Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

hhalp feeling alone
  • replies: 1

hi there, i am currently a uni student, having finished year 12 last year, i think it was the trigger to my anxiety. All my life I have had a great group of friends whom i could tell everything to and trust. In the stress of year 12 i noticed myself ... View more

hi there, i am currently a uni student, having finished year 12 last year, i think it was the trigger to my anxiety. All my life I have had a great group of friends whom i could tell everything to and trust. In the stress of year 12 i noticed myself finding it increasingly difficult to talk to teachers and soon friends. I would get nervous and flustered asking questions, going red and stuttering. After year 12 things were a bit better, seeing friends and having a blast. Now university has started and none of my friends are at the same uni as me. I feel left out and have lost my close friends. I am still a part of the group of friends from school but i am so distanced from them, and a lot of the time left out of small fun things they do. I spend a lot of time in bed sitting on the internet because i feel safe in my own environment. But it only makes me more depressed at the thought of wasting my life away. I am okay in groups but I make life so awkward when it is just me and 1 other friend and my nervousness makes me appear rude and like i dont like the person im talking to. I am also at the age where people go out and drink and I use it as a mask so i can actually talk to my friends and appear more confident and fun than i am. But i hate it and it is no long-term fix. I also get nervous at family events, i cant hold a conversation with my aunty or uncle because i get so nervous for no reason. I get so jealous of my older brother and sister having such a stable group of friends, having them over all the time, seeing them and feeling like i could never just have friends over. This has spiralled into a slight depression and i usually feel like crap after most social events ie. family parties, friends birthdays, catchups etc. I also get random bursts of depression when i think about how im losing all those people around me and i cry a lot. The worst part is nobody knows because im too scared to have a normal conversation with anyone let alone talk about something so personal. I have been trying really hard by taking baby steps to build up confidence and social skills. I really hate when there is a lot of attention on me and one BIG thing was my birthday. I made a HUGE step in having a party which i havent done in years because i dont handle having friends over very well. I invited about 30 people and literally i had the worst time of my life but nobody knows. I was really nervous that it would be awkward and it wouldn't be fun and i feel like it lived up to those expectations. When people came over i just couldn't make conversation i kind of just standed there like a weirdo at my OWN party. I felt really bad because my parents made such an effort in helping me set up and when they asked if i enjoyed myself i told everyone i had a great night even though i cried after everyone had left. I felt so undeserving of all my presents. I have screwed things up with a guy i liked because I am too scared to go out with my friends let alone him. I always declined invites from him because despite wanting to go i felt it would be too awkward. I have pushed all the people i want in my life away because i simply can't socialize and express myself naturally. I want so desperately to simply be able to go out with a friend for a 'coffee' but i am too socially awkward. Along with this social phobia I am so confused about my life and what i want to do. My course is not very stable and is artsy so its one of those careers you have to put yourself out there and try and make it big and i feel like i will never have enough confidence to get to where i want to be despite loving the subject. I cant live like this anymore, i want to break free of all insecurities and make an impact on the world but my mind is holding me back. There is so much i want to do and say but i JUST CANT . This probably doesn't make sense but truly, my life doesnt make sense right now either! Any help would be much appreciated thanks.

maryloo help

i have suffered depression and anxiety for many years have tried many medications A and B they work for a while but then stop for some reason i hit a all time low 4 weeks ago at work and felt like i was loosing my mind my GP was away at the time and ... View more

i have suffered depression and anxiety for many years have tried many medications A and B they work for a while but then stop for some reason i hit a all time low 4 weeks ago at work and felt like i was loosing my mind my GP was away at the time and went to one who was taking her place he told me to go home and rest i couldnt stop crying and had felt let down i found a new gp who i now go to and he put me on C as well as the B that didnt work and i ended up going further down my GP set me up a video link with a psychiatrist as there is none where i live who then changed me back to A and D still no result she now has put me on D and E but i have had to come of the A. i dont know how much more i can take i just want a normal life i start on the E tomorrow morning i sure hope it works as i dont think i can go through another change i only sleep for approx 3 hours at night even though the D is a strong sleeper and i take 4 x 25mg each night it is like i am on a continous high . i have tried everything from excerise to music ,going for walks ,yoga happy to hear from anyone with any ideas i am getting desperate..

The_Real_David_Charles Does anxiety attract other forms of anxiety ? Is it contagious ?
  • replies: 2

You don't have to seek being anxious. It just appears. Is this because anxiety attracts other forms of anxiety ? Or are anxious people more aware of other anxious triggers ? Kind of like one of those comical movies "Stop the world I want to get off".... View more

You don't have to seek being anxious. It just appears. Is this because anxiety attracts other forms of anxiety ? Or are anxious people more aware of other anxious triggers ? Kind of like one of those comical movies "Stop the world I want to get off". Recently I've nearly been almost run over walking my dog whilst crossing lights legally, been abused by another dog owner for keeping his animal safe from severe mistreatment, lost it with the Post Office for not photocopying my Birth Certificate when applying for a Passport (which led to multiple delays), shouted at a dental assistant for arranging dental work for me through my wife and not confirming my appointment with me but trying to invoice me for not turning up (even though I had no idea about the appt), cursed my demanding mother in law for wanting me to drop everything and come over to shift a fridge when I was halfway through composing a big band chart for work that night and even had a 4 month ongoing battle with Medicare because they seem unable to renew my card and sometimes send the right card to the wrong address (and old place). Or am I just a cranky bastard having recently turned 50 ? Actually reading this thread back, maybe I'm quite normal. Adios, David. PS I heard that, mods. Lol.

Blackecho Need some information.............
  • replies: 10

I was diagnosed over two years ago with anxiety/post traumatic stress after a close call with death. I had a few panic attacks but with the help of a great GP nipped it in the bud pretty quickly with some anti depressants/psychologist. I was able to ... View more

I was diagnosed over two years ago with anxiety/post traumatic stress after a close call with death. I had a few panic attacks but with the help of a great GP nipped it in the bud pretty quickly with some anti depressants/psychologist. I was able to get off the antis and coped pretty well but have developed a fear of ageing or more so become incapacated in some way. Anyways about a year ago I started feeling faint/weak/dizzy/off balance feelings on and off but became nearly 24/7 feeling like I had just come off a merry go round. I was tested for BVVP ..ear stuff but this all seemed ok although I did get tinnitus Was also tested for heart stuff and all good too. I was actually told this is all caused by anxiety. I managed to beat it again but seems in the last few months to have come back. I don't have any heart pounding....tight chest etc.....I also have been told I have the fight/flight response. Do these sound like symptoms of anxiety?

thaolam Homesick at home?
  • replies: 3

Really often in the week, I get these chest stricken feeling that I need to get home or I desperately need to be home. The thing is that I get these feelings when I AM at home. Sometimes I get it so strongly, that I get teary, stumble around and find... View more

Really often in the week, I get these chest stricken feeling that I need to get home or I desperately need to be home. The thing is that I get these feelings when I AM at home. Sometimes I get it so strongly, that I get teary, stumble around and find it hard to breathe. Thoughts that 'I'm getting this feeling because something bad's going to happen' pass through my mind. I never get homesick when I am overseas or anything, so it's really weird. When I get it in the mornings, I feel so shitty for the rest of the day. My problems become more worrying to me and I can't concentrate on anything. I've tried googling this, and many people say its a panic attack, or an anxiety attack, or possibly a heartburn? I really don't want to go to a GP or anything, because I don't want to make this a big deal for family and friends. I have school and work as well.. I don't know what to do

Shannon1 Confused

I am anxious about so much, my work, my relation with my partner (even though we're fine, great actually) how much I want to change my mother because she is where all this anxiety has built up from. 21 years of total anxiety. But now that anxiety has... View more

I am anxious about so much, my work, my relation with my partner (even though we're fine, great actually) how much I want to change my mother because she is where all this anxiety has built up from. 21 years of total anxiety. But now that anxiety has turned to me just getting angry, I'm furious about stupid things these days. For example, when I'm eating and the cat reaches its paw close to my food, I flip out, screaming and get so desperate to kill the cat. All because he put his paw near my food. It's cant be normal. I don't know what going on, I'm so confused. I feel angry all the time and anxious that everything will fall to pieces if I don't have control. what do you think?

Jenjen86 Need to be positive help!
  • replies: 4

I'm recently going thru a stressful time medically. I've had to have surgery. And of course it takes time to heal! My anxiety and depression has gone. Thru the roof ! I'm stressing and freaking out I have stressful thoughtsvthat it won't heal althoug... View more

I'm recently going thru a stressful time medically. I've had to have surgery. And of course it takes time to heal! My anxiety and depression has gone. Thru the roof ! I'm stressing and freaking out I have stressful thoughtsvthat it won't heal although my doctors have reassured me that the tissue will take time! But I'm suffering from all this anxiety I'm having trouble trying to control it I just dnt know what to do where to turn to help me thru this' on top of ll this my bf has decided he needs a break and isn't hear to support me! How so I stop my mind from all these negative thoughts? I've ha depression for 8 years or so on and off

ImScared1 Anxiety is taking over my life
  • replies: 4

I'm 16 years old and I'm scared. Of what, I have no idea. The anxiety started in around October last year. The panic attacks and depression came later. I don't know what started it, the whole thing was sudden. I remember waking up one morning and fee... View more

I'm 16 years old and I'm scared. Of what, I have no idea. The anxiety started in around October last year. The panic attacks and depression came later. I don't know what started it, the whole thing was sudden. I remember waking up one morning and feeling like I could barely breathe. I honestly thought I was having a heart attack and that I was dying. This didn't stop for another two weeks and during that time I think I made around 4 or 5 trips to the doctor and I went home from school early twice. I was so scared, especially since I'd heard that a 15 year old boy had died from a random breathing problem just a week before. The next two week period was better but I still had trouble breathing. The symptoms of barely being able to breathe came back for another two week after that. Ever since then, I've had a constant 'heavy' feeling in my chest. I started getting panic attacks in around February this year, and that's also when I started becoming depressed, mainly about school. I hate feeling depressed, I know there are so many other people out there that have nothing and yet they still smile, but I can't help it. A few of my teachers started to notice me getting distressed in class (when I'd have panic attacks) and told me to go see the councilor but I only get to see her once every 2 or 3 weeks because there's other girls that need to see her and she's only in on Mondays. Because my stress levels rise as it gets later at night, I find it really difficult to do my homework. I'm starting to fall behind in my VCE and I wish I could just leave, I hate it. If anything, I just want to be home schooled so I can get away from the people that go to my school. I feel invisible there and like I'm worthless. I just want my old life back. I used to be so carefree and now I feel like I'm trapped in my own body. Sorry, I know I write a lot but I really just needed to get this out.

cubicalpanic Are personal space issues part of anxiety?

I have always had personal space issues, even with my partner and daughter. I tend to get panicky if someone is in close or holds me and won't let go straight away....I don't go out of my way to touch people affectionately, unless I have had a few dr... View more

I have always had personal space issues, even with my partner and daughter. I tend to get panicky if someone is in close or holds me and won't let go straight away....I don't go out of my way to touch people affectionately, unless I have had a few drinks. I worry about my daughter all the time and worry about who my partner talks to...insecurity at its best!

1963 Puzzling timing of anxiety symptoms

At Easter, I finally came off an antidepressant after a number of years treatment of depression. I have a history of anxiety & depression. Felt fine for over 2 months [I'd been reducing my dose from 3 mths previous to stopping], then, in late July , ... View more

At Easter, I finally came off an antidepressant after a number of years treatment of depression. I have a history of anxiety & depression. Felt fine for over 2 months [I'd been reducing my dose from 3 mths previous to stopping], then, in late July , 2 weeks of a few abnormal stresses & I feel like I've crashed. My symptoms are much more from Anxiety than depression, but what absolutely puzzles me is how I wake up with anxiety symptoms, struggle through the morning, but by early/mid afternoon they DISAPPEAR completely?!?!? Overnight, when waking up in the middle of the night and from 6/7am to about 2/3pm daily, the tiniest thought will set off horrible anxiety for me. I also have the general buzz of anxiety going on constantly during this time too. After that time,eg; from 3 -11/12 pm I'm fine; I couldnt trigger any anxiety then if I tried. I know some people will read this & think, 'wow, I wish I could guarantee an anxiety-free part of the day for me.' I have been there before myself, but my nights & mornings are hell at the moment. Does anyone else suffer anxiety in this way/ or know [any links?] what the best way is to treat this type of anxiety?