Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Jos30 Another chapter in the book of my life
  • replies: 1

Firstly I just want to thank Beyond Blue for being such an amazing and supportive organisation to introduce the ability to share with others online who feel the same as you. When you walk around with a such a strong swirling mixture of thoughts and e... View more

Firstly I just want to thank Beyond Blue for being such an amazing and supportive organisation to introduce the ability to share with others online who feel the same as you. When you walk around with a such a strong swirling mixture of thoughts and emotions that don't seem rational and you feel like you are going crazy, to be able to read so clearly my thoughts and feelings expressed by others makes me feel human again.I've dealt with depression for as long as I can remember. I was fortunate to be raised by 2 wonderful and loving parents that always taught me to be respectful, and caring of others. They taught me right from wrong and that it's ok to be different as long as you can achieve your goals and do what you believe is right. So when I was in school at a young age I guess given my choices to do the right thing and not follow the crowd, I was bullied everyday, both physically and mentally. I did not know how to make friends from an early age and became used to being on my own. I can recall after an appointment with the principle of that school with my mum and myself regarding my bullying issues, how my mother yelled at me to try harder. I was upset by her anger but even as a child I know she was angry at herself for feeling she may have raised me wrong. When it was time to look into high schooling my parents moved me from that school to a private school. The bullying stopped, but I was not equipped with an understanding or ability to make new friends, especially for that first year. I belittled myself in front of others to try to make them laugh, and when boys showed signs of affection to me, I yelled at them and told them to rack off. Overtime I made friends, some which I have even today, but it was a tough time. Sorry about the life story there! Even writing it down I'm understanding more about myself today as I share this with you. I have had relationships here and there. As a 30 year old girl though I feel incredibly lonely and without companions to function. I actually enjoy work as I get to be around others that banter and chat with me like a friend. When I'm outside of work I lock myself into my room on many occasions as my anxiety can get the best of me.I'd like to use this forum here to tell you a bit about myself and my chapters of life. You can read my posts or you can ignore them. I even now feel a little selfish talking all about me, but I hope that if you follow my posts you may get something out of it, as I do from reading others

Sawyer Good to be here
  • replies: 6

Hi Everyone, I've been meaning to get involved with BeyondBlue for a while, I think we can all agree that the work they do is pretty incredible. I was directed to these forums after asking how I could get involved and after glancing through the forum... View more

Hi Everyone, I've been meaning to get involved with BeyondBlue for a while, I think we can all agree that the work they do is pretty incredible. I was directed to these forums after asking how I could get involved and after glancing through the forums I have to say i'm blown away by the stories and support that you all share here. Talking about mental illness, and beginning to reduce the stigma around issues like depression and anxiety, encourages the sort of Australia where individuals will no longer feel embarrassed for sharing their struggle, or admitting that they need support. So a little about me. I have always been interested in mental health awareness and treatment, even before I started my studies. I am a post graduate psychology student now. And I struggled with depression for several years, which spiked quite severely during my undergrad. It took me a long time to realise how to get out of my situation, it seemed like the world hated me or so I thought. But I realise now that while bad things happened in my life, it was my choice to let them affect me the way they did. That was a year or two ago, and now i'm proud to say that happier than I have been in a very long time. I feel more confident with myself, as individual and within relationships and this has really reflected positively on my life in a lot of ways. I am looking forward to talking to many of you through the forums and I will do my best to be regularly available. I am always happy to chat or offer advice to anyone who is struggling or just needs someone to listen. Nice to meet you all, And I hope that my personal and professional experience, can be of service to this community. Kind Regards, Sawyer

Jessicat Intro from Jessicat
  • replies: 5

Hi all, I'm new here but I joined in the hope of connecting to others in a similar position, while contributing to a passion of mine (helping others overcome mental illness). I'm 23 and have suffered depression and anxiety (and all the wonderful tria... View more

Hi all, I'm new here but I joined in the hope of connecting to others in a similar position, while contributing to a passion of mine (helping others overcome mental illness). I'm 23 and have suffered depression and anxiety (and all the wonderful trials that go with them both) since I was a young teen. Recently my ex broke up with me for numerous reasons but the 2 primary ones being my mental illness and his infidelity. I am 35 weeks pregnant with his child and feel I have lost everything in the blink of an eye. the break up took my friends, my home, my financial security, my hope and goals for the future, my sense of who I was, and all that I was living for. My panic attacks have returned as has the overwhelming feeling that I am a "bad person" and shouldn't be allowed here on this earth. I feel that the pain isn't worth it and that the future is too bleak and painful to consider staying around. These feelings have surrounded me for most of my life, however they've returned to a horrible extent after this massive setback. But amongst all this there are rare and fleeting moments of hope where I feel I can be happy again with a new love, life, and well being, and while those moments are rare, they currently hold me together. I have a great support network of family and mental health workers who are helping me through this tough time in my life though through this I hope to connect to others, hopefully make some new friends of my own, share my story, and continue my life long goal of reaching peace with my depression and anxiety... to become acquaintances with them rather than hiding from them.

Brit_in_Sydney Hi
  • replies: 2

Hi,I'm 47yo and live in Sydney and at times suffer from Anxiety.Im interested in chatting with others,my interests include playing guitar,movies,hard rock,travelling.

Hi,I'm 47yo and live in Sydney and at times suffer from Anxiety.Im interested in chatting with others,my interests include playing guitar,movies,hard rock,travelling.

geoff NEW MEMBERS

There are on many occasions we have new members who areso kind to reply to a person, but also have some form of depression, and this extends to many other illness's that are associated with this disease, but are too afraid to post their own comment, ... View more

There are on many occasions we have new members who areso kind to reply to a person, but also have some form of depression, and this extends to many other illness's that are associated with this disease, but are too afraid to post their own comment, which is a real shame, because they are hurting so badly inside, so I implore you to come back and post your own comment. You can't suffer by yourself with this illness, because it only gets deeper and deeper for you to try and handle all those problems that just won't go away, so please I'm almost begging you to post a new thread. This thread of mine won't be on page 1 for too long, as it will keep getting pushed down the list and end up on page 2, and then page 3. There are too many names to mention that only have had one reply to someone else seeking help, and even if I mentioned a few, it would be so easy to miss someone out, so that wouldn't be appropriate for me to even begin. So please consider joining us and we will endeavour to do all we can to try and help you. Geoff.

yona The story of my life up until now
  • replies: 2

My life starting in the early 80s I have one brother and one sister my parents broke up when I was two. My father hit my mother some times but they had some happy times. Then not long after she met my step father and a year later they got marryed. My... View more

My life starting in the early 80s I have one brother and one sister my parents broke up when I was two. My father hit my mother some times but they had some happy times. Then not long after she met my step father and a year later they got marryed. My step father has been great to me and he is dad me and him have been having some ups and downs our selfs. Then when I was about 8 my mum got hurt at work she was a nurse by one of the patience in a bad way very bad. Right through my teens she was in and out of hospitals and it was very hard on all of us. I spent a lot of my teens at home alone because mum was where she was sister and brother doing there own thing and dad running a restuaurant. so I was very lonely. Then when I was 18 we moved to Tasmania we all moved there to have time out it was time out of ten years. I found I did not cope with stress and stoped working ,My sister found out things at last that were wrong with her health which she had been trying to work out for years Mum told us more things about her child hood that were not very nice some things about her father and that she has bipolar. My father has problems that he still will not talk about. So in 2007 we moved to Victoria dad did not want to move but did it for ever body else that is what he says but who knows. My at 31 my sister went back to work pushed to do so by my father and then in time moved out of home my father is for ever getting the shits with her but loves her. Me moved here when 27 do not cope with stress do not work live at home with parents feel that I am in the way I always mum and dad say I am more then welcome feel that if I was not around that the two of them would be a lot happier. I also found out that I had aspergers when I was 28 but my mother did not tell me for two years. And I have problems even liking my self and some times at loger heads with my father. as For my father I do not know because he never talks to anyone. Oh sorry I forgot my brother he is in the arm he left home at 18 and miss out on all the stress. But as for the me I am blaming my self for everything that goes wrong in the house of me,mum and dad I just find it easyer to just take the blame and in doing that give my self more stress which in saying that I think that is Y I drink to relax and escape. That is just some of it.

Kanye Keith
  • replies: 3

Hi,everyone.Im not really sure how this site works yet.i found it looking up info on ocd and I want help.thank you

Hi,everyone.Im not really sure how this site works yet.i found it looking up info on ocd and I want help.thank you

Hello_world Hello world
  • replies: 1

I have been wanting to connect with people about my anxiety/depression so I hope this website can help in some way. My name is Cass. I am 24 years old and have lived with depression and anxiety since I was 17. I have always been the sensitive and hig... View more

I have been wanting to connect with people about my anxiety/depression so I hope this website can help in some way. My name is Cass. I am 24 years old and have lived with depression and anxiety since I was 17. I have always been the sensitive and highly strung person so in hindsight it makes sense that I would be so susceptible. My issues began like any teenager..friends..I had the same group of friends my whole life and I noticed that I wasn't fitting, in fact I was different to them and more mature. But despite psychotherapy and people telling me this happens, I grieved, and I continue to grieve, even though I logically understood and didnt want to be associated with those people anymore. I started on medication which helped take the edge off constant anxiety and I continue to use it today. I finished school, started university and had my first real breakup. I had a few friends through this process, all from different circles in my life and they helped a lot. I had a good uni experience, made friends but I still feel as though I don't fit in (or that they care about me). It has continued to the work place. My moods will constantly vary (I have dark and happy days), I am constantly anxious, I doubt myself at work and need constant reassurance that I am doing really well (I can't be doing anything just ok I have to be the best or I will become very anxious), it has gotten to the point where I hear people compliment other staff members in general group conversation and I think I am horrible at what I do. HOW DOES THAT MAKE SENSE?!?! I have a loving partner of two years and a few close friends I could tell anything too, I should think myself very lucky. But why do I continue to do this to myself? As I said previously, I am currently taking medication, have used psychotherapy in the past (my psychologist has moved and I haven't found anyone as good as her since otherwise I would continue), I have tried mindfulness which I love but that and things like exercise I struggle to bother doing. If I could connect with a few people on here, hear their stories, and gain so insight into what can help me, or motivate me to continue to improve my anxious/depressed moods I think I would be relieved and very grateful. Thanks for reading