Young people

A space for people aged 12-25 to discuss life. If you’re over 25, please be mindful that this is a space for younger people to connect.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

romantic_thi3f Eeep! When study is overwhelming! - Tips, ideas and coping strategies
  • replies: 51

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are i... View more

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are important. Your grades don’t define you. (support) Studying can feel isolating but know you’re not alone! Reach out – and find or make friends that can support you along the way. If you’re having trouble finding some friends, join some local communities or clubs! They have lots at Uni’s and even stuff like open days are great ways to meet new people and find out what’s happening. Study groups can also be a great way to meet people and stay motivated. Also remind yourself why you’re doing this; inspirational wallpapers or quotes can be super inspiring. Remember the saying about the oxygen mask? If you can’t take care of yourself first studying will be harder. You are important. You know the drill - water, food, exercise, sleep. Try to stay calm. Stuff that might be able to help include mindfulness, breathing exercises, colouring in, going for walks, journaling, listening to music… If you’re struggling – reach out. See a therapist. Talk to your student counsellor. If you need help, don’t be afraid to ask for it. Also lots of Universities and TAFE offer disability services – which includes conditions like Depression and Anxiety. (study) Find the right study space for you. Maybe that’s in your room, or a coffee shop, or the library. Some people find that noise helps; other people not so much. If you like particular kinds of noise, you can find ‘coffee shop’ noise or ‘rain sounds’ to help concentrate. Make a plan. It helps to do it often so it becomes a habit. Anytime you get a due date, write it down. Maybe you could use a diary, planner, bullet journal or an app. I find the 30/30 App helpful - study for a bit and then break for a bit. You can also get add-on’s for your computer to block sites like Facebook if you find them too distracting. Find out what study technique works for you. Do you like cue cards? Mind maps? Colour coding? Does highlighting stuff help you remember? Charts, maps, diagrams? Recorded lectures? Goals! These are so important – not just writing down deadlines but rewarding yourself for meeting them. Even making smaller goals like ‘read two pages from a textbook’ can help. Break it down into bite size pieces, and don’t forget to reward yourself after!

Sophie_M NEW TO THIS FORUM? Please read this first
  • replies: 0

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindfu... View more

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindful that this forum is a space for younger people to connect and provide peer support for each other. 2. Content from this sub-forum is displayed on both the beyondblue and youthbeyondblue websites. 3. Please bear in mind that some members find content relating to suicide and/or self-harm distressing or triggering. If you would like to post on these topics, please do so in our Suicidal Thoughts and Self Harm section. Please see also our guidelines for making posts on this topic. Posts made here in the Young People sub-forum containing content relating to suicide and/or self-harm will be moved. 4. These forums are moderated, so your posts may not appear straightaway. Information on how our system works can be found here. Being familiar with our community rules can help ensure that your posts appear online as quickly as possible. 5. This is a peer support community, and to get the best out of being here we recommend that you 'give support to receive support'. More on how that works here.

All discussions

PersianGirl Anxiety from father and sneaky stepmother
  • replies: 16

Hey guys so its my first time on this site and I'm hoping to God someone can help me. So my dad remarried about 8 years ago to a lady he met overseas. In the beginning she was very nice, I never even noticed her around. But in the past year or so, I ... View more

Hey guys so its my first time on this site and I'm hoping to God someone can help me. So my dad remarried about 8 years ago to a lady he met overseas. In the beginning she was very nice, I never even noticed her around. But in the past year or so, I am starting to Hate her. Hate. She gives me anxiety because she is a two faced conniving person. She acts like so sweet infront of guests and calls me sweetheart and her daughter but when we're alone she is a rude hateful person. If she knows I am home one day, she makes SO much noise slamming doors banging pots and pans around talking at the top of her lungs to her family overseas. She is very inconsiderate. When i try talking to her she won't respond or responds very cold and with an attitude. she is soooo fake!!!! my dad and I don't talk at all, just a hi and bye and when he's around she is exactly the same. It's as if she is scared to talk to me? Neither of them communicate with me. I am a prisoner in this house. I am trying so hard to study my final year at uni and I feel so alone. I can't do my work. They don't ask how I am, and she is always ignoring me when my dad is around. My brother told me when I'm not home she goes in my room because he hears my wardrobe doors sliding open and shut. When I'm at home alone with her, I don't step out of my room. I starve myself so I don't have to go out into the living room and see her face there. I hate her for making me feel like a stranger. I hate her for taking my place in the house. I hate her for being a sneaky two faced human. My dad is no better. They lock their bedroom door when they go out, when I'm at home. They hide food from us? They get angry if we try to eat when they're not eating. My Dad won't give me a key to the house. I have nowhere else to go and I'm slowly dying inside. I don't know what to do anymore, I can't handle being treated this way. And that's not even a quarter of it but I don't want to bore anyone. If anyone out there can give me any sort of advice on what to do in regards to them I would be ever so thankful and grateful. Thankyou for taking the time out to read this and sorry for rambling on. Xo

Jade12 Everything I usually enjoy just seems difficult and pointless
  • replies: 1

Hello everyone. Today isnt the best for me. I am feeling very depressed, nothing seems to be going very well. Its just very hard to look on the bright side today. Everything I usually enjoy just seems difficult and pointless. I dont think there is re... View more

Hello everyone. Today isnt the best for me. I am feeling very depressed, nothing seems to be going very well. Its just very hard to look on the bright side today. Everything I usually enjoy just seems difficult and pointless. I dont think there is really a reason for it which puzzles me

Stephaaa Please Help
  • replies: 7

I'm feeling really down and horrible today and I don't know what to do. I live with my ex boyfriend, because I was kicked out of home, and I don't have anywhere to go. We were together until last week, where my depression, anxiety and anger got the b... View more

I'm feeling really down and horrible today and I don't know what to do. I live with my ex boyfriend, because I was kicked out of home, and I don't have anywhere to go. We were together until last week, where my depression, anxiety and anger got the best of me and I was taking everything all out on him, and we basically broke up. I miss him so much, I miss what we had but he seems to see the more negative times we had together than the positive times. I just, want everything to go back to the way we were. I love him so much and it hurts so much to imagine my life without him. I just, I feel like packing all my things up and leaving, having no contact with anyone again. He's family is in his head about us dating, they think im crazy and he has a very close bond with them so whatever they say he will do. Hes just being really 2 faced about everything I just I need help today

Stephaaa Get Better & Stay Better!?

Hi Everyone,My name is Steph, and I'm 21, 22 in April and I just want to give you all run down of my past to the present.In 2005 my mum was diagnosed with Stage 4 Advanced Breast Cancer, she survived and fought like crazy, but sadly she passed away F... View more

Hi Everyone,My name is Steph, and I'm 21, 22 in April and I just want to give you all run down of my past to the present.In 2005 my mum was diagnosed with Stage 4 Advanced Breast Cancer, she survived and fought like crazy, but sadly she passed away February 1st 2013.My Grandpa was diagnosed with a very rare form of cancer and he passed away June 31st, 2012.In October 2013, my dad physically abused me, and so did his girlfriend, which resulted in me being kicked out of home, becoming homeless for 2 weeks, living with my boyfriend of 1 month, and his mum, and then court dates and restraining orders My boyfriend bought a house and we both moved in together (we were together for 2 months when we bought the house)I have a lot of melt downs and break downs whatever you want to call it. I miss my mum like crazy, and I have no contact with my family what so ever and it kills me, especially knowing my dad moved on so quickly (2 months after mum passed away, they were married for 24 years!!!!!!)I get quite angry and I take my anger out of my boyfriend, who certianly does not deserve it.Friday (28th Feb) was my worst day. I had a huge meltdown, where I was threatning to kill myself, resulting in calling the CAT team.I just want to know, what can I do to stay better I'm on anti depressants, but not feeling they are helping me too much, I am being reviewed on them later this week, I am also seeing my psychologist once a week.My boyfriend is my world, and I want to be with him for a long time, for the rest of my life to be honest, but he can't deal with my mood swings all the time, and my anger and suicidal thoughts, I feel like someone else takes over my body and I'm just standing on the sidelines watching myself break down and go off..Just looking for some suggestions to help me get better and stay better?Thanks Steph

sean13 what do I do

I feel pretty silly posting on here because i read so many other feeds and it seems like people have real problems to deal with and there's me, I'm 21 and would say fairly well off I have a job, friends and play sport weekly. I guess I would never di... View more

I feel pretty silly posting on here because i read so many other feeds and it seems like people have real problems to deal with and there's me, I'm 21 and would say fairly well off I have a job, friends and play sport weekly. I guess I would never diagnose myself with anything but for as long as I can remember now its been a struggle to keep myself from giving up completely, I mean I've tried and ended up in hospital and I feel like everyday is pushing me closer to that day again. I just don't know what to do considering I feel like I have no problems in life

67ChevySunburn Just another sob story.

I'm 22. I don't really know why I'm here, pouring words out on a web page nobody will read, but I am anyway. Ever since I was a kid I've been a hermit. I never did what normal kids did. Didn't like sports. Didn't like meeting new people. I didn't lik... View more

I'm 22. I don't really know why I'm here, pouring words out on a web page nobody will read, but I am anyway. Ever since I was a kid I've been a hermit. I never did what normal kids did. Didn't like sports. Didn't like meeting new people. I didn't like my own family. Daddy didn't abuse me. My family only ever wanted the best for me I guess but they didn't have the money or knowledge to help. I've always had a heart attack at the mere thought of meeting new people. I would rather eat a bar of soap than have a social conversation with a stranger so nowadays I just avoid it altogether - one of my old boyhood friends convinced me to come out to a pub a few months ago and I went reluctantly. I just sat in the corner with my phone until he got tired of drinking and took me home. I remember a stranger saying "Look at that guy...he looks like he's ready to go postal." Yeah. That's me alright. I kind of expect people not to like me so I don't make an effort in case I bother them or make things awkward. I don't want to bother anyone about anything so I never complain, never whine about anything and I don't understand why other people do. It further alienates me from everyone else (especially those I work with), and I can see why. I started training for a new job about six months ago after two years of unemployment and I can tell everyone I work with hates me. You can see it on their faces. My sadness is written all over my face wherever I go. It brings down everyone I am near. They go quiet and whistle because I don't talk unless I have to and try to have painful, tedious small talk with me about the weather and such things. It makes my head hurt when people do that. Why not just shut up if you have nothing useful to say? I put on a smile because I don't want them to feel embarrassed and talk and make eye contact when needed. I can still see they pity me. Have you ever seen that? When someone pities you? The blank look out of the corner of their eye. I see it all the time. I try not to bother anyone, but somehow someone always feels like stepping on my feelings and because I'm a guy I'm supposed to suck it up, but I don't. Nobody thinks twice about the things they say to me because, on the outside, it looks like I just take it in my stride. Every little criticism hurts. It hurts internally, and I can't stop thinking about it. I had a particularly bad day today where I worked alongside an "experienced" staff member who made me feel utterly worthless and completely incompetent, embarrassed me in front of my boss, and just pushed all my buttons. I felt very down afterwards, I really did. If I lose this job I will return to a downward spiral of unemployment and dependency and then I will be truly in trouble.That's just life I guess. I look around and don't know how other people do it. All the people I went to school with? They have amazing careers, beautiful partners, children, everyone knows their name, they go to university, they juggle great jobs and some brilliant education at a great university, they are smiling and happy in photos. Me? I live with my parents and I can't even finish a diploma. I went into the military but dropped out and told my family I was medically discharged to hide the shame. My sadness is a black hole in my chest that is with me every waking minute, and my head droops from long years of being held low. Today more than ever I have wanted to take action. I looked myself in the mirror and said "Nobody will miss you," and that is true, at least after the shock is gone, those who knew me will carry on regardless as if I was never even here. We're all specks of stardust in an infinite cosmos. The world will keep turning if I am not here tomorrow, so what's the point? Had a girlfriend once. She left me. Had a long-distance relationship not so long ago. She took my money, abused me, bullied me, used me, left me. Every day I find less and less to live for. I remember ever since I was a child I have experienced ridicule, bullying, cynicism, apathy, cruelty, and inhumanity. I remember being bullied in primary school while a teacher looked on from across from the room, pretending not to see what she saw, and it has stayed with me 10 years later. And that's that. Just another sob story to make you feel bad. Not sure what I'm looking for here, if anything.Sorry if I spoiled your day.

DaenOwens96 How to Overcome Depression?

How do I overcome Depression? Is there a cure? Will It ever go away? Will I have to take Anti-Depressants for the rest of my life?

How do I overcome Depression? Is there a cure? Will It ever go away? Will I have to take Anti-Depressants for the rest of my life?

Jessy22 Rollercoaster of ups and downs...
  • replies: 5

Hi All, I am a new member to these forums and thought I would write my story as I am at the point of not knowing where to turn… I am 23 years old and have suffered anxiety and depression since the age of 14. I can’t say I have experienced much trauma... View more

Hi All, I am a new member to these forums and thought I would write my story as I am at the point of not knowing where to turn… I am 23 years old and have suffered anxiety and depression since the age of 14. I can’t say I have experienced much trauma throughout my life; being brought up within a loving and supportive family, having a close group of friends, living a generally normal life. I find it extremely hard to speak to others about my condition due to this reason as I don’t have much reason to be depressed. I come across as a confident, bubbly and caring person. I will admit throughout my high school years I did participate in a lot of partying and took associated substances during this time. I have also been a heavy cannabis smoker for around 5 years. I am naturally an extremely driven person, with perfectionism characteristics which has helped me succeed in my career being a Property Manager, winning awards and gaining a reputation within the community of providing a great service to all of my clients. I was working for a small property management company with just 2 employees, being myself and my boss, working from her home based office. She was amazingly supportive to whom I considered a close friend, even becoming part of their family. She received tragic news that her 3 year old son had been diagnosed with cancer which resulted in me having to look after the business by myself whilst she attended hospital constantly. I guess looking back this did affect me quite a bit due to the stress and emotion however at the time I ran on adrenaline as my main focus was to help her and the company. During this time; I had decided to wean myself off my antidepressant; as I felt I was a lot better and ready to face life without medication. For a few months after; I felt fantastic, finally feeling comfortable in my own skin and genuinely happy within myself. We then received fantastic news that my boss’s son was officially in remission and that he would be ok. Things were great in my life. Until things took an unexpected turn… I started to find even the smallest tasks were stressing me out, I was unable to cope with client interaction and took a lot of things to heart. This resulted into getting major panic attacks, feeling like I couldn’t breath and constantly falling apart in tears over nothing. With my boss recognising this; she recommended that I take a week off just to relax and not think about work. After returning back to work after my break, things did not improve. In fact they became even worse. My negative thoughts started to take over; my normal happy persona was diminishing; I started to feel anxious in social situations and just felt constantly empty. I then decided to seek help from a psychiatrist. He diagnosed me with major depression with agitation as well as panic disorder and advised that I need to recommence on another type of antidepressant immediately as well as an anti-psychotic medication. He stated that I was “unfit for work” as the side effects would be full on and I needed to be monitored. He also advised I needed to quit cannabis immediately as this would stop the medication from working properly. I was absolutely devastated by the news, being someone who was so used to being in control and independent. The next couple of months were absolute hell, I was unable to do anything for myself; to the extent of my parents needing to help me out of bed, forcing me to eat. Driving was not an option. Luckily my boss was still extremely supportive and told me to take all the time I needed to recover. I was in complete isolation for 2 months. After trying a couple of types of antidepressants; I finally found one that seemed to have agreed with me. After the 3rd month off work; I was finally ready to return back to work. I was actually excited to get back to normality and routine. 2 days before I was supposed to start; I received a call from my boss. She advised she would need to make my position redundant as the company was not growing and she couldn’t afford to keep employees. It was another major blow for me, I was in complete shock. I had mixed emotions; anger, depression, confusion, self-blame… After a couple of days of crying; I immediately started looking for a new job in the same industry which to my surprise; I received 3 job offers within the week. The role I accepted was in a bigger company with a team of 23. I tried my hardest to feel excited about it; yet had this “empty” feeling still lingering. I tried to convince myself this was just nervousness and things would work out. I ended up lasting 3 days at this job and quit… After the 2nd day, I witnessed the boss screaming & swearing at all the employees, the in office banter was insulting and intimidating, the way they spoke about their clients was disgusting. The environment definitely didn’t fit and lead me to feel anxious and unconfident. I then took another role in a smaller company... I lasted 4 days and quit… I took another role after that… I lasted a week and quit. At the time of starting each role, I tried to be open minded, I understood that it takes time to adjust to new environments, yet the constant feeling of anxiety kept returning, I was always running to the bathroom to be sick due to this panic, sitting in the corner of the cubicle balling my eyes out. I had absolutely no confidence in myself and felt these companies were better off with someone that could actually cope. To make matters harder, my parents have now gone on a holiday for 2 and half weeks so am sitting here alone at home feeling like a complete failure. Feeling like my life is going nowhere, I have no meaning anymore. I have had to double my antidepressants as my psych believes this is necessary. To add to this; I did the silly mistake of obtaining more cannabis to try and cope with it all. Yet it made matters even worse. The feeling was horrible and nothing I had ever experienced before, making me feel even more depressed, paranoid and completely out of it. It wasn’t the answer anymore… There is nothing out there that will help me cope with this. I honestly thought I was on the verge of recovery at the beginning of the year.. now Im feeling worse than ever. Ive lost all motivation to do anything, the only escape I feel is when I am asleep and don’t have to deal with any of it. I don’t want to socialise with anyone yet at the same time I just want to talk to someone that understands. It is now 2:30pm, I am still in my pajamas and haven’t showered.. my thoughts just keep telling me its not worth it… ive lost my strength and fight.. I keep getting told “just take one day at a time”… I am so sick of hearing that… time seems to make matters worse…

lotus Does it get easier?
  • replies: 4

I have been battling with depression and anxiety for nearly nine years now, I turn 21 this year and I am so scared that what I go through isn't going to get any better!

I have been battling with depression and anxiety for nearly nine years now, I turn 21 this year and I am so scared that what I go through isn't going to get any better!

Shea___ Have to present in front of the class and anxious
  • replies: 4

Does anyone know any worthwhile ideas to help calm yourself down or to get out of stress or stressful situations? I have a presentation tomorrow and have to present it in front of the whole class I don't think it will be good enough and everyone will... View more

Does anyone know any worthwhile ideas to help calm yourself down or to get out of stress or stressful situations? I have a presentation tomorrow and have to present it in front of the whole class I don't think it will be good enough and everyone will laugh or judge!!!! Please help I am in desperation and am really worried that people will hate what I have to present at school tomorrow...