Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

Eleyne I don't know what to do anymore
  • replies: 1

Hi, I'm 18 years old and have been suffering from depression and anxiety for the past couple of years. Only two weeks ago I was diagnosed with mild OCD and bipolar. These are affecting my life to a huge degree and I just don't know how to cope. There... View more

Hi, I'm 18 years old and have been suffering from depression and anxiety for the past couple of years. Only two weeks ago I was diagnosed with mild OCD and bipolar. These are affecting my life to a huge degree and I just don't know how to cope. There have been so many times when I have just wanted to commit suicide but for some reason I never do. Last night I was talking to my boyfriend and I was happy. Not 2 minutes later I was basically crying because I thought I was a worthless piece of crap and a waste of life. These mood changes happen probably 5-10 times a day and I can't stand it anymore. Why can't the pain and the voices go away? Why me?

Louie Not sure how to begin

Have only just registered here on Beyondblue. I have a son with high functioning Autism & adhd, Life for him is tough at the best of times, As a parent you only want the best for your children. But what happens when your best is not enough? when ever... View more

Have only just registered here on Beyondblue. I have a son with high functioning Autism & adhd, Life for him is tough at the best of times, As a parent you only want the best for your children. But what happens when your best is not enough? when everything you try to do fails? It is difficult to stay positive and keep up with expectations of school and friendships. I don't sleep well. I am anxious almost always. Worrying what people think of us when you are out and about and your child is acting up and everyone staring and judging you. Parents not encouraging relationships with your child, and avoiding you because you don't fit in. Obviously I need change in my life, I want things to be better, I am hoping joining this website is the start of a new beginning of getting my life back and gaining new perspective for brighter days

Kandipants Admitting I have anxiety is depressing
  • replies: 3

This is the second time I have tried to write this, as my husband came into the room the first time and I quickly shut down the page as I felt embarrassed to admit there's a problem. I know in myself that I experience anxiety all the time with consta... View more

This is the second time I have tried to write this, as my husband came into the room the first time and I quickly shut down the page as I felt embarrassed to admit there's a problem. I know in myself that I experience anxiety all the time with constant fear of failure, worry of embarrassment for no good reason. But am finding it hard to admit because it again feels like I can't even get it right! Seriously! I feel as if I tell people that I have trouble controlling my own head, nobody would take anything I say or do seriously. Even now, as I write, I worry that I am not making sense and that I am putting myself out the to be judged. i feel crazy sometimes, in that I know I have an anxiety problem but don't want to address it for fear of... Outcome. I have feelings of fear and worthlessness at the idea of having anxiety, I think maybe because of societies views on mental illness, I don't want to be seen as 'mentally ill' . The idea of depression is depressing! how do other people go, first in admitting to yourself that there is a problem, but then to others? I know I should see my gp, but I don't even know what to say to him about it, then if I do go, then I have to tell my husband why, it feels easier just to keep pretending I'm not affected. Does anyone else have these crazy confused ideologies too?

Chloe123 Unsure of what to do.
  • replies: 2

Recently I have felt as though I am not in control of anything in my life. I have recently finished uni and I have to make some big decisions, such as finding a new job, where will I live etc and I am feeling alot of pressure from everyone.. I am not... View more

Recently I have felt as though I am not in control of anything in my life. I have recently finished uni and I have to make some big decisions, such as finding a new job, where will I live etc and I am feeling alot of pressure from everyone.. I am not sleeping and I continually am feeling anxious and my immune system is down meaning I am also getting sick alot. On top of this I am always tired, and I am starting to become obsessive with an ex who keeps coming in and out of my life who sometimes treats me perfectly and then other times treats me horribly. I don't know what to do and I don't have a regular GP or anyone that I can really talk to about this. I also don't want to go on medication but I just want to stop feeling continually anxious all the time.

Harriette What should I do?

I have trust issues and I am nervous around people due to my friends bulling me for being a little bit quirky at my old school last year and it still haunts me. I cry when I'm meant to be sleeping some I'm having trouble coping. I went to a therapist... View more

I have trust issues and I am nervous around people due to my friends bulling me for being a little bit quirky at my old school last year and it still haunts me. I cry when I'm meant to be sleeping some I'm having trouble coping. I went to a therapist a few times but my Mum thought I was fixed so she stopped taking me. I would really like to go back or do something to help me but I'm really scared to ask my Mum. She's really nice and would never hurt me, I'm just scared. Should I ask her or should I find some other way to feel better?

Darkatoms Anxiety in a box

It is a strange thing anxiety. It's like living in a box. Inside the box you are trapped with your thoroughly and they make your body do strange, unerring things. It's as if your the only one there. People around you just don't see any of it. The box... View more

It is a strange thing anxiety. It's like living in a box. Inside the box you are trapped with your thoroughly and they make your body do strange, unerring things. It's as if your the only one there. People around you just don't see any of it. The box is dark but you can still do everything you need to. But it's just not nice and the outlook looks grim. Outside the box is a different. Non of this can be seen. You about your day and every one sees a hard working confident person. Some how the box has magic and every makes you look good. I've had anxiety in for a few years now. And this is my take on it. It really gets to me but it is hard to find help you need. Like I should have been a sleep 3hr a go. But sleeping tablets don't work.

Emmy. Panic attacks - how to cope

Hi, I've recently started having panic attacks and always try to have an "escape plan" if I'm going somewhere new and try to divert my attention if I feel like I'm going to start having a panic attack. My pschologist says this is the wrong thing to d... View more

Hi, I've recently started having panic attacks and always try to have an "escape plan" if I'm going somewhere new and try to divert my attention if I feel like I'm going to start having a panic attack. My pschologist says this is the wrong thing to do. What does everyone else do when they feel an attack coming on?

lissyloo Severe anxiety

I saw my psychologist for the first time the other day and walked in feeling good and walked out feeling good. I'm looking forward to recovery. I did a quick survey and I have severe anxiety and moderate depression. I have a lot of physical symptoms.... View more

I saw my psychologist for the first time the other day and walked in feeling good and walked out feeling good. I'm looking forward to recovery. I did a quick survey and I have severe anxiety and moderate depression. I have a lot of physical symptoms. How will these physical symptoms go away? I feel like shit a lot and im over it. Does medication help reduce these symptoms? I have at least 20 different symptoms going on and maybe half are physical.

Zaffre Could I have an Anxiety Disorder? Please help.

Lately, I have been getting a weird feeling in my chest area that feels like a pronounced heart beat over the past week. It has been somewhat frequent, occurring about every 5-15 minutes. My parents think it's a muscle spasm but it feels more like it... View more

Lately, I have been getting a weird feeling in my chest area that feels like a pronounced heart beat over the past week. It has been somewhat frequent, occurring about every 5-15 minutes. My parents think it's a muscle spasm but it feels more like it's coming from my heart, like I'm having an extra heart beat or am skipping one. I also get dizzy often, nausea and tight muscles, as well as hold/cold hands and feet, and I sometimes receive tingling sensations in my hands and feet too. I am also a persistent worrier who gets frightened extremely easily. Some of my friends are saying it could be an anxiety disorder, but they don't know enough to be able to say for sure. One of my friends also believes I could have social anxiety because of how I act in social situations. I've always had very poor self-esteem, found it extremely difficult and stressful to talk in front of the class and even suggest ideas to a small group of friends. I never feel comfortable in any environment. My mind can be very fuzzy and I can't concentrate as easily as I used to be able to. Sometimes I can't keep still and other times I feel like I can't do anything but sit still. I don't have trouble being out of the house, but I do worry about the people around me. I get very stressed if I go to the city or a crowded place because of all the people there. When I am there, I can't stop thinking about strangers coming up and talking to me and it makes me ridiculously anxious. I want to ask my mum about seeing someone to see if I can get any treatment for this or even if it's something, anything at all but I feel guilty about going to the doctors because I feel like I don't have big and important enough problems that deserve any help. My whole family is a very "get over it" kind of family and I'm afraid that if it is nothing at all that I'll just look stupid and mum won't like that I wasted her time. I'm a 15 year old female as well, if that means anything. So could I have an anxiety disorder? Does it sound like something else maybe? Anything anyone has to say would be greatly appreciated. Even the slightest idea would mean everything to me. I just want some answers.

Natalie373 overwhelmed
  • replies: 4

In December 2012 I made a decision to go and talk to my GP about the way I had been feeling for about a year. I would get very worked up over very small things and find it difficult to calm down. Most of the time I couldn't explain to myself or anyon... View more

In December 2012 I made a decision to go and talk to my GP about the way I had been feeling for about a year. I would get very worked up over very small things and find it difficult to calm down. Most of the time I couldn't explain to myself or anyone else what i was really upset about which put a lot of pressure on my family and my partner. My GP put me on medication that was supposed to help me feel better and referred me to a psychologist who could assess what was going on and provide me with coping strategies. The psychologist was fantastic, she made me feel like my anxiety wasn't stupid or unnecessary and she asked all the right questions to help me explain what was happening in my head. Its hard even now for me to explain exactly what it is I worry about. But basically, I do not get the opportunity to enjoy life very often, because I automatically think of everything that can go wrong in a situation rather than all the positive things about what im doing. For example, I recently spent a lot of money on a holiday to new zealand to visit a good friend of mine. I spent 12 days in Christchurch and then went on to Auckland for a weekend and then intended to spend nights in sydney before returning home. However, after one day in Auckland I started to feel overwhelmed, homesick, panicy and stressed out. I spent a whole afternoon very upset and then spent the next day just wishing to be in Sydney. I hoped that I would feel better being back in Aus. But this didnt happen. By this stage i just wanted to come home and I got myself into such a panic that I changed my flight and flew home after one day. I was worried about walking at night, and getting lost, and running out of money, and something happening back home and so many other things. I am disgusted in my self for letting my worrying ruin my trip. I have spoken to my psychologist since and I feel somewhat better about it, but I still constantly worry about the possibilities of things going wrong. I just wanted to post this and share some of my feelings, I hope that someone can relate to how I am feeling because I feel very confused about everything, I dont trust my decisions and i dont feel like anyone in my life really understands.