Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

Bulletin_Board_Archive Ocd:lack of self care/hygeine:It has a name
  • replies: 10

Originally posted by: Chris on 3 March 2013I discovered this over the weekend that the version of ocd thats been affecting me actually has a name.Its called: Functional Impairment.It just means your ability to take of your everyday groooming and hygi... View more

Originally posted by: Chris on 3 March 2013I discovered this over the weekend that the version of ocd thats been affecting me actually has a name.Its called: Functional Impairment.It just means your ability to take of your everyday groooming and hygiene needs are getting done.The ocd has prevented you from doing anything that you after you get out of bed to the moment you leave your home.Anything and everything can be affected.Trimming your hair,trimming your finger nails and toenails,shaving,brushing your teeth,showering,etc. I'm trying to find other who have this problem so I can offer them support. Chris.

sarahl All you need is love
  • replies: 2

Hi everyone, I have suffered from anxiety on and off since my teenage years but have always seen someone for it and have never been on medication. I am a perfectionist and over the past years, my various stresses in my work life have often sent me in... View more

Hi everyone, I have suffered from anxiety on and off since my teenage years but have always seen someone for it and have never been on medication. I am a perfectionist and over the past years, my various stresses in my work life have often sent me into short bursts of anxiety. However I met someone about 18 months ago, we immediately hit if off and he was an amazing support to me in the early days while I dealt with work stresses. We have an amazing relationship, have lived together for 12 months and are planning a future together, including children. 2 months ago he told me he had a dream of moving to the country (we currently live in the city and I love it here). I have tried to be supportive of this, and over the past two months have tried to engage in his enthusiasm, however last week I totally broke down and couldn't even talk about it without crying. The process of making this dream a reality has gone from a seed of an idea to talking to mortgage brokers and I feel like its all moving way too fast. We are also moving house in the next few weeks, and as I work for myself, I don't have a schedule and stability in my day to day which is making it that much harder to deal with. On top of this, my overactive thinking is now wondering whether I love him at all (while he is at work during the day) and I tear my hair out trying to work this out, until he comes home and we spend the evenings and weekends together and I'm fine. He really is the most wonderful man who loves me very very much and he is being so supportive while I deal with this anxiety but the whole country dream continues to loom and every time he brings it up, I can't help but wonder if it is what I really want and I can make it work with more time to get used to it. The thought that I don't love him makes me even more anxious. Am I just in a rut of anxiety where my own brain is my own worst enemy? Has anyone else questioned their own feelings while experiencing a bout of anxiety? Thanks SL

Emily712 This is my first step. Help?

Hi whoever see's this. So, I've never really done anything like this before. I've been struggling with this for a while now, but not really sure how to talk to people about it. I am 20 years old, currently studying to be a youth worker. When I was 16... View more

Hi whoever see's this. So, I've never really done anything like this before. I've been struggling with this for a while now, but not really sure how to talk to people about it. I am 20 years old, currently studying to be a youth worker. When I was 16 and 17, I smoked alot of Marijuana, which, when I went cold turkey and quit, I had a first stage psychotic episode. After I was treated and came back to reality, I spoke with a counsellor for about 4 sessions and on the final one she told me I was back to normal and fine again. I was taken off the medication I was on and I have not encountered any symptoms directing to a Psychotic Episode again. However, since then I think I have struggled with anxiety. I'm scared to go back to a counsellor about mental health issues, because last time was such a crazy experience, I just don't want to be in that catogory again but I want help. It effects me in my studies, I've been making class presentations and doing role plays in front of our small lecture group and I get hot and cold flushes before standing up to talk, I get sweaty and can sometimes hear my heart beat. I hate it. This also happens at the strangest of times in public (check out registers, meetings, bumping into old friends). Also, I have become a very angry person at home with my parents. They will say something to me and it triggers off my anger and I snap, cry and go over the top yelling and my heart starts pounding and I can feel my body shaking and I get extremely anxious amidst my anger. I hate the person I am becoming. I'm also engaged to be married in December this year, the stresses of planning that, studying plus running my own business are all getting the better of me. My relationship with my family is crap and I don't feel like I can talk to them about this without them catagorizing me as being psychotic; Mum actually said something related to that the other day and I got very upset about it. Any advice or response would be great, I feel so down about it all. Thanks, Emily.

Adman New to site.Need some advice
  • replies: 3

Hi all im new here and seeking advice i have been diagnosed with anxiety for about 8 years and been on meds ever since.I have been having problems sticking to a goal like consistent exercise and have been putting on weight for years.I was a good trai... View more

Hi all im new here and seeking advice i have been diagnosed with anxiety for about 8 years and been on meds ever since.I have been having problems sticking to a goal like consistent exercise and have been putting on weight for years.I was a good trainer and was very athletic prior to 1. glandular fever 2. chronic fatigue 3. Depression then 4. anxiety,i still seem to be a good trainer but i cant seem to stick to it.If i look back over a few years i have started many types of exercise programs and clubs and always start strong but just seem to slowly back out.This alone makes me anxious.Is this just me or is this common with people with anxiety. I also have a job that is quite stressful and find when the pressure is on i become withdrawn very tired and loose interest in most things, hopefully someone on here can help.

Bulletin_Board_Archive Ocd:it prevented me from doing things.Here's my story.
  • replies: 10

Originally posted by: Chris on 31 January 2013I've had ocd for several years.I've also got chronic fatigue syndrome (cfs) that keeps me at home and I'm agoraphobic.I'm being treated for all my health problems by an alternative health practitioner.I'm... View more

Originally posted by: Chris on 31 January 2013I've had ocd for several years.I've also got chronic fatigue syndrome (cfs) that keeps me at home and I'm agoraphobic.I'm being treated for all my health problems by an alternative health practitioner.I'm almost cured of ocd but I'm bored and lonely. Here's how ocd was affecting me: unable to change into clean/ or new clothes. unable to move things around my home unable to remove recyclables and rubbish from my home.. unable to prepare food/cook food and eat food when I'm on my own. unable to clean out my fridge/freezer of all foods that have been there since ocd started. unable to shave my beard(I forgot to mention I'm a guy),trim my finger nails,trim my toenails,trim my hair (usual grooming") unable to wash my clothes,linen,etc. Thats the worst of ocd.(Now you know why I'm here.) The good news is,the cfs has eased off a little,the ocd is almost gone and I feel better in my mind than I have for years.My overall wellbeing is very good considering I'm bored and lonely.I can do almost all of the things that ocd stopped me doing. Even though I've posted here a few times before I still havent found new friends. I'd really like some suggestions. Thanks . Chris.

Tranquil Anxiety - Panic Attacks : Is this condition curable
  • replies: 3

Hi my name is Heather and I am new to the site. I have suffered with anxiety and had a number of Panic attacks during the past seven years - and prior to Fridays attack, it was a year and a half ago since my last attack, and I thought I was doing so ... View more

Hi my name is Heather and I am new to the site. I have suffered with anxiety and had a number of Panic attacks during the past seven years - and prior to Fridays attack, it was a year and a half ago since my last attack, and I thought I was doing so well. I managed to control this recent attack but today I am feeling severe weakness and experiencing strong chest pain and jitters... I really hate this. It has affected my life... my marriage - it has controlled me... I am claustrophobic, afraid of lifts and at the moment planes etc etc. Over the years I have attended a mindfulness course and counselling which has supported me and has taught me how my mind works and how to deal, how to meditate and how to recover. I am so happy to find this site - thank you Beyondblue - I am not alone. I am desperately seeking a way to overcome these attacks and to live a normal life again. I really look forward to sharing experiences and achievements. Heather

Sayo22 Constant struggle with OCD and Depression

Everyday I have a struggle with my OCD, I have for many years and like alI have my really good days and other days I hit rock bottom again (also with my depression). another this I struggle with each and everyday is trying to explain whats going on t... View more

Everyday I have a struggle with my OCD, I have for many years and like alI have my really good days and other days I hit rock bottom again (also with my depression). another this I struggle with each and everyday is trying to explain whats going on to my family and friends. It hurts that they think I can just flick a switch and stop my thoughts and the actions I perform. I am getting better at times and have had times where I do think wait stop you don't need to do that and I cut down slightly at that time, other days its worse. Has anyone else struggled with trying to get family and friends to understand?? I feel really alone when this happens and that's the last thing I need at the point in time. It generally makes me more depressed, in-turn making my anxiety rise and then my obsessive thoughts and actions rise as well....

ninja New to site

Hi, Well I would like to first off thank Beyondblue and their new campaign with Dr Ironwood's Man Therapy as it has made me aware that I need to look at getting some help and has made me feel like I am not alone. I am male and 29 years old and from w... View more

Hi, Well I would like to first off thank Beyondblue and their new campaign with Dr Ironwood's Man Therapy as it has made me aware that I need to look at getting some help and has made me feel like I am not alone. I am male and 29 years old and from what I can remember since I have been 18 maybe younger I have had the symptoms of Anxiety. When I read the information about the different types of Anxiety the social phobia really stood out and describes the way I have been for years. It has really affected my relationships with friends, family and with work also to the point that I am on always on my own. I basically have no social life and I find it hard to start conversations because I know the symptoms will start as soon as enter a social situation. Every day I show the signs or symptoms of anxiety, any social interaction I have it could be something as simple as someone asking me a question or starting a conversation I get nervous, blush and try to avoid the situation or conversation. Even tho I want to talk to these people I have no control over it and end up trying to hide until it passes. The main symptom I experience is blushing and feeling nervous when talking to people. ‘They may fear being criticised, embarrassed or humiliated, even in the most ordinary, everyday situations’ this describes what I feel probably most days. I have kind of grown to feel I was a problem and it was just something wrong with me so it is good to see I am not alone and can start looking into it further. Suppose you could say I am a typical man with this type of issue and have just hid behind it, but I know I need to do something about it and get help. Would like some advice on where to start, how did you approached a professional or GP about it. I just don’t know how to express it to somebody else as I've always thought it was a problem with me.

Gt Confused
  • replies: 5

Hi, lately i have been having trouble sleeping, nervous, anxious, i have had chest pain, and heart beat that feels like someone just hit me from inside out for days. Previously as person, i've always been calm, in control, and fairly cheerful. Though... View more

Hi, lately i have been having trouble sleeping, nervous, anxious, i have had chest pain, and heart beat that feels like someone just hit me from inside out for days. Previously as person, i've always been calm, in control, and fairly cheerful. Though lately i have been nothing like that, i feel confused, out of control, out of reach and just in general in panic. I am not depressed or down, i still exercise as i do, but and carry on with work as i do, but i find it hard to concentrate, to focus and i find everything irritating. I ready about the symptoms in the facts log..but is this really anxiety? As im writting this, i feel nervous, i feel like my mind is skipping from one word to another.. I am seeing a doctor tomorrow, but i'd like an input or hear about what other thinks also if this is infact normal?

a_long_time_lost Irrationality... :(
  • replies: 7

It is 2 am and I am sitting here with my mind racing and ridiculous levels of anxiety ... What would normally be a non controversial topic for most normal people has sent my husband, son and I into a total state of chaos and frustration tonight. My h... View more

It is 2 am and I am sitting here with my mind racing and ridiculous levels of anxiety ... What would normally be a non controversial topic for most normal people has sent my husband, son and I into a total state of chaos and frustration tonight. My husband made some off the cuff remarks and I tried to explain to my son how I felt. Now my son is a trained negotiator within his field of work and is a very good one at that. My husband is to the point as I have mentioned in previous posts finding it hard to cope with me anymore, so of course my son talked me through every possibility of the topic we were discussing. He too finds the situation difficult and told me he is totally unable to understand how I feel but can relate to what I am saying and he in turn makes a lot of sense so I listen to him and try to create the picture of what is happening to me inside. Tonight irrational thoughts in my head have run rampant.. I always have this terrible core feeling of dread, which then leads to panic and all of a sudden I have lost control and once this occurs I am unable to cope. I become unreasonable, irrational and basically just wish I could run away. I hate this place... I hate feeling like this, the despair, the complete hopelessness. What if I never get better, what if I am still like this in a years time, yes I am afraid of the unknown and cannot contend with that thought, however I have a big problem just taking life day by day. There are so many what ifs... I am discouraged greatly that the road ahead will suddenly fall off the edge of the straight and narrow and I am going to fall long and hard with it....