Young people

A space for people aged 12-25 to discuss life. If you’re over 25, please be mindful that this is a space for younger people to connect.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

romantic_thi3f Eeep! When study is overwhelming! - Tips, ideas and coping strategies
  • replies: 51

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are i... View more

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are important. Your grades don’t define you. (support) Studying can feel isolating but know you’re not alone! Reach out – and find or make friends that can support you along the way. If you’re having trouble finding some friends, join some local communities or clubs! They have lots at Uni’s and even stuff like open days are great ways to meet new people and find out what’s happening. Study groups can also be a great way to meet people and stay motivated. Also remind yourself why you’re doing this; inspirational wallpapers or quotes can be super inspiring. Remember the saying about the oxygen mask? If you can’t take care of yourself first studying will be harder. You are important. You know the drill - water, food, exercise, sleep. Try to stay calm. Stuff that might be able to help include mindfulness, breathing exercises, colouring in, going for walks, journaling, listening to music… If you’re struggling – reach out. See a therapist. Talk to your student counsellor. If you need help, don’t be afraid to ask for it. Also lots of Universities and TAFE offer disability services – which includes conditions like Depression and Anxiety. (study) Find the right study space for you. Maybe that’s in your room, or a coffee shop, or the library. Some people find that noise helps; other people not so much. If you like particular kinds of noise, you can find ‘coffee shop’ noise or ‘rain sounds’ to help concentrate. Make a plan. It helps to do it often so it becomes a habit. Anytime you get a due date, write it down. Maybe you could use a diary, planner, bullet journal or an app. I find the 30/30 App helpful - study for a bit and then break for a bit. You can also get add-on’s for your computer to block sites like Facebook if you find them too distracting. Find out what study technique works for you. Do you like cue cards? Mind maps? Colour coding? Does highlighting stuff help you remember? Charts, maps, diagrams? Recorded lectures? Goals! These are so important – not just writing down deadlines but rewarding yourself for meeting them. Even making smaller goals like ‘read two pages from a textbook’ can help. Break it down into bite size pieces, and don’t forget to reward yourself after!

Sophie_M NEW TO THIS FORUM? Please read this first
  • replies: 0

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindfu... View more

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindful that this forum is a space for younger people to connect and provide peer support for each other. 2. Content from this sub-forum is displayed on both the beyondblue and youthbeyondblue websites. 3. Please bear in mind that some members find content relating to suicide and/or self-harm distressing or triggering. If you would like to post on these topics, please do so in our Suicidal Thoughts and Self Harm section. Please see also our guidelines for making posts on this topic. Posts made here in the Young People sub-forum containing content relating to suicide and/or self-harm will be moved. 4. These forums are moderated, so your posts may not appear straightaway. Information on how our system works can be found here. Being familiar with our community rules can help ensure that your posts appear online as quickly as possible. 5. This is a peer support community, and to get the best out of being here we recommend that you 'give support to receive support'. More on how that works here.

All discussions

AnxiousInsomniac Feeling Blue From Family
  • replies: 2

There's this place, kinda like this sight but in person. Called Headspace. My dad wanted me to go because I have problems with motivation, depression, insomnia and the biggest issue is Anxiety. I went a couple of times because he was really worried. ... View more

There's this place, kinda like this sight but in person. Called Headspace. My dad wanted me to go because I have problems with motivation, depression, insomnia and the biggest issue is Anxiety. I went a couple of times because he was really worried. But I didn't think it was the thing for me. I don't like talking to people, my problems are my problems and I feel really nervous telling other people. But I went. But after a few times the person I'd been speaking to, who I'd gotten used to, moved to a different firm of the organisation and I had to start the whole issue of trust again from scratch. Which I didn't do. But I told dad I was still going. Made up stories about the 'help I was getting' and tried to make it seem like I was getting better. That was until he started to try and contact them about how I was doing. So I started going again and knew it was going to come up and out in the open but couldn't find away to tell him. Now he's found out and is under the impression I did it because I was too lazy to. He has a problem with people lying to him and I know I should have told him but I feel like telling me to get out of his sight and not to speak to him again because I'd put him in a scenario he didn't like, he didn't want to interact with me at all for a while was really harsh considering I didn't want to do headspace in the first place, he pushed it on me, and I started going again just for him. It's not for me no matter who says what because I honestly hate talking about my feeling with anyone but me. The exception is in places like this where I am anonymous and safe from the judgement I don't need from other because I judge myself already. the main issue I needed to address was the fact dad doesn't see how the whole talking to others about my problems isn't helping me function normally. I'm even more depressed. I have an even lower self image and I genuinely feel exaughsted from the encounter. But he wants me to go, not because he's worried I suspect, but because he wants his messed up kids to get fixed or get lost before his girlfriend realises how messed up we are.

A_93 A case of Lonelieness - Advice welcome
  • replies: 2

Hi all, So, I'm generally not one to seek out this kind of advice, in fact, this is the first time I've ever posted or looked up such a forum. Anyways, I'm 22 years old, and I recently graduated from University and was extremely fortunate enough to l... View more

Hi all, So, I'm generally not one to seek out this kind of advice, in fact, this is the first time I've ever posted or looked up such a forum. Anyways, I'm 22 years old, and I recently graduated from University and was extremely fortunate enough to land a full-time, permanent job in the exact field I studied (sounds great, right?). The job I got was on the other side of Australia. Foreign territory to me. I've lived out of home since I was 18, so I figured another move couldn't be so bad. But as of late, I've had a sinking feeling of low self-worth and self-pity. I feel lonely here. I haven't made friends like I did when I was at University. I've been living here for just over 6 months now, and the only few 'friends' I did make, have been completely opposite to me in terms of common interests and hobbies. I feel like they're more acquaintances than anything. No-one I've connected with on a personal level. I know the constant response may be "join a club", but I have really bad anxiety in large groups. I feel a lot more comfortable connecting with people on a one-on-one basis. University helped me make a lot of my friends from home, but here, I feel like I have nothing. No-one. My colleagues at work, remain as colleagues (not to mention they're mostly twice [or more] my age). I guess I just feel lonely. Sad. Empty inside. Lately I've also had a lot of thoughts run through my head of where I'm at in terms of relationship goals too. I'm single and have been for a while now, and I feel like I've missed my opportunity of meeting other women (since my prime days of University are over). And now knowing I'm in a full-time, permanent job, the realisation of knowing I will be doing the same thing day-in, day-out for the next 40+ years saddens me. I've lost that joy and excitement I used to have in my life. I just feel... miserable? Lost? I don't know, as I read this back, it all sounds silly. So, I get it, if it's not worth the time. I know there's people out there with a lot worse, so I shouldn't complain. It's just... Somewhat demoarlising..

Kyra_jade teacher doesnt understand!?
  • replies: 4

what do you do when you have a teacher who thinks your anxiety and depression are excuses to get out of class??

what do you do when you have a teacher who thinks your anxiety and depression are excuses to get out of class??

Charlie_95 How to make friends at university??
  • replies: 5

I am 21, in my second year of uni. I live on campus and I am having a hard time trying to make friends. I have a boyfriend who also lives on my campus which is great because he is someone I have to hang out with a lot. But I feel like he is my only f... View more

I am 21, in my second year of uni. I live on campus and I am having a hard time trying to make friends. I have a boyfriend who also lives on my campus which is great because he is someone I have to hang out with a lot. But I feel like he is my only friend here. Last year, two of my closest friends lived with me (on campus) but they have moved away so I no longer see them. I just want to find a group of like-minded people I can hang out with - binge watch tv shows, eat junk food, gossip, the usual type of thing you can do with friends. I have attended so many social gatherings and I've gone out with people from my campus. But i haven't bonded with any of them! Under the influence of alcohol, it is so much easier to befriend others - but the next day when there's no alcohol, it's not as easy! And I hate that! I used to find myself being really confident with making new friends. I had a gap year where I went to Europe alone and made so many wonderful friends (who sadly live on the other sides of the worlds...) It is so depressing and unhealthy not having friends to be around all the time. I don't really know what to do and how to find friends?? Kind regards, Charlie

dark_unicorn Need advice!!
  • replies: 7

Hi...I'm new here.... I feel like I may have depression, although I have never been clinically diagnosed, so I'm not sure. I want to ask my parents about seeing a psychologist, but my parents are the type that ask heaps of questions, and I don't real... View more

Hi...I'm new here.... I feel like I may have depression, although I have never been clinically diagnosed, so I'm not sure. I want to ask my parents about seeing a psychologist, but my parents are the type that ask heaps of questions, and I don't really want to tell them until I'm sure. Does anyone have any advice? Kinda a sticky situation.... Thanks

Kyra_jade I feek like I cant breath. i feel like im trapped!
  • replies: 1

please, if anyone has any suggestions that might help me get through the school year, would be very much appreciated!!! thanks Xx

please, if anyone has any suggestions that might help me get through the school year, would be very much appreciated!!! thanks Xx

Terriella I'm really <b>struggling</b> with dealing with my mum's temper
  • replies: 3

Hi, so I'm really struggling with dealing with my mum's temper. One second she's happily serving dinner, and the next she's smashing plates!! I'm 13 and my mum is really really crazy!!! Whenever I have friends over she'll yell and scream at them and ... View more

Hi, so I'm really struggling with dealing with my mum's temper. One second she's happily serving dinner, and the next she's smashing plates!! I'm 13 and my mum is really really crazy!!! Whenever I have friends over she'll yell and scream at them and when they ask what's up with her I always try to make it seem small by saying 'minor anger issues' even though it really isn't!! I used to think it was normal for families to be like that but when I went to my friends house her parents were treating her like some angel!! I've done heaps of research and my mum fits all the criteria for bipolar disorder. She's always switching moods in a matter of seconds and the whole family is scared of her. I don't know what to do!! I know she'd never go get diagnosed by herself. Should I call a therapist or something??? The situations getting kind of out of hand. Please help!!! I don't know how to help my mum?!?!

Ashhh I wish my mum could understand my anxiety
  • replies: 4

Being 18 & in my last year of school, the stress of trials & my HSC is really weighing on me. A few days ago, I was recently diagnosed with anxiety. I always knew I had it, just needed to know for sure. I told my mum about it, but I don't think she r... View more

Being 18 & in my last year of school, the stress of trials & my HSC is really weighing on me. A few days ago, I was recently diagnosed with anxiety. I always knew I had it, just needed to know for sure. I told my mum about it, but I don't think she really understands what it is or how it's affecting me everyday. There are days where I feel like just crawling under a rock and never coming out, but she thinks it's be just being dramatic or being lazy. I want to explain to her, but I can't help but feel like she'll just think I'm lying. My anxiety has affected my school attendance the most, and I think that is the hardest thing to build the courage to talk to my mum about, because she knows there is nothing to do besides just sucking it up & going, and I feel like that's how she's going to respond, rather than talking to me and trying to understand how I'm feeling and how it affects me. How to I talk to her or bring up the conversation, without making her think I'm being dramatic or lazy? How do I get her to try & understand where I'm coming from? Please help.

konkenjunx SCHOOL!

Anyone experiencing troubles with high school, like myself, can talk about their problems and get advice!

Anyone experiencing troubles with high school, like myself, can talk about their problems and get advice!

Ajxc03 Need Help

Hi, I'm new here. I'm only 13 years old and I've been feeling so down for the last few months/this year... I have no motivation for anything, I get annoyed and irritated so easily. Every night I'm basically crying myself to sleep every night and it's... View more

Hi, I'm new here. I'm only 13 years old and I've been feeling so down for the last few months/this year... I have no motivation for anything, I get annoyed and irritated so easily. Every night I'm basically crying myself to sleep every night and it's just getting too much. Nowadays, I just feel so distant from all my relationships, even my best friend and my family. I always feel like people don't like me, even though I don't really even know them. This leads to me questioning about my looks. I hate my looks and my body, there's just so much I would like to change. I got family problems, and it's been so hard for me. My parents expect so much from my grades, and it's a massive weight on m shoulders to have to make my parents proud and overcome these depressed times. I've searched online a lot lately, and it always says things about depression, SAD, etc. I definitely don't want to tell my parents, let alone a doctor (or school counselor). I just feel so worthless, hopeless, and I always question my existence. What should I do?