilst living in suburbia, and moved back to the country, I was assisted with applying for a disability pension and pretty much left to my own devices because I'm not able to drive far enough to see a mental health professional. The only help out here is your GP, and the first 6 - 12 months were hard, I bought a pup to have something to make me get out of bed and getting on with life. He has been better than all the medication, and can make me smile and laugh and feel loved even on the worst day. I discovered a talent for painting, which also helps fulfill my need to achieve something and have a purpose, and my best days are ones spent with a brush or pencil in my hand. They're also the ones I feel hungry and sleep well. I manage the depression fairly well now, I've also started believing that I am a good and worthwhile person, and I deserve to be liked and loved. I still shake and sweat and feel like I'm going to throw up on my shoes when I have to go out every few weeks to do shopping, but I do it anyway and try and make it as positive experience as I can. I speak to people I know and ones I don't know, and no-one gets angry or makes fun of me, even if my mind goes blank and I stammer out something that makes no sense. It's a far longer process than I ever imagined it would be, but every step takes me that bit further, and when I look back now, I've come a long, long way from where I was. Don't give up, ask for help, accept help, and know that you aren't alone.

stillhopeful does anyone know

what is appropriate type of perscription medication for anxiety, I dont like what I am on as it makes me very drowsy

what is appropriate type of perscription medication for anxiety, I dont like what I am on as it makes me very drowsy

Dizzy_Liz Face Numbness

Hi All, i am new to the forum, i was diagnosed 4 months ago with PTSD and anxiety. i have now started to develop numbness on the left side of my face along the cheek. Can anyone tell me if this is normal as it does frighten me.

Hi All, i am new to the forum, i was diagnosed 4 months ago with PTSD and anxiety. i have now started to develop numbness on the left side of my face along the cheek. Can anyone tell me if this is normal as it does frighten me.

ava_rose shaky, scared and silent

I have no clue how to start this. Reaching out about mental illness is something foreign to me, and it takes immense commitment to not quit the page. I have always been a very mature, healthy young person, so to acknowledge i have a ‘mental illness’ ... View more

I have no clue how to start this. Reaching out about mental illness is something foreign to me, and it takes immense commitment to not quit the page. I have always been a very mature, healthy young person, so to acknowledge i have a ‘mental illness’ is kind of, weird? My anxiety has become a consistent feeling throughout my day to day life. It sits in my stomach and shakes my hands and makes me sweat in the most calm and insignificant situations. I first experienced a panic attack last October, it was roughly 3-4 hours and i’ve had regular attacks ever since. Anxiety has sprung on me unexpectedly, and unlike all other aspects of my life (where i am free to talk about how i feel openly – with a very supportive group of friends, connected school and devoted family) i feel enormous apprehension to approach anyone i know about this. i wake up and feel anxious, i shake in between classes and only find relief once i am talking to my best friend (who urges me to seek professional help – which i dismiss, not because i do not believe it won’t work, but because it’s a struggle for me to post this, let alone face someone and tell them that there is something wrong with me?) I don’t know what to do, is talking to a doctor the only way? I want answers but everything seems crowded in my mind and i can’t figure out where to start looking. Please help, there is no one i feel comfortable talking too, but i can’t contain all this madness inside. Ava x

Buckley05 Health Anxiety

Hi there, I heard Beyond Blue advertised on the radio today and I decided to go to their website and that has led me to joining the online community. Does anyone out there have health anxiety? I have had it for as long as I can remember and to be hon... View more

Hi there, I heard Beyond Blue advertised on the radio today and I decided to go to their website and that has led me to joining the online community. Does anyone out there have health anxiety? I have had it for as long as I can remember and to be honest in it's early days I managed it very well and even now feel that my case is mild as I have learned to manage it as best as I can myself but I am always interested in other peoples ways of coping and maybe I might be able to help someone out there with how I have taught myself to manage this. To be honest, in my case I don't stress over every illness or disease that there is. My main anxiety is with cancer, mainly breast cancer. I have no explanation why, it's just something that I stress over. I don't go to the doctor every 5 minutes and have set myself strict rules on checking myself and doubting myself all the time. I have done my own research and sourced some good information over the internet on management techniques and how you can overcome negative thoughts which have helped me but regulary I keep second guessing myself, like for eg. I only check my breasts one a month and then once I've checked them I doubt myself and say "maybe I've missed something". I do refrain myself from checking them again because one thing I have learned is if you repeat this checking behaviour it helps in the short term but then you doubt yourself again and so the cycle starts over. I asked my doctor to send me off the an ultrasound to make sure nothing is wrong and he knows that I struggle with the "girls" lol. Anyway, I believe that with anxiety especially OCD related anxiety and I think health anxiety falls into that category as it's repetitive behaviour it's very important to follow the techniques to help you manage and hopefully cure the anxiety. Although I have told my husband how I get and he is understanding, I tend to keep this subject to myself and when it kicks in try and follow my manage system. Although I don't think I will ever be rid of it totally, of late I have decided that instead of fighting it and always wanting to make these thoughts totally go away and all the time I would fail at that. Lately for me it's about management with my feelings and if you can get a good balance of that things will be ok. I will say that one thing that has stuck in my mind with my findings about health anxiety, "If you can accept uncertainty, your worries will go away, as soon as you fight uncertainty your worries will stay". Everybody has uncertainty in their life its the way we handle it which can make a difference.