FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Returning home after fire fighting.

Guest_24
Community Member

Hi

Recently I returned from a number of deployments with the RFS in various parts of NSW. I valued the time spent doing my service in the communities that I was assigned too. However returning home I have started to struggle in a number of ways, for instance lacking concerntration at work, being forever mindful of trees, tired all the time, jumpy etc.

Im just looking for some coping strategies and or organisations or resources to get myself back to normal.

4 Replies 4

Equalitysmiles
Community Member

Firstly I want to say a huge thankyou.

Hugs and appreciation beyond measure. Understand what you are going through because of what we faced and our areas are still going through fire in different parts so for our area it has not ended yet. This is not the first time we have been through fire, but this time we have come out better than the last time.

Its going to be a journey, you are going to have your moments. But those moments do come and go.And where you end up, it depends upon where you need to go. For me its about peace and grace. For you it may be about something else. So where do you need your destination to be and that is for you to decide.

Know what you are describing is normal for what you have been through. If you want to get help and access to that help, then your doctor is the one that you need to go to, because they can refer you if you need to be referred to anyone.Without a referral it can be hard to get the help.

As for coping, we developed our ways of coping. Some healthy some not. Its a matter of keeping the healthy ways and letting the unhealthy ways go. But those moments do pass, along with the concentration issues. As for the tiredness you need rest and quiet. And being mindful of trees can lead you to have a deep regard for them. If you can see it all for what it is, and accept that, then the whole experience can turn you into a better person.But if you are already that person, then you know what it means to be better.

Take care and a huge, huge, huge, thankyou, Oh my gosh thankyou and much appreciation.

Es

Peppermintbach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,

Thank you so much for all that you’ve done for so many people & communities. I feel a lot of gratitude & respect for firefighters. That said, I also realise it’s a very high stress, demanding role that can be potentially traumatic too.

It sounds as though you’re really struggling to readjust/transition back to daily life. I feel for this rough time you’re going through...

There’s a Beyondblue thread here called Coping with Bushfires that you might find helpful...

There are numerous supportive posts on that thread. But if you’re more interested in practical advice/information about help-seeking, Nurse Jenn gives some of that in a post dated 3 February 2020 on the Coping with Bushfires thread. In that post, she provides some information about additional/new services that are available for people who have been affected by bushfires.

I think you might find that helpful...perhaps it’s worthwhile taking a look (if you like)?

If you’re interested in the thread, there’s a beyondblue link at the top of the page. Alternatively, if you type “Coping with Bushfires” in the beyondblue search bar, it should also come up that way.

Thank you again for all that you’ve done.

I haven’t been through what you have, but I care about what you’re going through, reading along & thinking of you.

Kindness and warmth,

Pepper

White_Rose
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Dear Guest_24

Hello and welcome to the forum. Like the above posters I also want to thank you for the work you have been doing. Not at all easy at the time and when you return home it seems a little unfair that you are still having difficulties. Pepper has listed a couple of helpful resources including talking to your GP.

If you go to the home page and click on the picture of the fireman it will take you to the BB site dealing with bush fires and mental health. On that page there are also links to other sites to get information and assistance. Please make use of them as fully as you can. I noticed there is a list of symptoms and changes people experience in returning home after fighting fires. They match what you have said so not be concerned that you are experiencing something different to everyone else. I never know if that is a comfort or not. For me it has always been a comfort to know I am not alone on my journey and that many others are walking their paths close to mine.

You can talk to someone from BB by phoning the 24/7 helpline 1300 22 4636. You can talk knowing you are anonymous and the person on the other end of the phone will be helpful. You want to get back to your previous life and not be troubled by these inconvenient events. While not wishing to depress you further I will observe that your experiences have already changed you. You have asked for help which is fantastic. I wonder if you would have done this before the fires.

I don't want to sound negative so that you feel you will never get well again. Just a couple of comments. Learn what you can about yourself including the fire fighting. Getting good help can be wonderful and I suspect you will be working hard on your recovery. It does take time I'm sorry to say so do not go into any therapy or other healing mechanism expecting instant change. Many people think that a couple of weeks therapy will do the trick but it does take longer. All sorts of emotions get stirred up and mixed up making a coherent story hard to follow.

Hope I have not depressed you more than you are already experiencing. Good luck on your journey and again my heartfelt thanks for your dedication.

mary

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Guest_24,

Welcome to this thread. and this supportive forum.

he previous posters have given you helpful ideas so I wont add to it.

was on the other side of the fires and helped by wonderful people like you. Alas my place was destroyed but am grateful sol many were saved.

I can not imagine what you are going through . As others have pointed out there is support. I wonder if you have colleagues who have been through a similar experience you can talk to.

have found talking to other people like me , it has helped a bit as thye understand what I have been through.

Feel free to write here any time you want. Again many thanks.

The smell of candles triggers me and I used to love candles.

am not sure what normal is but we well all be changed in someway by this fire season, some more than others.

You have insight that you need support so that is a place to start.

Quirky