Young people

A space for people aged 12-25 to discuss life. If you’re over 25, please be mindful that this is a space for younger people to connect.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

romantic_thi3f Eeep! When study is overwhelming! - Tips, ideas and coping strategies
  • replies: 51

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are i... View more

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are important. Your grades don’t define you. (support) Studying can feel isolating but know you’re not alone! Reach out – and find or make friends that can support you along the way. If you’re having trouble finding some friends, join some local communities or clubs! They have lots at Uni’s and even stuff like open days are great ways to meet new people and find out what’s happening. Study groups can also be a great way to meet people and stay motivated. Also remind yourself why you’re doing this; inspirational wallpapers or quotes can be super inspiring. Remember the saying about the oxygen mask? If you can’t take care of yourself first studying will be harder. You are important. You know the drill - water, food, exercise, sleep. Try to stay calm. Stuff that might be able to help include mindfulness, breathing exercises, colouring in, going for walks, journaling, listening to music… If you’re struggling – reach out. See a therapist. Talk to your student counsellor. If you need help, don’t be afraid to ask for it. Also lots of Universities and TAFE offer disability services – which includes conditions like Depression and Anxiety. (study) Find the right study space for you. Maybe that’s in your room, or a coffee shop, or the library. Some people find that noise helps; other people not so much. If you like particular kinds of noise, you can find ‘coffee shop’ noise or ‘rain sounds’ to help concentrate. Make a plan. It helps to do it often so it becomes a habit. Anytime you get a due date, write it down. Maybe you could use a diary, planner, bullet journal or an app. I find the 30/30 App helpful - study for a bit and then break for a bit. You can also get add-on’s for your computer to block sites like Facebook if you find them too distracting. Find out what study technique works for you. Do you like cue cards? Mind maps? Colour coding? Does highlighting stuff help you remember? Charts, maps, diagrams? Recorded lectures? Goals! These are so important – not just writing down deadlines but rewarding yourself for meeting them. Even making smaller goals like ‘read two pages from a textbook’ can help. Break it down into bite size pieces, and don’t forget to reward yourself after!

Sophie_M NEW TO THIS FORUM? Please read this first
  • replies: 0

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindfu... View more

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindful that this forum is a space for younger people to connect and provide peer support for each other. 2. Content from this sub-forum is displayed on both the beyondblue and youthbeyondblue websites. 3. Please bear in mind that some members find content relating to suicide and/or self-harm distressing or triggering. If you would like to post on these topics, please do so in our Suicidal Thoughts and Self Harm section. Please see also our guidelines for making posts on this topic. Posts made here in the Young People sub-forum containing content relating to suicide and/or self-harm will be moved. 4. These forums are moderated, so your posts may not appear straightaway. Information on how our system works can be found here. Being familiar with our community rules can help ensure that your posts appear online as quickly as possible. 5. This is a peer support community, and to get the best out of being here we recommend that you 'give support to receive support'. More on how that works here.

All discussions

Poppy_Grace Time to make a change
  • replies: 2

Hi everyone, After years and years of anxiety and panic it got very serious, I finally went to get professional help and was diagnosed with depression and Anxiety and Panic Disorder. I'm newly medicated and trying to make changes to my life, my anxie... View more

Hi everyone, After years and years of anxiety and panic it got very serious, I finally went to get professional help and was diagnosed with depression and Anxiety and Panic Disorder. I'm newly medicated and trying to make changes to my life, my anxiety is 24/7 and affects my every-day life at school, my job, at home, in my relationship etc. As a result of such anxiety I've developed insomnia and now need medication to help me sleep. I'm going to be in Year 12 soon and I want to get into the right headspace, not only for myself but for the people around me that I deeply love. I've started to realise just how my depression affects the people I'm close to. I want to make a change, I want to change the way I see myself and I want to believe in the bright future I'm working towards. I guess I'm joining this forum in hope for some advice, maybe some people can relate to me so I don't feel so alone. I know that his battle will take a lot of time and effort, this is the start. Thanks x

Hocko11 Unemployed and it's making me lose control of everything.
  • replies: 3

Hi. I'm a 17 year old guy who just lost his job. I'm scared of the fact that I won't find a job again and It's getting to me badly...I have no self confidence and I'm struggling to find any hope... I hope there is someone out there who can help me... View more

Hi. I'm a 17 year old guy who just lost his job. I'm scared of the fact that I won't find a job again and It's getting to me badly...I have no self confidence and I'm struggling to find any hope... I hope there is someone out there who can help me...

justalittlebitconfused Overwhelming sadness

It would help me so much if there was someone who feels the same way about me and knows why it is I feel this way and what I could do to help myself. Over the past month or so, I've been feeling extremely nostalgic. Memories of events and my thoughts... View more

It would help me so much if there was someone who feels the same way about me and knows why it is I feel this way and what I could do to help myself. Over the past month or so, I've been feeling extremely nostalgic. Memories of events and my thoughts. At the start of this year, I got myself a journal to write in at the end of every day. Just events that happened and things that were significant for me that day. However, it came to a point when I would forget some nights, and eventually, I ceased to write in it every day. I think it was at this point that it really got me. I knew that I wasn't putting enough motivation. This lead to this extreme sadness that I will forget things in my life. I won't be able to remember and recall each moment that I live. Even small insignificant things. It's just so sad. That we forget. The fact that I haven't written for some days makes it even worse. I will probably never, ever remember that day. What I did. What I talked about. Is there a word for such feelings? And such thoughts, lead to much more. The fact that I will never be able to experience life through someone else. That I won't be able to do everything that can possibly be done. Of how much I hate making conclusions about myself because I fear then that I won't be able to change. How I hate thinking so much about deep issues because it hurts my head and just makes me sadder. I don't think I'm going through an existential crisis. Because I know why I am here, and of things that will happen. It's just these small things that cause me a lot of stress and anxiety. Thank you for whoever is reading. It would mean so much for some words of understanding.

Jayden96 Living with a depressed partner...
  • replies: 1

Hello, I've never really posted on a forum before- I've never really read them either but I feel like I need some help with dealing with my situation as I'm finding it difficult to deal with. I'm 20 and my partner is 21, we've been living with each o... View more

Hello, I've never really posted on a forum before- I've never really read them either but I feel like I need some help with dealing with my situation as I'm finding it difficult to deal with. I'm 20 and my partner is 21, we've been living with each other since we basically started dating 18 months ago - we have recently moved out with each other to our own place and it's going alright. Late last year my partner was feeling really down and went to see a doctor, they rushed him through appointments as he was threatening suicide - he ended up being "diagnosed" bi-polar and was instantly put on a new anti-phycotic. This all happened very fast and I'm trying to keep up with it all. A few months went by and he started to believe what he was diagnosed with, I didn't believe it at first as the physiatrist only had 30 minutes with him and I felt it wasn't a very in depth consultation to label my partner with something like this. Anyhow, the problem I'm facing is my partner believes there is nothing wrong with him although he's being ignorant to the fact of what's happening. Our sex life is non-existant and we don't communicate at all, even though I talk to him about it all the time. He's starting to say he doesn't love me anymore, then he does all of a sudden and all I'm trying to do is help him. Im very lost and need some guidance... What do I do?

nightsky1100 Endless anxiety
  • replies: 4

Ever since 9 months ago I've kept hearing inappropriate words in my head for no reason, it used to happen to me before but never all the day, and that scared me to a point where I was doing an assignment and then I kept feeling stressed and stressed.... View more

Ever since 9 months ago I've kept hearing inappropriate words in my head for no reason, it used to happen to me before but never all the day, and that scared me to a point where I was doing an assignment and then I kept feeling stressed and stressed. I told a parent about it but she thought I was physically unwell, which I kept telling them this was not the case and that I felt strongly this was anxiety. I wasn't really able to do much of my work but had finished most of it before, then handed it in but the anxiety kept going everyday and I could feel myself feeling less and less normal I couldn't think of anything else except the anxiety and when I distracted myself it interrupted me, I would feel nausea, vomiting and I would cry most of the time. I ended up failing my work when I am a good student and this anxiety still continues now. I have started an anti depressant a few weeks ago after seeing my psych but I didn't tell her the true story, I just felt I was losing my mind. Now its so hard to be comfortable and concentrate and enjoy my life, so now I have depression and am not happy about how my life is or where I see myself in the future, I just wish I was in the past and actually wished I had seen help much earlier. I really need some help with this.

DV_Arjay Bouncing from one to the other

Literally everytime i get in a relationship It lasts for 1-3 months Its actually getting to me now I scare each one away apparently And aint committed enough for their needs Even before getting into a relationship Im anxious about it I know its not g... View more

Literally everytime i get in a relationship It lasts for 1-3 months Its actually getting to me now I scare each one away apparently And aint committed enough for their needs Even before getting into a relationship Im anxious about it I know its not going too last And even during flirting i tell myself Why even bother In the last 6 months Ive been in 4 relationships 1 being with my ex-bestfriend of 9+ years I feel like everything is my fault and Being in a relationship isnt my thing ohh and I tend to get girls too cheat on their bfs aswell Which is always great They tend too last the longest in relationships... not

My-life-is-a-constant-Mess Anxiety about volunteering at camp for disabled kids, now I dont know if I want to go, help?

Hi guys So Im in yr 12 I have achieved nothing in my whole life so I decided to get more involved in extra curricular's this year (mainly volunteering) and I volunteered for camp so I go with a bunch of other people to the the bottom of a mountain fo... View more

Hi guys So Im in yr 12 I have achieved nothing in my whole life so I decided to get more involved in extra curricular's this year (mainly volunteering) and I volunteered for camp so I go with a bunch of other people to the the bottom of a mountain for 4 days and help out and engage and interact and look after kids with disabilities (mental and physical) who wouldn't be able to go on a 'normal' camp and do activities, however Im very anxious about it and I keep worrying about not being able to sleep, there being spiders (I have panic attacks and have OCDish tendencies and obsessions about spiders, Im not allowed to take bug spray to camp and I sleep with a can of bug spray so i don't know what ill do) Im worried something will happen to one of the kids and its my fault, Im extremely health anxious (i'm never not health anxious) and im worried ill get sick or something will go wrong and ill die or the ambulance wont make it in time (it will take at least 20 min) or something similar, im also worried about the bus trip because its long and i get travel sick and i'm really scared and don't want to go but I fell bad for backing out. Also the next bit may be TMI - i have issues with my bowels and digestive system so I elevate my legs on a stool when I do a bowel movement but I cant take a stool with me so Im worried about that. I also have so much homework and so many assignments to do that i'll probably die and Im worried I wont get them done if I go on camp. I wanted to go it seemed like a good idea but now i'm really unsure, if I go im worried and stressed the whole time, but if I dont i feel like im disappointing everyone and that i'll regret not going. I have 2 days to decide, what do I do?

Jimmy_ Nothing is worth enjoying

I'm a young Aussie, I am still in high school. I constantly get bullied and treated like crap when I try to be as nice and helpful as I can, no matter what I do I'm the laughing stock of all my "friends" and peers, I try to correct my mistakes but it... View more

I'm a young Aussie, I am still in high school. I constantly get bullied and treated like crap when I try to be as nice and helpful as I can, no matter what I do I'm the laughing stock of all my "friends" and peers, I try to correct my mistakes but it only seems to get my more bullied, I always have thoughts of people coming up with jokes about me and backstabbing me. I simply just don't enjoy anything anymore, everything I do I have to make sure I don't say the wrong thing or make myself look foolish. When I try my hardest to do something and fail, I just get laughed at, so I've just simply stoped trying with everything

user_90 paranoid/feeling annoyed?

I'm gay and wanted to only coming out under my control. I trusted my parents to not say anything to anyone. I later found out my mum told her mum and sister because she was shocked and needed talk to someone. I am now really depressed because I didn'... View more

I'm gay and wanted to only coming out under my control. I trusted my parents to not say anything to anyone. I later found out my mum told her mum and sister because she was shocked and needed talk to someone. I am now really depressed because I didn't want anyone finding out expect my own family. Now I am paranoid and have trust issues and anxiety is over the roof. I suffer from OCD which makes the situation worse. My point is, even though they are both fine with it, it wasn't her place to tell anyone. I was not ready for anyone else to know, I wanted to be the one who was in control and tell others when I was ready or not say anything at all. Am I over reacting? Advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.