Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

AboveGreen I can still feel the tendrils of panic and fear when I'm in public
  • replies: 1

I recently moved to the USA for school and work purposes. I've been dealing with social anxiety and depression since my early teens and have tried and been prescribed several different medications that either didn't work or became habit forming. I've... View more

I recently moved to the USA for school and work purposes. I've been dealing with social anxiety and depression since my early teens and have tried and been prescribed several different medications that either didn't work or became habit forming. I've been trying to use meditation, diet, and Taiji to help bring down my anxiety and depression levels and this has helped somewhat but at times I can still feel the tendrils of panic and fear when I'm in public, especially being so far from family and friends.

Charlie04_ Performance anxiety in teenagers

Does anyone have any experience or worthwhile contacts regarding managing this in teenagers? Particularly related to school attendance.

Does anyone have any experience or worthwhile contacts regarding managing this in teenagers? Particularly related to school attendance.

Lori32 New to Beyondblue
  • replies: 7

Hi there! Just wanted to say hello to everyone and also have a bit of a vent ! I have suffered from panic disorder with agoraphobia for over 15 years Im having a bad day today not being able to control my thoughts and in turn is making me very anxiou... View more

Hi there! Just wanted to say hello to everyone and also have a bit of a vent ! I have suffered from panic disorder with agoraphobia for over 15 years Im having a bad day today not being able to control my thoughts and in turn is making me very anxious! I have read so many times that the way to beat this nightmare is to 'accept' and not fear it. Has anyone been able to do this? I thought I was accepting it but I think I hate it so much being this way that I don't really accept it at all. And also how can you not fear something that makes you feel so horrible?! Well anyway I'm trying take deep breaths and get through today! Hope you guys are doing well

JJRX2 Morning anxiety. Help please!

Hello, I'm a 31 year old mum of 4 and currently having some trouble with anxiety and what I think is some sort of depression. It's the first time I've ever felt like this and I feel so down and disconnected from my children, husband and the world. I ... View more

Hello, I'm a 31 year old mum of 4 and currently having some trouble with anxiety and what I think is some sort of depression. It's the first time I've ever felt like this and I feel so down and disconnected from my children, husband and the world. I have been to see a GP who told me to contact Anglicare and arrange to see a Counselor. My appointment with them isn't until Friday and while I wait I'm having some major problems with sleep. I am very tired and fall asleep quite early most nights. I then find I'm awake from 3am and have extreme anxiety and do not go back to sleep. I simply lay in bed very panicked and think very negative thoughts about life until I have to force myself to get up for my children. I then drag myself around until my mood lifts a little some time after lunch. I was really hoping to get a little advice to help me get through the night. It's a horrible feeling and really can't handle feeling so down. I have tried going for walks and also tried some breathing techniques but nothing is making me feel any better. I just want to feel happy again, happy about life, happy about the future.

dorothy cant get you outta my head

Hi all Started medication day 2 today took 2days off sick leave have to return back tomorrow feeling anxious++ spaced out a little still not sleeping. All that keeps repeating in my head; what if I freak out, what if I have panic attacks what if I ge... View more

Hi all Started medication day 2 today took 2days off sick leave have to return back tomorrow feeling anxious++ spaced out a little still not sleeping. All that keeps repeating in my head; what if I freak out, what if I have panic attacks what if I get dizzy, how the hell am I going to cope and hide how I am feeling. I know it's the anxiety speaking and I try so hard not to think negative thoughts but its just like that song. I know it's only early days restarting my meds I just feel so alone and frightened. I honestly don't know what is worse my depression or anxiety.

Lookingforpeace How do I control my panic??
  • replies: 2

Hi everyone this is similar to a previous post of mine. last time I was talking about how pulling over to pick up a lost dog and return it to it's owner left me in an anxious mess for the rest of the week. would you believe it has happened again !! A... View more

Hi everyone this is similar to a previous post of mine. last time I was talking about how pulling over to pick up a lost dog and return it to it's owner left me in an anxious mess for the rest of the week. would you believe it has happened again !! Again I saw a dog running down the side of a busy road and out of a whole line of traffic not one person stopped but me. I managed to catch the dog and return it to it's owner. (I think I must be a lost dog magnet!!) Again I can't stop thinking about what if I wasn't there, what if it got hit by a car, what if what if... and to make matters worse, I just found out my brother was in a serious car accident and his cars written off. He is ok thankfully but I am a total mess. I keep thinking about how one day u could be totally fine and the next day, minute, second... Ur whole life can be turned upside down. This scares me. ontop of this I'm dealing with a bully at work and just feeling so deflated, anxious, demotivated, tired. Any words of comfort or wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

pizzaking Evil Thoughts
  • replies: 2

I have many anxiety attacks, and since I've been getting them, I have been having very evil thoughts in my head. I want to be a good person, and I know I am, it's just that I want these thoughts to go away. I don't want to be a bad person. I'm just w... View more

I have many anxiety attacks, and since I've been getting them, I have been having very evil thoughts in my head. I want to be a good person, and I know I am, it's just that I want these thoughts to go away. I don't want to be a bad person. I'm just worried about not getting help, and letting these thoughts control me. The thoughts that I have are very, very bad. Sometimes they scare me. Most of the time they are about heinous doings and Satan. I am seeing a psychologist's, but I am afraid to open up to them. What should I do?

Lookingforpeace Anxious about things that haven't happened
  • replies: 4

Hi all I'm new to this forum and looking for some short-term relief before I seek professional help. I have an over-active imagination and coupled with my anxiety, I tend to imagine horrible things that haven't/may never happen. For example, the othe... View more

Hi all I'm new to this forum and looking for some short-term relief before I seek professional help. I have an over-active imagination and coupled with my anxiety, I tend to imagine horrible things that haven't/may never happen. For example, the other day I was driving on a busy road, there was a bus coming in the opposite lane and a dog ran across the road. Me and the bus both missed the dog (not really that close) and I subsequently pulled over, chased the dog down and then called the owner to come and collect him. Despite knowing that the dog was safe, I could not stop thinking about it for the next two days. What if I had hit it? I could never live with that. What if I had seen it get hit? I would never get that image out of my mind. What if I wasn't there at the right time/place, would someone else have pulled over? And it just goes on and on and on. This is just one example, but I'm like that with everything. I make sure all major electrical items are off before I leave the house because what if one of them sparks causing a fire. What if I accidentally lock myself in a room at home and would have to wait hours for someone to find me? It would be funny if it wasn't so disruptive to my life/mental health. Inevitably, these anxious thoughts always lead to what I call a "depression hangover". It's a vicious cycle. Can anyone relate and how do you deal with it?

Kell2014 Anxious about being anxious.... vicious cycle!

I went through a serious separation 18 months ago leading to my first experience with anxiety. I was absolutely decapacitated due to it. I could barely function, I couldn't work, my mum had to take leave to come and care for me. I started taking medi... View more

I went through a serious separation 18 months ago leading to my first experience with anxiety. I was absolutely decapacitated due to it. I could barely function, I couldn't work, my mum had to take leave to come and care for me. I started taking medication for 10 months and am 5 months off of taking them. Since I go through bouts of anxiety, nothing as serious as previously but now in a new relationship I find myself being anxious about the anxiety coming back should things not work. I am scared to tell him how i feel incase he doesn't feel the same way and dont want to burden family or friends with my anxiety again. So i sit here crying, feeling nausous and generally overwhelmed. I know only I can stop myself from feeling this way but its just so hard to pull myself back up after what feels like falling down again. I assume I have self worth issues that result in my questioning if / why he would want to stay with me when there isn't actually anything wrong at all in the relationship. In fact its the most functional one i've ever been in. The more I care the more I'm scared it wont work and I will end up an anxious mess again. Well I guess I already today.. I wish i could stop the negative rubbish in my mind.

HelenM I don't know where I am
  • replies: 4

A couple of weeks ago I went into a terrible fear - that I'd go right down again. My depressions have been very mild for a long time but the fear was awful. Then on the Sunday it cleared. So I did loads that week. But on Saturday (just gone) anxiety ... View more

A couple of weeks ago I went into a terrible fear - that I'd go right down again. My depressions have been very mild for a long time but the fear was awful. Then on the Sunday it cleared. So I did loads that week. But on Saturday (just gone) anxiety started kicking in. All I can think is that my mood will go down - perhaps not to the bottom but badly. My sleeps rubbish - it was just getting right again. I feel trapped. People who know me tell me this will lift. I can't believe it. It's so scary. My GP saw me recently and tells me my fear is something that might come and go. He is satisfied re my meds. And here is a worry. I have recently been changed to the generic drug from the original. I've been told that doesn't make any difference but on the internet some reports say it can. I am carrying on with my routine. But I just want to cry and I'm hyper sensitive. I feel I've got myself into a mess. I know I overdid it last week. I just don't know where I'm heading. Please can anyone give me some guidance. Helen