Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

happyannie Anxiety overload
  • replies: 2

I have agoraphobia really bad the thought of leaving the house makes me feel sick, I get all shaky, tight chest and a extreme feeling of dread. Today I have to leave the house because I have an appointment with the sleep doctor, because I have sleep ... View more

I have agoraphobia really bad the thought of leaving the house makes me feel sick, I get all shaky, tight chest and a extreme feeling of dread. Today I have to leave the house because I have an appointment with the sleep doctor, because I have sleep apnea. Its also making me anxious because I havent been to this place before, the unknown makes me feel ill. Even writing this post Im shaking. I was wondering if anyone has some tips for helping me get through this feeling. Thanx Annie

McCraggen Health anxiety
  • replies: 5

After a bout of illness recently it has triggered my health anxiety quite badly, has anyone got any ideas how to wrangle these feelings and thoughts back under control? Im 33 and male, have had a slew of tests done and all come back normal (apart fro... View more

After a bout of illness recently it has triggered my health anxiety quite badly, has anyone got any ideas how to wrangle these feelings and thoughts back under control? Im 33 and male, have had a slew of tests done and all come back normal (apart from ross river) Cheers!

Elizabeth CP Advice wanted to deal with stressful situations to reduce anxiety & its negative effects
  • replies: 21

I thought I was doing much better but while on a recent holiday I had a couple of stressful experiences which led to anxiety & my response seemed to make the situation worse. I tried discussing this with my psych yesterday but we didn't come up with ... View more

I thought I was doing much better but while on a recent holiday I had a couple of stressful experiences which led to anxiety & my response seemed to make the situation worse. I tried discussing this with my psych yesterday but we didn't come up with anything I felt would help. He tried to reassure me that my response was normal given my previous history including PTSD. We arrived at the airport after almost 24 hrs of travelling without sleep. Our luggage was lost. I had to report the loss which took ages & was stressful. By the time I arrived at the ship (we were going on a cruise) I felt really unwell sick, bloated, headache & all the symptoms of acute gastro. These physical symptoms left as soon as the luggage arrived 24 hrs later so was definitely caused by anxiety rather than a physical illness. The next day I walked into town to try to buy essentials including sunscreen & hat. I did think I should buy one spare set of clothes to tide me over but when I got to the shops I couldn't face looking for clothes to purchase. I eventually found sunscreen but gave up on everything else I needed. I returned to the ship feeling a complete failure. Any normal person would have been able to walk into the shops & buy what they needed. I seem to get overwhelmed when I feel things are out of control and seem to struggle in busy crowded places. Hot summer weather were there is a risk of getting sunburnt is a PTSD trigger for me hence sunscreen & sunhat were essentials! The other situation I faced was at another port were we were delayed getting into port so the planned excursion was cancelled. As I expected to spend the time on the excursion I hadn't worried about researching the port & had no cash on me. On arrival at the port we were inundated by people offering different tours but all required cash & a decision needed to be made immediately so no chance to get to bank & take money out. I couldn't cope with the crowds & felt overwhelmed & unable to think clearly enough to make logical plans. In the end I took off & walked out of town feeling like a failure because my behaviour was sabotaging any chance of making the best of the situation. It was like I was saying my plans have been ruined so I'll make sure I have a terrible time & spoil it for my husband as well!!! The angry, overwhelmed feelings dominated me. I can't change what happened on those days but I need to find ways to manage my anxiety better in the future when faced with other stressful situations.

Tobik Panic Attacks due to Work Related Travel & being away from partner.
  • replies: 4

Hi all, Earlier this February I have been given the opportunity to work oversees for 2-3 months as part of a work exchange program at my workplace. I keep hearing how fast this time will go by, but when I break it down to the many lonely, cold days i... View more

Hi all, Earlier this February I have been given the opportunity to work oversees for 2-3 months as part of a work exchange program at my workplace. I keep hearing how fast this time will go by, but when I break it down to the many lonely, cold days in a foreign country by myself away from my partner, I hardly think the time will fly. Having been in a very happy and loving relationship for over 4 years now, I was reluctant to take this opportunity. Both my partner and I are very dependant on one another emotionally and don't cope well after a week of separation (even days). Having shown that reluctance at once, management were willing to go for the 2 months offer and I basically left the meeting feeling like I had no choice in the matter. I have to add, I am quite an introvert attempting to behave like an extrovert and playing the leadership role because that's where my career is naturally leading me. In addition I work in a company of very aspiring individuals many of whom would jump at the opportunity, but many of whom wouldn't. When the time to book flights finally came, a few days later I told my manager that I have been feeling really distressed about the matter and would like to cancel the trip. I didn't tell my manager that I have been experiencing really bad panic attacks consisting of shortness of breath, racing heart and nights full of tears and insomnia. As a result another coworker went in my place this time and I am now expected to go at the end of the year in place of her, having been told to think about, that I might regret not going and that I should be thinking of this as an 'award'. Well in fact this feels more like punishment than an award. Either way, following further discussions with my partner we made a decision for me to go there for the sake of a career only I am not really sure where I want my career to be in 5-10 years... At this point, cancelling this trip again is embarrassing, yet ever since the news was given to me in Feb, I have not stopped getting panic attacks. It's been two months and there's 5 more to go. I feel like a weak-minded, insecure person unable to make myself heard and too embarrassed to cancel the trip yet again. I can't tell if I've got actual anxiety issues, separation issues or whatever else is causing me to feel this way. I have tried to stay positive and tell myself that it's ridiculous to feel this way. Any advice would be appreciated.

Jeck87 Anxiety! How to get back on the bandwagon again?
  • replies: 8

Hi all Anxiety is fairly new to me (I've had my new friend for approx 17 months) I've managed to get it under control for the past eight months, the months before, I was concentrating on gettinf better. A few stressful events over the last 5 months a... View more

Hi all Anxiety is fairly new to me (I've had my new friend for approx 17 months) I've managed to get it under control for the past eight months, the months before, I was concentrating on gettinf better. A few stressful events over the last 5 months and now on holidays has seen my anxiety spike again! I feel like all the positive and rewarding effort I put in over the last 17 months, I've lost faith in.... that they will not work anymore (eg. Positive thinking, taking natural products and just a general positive mindset) I'm finding it quite difficult to pull myself back out of the cycle again. Any suggestions out there?

Louisiana11 Anxiety and work issues
  • replies: 3

Hello all, this is my first post here! I am a full time uni student who recently requestsed more part time hours added to my work contract. As my anxiety and depression have been under control for quite some time and I thought I could handle it with ... View more

Hello all, this is my first post here! I am a full time uni student who recently requestsed more part time hours added to my work contract. As my anxiety and depression have been under control for quite some time and I thought I could handle it with the extra hours came more demands than I expected and now I'm back in the pit. I can sleep, my anxiety has fully taken hold again. to me uni is my number 1 priority, so I know I need to ask for a reduction in my working hours. now I'm stuck in this awful head space, I'm terrified of asking for a reduction in my shifts incase they don't take it well, but I can't keep living like this as it's effecting everything in my life if anyone could help me out, that would just be amazing thanks

McCraggen Ross River virus triggering major anxiety
  • replies: 1

G'day guys, A few weeks ago i was diagnosed with ross river, but since then i cant stop worrying theres something else wrong with me, all my bloods came back normal (twice) and i have had an ecg. I dont know what to do now, i feel like im losing it a... View more

G'day guys, A few weeks ago i was diagnosed with ross river, but since then i cant stop worrying theres something else wrong with me, all my bloods came back normal (twice) and i have had an ecg. I dont know what to do now, i feel like im losing it a bit. Any help would be amazing!

blackandwhite Struggling to find motivation: panic disorder, agoraphobia and generalised anxiety disorder.
  • replies: 6

First time poster here, desperately seeking out words of encouragement! Recently I was officially diagnosed with panic disorder, agoraphobia and GAD, although I have been struggling with it for years. I have learnt to manage the anxiety to an extent,... View more

First time poster here, desperately seeking out words of encouragement! Recently I was officially diagnosed with panic disorder, agoraphobia and GAD, although I have been struggling with it for years. I have learnt to manage the anxiety to an extent, but lately the agoraphobia and subsequent panic attacks have become debilitating. I struggle to catch the train and often have to get an all stops train in fear of being trapped, extending my daily commute to 2.5 hours each way- a trip which usually takes an hour. It is becoming exhausting and effecting so many aspects of my life. I have attempted to use the meditative devices my psychologist has suggested but these seem to fail, making me less inclined to try as I am scared of failing. I'm becoming her disheartened and feel like this is consuming my life at the moment as I'm struggling to stay on top of studies simply due to attendance. I am also struggling as I know my issues are effecting my relationship, my partner tries to help by being understanding but it's so hard to explain these things to people as I fear I sound irrational. I am determined to finish my semester of study without withdrawing, so I am posting today to get some words of wisdom or encouragement from people who have overcome acute agoraphobia or panic disorders. I want to know what your tips for having a successful journey/overcoming a panic attack or your biggest success story.

Franco Alleviating physiological impact of anxiety
  • replies: 5

Hi all, I suffer from what I would describe as a mild degree of agoraphobia and social anxiety. When I am doing something other than what I do day to day my anxiety triggers and causes physiological impacts to my body. The flight or fight reaction ca... View more

Hi all, I suffer from what I would describe as a mild degree of agoraphobia and social anxiety. When I am doing something other than what I do day to day my anxiety triggers and causes physiological impacts to my body. The flight or fight reaction causes me to feel like vomiting and a need to go to the bathroom constantly with something not far from diarrhoea. What is worse is that when I start to feel even slightly anxious my appetite goes out the window and the thought or even the action of putting food in my mouth can make me gag. Unfortunately the lack of food in my stomach no doubt contributes to the sick feeling! I'm currently of the belief that a lot of my anxiety and fear is that I will be stuck in a situation where I need to vomit or go to the bathroom and can't escape. As you can see, with all of the above considered it's a self-fulfilling cycle. After some CBT with my psychologist I understand the need for exposure therapy to combat this (it's certainly easier said than done!!) My question however, is does anyone have any suggestions for alleviating the stomach pains / upset stomach feeling / something to settle my stomach? I have a theory that if I can calm my stomach a little bit I will be able to have a real solid crack at consistently exposing myself to situations I know will make me anxious and therefore dampening my anxious reaction to these situations over time. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

SSJ Engagement Nightmare
  • replies: 6

The other day was my engagement party. Something that I was looking forward to but also dreading. On the lead up to this I have had many issues at work regarding an ex-employee making false accusations about my company and myself. It has cost a lot o... View more

The other day was my engagement party. Something that I was looking forward to but also dreading. On the lead up to this I have had many issues at work regarding an ex-employee making false accusations about my company and myself. It has cost a lot of money and time and emotional distress, cased by someone once called a friend. Engagement party was going fine, until I had to give a speech. Just thanks for coming, that type of thing. Well I had told everyone I did not want to do a speech and I was not expecting to have to. Until the microphone was handed to me.. I ended up rambling in front of everyone I know about nothing, stuttering. tried thanking someone for there help and got there name wrong. then tried to correct it and made it worse. After this I basically through the microphone and ran. I do not remember all of what happened to tell the truth. I tried to stay calm for the rest of the event but some people did comment on it. Later at the end of the night I was trying to make a joke but because my mind was locked in fear still I said something completely wrong and then again tried to fix it and said it wrong again. Since then I have locked myself away in my house in embarrassment and reliving the nightmare in my head over and over.