Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

yarnartisan Nervous Newby
  • replies: 3

Hi this is my first post and its a bit scary, to make the step from living in a world where my anxiety and depression has a stigma attached to one where I'm hoping to feel accepted for what I 'have' because I'm finally realising it's part of who I am... View more

Hi this is my first post and its a bit scary, to make the step from living in a world where my anxiety and depression has a stigma attached to one where I'm hoping to feel accepted for what I 'have' because I'm finally realising it's part of who I am. I have an inherited poor serontin uptake, and a variety of crisis through my life , the last few years I've had a lot of work related injuries in a very high stress work environment, which led to me becoming suicidal and being diagnosed with Acute stress disorder. This led to me changing workplaces and various other changes in my life. Lots of Psychological help plus drug increases but eventually getting to a point where I was able to start getting myself on a wellness schedule/ practice whatever that works for me, my GP's and Pshychologist. I'm currently going through a bad patch and knew I needed time off work to self-care and couldn't get into either of my normal GP's , who know my history and are great. So had to see the doctor available, who was listening but not hearing me,at all. she was was more interested in updating my drug records than reading my actual history even when I refered to it several times. Felt like she was going through the motions and ticking boxes. Luckily I had filled out your K-10 and printed it off to take with me and she took far more notice of that than anything I actually said. Frustrating as all hell, and made me feel disempowered and like a number not a person. So I decided to take what for me is a huge step and join the forum. I'm hoping here I'll feel safe to talk and not feel as much guilt and weakness and a sense of failure that feel everywhere in the real world. Dont know how much sense this is making or whether it's the right way to introduce myself but I do know it's hard type when your hands are shaking.

Edna Group support groups

Hi, I have just joined. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety. Is there any group support in Sydney ? Thankyou Edna

Hi, I have just joined. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety. Is there any group support in Sydney ? Thankyou Edna

shakira new here
  • replies: 2

Hi everyone my name is shakira this is my first time using beyond blue, i guess i need someone to talk to and people who do not judge

Hi everyone my name is shakira this is my first time using beyond blue, i guess i need someone to talk to and people who do not judge

Margaretaville Videos for teenagers
  • replies: 1

Could you please advise where I can access videos regard the Black Dog that will be be revelation to teenager. I am involved with Regional Youth Bus and want to access videos and other printed material that can be watched (5 big screen televisions in... View more

Could you please advise where I can access videos regard the Black Dog that will be be revelation to teenager. I am involved with Regional Youth Bus and want to access videos and other printed material that can be watched (5 big screen televisions in the bus ) or given to teenagers.

MsPhoenix Need to reach out...finally

Hi all, my story is probably similar to some of you hear, but I need to tell it anyway, in a summarized version.I am in my late 40's and on marriage no3. I have 3 children of my own and 2 steps. The steps live with their dad and i and because of this... View more

Hi all, my story is probably similar to some of you hear, but I need to tell it anyway, in a summarized version.I am in my late 40's and on marriage no3. I have 3 children of my own and 2 steps. The steps live with their dad and i and because of this my own children who range from 16 - 25 refuse to include me in their lives, my own parents or sibling don't want me in their lives either.I know that i need to focus on what is under my roof but because of my own family ostracizing me I can't get past the sadness and feeling of a loss of identity. I know that this sound melodramatic but you bring 3 kids in the world and now nothing to show for it, it's tough. My husband has been understanding to a point but is now considering leaving me too. Im on meds for my depression with the occasional benzodiazepines to get me thru bad days. I'm just reaching out here because i don't know where yo start. Naturally there is soooo much more to my story but just someone who can 'take me under their wing' would be a fantastic start.I need to stop crying one day.

Sharnz Just realising that how I feel has a title
  • replies: 4

Where to start…for such a long time I have been trying to reject this feeling, Its just a bad day, I haven't had enough sleep, everyone has tough times, their are people worse off then me, I should be Happy!!!! Sound all too familiar?! For so long I ... View more

Where to start…for such a long time I have been trying to reject this feeling, Its just a bad day, I haven't had enough sleep, everyone has tough times, their are people worse off then me, I should be Happy!!!! Sound all too familiar?! For so long I have felt that I have been able to control the feelings but now I feel like the feelings are controlling me. When the days are good they are good! But when just a slight bit of pressure or something goes wrong all the demons creep out. My heart races, my anger explodes, my negative thoughts spiral & I just can't find a way out. I push away my husband, my kids and feel as though everyone would be better off without me when deep in my heart that is not the truth nor is it what I want. I want to be the best version of myself, a good mum and a great wife. I've just taken the first steps by joining here & making my first Physcologist app. No meds as yet as I am very sceptical.

Caiphus I'm Caiphus and I'm awesome except for the mental illness part...
  • replies: 5

Hi. I'm Caiphus and I was first diagnosed with depression when I was 15 - I'm 33 now and although there have been a few patches of relief over the years in between I have spent the majority of that time on one SSRI medication or another and unfortuna... View more

Hi. I'm Caiphus and I was first diagnosed with depression when I was 15 - I'm 33 now and although there have been a few patches of relief over the years in between I have spent the majority of that time on one SSRI medication or another and unfortunately with very little benefit.Despite struggling against a persistent depression for close to two decades I know there are a lot of positives about me and I can alleviate some of my symptoms occasionally by reminding myself (when it isn't so bad that I don't feel like I'm just delusional and lying to myself anyway.)The one thing that is equally a gift and a burden is my high level intellect and self-awareness. It is good to be able to absorb, analyse and deconstruct large quantities of information. At the same time the biggest problem I have to solve is myself so I spend way to much time internally focused and putting all that computational power into an unsolvable problem.In my late teens and early twenties I just wanted to party my way out of depression and that wasn't particularly successful. Like many of us I indulged in drugs and alcohol as a way to self medicate; was directionless and unstable and dropped out of uni twice.The next eight or so years were about working out how I could stay middle-class without a professional education so I tried to make money by working in transient commission sales jobs. I did quite well during different periods, but over all it was really something that allowed me to be unstable and not get fired. When I did perform well I blew all the money very quickly, and when I wasn't performing well it was easy to put down to a lack of "motivation". Pro tip: don't put yourself in debt trying to motivate yourself to activity - it doesn't work and definitely doesn't make you feel better.About five years ago I hit rock-bottom and I have steadily been building up from there. I have been in a mostly happy and stable relationship, I went back to university and graduated with a Bachelor of Journalism (despite a few issues).The last 18 months after graduating have been hard as I have not had much luck getting in to my chosen career. I've been finding it hard to project an air of confidence and struggling with anxiety to follow up networks.I've just recently began ketamine treatment after a lot of positive media coverage. It's hard to say how well it works when coming off antidepressants at the same time.Running out of characters, so ask me anything: I'm an open book.

beachbliss Hey name is Pip
  • replies: 1

where do we start..... I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder 11yrs ago and am still fully medicated. Its just nice to see other ppl going through the same debilitating illness... I don't feel alone.. even though at the time of the attack I do! Its also... View more

where do we start..... I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder 11yrs ago and am still fully medicated. Its just nice to see other ppl going through the same debilitating illness... I don't feel alone.. even though at the time of the attack I do! Its also so much harder being a single parent, my mum and dad were my biggest support system regarding my kids, until the last year, my dad is very sick and mum is his full time carer... so feel very alone.. It would be so awesome to be able to set up a buddy system, as there is no way I would be able to get on the computer and type as the hit so quick and usually without warning.. Interested in what everyones thoughts are??

HappyhippieMelly Workshops? Getting involved!

Hi, I'm Melly and I'm looking to get involved somehow. I don't know where to start but I have this burning passion inside my heart to help others. I have delt with depression and anxiety for the last 10 years of my life. ( I'm now 25) i have watched ... View more

Hi, I'm Melly and I'm looking to get involved somehow. I don't know where to start but I have this burning passion inside my heart to help others. I have delt with depression and anxiety for the last 10 years of my life. ( I'm now 25) i have watched loved ones take their lives and loved ones struggle daily. I've had older women come to me for advice and I've used my struggles to help inspire those around me. I'm hoping there's more I can do to help bring awareness and unity through our hard times. Im based in Melbourne if there's anything workshops seminars anything to point me in the right direction I'd be so grateful Sending love xx

LostNotFound Introducing... Me!!!

Hi all, So, where to start, just through some of the threads I've looked over I'm seeing people in similar positions. I'm 31, married, 3 kids. Everyone tells me I should be happy and thankful that I have that. Which, for the most part I am. What I st... View more

Hi all, So, where to start, just through some of the threads I've looked over I'm seeing people in similar positions. I'm 31, married, 3 kids. Everyone tells me I should be happy and thankful that I have that. Which, for the most part I am. What I struggle with is that I feel like a failure, I don't seem to be moving anywhere with my job, I thought I had beaten all of my issues from growing up, but I hadn't. I don't have friends, too many bad experiences have left me finding it difficult to trust. All the people in my life see me as their rock, including those who should have been mine. My wife has her own issues which we have been working through for the entirety of our relationship (13 years). In recent times I've lost my centre and now everything I thought I had resolved for myself has started flooding out. I've not been diagnosed with depression, but I know that I am. I've not been diagnosed with asbergers but my family have decided that I have it. Everytime I do something or I'm not coping they chalk it down to asbergers. I'm hoping that I can start healing by letting out my frustrations, hurts and my feelings of being lost.