Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

Lenie_code Performance anxiety
  • replies: 1

Hi I'm freaking out. I'm normally tense ( I think it's the only thing holding together). But panicking, gonna vomit or pass out because I am standing in front of a large assembly (job requires it, normally work one on one with people but exceptions l... View more

Hi I'm freaking out. I'm normally tense ( I think it's the only thing holding together). But panicking, gonna vomit or pass out because I am standing in front of a large assembly (job requires it, normally work one on one with people but exceptions like this arise) any advice on how to get through this with some grace?

MeganRN Hello- I need someone to listen..

Hi everyone- My name is Megan. I'm 35 years old and have struggled with anxiety/depression and bipolar disorder since I was about 20 years old. I thought I had concurred my demons - but apparently I was wrong. I went all through nursing school (even ... View more

Hi everyone- My name is Megan. I'm 35 years old and have struggled with anxiety/depression and bipolar disorder since I was about 20 years old. I thought I had concurred my demons - but apparently I was wrong. I went all through nursing school (even graduated with an invitation to join a prestigious nursing honor society) with minimal anxiety. Up until the end of school I was only taking my regular medications.... but everything changed and has not gone back. I am currently dealing with an 18 year old son who is having a difficult time with life. I just transitioned into a new job - which I love and I am so scared I will lose if they find any of this out. I have panic attacks DAILY.. sometimes HOURLY.... I get through the day with medication.. sometimes that doesn't even help. I have had my heart checked and although I do have benign PVC's and some mitral valve regurgitation - there is nothing wrong with my heart.... I feel like once I figure out that I am not going to die from my symptoms- my body attempts to fool me with new symptoms.... Now I feel like my head has pressure and sometimes I feel as if I'm going to pass out.... often I feel this way.... My palms get sweaty, I feel sick.. I know this is anxiety because it only happens when I leave my house and if I take medication I feel better.. .if it was really something with my brain or heart- this medication would not help it.... My husband tries to be supportive but he get sick of it , I'm sure... I would too... I'm just looking for a friend or someone to talk to.. I feel so alone and hopeless.. I signed up for an intensive outpatient program through Rogers Memorial which is a leading hospital when it comes to Anxiety.. but they have me on a waitlist.. so who knows how long it will take before I can get in.. Thanks for listening..

bfay02 Advice?
  • replies: 3

Hello, I'll start off by telling whoever is reading a little about myself. I am a 19 year old female who suffers from anxiety and depression. Signs of this began in my early teens (13-14) when my half sister was born, i started self mutilating, would... View more

Hello, I'll start off by telling whoever is reading a little about myself. I am a 19 year old female who suffers from anxiety and depression. Signs of this began in my early teens (13-14) when my half sister was born, i started self mutilating, wouldnt move out of my room, etc. To cut an extremely long and painful story short - My biological father has denied me from day dot as he suffers from a herion addiction, my mother is also a drug addict but she abuses perscription pain killers, my step father is abusive and all sorts of messed up. My mums first husband (when I was around 5-7) used to physically abuse me and my mum she quickly moved on to her husband she is still with now (the crazy one). In my teens my mother relied on me a lot to look after my sister and then shortly after, brother. Because my step dad is too fat and lazy to do anything ever, he was always either blind drunk or at work. My mum used to mix so many manipulative toxic things into my mind about my step dad, telling me he is a bad person etc.. So many mixed messages, but when it comes down to it what she really taught me was, men are garbage "the dirt you walk on!" So now you have the jist - my childhood was pretty sh*t. I have seen so many different psycholigsts etc and they all just p*ss me off because they all say the same "when you're angry try and breath deeply!" i tell you right now, when i am mad i am not stopping to "breathe!" I'm not stopping for anything...I know what my problem is, i can easily identify when I am acting out etc, its just i still cant control it, the rage for no aparent reason, the lashing out at my boyfriend, the bossiness, and most of the time, the tears. I cry so much all the time over nothing at all. I find myself sitting in my bathroom with the worst pain in my chest just wailing and if I am found by my partner i simply cant explain why I am so distraught. I simply tell him its "everything!" .... My main problem is that my first boyfriend, I cheated on because I was so accustom to my mothers ways (i watched her cheat on my step dad multiple times) once i pulled myself out of those ways and taught myself that those actions are dead wrong is when i met my boyfriend now - and here is where i need help - He is a great guy, really nice, caring. He opened up his home to me. He has his demons too, and he has an anger issue, when he is mad there is no stopping him, he even gets violent (never with me! i promise) I find myself spending a lot of money on him and I do absolutely everything for him, like cook, clean, wash his clothes, etc... and he doesnt do anything, but proceeds to tell me that I am lazy! Anywho, thats not the point... I care for him, a lot. We laugh, play and i have a lot of fun with him but i am not sure he is the one. He makes me really mad, he is extremely stubborn & selfish and I cannot handle that at all. When we fight its always huge cause he always needs to be right. I never receive any token of appreciation for what I do for him either - ever! I know i dont love him, and its because of the 'stubborn/selfish' trait and when I try to leave him, I cant!? I am so petrified of being alone and everything else that comes after that. I know i am doing the wrong thing by wasting his time. I want to do the right thing, i really do. But i am so so scared. What do i do?

Jessie83 Terrified
  • replies: 6

I work with parents with mental illness, and what would they think if they knew I had one too!? I teach mindfulness, how come I can't teach it to myself? Not that anyone would know. I have the smile and calm voice down pat. I'm white knuckled, wide e... View more

I work with parents with mental illness, and what would they think if they knew I had one too!? I teach mindfulness, how come I can't teach it to myself? Not that anyone would know. I have the smile and calm voice down pat. I'm white knuckled, wide eyed, hyperventilating sort of terrified of most things these days. I can barely swallow a panadol without thinking I am near to death from an allergic reaction or brain tumour. How do you tell someone you are a hypochondriac, when it all feels so real? Positive test results lead to a few moments of peace until the next fear comes up. Or else I disappear above myself and turn glassy eyed, dizzy brained and vacant. Small spaces make me want to die. I braved a 6 hour plane ride and was pacing/crying both ways despite the hefty dose of anti-anxiety medication. I keep waiting for things to get better. How do I stop giving this fear to my future offspring? Even when I have my mind together I am still afraid. How do I avoid driving my lovely partner away? Official diagnosis of PTSD/panic disorder with agoraphobic tendancies. Probably sitting more on general anxiety these days. Feeling lost and so alone in my crazy little world.

iJUSTwantTObe Toilet nightmare
  • replies: 2

Does anybody find themselves avoiding situations due to experiencing diarrhoea , staying home incase it happens or if you can't find a toilet in time, if anybody else experiences this what are some of your coping mechanisms as I can't seem to find a ... View more

Does anybody find themselves avoiding situations due to experiencing diarrhoea , staying home incase it happens or if you can't find a toilet in time, if anybody else experiences this what are some of your coping mechanisms as I can't seem to find a cure no matter where I go which is hardly anywhere it always ends up happening

LostAshleigh When morals, lies and Anxiety collide. Help.

Hey whoeverz reading. I started having anxiety in highschool, although I never understood what it was til this year. I would worry and feel stressed alot but I didnt recognise it as anxiety because Ididnt know what it was. This year,its gotten to the... View more

Hey whoeverz reading. I started having anxiety in highschool, although I never understood what it was til this year. I would worry and feel stressed alot but I didnt recognise it as anxiety because Ididnt know what it was. This year,its gotten to the point where I traded my morals for guilt, regret and anxiety. I have family issues and Im not quite sure who iam anymore because I've went against my morals. I was pregnant andactually kind of excited and nervous but also my anxiety was getting pretty bad. I was suffering from an identity crises, stayed away from friends and fam in fear of not being good enough or being looked down on. my family always considered me as the kid who will get somewhere in life..career wise, i was considered smart to my parents when really I wasnt. I think I put a high expectation on myself. Which sucked cause theres always someone out there who has something negative to sayor think about you and I just want to be good enough. I feared I wouldnt be a good mother. I have no career/job, I drop out of anycourse I start over something small or in fear everyone is judging me or if im not as smart as others. It was agreed by my partner and I to have a termination. I told myself if I ever was to get pregant, to keep the child. I feel guilty. I question whether what I did was right or not. According to my counsellor I am experiencing 'grief' but am I? I always saw myself as the lady with a career until her 30's and then kids. because of having my life pictured and planned and having it go complete opposite and against my morals, makes me question if they even were my morals to begin with.. who I am... and what my morals are now. I keep lying to myself and pretending itnever happened only to feel a tear as I see people with cute babies. Its gotten to the point thatI dont want to get out of bed, i cant get to sleep in fear ill just dissapoint or be looked apon as a monster.

JMP 62 year old male who is confused, anxious and possibly depressed.

I dont kow why I feel this way but I feel as if I have to keep proving myself. I think I have been successful in my career and I have a wife and adult daughter but I feel extraordinarily alone. I think I try to please everyone but I know I dont. My w... View more

I dont kow why I feel this way but I feel as if I have to keep proving myself. I think I have been successful in my career and I have a wife and adult daughter but I feel extraordinarily alone. I think I try to please everyone but I know I dont. My wife says my issues stem from my childhood but my parents are dead and I dont feel I have to please them any more. I think I had as normal a childhood as most but maybe more fantasy then is really healthy. I am the eldest of three. Was I trying to attract my parents attention all the time and failed? I broke my right arm twice so that must have grabbed a bit of attention! I have never been good dealing with people and I know I wold try and hide but my job has, for the past 25 years, put me in front of people as a CEO. I have felt the pressure of 'performing' but not really being myself. I want to retire in a few years time but am anxious that I will be more alone than I feel now. I have recently taken up golf and rekindled my interest in watercolour painting. I sometimes wish I was dead but I dont want to kill myself. Can anyone help me as I cant talk to anyone about this.

arise I could have done anything with my life... now I feel like I can do nothing at all.
  • replies: 4

I always felt like I had to be the best at everything... If it wasn't the best, it was a waste of time. I had no idea how much pressure I was placing on myself to be good at things without trying. Until later...On my third year of uni,my life slowly ... View more

I always felt like I had to be the best at everything... If it wasn't the best, it was a waste of time. I had no idea how much pressure I was placing on myself to be good at things without trying. Until later...On my third year of uni,my life slowly started to fall apart. Something inside me snapped...I was not the best. I was not worth anything. The pressure I put on myself not allowing myself to be a beginner at anything had lead to me no longer try anything. I am 25, have no job, a uni degree that I can never work in because the thought of it makes me incredibly anxious, and I still live at home. I feel I can no longer try anything out of the desperate fear I will fail at whatever I do and not be able to handle it. I came from being a grade A student with a flair for creativity to someone who is scared to ask for a job at my local bakery out of fear I won't pick it up fast enough. I can't ask for what I want because I convince myself it is impossible to obtain. It gets so bad that when I am doing something where any kind of pressure is on, my mind completely blanks out, as if on purpose making me unable to perform the simplest task. I scramble for words, as my heart pounds. Please don't embarrass yourself. Please brain, just work. I have convinced myself that my brain no longer works, that the person I was has been lost. I don't know what happened to me, but my mind has become my worst enemy and it is ruining my life. I want to be free of this negativity, this belief that I am worthless and have nothing to offer anymore. Has anyone felt like this before? Been completely consumed by the belief you can't so something and the fear that comes if you think about trying? I would like to hear someone elses story... to know I'm not alone.

anxiousguy Introducing Myself
  • replies: 4

Hello everybody. This is my first post and I thought I would tell you about my problems with anxiety and how it is impacting my life. I am 30 years of age and now know that I am suffering chronically from anxiety; constantly worrying about everything... View more

Hello everybody. This is my first post and I thought I would tell you about my problems with anxiety and how it is impacting my life. I am 30 years of age and now know that I am suffering chronically from anxiety; constantly worrying about everything no matter how small the matter. I first sought help for anxiety back at the start of 2010. Did some cognitive behaviour therapy which I found to be quite useless. So I finished up with my psychologist but anxiety has gotten worse since 2010. I currently work 12 hours a week in a very menial job that doesn't test my anxiety and is good for my health but I want to better myself and look at a career/skills training for a better financial future however I have deteriorated to the point where I believe I cannot do anything other than my basic/menial job. I suffer from fear as part of anxiety and at the point now that I cant even walk into a bar and ask for a job of fear I cant do the job and that it will all end quickly. 10 years ago at 20 I was nothing like this. I believed I could do anything, that I could conquer the world. I gained qualifications and had 3 good fulltime jobs but these came to an end. How things have changed. I now spend my life in fear, with worrying thoughts and I am now having images of my own funeral and me being in peace. I just don't see the point in life overall however I do enjoy the finer things in life which keeps me going in the meantime. I am contemplating trying to get on a disability support pension and leaving my job to pay for psychological sessions with other treatments rather than cbt but know this can only help so much. I am just not too well, fidgeting, restless, tired, thoughts running through my mind too often and also angry I have ended up in this position(not my fault though). In the meantime I will just keep doing the best I can meditating/exercising/eating properly and trying to enjoy the finer things in life. I am looking forward to contributing to the forum as much as possible and I know from reading certain posts I can relate well to other peoples problems. Have a good day everybody.

Jo3 Feeling empty and anxious
  • replies: 2

I am feeling a bit empty and anxious, actually sick in the pit of my stomach. I had a week off on the Gold Coast with my husband which was really nice. But now I'm home (another week off work) and I am feeling empty, depressed and anxious. I don't un... View more

I am feeling a bit empty and anxious, actually sick in the pit of my stomach. I had a week off on the Gold Coast with my husband which was really nice. But now I'm home (another week off work) and I am feeling empty, depressed and anxious. I don't understand why I'm feeling like this; I'm feeling panicky going back to work next week. I know I can't be "on holidays" forever. I just feel like I want to be somewhere else; it's a weird feeling (can't really explain). I didn't feel like this while away; it's only been today that I feel like this. It's like I can't handle all the day to day stuff - house, kids, dinners, house cleaning, bills, etc. I just don't want to know about any of it. I don't know, I'm not making sense - I wish i was away forever. Jo