Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

KarmaLlama Greetings from the KarmaLlama
  • replies: 3

Hey all I find myself here after struggling to help my son navigate the fog he finds himself in. I'm sure (hoping) the collective masses can provide me with some insight and various things we can try. I am the mother of 2 teens, 15 and 16, and foster... View more

Hey all I find myself here after struggling to help my son navigate the fog he finds himself in. I'm sure (hoping) the collective masses can provide me with some insight and various things we can try. I am the mother of 2 teens, 15 and 16, and foster carer to two little ones. We live in rural Australia ... beautiful, but challenging accessing professional help. My son is 16, diagnosed ASD/Gifted and has depression. He hasn't been formally diagnosed ... but that Black Dog follows him around unrelentingly. You can see it. He can feel it. We can't fix it. He doesn't want to speak to anyone about it, including my husband and I, and I really don't know what to do. It's hella confronting because, as his mother, I've always known what to do. I feel helpless and so sad for him. He's an amazing human being and I would give anything for him to believe that truth. As with any parent, I wish I could fix it ... but I can't, so I'm here to find real and practical ways that I can help him . Where to from here?

Charding Hello
  • replies: 1

I am new to this forum. I wish to converse with others who have or are going through what I am. Two years ago I found out that my husband had been having an affair for around 15 years with the same woman. At the time we had been married for 35 years.... View more

I am new to this forum. I wish to converse with others who have or are going through what I am. Two years ago I found out that my husband had been having an affair for around 15 years with the same woman. At the time we had been married for 35 years. We decided to stay together and work through it, we have seen counsellors etc. And I must say my husband is extremely remorseful and doing his her best to work on it. I was doing well for a few months, I do tend to be down in the dumps for short periods, it's like being on a roller coaster. Right now I am in a not so good way. I have read nearly every book that's been written on infidelity, but cannot find a similar situation wherein someone's had an affair for so many years. I would love to chat to someone who has.

MummieAnnie New to This
  • replies: 2

I’m new to forums like this. Feeling overwhelmed with study, out of a job and now my 32 year old son with depression & anxiety has moved back home. I also suffer from the same and now I feel like running away!

I’m new to forums like this. Feeling overwhelmed with study, out of a job and now my 32 year old son with depression & anxiety has moved back home. I also suffer from the same and now I feel like running away!

Anxious_Cat Anxiety

I’m new to the forum so just want to explain my thoughts and share with you. I know there will be others with the same debilitating disease. Having feelings of self doubt in making decisions. Feel sick and depressed when I do go for a decision when i... View more

I’m new to the forum so just want to explain my thoughts and share with you. I know there will be others with the same debilitating disease. Having feelings of self doubt in making decisions. Feel sick and depressed when I do go for a decision when it doesn’t go the way I expected. Regretful thoughts take over . I’m a perfectionist that’s my problem everything has to be just right or not at all. I’m stuck. Even though I have lots of support they don’t understand what I’m thinking and how anxiety can rule your thoughts. I feel like a spoilt brat because I should be grateful for everything I have but when this disease takes over nothing feels right.

pspd4976 New to the forums. Need ideas or help getting back on track.
  • replies: 4

Hi guys, Might as well get this out of the way. I was recently convicted of theft. I to this day deny the charges, but in the end I was convicted. I’m not here to talk about my guilt or innocence. I’m just here to ask for help about my best step. Bef... View more

Hi guys, Might as well get this out of the way. I was recently convicted of theft. I to this day deny the charges, but in the end I was convicted. I’m not here to talk about my guilt or innocence. I’m just here to ask for help about my best step. Before and after the case I’ve been dealing with depression and since the case, due to the media coverage, yes media coverage, of the case I’ve developed extreme anxiety and almost some level of PTSD. I’m receiving treatments and I honestly feel like I’ve improved. I’m less house bound these days and the suicidal thoughts/attempts are no more. I Want to return to the ‘real world’ be it some form of training, especially work. I’d like to start earning money again. I guess the advice I am asking for is if anyone knows of a support group or agency that helps a person like me with a non violent/sexual conviction to there name? Has anyone reading this had similar issues? What did you do to get back on track? I come form a hospitality and sales background. I love working with and for people. I am a rare person who still loves customers, lol. I am currently living in rural QLD and looking to move to Brisbane ASAP, as sadly there are not much in the way of employment, regardless of my situation. Any ideas or suggestions would be amazing. Thank you for letting me sharing my rambling intro

Sjleman Hi I'm new hear
  • replies: 5

Hi everyone I honestly don't know what to say I did suffer with panic attacks and anxiety before but not as bad as I have been having alot of that's now I loss my husband in September 2019 he died 4weeks after his 40th I don't know what to do anymore... View more

Hi everyone I honestly don't know what to say I did suffer with panic attacks and anxiety before but not as bad as I have been having alot of that's now I loss my husband in September 2019 he died 4weeks after his 40th I don't know what to do anymore I have 3 kids the youngest is 3. I should be on top of things for them but I'm feeling guilty for a lot of things I would like to talk to people

Eleni_B I’m new here

I don’t no what is wrong with me I feel empty inside and cry a lot. I have no interest in anything anymore.

I don’t no what is wrong with me I feel empty inside and cry a lot. I have no interest in anything anymore.

BabyRabbit New Here, Hows everyone?
  • replies: 12

Hi everyone, I just ran down this rabbithole and found this forum during a tough moment trying to find support. Thought I give this a try, hows everyone and there experience on here?

Hi everyone, I just ran down this rabbithole and found this forum during a tough moment trying to find support. Thought I give this a try, hows everyone and there experience on here?

Handouch Ongoing battle
  • replies: 2

Hi all first time posters, but now looking at seeking all the feedback I can get! It has been quite some time since I’ve been to see someone to assist with my mental health challenges. Since the age of 12 (2003); I have experienced from what I’ve bee... View more

Hi all first time posters, but now looking at seeking all the feedback I can get! It has been quite some time since I’ve been to see someone to assist with my mental health challenges. Since the age of 12 (2003); I have experienced from what I’ve been told “General anxiety” & then at the end of 2013 a significant breakdown being diagnosed with manic depressive disorder & generalised anxiety disorder resulting in being unfit to work for a period of 3 months After being prescribed with an SNRI antidepressant and from (my very vague) memory; some stabilisers for a short period of time, this did allow me to return back to my day-to-day life. I do recall the psych mentioning that I will still continue to have my “good and bad” days although after now 6 years of these ups and downs; with periods where it is really affecting my work and personal relationships and general overall enjoyment of life, I would like to focus on being more proactive in getting further answers and information to better treat and manage this as I feel it is developing further. I have also recently started a new relationship with an amazing man who is extremely patient and supportive of my down periods, but having never had anyone that could really support me, I am finding myself withdrawing and distancing myself in fear of him getting fed up with me. Has anyone worked out a so called “anxiety crisis plan” on steps to take so the partner is feeling as helpless? Being so foggy in the head myself I’m finding it really challenging working this out After speaking further with my GP about my recent symptoms; he has suggested that I seek clarification from a Clinical Psychologist/Psychiatrist on my definite diagnosis. He said he could not comment exactly on this as he is not certified however was concerned about my mood swings and manic periods which sometimes can be diagnosed as bipolar but confused with anxiety symptoms. In hope of gaining a better understanding; I have ordered a DNA PGx test to be completed which provides information on how my body responds to medications prescribed for mental health by testing my genetics. Bottom line is; I am desperate to find a confirmation of my diagnosis and whether the anti-depressant that I am on is the best thing for me. This is more of a rant and trying to piece my thoughts together, but if anyone has had any experience with any of the above I would really appreciate any insight!