Young people

A space for people aged 12-25 to discuss life. If you’re over 25, please be mindful that this is a space for younger people to connect.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

romantic_thi3f Eeep! When study is overwhelming! - Tips, ideas and coping strategies
  • replies: 51

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are i... View more

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are important. Your grades don’t define you. (support) Studying can feel isolating but know you’re not alone! Reach out – and find or make friends that can support you along the way. If you’re having trouble finding some friends, join some local communities or clubs! They have lots at Uni’s and even stuff like open days are great ways to meet new people and find out what’s happening. Study groups can also be a great way to meet people and stay motivated. Also remind yourself why you’re doing this; inspirational wallpapers or quotes can be super inspiring. Remember the saying about the oxygen mask? If you can’t take care of yourself first studying will be harder. You are important. You know the drill - water, food, exercise, sleep. Try to stay calm. Stuff that might be able to help include mindfulness, breathing exercises, colouring in, going for walks, journaling, listening to music… If you’re struggling – reach out. See a therapist. Talk to your student counsellor. If you need help, don’t be afraid to ask for it. Also lots of Universities and TAFE offer disability services – which includes conditions like Depression and Anxiety. (study) Find the right study space for you. Maybe that’s in your room, or a coffee shop, or the library. Some people find that noise helps; other people not so much. If you like particular kinds of noise, you can find ‘coffee shop’ noise or ‘rain sounds’ to help concentrate. Make a plan. It helps to do it often so it becomes a habit. Anytime you get a due date, write it down. Maybe you could use a diary, planner, bullet journal or an app. I find the 30/30 App helpful - study for a bit and then break for a bit. You can also get add-on’s for your computer to block sites like Facebook if you find them too distracting. Find out what study technique works for you. Do you like cue cards? Mind maps? Colour coding? Does highlighting stuff help you remember? Charts, maps, diagrams? Recorded lectures? Goals! These are so important – not just writing down deadlines but rewarding yourself for meeting them. Even making smaller goals like ‘read two pages from a textbook’ can help. Break it down into bite size pieces, and don’t forget to reward yourself after!

Sophie_M NEW TO THIS FORUM? Please read this first
  • replies: 0

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindfu... View more

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindful that this forum is a space for younger people to connect and provide peer support for each other. 2. Content from this sub-forum is displayed on both the beyondblue and youthbeyondblue websites. 3. Please bear in mind that some members find content relating to suicide and/or self-harm distressing or triggering. If you would like to post on these topics, please do so in our Suicidal Thoughts and Self Harm section. Please see also our guidelines for making posts on this topic. Posts made here in the Young People sub-forum containing content relating to suicide and/or self-harm will be moved. 4. These forums are moderated, so your posts may not appear straightaway. Information on how our system works can be found here. Being familiar with our community rules can help ensure that your posts appear online as quickly as possible. 5. This is a peer support community, and to get the best out of being here we recommend that you 'give support to receive support'. More on how that works here.

All discussions

hb3003 Depression - Am I living with it?
  • replies: 1

I really do not know what has lead to this post, but I feel as though I need to get my feelings off my chest without affecting the ones that I love and care about. Half a year ago I lost my father, he had been ill for a very long and he finally lost ... View more

I really do not know what has lead to this post, but I feel as though I need to get my feelings off my chest without affecting the ones that I love and care about. Half a year ago I lost my father, he had been ill for a very long and he finally lost his battle. Although we argued a lot towards the latter part of his life, he was my best friend. I was all that he had and the fact that we argued so much tears me apart every time I think about it. The events which have stemmed from my father's death have been my downfall. I have become withdrawn from my friends, my family have been avoiding regular contact, I have questioned who I am as a person which has affected my relationship with my long term boyfriend. My motivation levels regarding Uni and work have also decreased dramatically. My behaviour has become more impulsive and I have no idea who I am anymore. I have not gone to the doctor for a diagnosis yet. My emotions are eating me alive.

bc999 do I have depression?
  • replies: 6

hi, I am a 16 (nearly 17) year old in year 12 at school. I haven't been diagnosed with anything. I haven't visited a doctor about it because I'm not really sure if I have any condition or if I'm just being too sensitive or something. I have googled s... View more

hi, I am a 16 (nearly 17) year old in year 12 at school. I haven't been diagnosed with anything. I haven't visited a doctor about it because I'm not really sure if I have any condition or if I'm just being too sensitive or something. I have googled some of my 'symptoms' but again I don't really know for sure if I have them or if I'm being too sensitive. As you can tell I am pretty indecisive. The main thing is I just don't really enjoy much anymore. I play sport and train for it at school which I don't like but I do it to stay fit/I kinda feel like I have to. I hate school. I have been thinking about subjects and university and careers and nothing appeals to me. I guess I'm just trying to say I don't really like many things in life, I can't remember if I ever did. I seem to get butterflies in my stomach for no reason all the time. It's like I'm nervous for something upcoming but I have nothing I should be nervous for? Maybe it's because I regularly have tests for school so I'm just constantly on edge, I dunno. I am often fearful of meeting with friends, going to parties or whatever. I often have a feeling that whoever I am meeting with won't turn up, is that normal? I understand this post may seem a little all over the place, which I apologise for. I guess I'm just looking for some clarity. Thank you for reading this

mixtape what i wished someone told me
  • replies: 3

About a year and a half ago, I wrote a post on here; just a tangled web of issues that I was yet to resolve. I did receive one reply, and to this day I still have it written down(whiteknight). It's stuck with me. Im a high school student. Ive been di... View more

About a year and a half ago, I wrote a post on here; just a tangled web of issues that I was yet to resolve. I did receive one reply, and to this day I still have it written down(whiteknight). It's stuck with me. Im a high school student. Ive been diagnosed with many many things, yet no one seems to be certain. Ive been to the black dog institute and even there I haven't obtained substantial support. Ive been hospitalised 10's of times and yet here I still am. I guess these are some things I wish people did or said to me, and Im writing here to the people out there. Life sucks hey? And Life isn't going to get better, so don't wait for it to do so. But YOU get better. Perhaps tranquility becomes more adamant in your life, or perhaps you give yourself the permission to be at peace with yourself. But please don't wait for it to get better, because it doesn't. The world is like a wine stain on a white handkerchief. Its stained, it's fact. I feel a peaceful thing to research is 'nihilism'. But when you read about it, don't think negatively -"the world is going to end so why does it matter" More or less think, its going to be okay, mistakes happen, people say things. But there is a world to discover, there are people to meet, cultures to explore, secrets to unveil. Perhaps where you are won't get better. But where you are is all you've ever known right? Bad days will happen, you will cry and scream into your pillow, wishing it to end. But the world is staging a beautiful sunset the very next morning for you. You can drink your long black or your green tea, and eat your cheerios, and it'll be a new day, and after a few 10's or 100's of new days, it'll be a new day you'll love. Im still waiting for that new day too. Another thing I get told thousands of time and wish wasn't case, was to "research famous people with ...BPD,ADHD etc. Looking at the central of underlying truth, I can understand why thats openly suggested.But so what? Yes they've made it, but SO what? Its an attempt to try and give people hope by showing them to try and follow the doings of a famous person. I believe do what you want. DO what you feel. Not what famous people do, because media is what destroys them. Don't be influenced. Let your inner positivity flourish and grow. It exists. Its there. Dig a little deeper and you'll find it. Wake up, watch a sunrise, drink your coffee, eat your cereal. You're not always going to be where you are now. This is what I wish people told me.

diamondintherough NEW* ~ Teenage miscarriage
  • replies: 1

I'm fairly new to this but am hoping that I can find some people on here with similar situations as myself I've suffered from depression for 3 years. I was getting better until 5 months ago when I had a miscarriage (3 months into pregnancy) . Ever si... View more

I'm fairly new to this but am hoping that I can find some people on here with similar situations as myself I've suffered from depression for 3 years. I was getting better until 5 months ago when I had a miscarriage (3 months into pregnancy) . Ever since this has happened I just feel a sense of grief and loneliness and feeling like it's my fault this has happened. It's also very difficult to deal with as I obviously don't know anybody who's gone through the same thing as myself and am uncomfortable with telling most of my friends about what happened in fear of being judged. The birthday of my unborn baby is also coming up fairly soon (21st May) and the closer the date comes the more upset and grief-stricken I become. I was just wondering if there is anyone else on here that has been through a miscarriage or something similar to this. It would be very comforting to know that what I'm feeling is normal or not as well as how other people have found ways to cope. anything would be greatly appreciated xx

ItsDestiny Trying to find a purpose in life.
  • replies: 9

Hello, my name is Katy and I am a 19 year old female with PTSD, depression, anorexia nervosa, agoraphobia, anxieties, constant stiffness - causing pain and so many more medical conditions. This is my first time posting on Beyond Blue and I am hoping ... View more

Hello, my name is Katy and I am a 19 year old female with PTSD, depression, anorexia nervosa, agoraphobia, anxieties, constant stiffness - causing pain and so many more medical conditions. This is my first time posting on Beyond Blue and I am hoping to gain an understanding how others deal with their trauma and chronic physical illnesses as I am struggling to deal with my own. I have also been encouraged to reach out to others, who have an understanding on how difficult it is to be an independent person. All of my life, I have been socially awkward, struggling to fit in with people my own age as I have always had low self-esteem. I am shy by nature, and I have always found to be a target for bullies, dominating and controlling people. Now, I am just socially awkward around everyone, (excluding my mother and brother). My anxieties flare to the extreme (panic and asthma attack) when I am present near another person or child, which makes a normal life impossible. I have been through so many traumatic experiences and these experiences haunt me constantly, during my waking and sleeping moments. I feel in the last 15 months, since my health issues escalated, that I am a failure in life and a test rat for medical science. As my medications are changed constantly due to unaffectedness or the side effects are too extreme. I have been seeing a doctor and psychologist, who have both being supportive, unfortunately they do not understand all my concerns. I also see a psychiatrist who I no longer have faith in, as his prescription’s in medication has left me feeling worse than ever. I do not feel that he takes all my medical history into consideration and I no longer trust his advice. I have no true friends, due to my illnesses and I feel that my worth is nil from experiences. Feeling lost, beyond belief.

Seekparadise Things feel surreal??

For the past few weeks I've been feeling really down, the kind of down I feel post-break up with someone. I was seeing someone I felt very connected to- I found a solace in this person- and now we are no longer. I thought I was fine because I wasn't ... View more

For the past few weeks I've been feeling really down, the kind of down I feel post-break up with someone. I was seeing someone I felt very connected to- I found a solace in this person- and now we are no longer. I thought I was fine because I wasn't crying much or anything but now I know something is up because I haven't felt like seeing many people at all. I have people offering to come and keep me company because they know I'm down and yet I don't feel like seeing them at all. I almost feel panicked at the idea of it. Most of all I know something is up because I've experienced a total loss of libido. I hardly even feel like touching anyone. It's totally out of character for me- usually when I'm sad, I'll jump at the chance for someone to come and bring me food and keep me company and to like, kiss someone cute. I feel like crying and I want these people to stay away from me incase they 'want more' (romantically, sexually etc) This morning I woke up feeling the way you do when you've broken up with someone. You know when you're laying in bed and for a few seconds you're fine because reality hasn't hit you yet? And then bam- the reality of this person being gone hits you? That's how I felt. But nothing came flooding back to 'hit me' as I was waiting for it. I'm now stuck in this inbetween feeling. Like something has significantly changed and I'm waiting for that crushing reality to come swinging. But nothing is coming. I just feel anxious. And things feel really surreal. It feels exactly how a comedown does for me. Waves of anxiety, colours feel brighter, my head and body is exhausted and sore, I can't read too much information on a screen because it makes my head hurt. I feel like I'm on drugs. It's really weird and I've never felt this way before. anyone have any ideas what's going on????

bunnys_d Social life after depression

After suffering from severe depression for over two years I have begun to notice that at school I make a conscious effort to be happy. I have predominately over come depression now but I am still left with the forced hysterical happiness that I used ... View more

After suffering from severe depression for over two years I have begun to notice that at school I make a conscious effort to be happy. I have predominately over come depression now but I am still left with the forced hysterical happiness that I used to seem happy while I had depression. I no longer normally feel the extreme self hatred, suicidal thoughts and just over all black numb mood yet I still have the extreme forced happiness I used when I used to pretend I was fine. I feel as though I now need to be extremely happy so as not to fall back into depression or that I still need to prove I'm not depressed. I feel as though in order to be like I need to be overly silly and happy instead of the shy quiet person I was before depression. It's like I can never be sad around my friends now in case they don't like me but or think I'm depressed again so I just act insanely happy the whole time and can't stop. Does anyone else do this, even after managing to finally stop the worst of depression?

Becka1 I'm ok/im not ok
  • replies: 6

Hi there BB Friends, Last couple of days I'v just been feeling lonely, feels like my mind and everything at the moment is cloudy amd back in the position where I'm finding it hard to find a path way to start. Mentally I feel trapped and stuck as I'm ... View more

Hi there BB Friends, Last couple of days I'v just been feeling lonely, feels like my mind and everything at the moment is cloudy amd back in the position where I'm finding it hard to find a path way to start. Mentally I feel trapped and stuck as I'm not sure what to do or where to go and it's hard to take the steps I need to help me as when I'm low and in this state it's hard to get up again and seems like an effort. I'm scared to be on own for a certain amount of time but I am trying to look for some sort of company bit is hard when at times like this I feel that there isn't that many people who will really understand the emotions I'm going through so I'm feeling a bit lost and lonely. At the moment I'm trying to take baby steps and hopefully oneday I'll have a clear mind of life and where to head but atm I feel stuck. I'm hoping to also meet new ppl and make new friends that can help me and can share experiences and support as I'm hoping to give the same. What I hate at the moment is when I wake up of a morning when I can sort of eventually get to sleep is waking up with that hit in the face after a sec that I'v woken up and feelings/emotions and mental state as what I did when I went to bed, that's what I hate waking up to as when I'm asleep I feel bit better as it gives me a brake in dealing with whaty emotions are everyday...

Overwhelmed92 Bullying housemates, Loneliness and Losing Friends in a New City
  • replies: 2

Hi everyone, This is my first post here, my name is Laura and I am a 23year old studying at uni who comes across as this bubbly, happy person but most nights/most days lately (as in the past 8 months) I have been feeling more and more drained, anxiou... View more

Hi everyone, This is my first post here, my name is Laura and I am a 23year old studying at uni who comes across as this bubbly, happy person but most nights/most days lately (as in the past 8 months) I have been feeling more and more drained, anxious and depressed to the point where I come home and just cry in a ball on my boyfriend's lap. I have lost all of my best friends (3) over the past 2 years, each of which I have tried my utmost to stay connected with but have decided they were more destructive in my life than positive so have ultimately left myself isolated... Quick lo-down on the situation: they were all 'demanding' people who I gave my entire self to, to the point where I was exhausted and left sad/empty so I had to put my foot down and say "enough is enough" and they walked on out of my life. Nowadays, it's not that I don't want friends, heck! I would love someone, anyone to talk to these days besides my boyfriend (whom I live with now as a result of being isolated by those people) and my toxic housemates (who despite being able to hear them say hurtful things about me through the walls I still try to be kind and friendly to) because I feel like I have so much love and attention to give to people... I want to find a special friend who I can just shower with kindness; I'd get a puppy if I could but I'm renting so that's out; but I keep meeting people who just don't seem interested or want to put effort in anymore. Everyone is always 'busy' or 'caught up' in their own worlds. I'm beginning to think maybe I'm the horrible person and I deserve to be alone and maybe I drove my friends away, but I have to keep reminding myself that I'm a good, decent person who has every right to friendship and equality, it's just disheartening... Has anyone got any advice or similar experiences?

Lily3 Sad, lonely, unmotivated, melancholy glum, down. Whatever you call. I feel it.
  • replies: 8

I have been kind of down lately. I can not place it on something specifically- it is just an overall feeling. The things that usually make me feel happy barely please me. My motivation and commitment to my work is wavering and I don't feel like focus... View more

I have been kind of down lately. I can not place it on something specifically- it is just an overall feeling. The things that usually make me feel happy barely please me. My motivation and commitment to my work is wavering and I don't feel like focussing on anything just drifting day by day. I have no reason to feel like this: I have family and friends, I have future plans and prospects, I have a safe and supportive environment, I have no dire stress or complications. The only thing that is really missing is a steady partner, but I am not distraught about this- just lonely. I have been self treating with comfort food and crappy TV but I don't think I can go on like this. I have no idea what to do. Maybe it is just a mood that will eventually go away? I would love some advice or anything to make me feel better!