Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

FionaMac Anxiety is winning
  • replies: 4

Hi everyone. 22 years after being diagnosed with acute anxiety syndrome I hit the wall last night. I got to the point where I had to ring Lifeline - never even considered it before. The person I talked to was fantastic and stayed with me for almost 2... View more

Hi everyone. 22 years after being diagnosed with acute anxiety syndrome I hit the wall last night. I got to the point where I had to ring Lifeline - never even considered it before. The person I talked to was fantastic and stayed with me for almost 2 hours. Feeling frustrated and ashamed. I've tried to deal with it every way I know how. Tried medication years ago but it only worked for a short time - maybe the drugs are better now - I don't know. I also got sacked for admitting to my employer that I was on medication for it. Not sure where to go from here.

Becky087 How Do You Manage Your Anxiety?
  • replies: 6

Hi, my name is Beck, and I have Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Social Anxiety and go through bouts of depression (though my last one hasn't been for months, thankfully). I'm a full time University student, which finds me in constant social situations,... View more

Hi, my name is Beck, and I have Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Social Anxiety and go through bouts of depression (though my last one hasn't been for months, thankfully). I'm a full time University student, which finds me in constant social situations, and whilst I'm comfortable enough with the friendships I've formed and the classes I'm taking, it is a constant struggle and I always think my peers are judging me, though logically I know they're probably not. What I'm wondering is, how do all of you manage your Anxiety on a daily basis? What kinds of things do you do to interrupt the negative thought patterns? I'm only new to doing this sort of thing, I was diagnosed three years ago and have basically been in denial about it for the last two and a half, and I'm only now seeking help. My counsellor gives me all kinds of advice that she says is very helpful, but I want to hear from those who know what it's like, do they really work? Any advice would be appreciated!

Max26 Social Anxiety

Hey, this is my first post here... not sure really how this thing goes, but I'll give it a try. I suffer from social anxiety among other things, but I have to say this one is the most disabling one on my life. Im 25 and feeling the pressures of socie... View more

Hey, this is my first post here... not sure really how this thing goes, but I'll give it a try. I suffer from social anxiety among other things, but I have to say this one is the most disabling one on my life. Im 25 and feeling the pressures of society on my shoulders, I can also feel my anxiety holding me back. I feel as if I'm living my life on the sidelines. I want to break this habit, I don't want to be to scared to pursue a career or anything else because I'm afraid. Just not don't where to start...

Sophie3 Food Insecurity - Unlinked to Eating Disorders
  • replies: 3

Hi there! Advice Needed​! I was seeking some advice from anyone who can relate to my situation. TLDR; I constantly think about what I'm going to eat next, and it affects my life to the degree that I think about food while talking to friends or watchi... View more

Hi there! Advice Needed​! I was seeking some advice from anyone who can relate to my situation. TLDR; I constantly think about what I'm going to eat next, and it affects my life to the degree that I think about food while talking to friends or watching movies. I'm scared the problem will evolve into something more serious when I leave home. I need tips on how to become less anxious that I won't receive my next meal. Background: As a young child, I had many intolerances for food and as a result have always craved foods I couldn't get much of, usually sweets and breads. I have had anxiety for my whole life, in varying degrees throughout. I have never had an eating disorder. The Situation Now: I'm 17 now and I'm doing pretty okay. However, I struggle with healthy eating, and binge eating. I constantly think about food and always have. Even when involved in a different activity, thoughts of food and what I will eat next greatly distract me from the task at hand. I am currently, and always have been, a healthy weight for my age and do not suffer any weight-related health problems.

upsidedownalice How do you stop yourself saying mean things to your partner when you've been triggered?
  • replies: 2

I have anxiety and PTSD as a result of a crappy upbringing (I was raised by a narcissist with BPD - it was pretty awful). As is often the case with anxiety, I am often triggered by things my partner says or does. Suddenly I find myself in deep anxiet... View more

I have anxiety and PTSD as a result of a crappy upbringing (I was raised by a narcissist with BPD - it was pretty awful). As is often the case with anxiety, I am often triggered by things my partner says or does. Suddenly I find myself in deep anxiety quite suddenly and without warning for either of us. I tend to verbally lash out and make mean and unfair allegations and claims, which I regret later, once I've calmed down and done my CBT exercises. As an example, last night my partner asked me to put down my phone as we were sitting down to watch a movie after putting the kids to bed. I was already feeling a bit stressed due to the conversation I was engaged in online and when he 'told me what to do' I was instantly triggered. I told him to stop controlling me and that I deserve to have a life outside of our relationship. And other such unfair statements. I'd love to hear from other people who do this and what you may have found helps you rein it in while in the moment. Also if anyone has suggestions for how to snap myself out of it when I'm triggered, and / or learn to recognise I'm not under attack that would be much appreciated. I'm finding it's really damaging my relationship. : (

Jimbo86 Ads
  • replies: 2

Best medication for ocd anxiety

Best medication for ocd anxiety

DPK Breakdown at work...What to do?

5 months ago I was promoted to a higher up position covering a maternity leave contract... I have found it incredibly stressful and am struggling to keep on top of the workload. I barely sleep through the night and am constantly on edge. I have decid... View more

5 months ago I was promoted to a higher up position covering a maternity leave contract... I have found it incredibly stressful and am struggling to keep on top of the workload. I barely sleep through the night and am constantly on edge. I have decided I want to return to my nominal role. I had a meeting with my boss where I broke down and requested to go back... he was supportive and said he would make enquiries about whether I could go back to my old role and when. I am in an absolute panic about this decision... how bad it will look... how I've let everyone down I don't know how to handle this.

Bulletin_Board_Archive Fear of being sick :((
  • replies: 34

Originally posted by: Angel on 15 February 2013Hi there, my name is angel, i am female and i am 22. This is been the first time I am writing about my issue and it is very hard to admit. I have a severe phobia. That is of being sick. Not just getting ... View more

Originally posted by: Angel on 15 February 2013Hi there, my name is angel, i am female and i am 22. This is been the first time I am writing about my issue and it is very hard to admit. I have a severe phobia. That is of being sick. Not just getting sick like cold or flu, but nausea and throwing up. I don't know where this phobia came from but it has plagued my life for the past 5 years. I constantly have anxiety after I eat a meal. I convince myself I'm going to throw it up. My mind convinces me that I am and I start getting hardcore nausea. I won't even be sick, but I will think about it so much I ACTUALLY think I'm going to throw up. My chest tightens, I can't breathe, I start shivering and shaking and my heart races. I have to take benzodiazepines to calm down from the thoughts. i avoid social situations as MUCH as I can in case I feel like throwing up. I eat one meal a day and the smallest bit and I convince myself that there's no way I could throw up if my stomachs empty. I feel so ashamed to have this phobia. Nobody knows. No one. Not a single soul. I beat myself up at work after I eat even the smallest thing. I dont eat breakfast in case i am going to throw up on the train ride to work. im constantly taking tablets (to stop nausea) because I have nausea EVERY SINGLE MIN of the day and night. I am so physically and mentally drained. I want the psychotic thoughts about vomiting to stop. I feel like there is a devil in my head that does this to me, even if i go one SECOND and busy myself with something else, it will creep up on me Again. and again and again. This phobia is so severe I am so drained I want to kill myself just to stop the thoughts and fear. From the second I wake up to the second I fall asleep I'm fearing I'm going to vomit. I wake up in the middle of the night from anxiety and i think omg what if i throw up right now? its making me insane actually insane. I'm always so hungry but I torture myself so much about being sick that I don't touch food. :( is there anyone else out there like this? I feel like an alien. How can someone obsess over something so normal to the human being? Please someone help me. Is this a normal phobia?...?... i don't even know where to start for help because I am SO ashamed and embarrassed to have this phobia. Whoever has been so kind to read this please don't think I am a freak, I'm just in desperate need of help I don't know what to do Any thoughts will be appreciated xx

Rhu Anxiety and work
  • replies: 9

Hi all, I started a new full time job this year, and I've been struggling to keep up with the workload and have been underperforming badly. I often feel spaced out and overwhelmed, and my senior colleagues keep having to tell me off for the same matt... View more

Hi all, I started a new full time job this year, and I've been struggling to keep up with the workload and have been underperforming badly. I often feel spaced out and overwhelmed, and my senior colleagues keep having to tell me off for the same matter over and over again. Now my boss has told me if I fail to improve in the next month, I'm going to lose my job. I've been having anxiety issues and low mood for several weeks, which affects my performance at work, and this has contributed to my stress and anxiety levels. I often feel miserable or ready to burst into tears at the slightest mistake, and I'm terrified of losing my job or having a breakdown. Anyone have advise on how to deal with this?

MissBenthos Food addiction
  • replies: 5

Hi all, I recently listened to a Hack episode on triple j about food addiction. It really resonated with me. It seems addiction is associated with drugs, alcohol and gambling and no one talks about the possibilities of being addicted to other things ... View more

Hi all, I recently listened to a Hack episode on triple j about food addiction. It really resonated with me. It seems addiction is associated with drugs, alcohol and gambling and no one talks about the possibilities of being addicted to other things so it never occurred to me that I could have a food addiction. I knew I had a problem with food but I never seemed to meet the criteria for an eating disorder. I remember explaining food concerns to my psych and thinking back on it she was asking questions to see if I might have an eating disorder but not an addiction. And another time she asked about my coping strategies, one of them I explained was food, she told me this was good. Was it really? I have been fairly well lately and not relying so much on food these days but still overeat on bad days.