Relationship and family issues

Anything to do with managing relationships and family, including parenting, separation, loneliness, divorce, family and friendships.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: 3 important tips to get the most out of this section
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following... View more

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following 3 tips: 1. Do you really want to share this with the world? This is a public forum. Are you thinking of posting something that could identify you to a friend or family member? Once you've posted, you can't delete what you've written and we don't take posts down from here unless they've broken one of our community rules. This is because our members spend a lot of time composing replies, and there is a much wider audience that gets a lot out of reading what has been written. It's not fair to ask the community for support, then ask to have it removed once you've read it so others can't also benefit. Use discretion when posting here - think about the level of detail you are sharing, and think also about who might know you are posting here. Also, please keep it clean: this is an all ages forum and explicit discussions about sexual problems are not permitted. Threads and posts of this nature will be removed and your account placed on a moderation hold. 2. What do you want to get out of posting here? Relationship and family issues are stressful. Members sometimes post here seeking advice about a relationship that has broken down, but find themselves getting upset when they don't agree with the response they get. This is a peer support forum, meaning we are not mental health professionals. We are people of all ages and backgrounds, with a wide range of life experiences. While we aim for our discussions to be conducted respectfully, people here will respond with the truth as they see it, from their own experiences and perspectives. We are not here to take sides. Offence is almost never intentional, but it can be sometimes taken. The advice you will see here is not intended to be a substitute for professional counselling. 3. What other support do you have? Most people posting on our forums (about any issue) use this space as a supplement to other supports. This forum is not and cannot be a substitute for offline supports, but it is often a good place to start the ball rolling and find the courage for seeking help. If you are relying solely on an internet forum to resolve your relationship or family issues, you are likely to be disappointed. Check out the Healthy Homes section of our Healthy Families website for further information and resources.

All discussions

n2k12 Not sure if this is the correct place for this type of question, apologies if its not, im new here and still figuring out how it all works.
  • replies: 2

about my friend.. am also wondering if am being controlled. covertly. He has been willing to help me buy items that i like, such as putting an xbox on his credit, which i pay for, i just dont have the credit to actually get it myself. and a watch, th... View more

about my friend.. am also wondering if am being controlled. covertly. He has been willing to help me buy items that i like, such as putting an xbox on his credit, which i pay for, i just dont have the credit to actually get it myself. and a watch, that monitors my health for seizures and other problems that i suffer from. i feel i am in debted to him, and if i wanted to leave the friendship, i couldnt leave. he knows full well i am loyal, and will always pay what i owe, and do the right thing. i feel he is using this knowledge to his advantage. He also gets in "funny" moods, where he acts very distant. especially if he has recently gone to visit a particular girl, and obviously has not got what he wanted from her. so he becomes moody, irritable, and closed off. i thought maybe just a bad day(s). but now i put more thought into it, carefully, i can see the facts represent themselves. she would have said no to something or acted out of his control. and he would have become agitated. he seems very ignorant to mental health problems people have. he only seems to be in any friendship for instant fun, and gratification, and for what people have. i feel he tries to put me down and control me as well. one example,:he used to let me drive his car, when he was tired. now, i am trying to get my own license, so i can be independent , and start working towards my own car, he refuses to give me driving lessons, he knows he is the only one i can rely on. he knows i can drive. i just need a refresher course, in a manual. he puts me down saying i CANT drive, and i am to clumsy. i am really not. I feel he does this so i have to depend on him for lifts, and support. i feel this is not to help me, but to boost his ego. I also had a job as cleaner, which he helped me get. when i was working there, he seemed irritated by my presence, and acted aloof. within 48 hours i was asked not to return to the employment. i was broken hearted. deep down my soul was telling me, he had been talking behind my back, and would have said something to the employer which would have influenced their decision to fire me. because i know, i worked hard, and put 110% into the job, i was happy, and independent and he did not seem to like that at all. i get a feeling he would rather see me unhappy. and when i speak to him about my issues, he acts aloof and ignorant. especially since he has moved in with a new friend, who has expensive stuff. would like feedback

Aurora_B Treating my Partner Terribly
  • replies: 1

I have adhd and depression and I’m going through a really rough patch right now. I’ll be okay and I’ll get through it. It isn’t unfamiliar territory but for the first time I’m finding myself being really hostile to my partner of 4 years. I know it’s ... View more

I have adhd and depression and I’m going through a really rough patch right now. I’ll be okay and I’ll get through it. It isn’t unfamiliar territory but for the first time I’m finding myself being really hostile to my partner of 4 years. I know it’s because of my mental state right now. For example this morning I made breakfast and he hadn’t cleaned the dishes from the dinner I made the night before, so I didn’t have the pan I needed, and I got irrationally upset about it. Called him a liar and that he never follows through on his word, things that are objectively false, and I could hear them coming out of my mouth but couldn’t stop myself saying it. We really never fight but I’m finding everything about him infuriating, for no reason at all. I feel terrible because he’s not doing anything wrong. I feel like an overfull glass and any tiny bump makes me spill. I’m super guilty about being so nasty and easily upset right now. It’s not fair on him and I really don’t know how to handle it best. He’s never dealt with mental health issues so he’s having a hard time understanding that it’s not him, it’s literally just my brain faltering right now. Anyone been through similar problems and have any advice? Or can just relate, it always feels better to know this kind of thing is a shared experience. thanks everyone

Lonely_2 Marriage falling apart
  • replies: 6

Just getting this off my chest. Husband finds fault with everything I do. I criticise his parenting. Because he can be unkind to our kids. Not abusive, but un-kind. Un-kind to me too. I have tried so hard to please. Nothing I do matters, he gets into... View more

Just getting this off my chest. Husband finds fault with everything I do. I criticise his parenting. Because he can be unkind to our kids. Not abusive, but un-kind. Un-kind to me too. I have tried so hard to please. Nothing I do matters, he gets into moods.. Today he said he wants peace and quiet. Closed the bedroom door in my face and went to sleep. I have never spoken disrespectfully of him or to him. He disrespects me a lot. And I take it...I take it all.... Why?... I am so scared of being alone. ANd All the financial stuff. And kid logistics... But I don't know if I can take any more ..

Blue_Bird2021 I asked to separate from my husband so why am I sad?
  • replies: 5

Hi My first time writing on this forum. I had been with my partner for 14yrs, married for almost 10 and 6months ago I told him i wanted a divorce. I love him, i am just not in love with him. I treat him as a friend more then a husband. I have felt th... View more

Hi My first time writing on this forum. I had been with my partner for 14yrs, married for almost 10 and 6months ago I told him i wanted a divorce. I love him, i am just not in love with him. I treat him as a friend more then a husband. I have felt this way for years. We had barely any intimacy, and if there was some it was when we were both very drunk. Tomorrow I am moving out of the house and I am constantly crying. Wondering if I have done the right thing. He seems to be ok. He tells me that he is ok and accepting of everything. Is there a chance we will be friends? The separation has been very calm. We have not had any lawyers involved. We have split everything up equally. What if I end up alone for the rest of my life? My marriage wasn't bad, I just was not happy.

Von is lost Self worth and dating
  • replies: 9

I’ve been on two dates now with this amazing guy that I met through a dating app. So far he has shown that he is the kind of person I would actually want a relationship with. I don’t have strong self-esteem/sense of self worth and these feelings of h... View more

I’ve been on two dates now with this amazing guy that I met through a dating app. So far he has shown that he is the kind of person I would actually want a relationship with. I don’t have strong self-esteem/sense of self worth and these feelings of him being way out of my league are starting to creep in. He’s into surfing, is fit and active, great sense of style, so nice and funny, and I’m worried that he might lose interest soon because I feel like I’m not at the same level as him. Does anyone have any tips on boosting their confidence at this early stage of dating because I really really don’t want my insecurities being the cause of this possible relationship ending

Emily_1991 Mother inlaw past issues, possible divorce, letting go/forgiving
  • replies: 2

Hi everyone I’m new here. My husband and I were dating for year and had no problems. Once we got engaged, my mother inlaw did some very inappropriate things and my husband (in my eyes) is a mummy’s boy who would take her side even if she did the wron... View more

Hi everyone I’m new here. My husband and I were dating for year and had no problems. Once we got engaged, my mother inlaw did some very inappropriate things and my husband (in my eyes) is a mummy’s boy who would take her side even if she did the wrong thing. It’s been almost 5 years and not much had changed. He finds it difficult to express himself. He has a lot of anger. He has been trying more but for a year now I've been doubting if this is the right choice for me. We have no children yet. We have been putting it off for years because we’re both unsure. We’ve spoken about divorcing many times. is the answer to fix the relationship between his mum and me? he tends to rise his voice, swear and name call when we get into arguments me I've told him so many times I don’t like it and it’s not respectful… I don’t know if I still haven’t forgiven what he’s done to me and maybe that’s why I've been pulling away from him for the last 5 years of our relationship. I barely speak to his mum, I’m finding it extremely hard to forgive all the things she put me through. Just thinking of having children gives me anxiety because I have a feeling she’ll go behind my back and do whatever she wants even if I lay the rules with the children. She’s gone against my values and beliefs many times. Also it’s not fair for me to avoid going to her house with the ‘possible future children’. She deserves to see them too. Maybe I need big help with forgiving her so I can let go of it all and live happily again…. thank you in advance

batticus Relationship strain - pressure to propose
  • replies: 27

Hi all I need help. I have been with my partner for nearly 5 years now. We've had a relationship with lots of ups and downs. Early in, we had issues with intimacy - I was on anti-depressants- unfortunately that resulted in difficulties on my part - s... View more

Hi all I need help. I have been with my partner for nearly 5 years now. We've had a relationship with lots of ups and downs. Early in, we had issues with intimacy - I was on anti-depressants- unfortunately that resulted in difficulties on my part - she took this very personally and became extremely upset and angry. I was screamed at on more than one occasion. This resulted in a phobia of sorts of intimacy that I still struggle with. For the almost 5 years we've been together, we were not physically intimate for most of that time. It's only been in the last few weeks that we've actually started being physically intimate, in the normal sense. Super pleased with this break-through though. The above never stopped me from loving her and we in spite of those issues, we have stayed together. I've worked very hard to try and resolve my issues - I have pre-existing moderate/severe depression, and have generally managed that well. She is a lovely person, although certainly not low maintenance - often things have to be done on her terms. This is something I've so far been able to manage, and despite there being some seriously bad times in the relationship I stayed, and we for the most part have worked through these things. A couple of years ago as a last ditch attempt to make her happy during a very dark period with her- I put an engagement ring on layby. I know this was a bad decision in hindsight, but I though that if I could prove to her I loved her enough, she would reciprocate I guess and make me feel loved. She was upset last weekend, as she didn't think we were going anywhere. She is 36 and I am 28. I love her, but I'm just not ready. We don't live together yet- we have only just started to round the corner of those physical intimacy issues. Up to that conversation I was happy with how things were going. Now I feel like I am under so much pressure. My anxiety and depression has started to spiral out of control in the last few days. I want to make all the effort I can to give her what she wants, but I don't want to do something I'm simply not ready to do just yet. I'm seeing my counsellor next week, but I'm just struggling with the pressure I'm feeling. I keep ruminating about what I should do/shouldn't do/what will be/won't be. It's like a whirlpool in my head I can't seem to escape from. I have no clarity and no plan and feel entirely hopeless. I can't bare to lose her as I love her so, but at the same time I want to propose when we've reached that point.

Bee1998 Realising I have no true friends, and am fed up with being ignored/not invited
  • replies: 3

I have been struggling lately with depression on my own. To give you a quick back story, in February this year, I lost my best friend of 10 years to suicide. Shortly after, my partner of 1 year broke up with me. Prior to all of this, I had been tryin... View more

I have been struggling lately with depression on my own. To give you a quick back story, in February this year, I lost my best friend of 10 years to suicide. Shortly after, my partner of 1 year broke up with me. Prior to all of this, I had been trying to deal with 'losing' my only full blood sibling (my older brother). He cut contact with me and my family over 3 years ago, and I haven't been able to speak to him or see him since. And it has been really hard for me, because I have been left alone every weekend for the past couple of months, due to my mum getting into a new relationship. Her partner lives an hour away, and my mum goes and stays with him at his place almost every weekend now. In saying this, I have been trying to reach out to friends, as I have recognised my mental health spiralling over the past few months. But every time I contact the few friends I have, they all either don't respond, or say they are busy/already have plans, or make up an excuse saying they are sick... These people who I thought were my friends all know about everything I have mentioned above. I feel like people just simply don't care, and don't understand how hard and lonely it is to spend every weekend by yourself in an empty house, while dealing with grief, anxiety and depression. It's getting to a point now, where I am getting extreme feelings of anger and resent towards all of these people. I thought they were my friends, but they are being selfish and uncaring. Why can't I be invited out too? Why am I not good enough for your time? Why won't you respond to me... what have I done? All of these thoughts run through my mind. But at the end of the day, I know for a fact that I am a valuable friend, and I'm not a bad person in any way. I have a heart of gold, and if these people can't see that, that's their loss. Just am fed up of everyone at the moment in all honesty.... I'm always there for everyone whether they are down, sad or happy. But I never get the same in return?..... don't know what's wrong with people honestly. And people wonder why I don't want to be here anymore.

Niks85 Being ignored and put down
  • replies: 13

Hi there Thanks heaps for listening. My husband and I have been through alot together but this past year has been unbearable. He used to be very loving and supportive of me but that all changed when he found out he couldn't have kids. We both had cou... View more

Hi there Thanks heaps for listening. My husband and I have been through alot together but this past year has been unbearable. He used to be very loving and supportive of me but that all changed when he found out he couldn't have kids. We both had counselling and decided we would do Ivf using a donor. Now we have a gorgeous little girl and he does seem to love her. Last year his company folded because of Covid and now he's just not the same person. I've tried to talk to him but he is the most stubborn man Ive ever known. He has always liked his own space which I always give him but lately it's like he just wants to be alone all the time. He ignores me and puts me down it's like I'm being punished. He doesn't believe in counselling. I'm busy looking for voluntary and paid work we just moved to the country so I can keep busy. I actually can't bare his company and I definitely don't feel loved. I have thought about leaving but I have nowhere to go. What do you do in this situation? My mum and dad came to visit us the other day and they commented on his behaviour too it was like he wanted them to leave. I'm unhappy and stuck at the same time. Any advice appreciated thanks N.

Anzee Phone tracking after DV
  • replies: 5

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about ways to find out if your phone is being tracked? My (ex) partner and I separated in January for DFV issues and we were forced to stay separated because of child protection being involved. We have bou... View more

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about ways to find out if your phone is being tracked? My (ex) partner and I separated in January for DFV issues and we were forced to stay separated because of child protection being involved. We have bought a house together and move in in a couple of weeks so are now trying to work things out. He’s slipped up a few times now and has gone back to old ways and when I tell one of my support services they say it’s a big deal and very concerning and report him. I keep telling them they’re wrong about him and denying the abuse but today I spoke to one of my support workers for the first time in a few weeks and she said there was a strange noise when I answered my phone, so hung up and called again and it happened again so she said she was feeling concerned that he was tracking my phone. I acted all blasé about it but when I got home I searched my phone and found that I had a laptop linked into my Apple ID account. I don’t have a laptop, he bought one after our separation and uses it a lot. Any knowledge about this kind of stuff would be appreciated. I don’t want to be paranoid about it but I have had a few notifications for password breaches and unsuccessful login attempts for social media so now I’m started to feel worried.