Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Louise34 I'm new on here and battling with chronic pain
  • replies: 1

Hi everyone. I am new on here and thought I would try something new and share my story. I am 34, have a successful career, great friends, a house and a beautiful Border Collie to keep me company. But i also struggle every day with chronic pain and an... View more

Hi everyone. I am new on here and thought I would try something new and share my story. I am 34, have a successful career, great friends, a house and a beautiful Border Collie to keep me company. But i also struggle every day with chronic pain and an anxiety disorder. At the moment I have been going through a major pain episode and it feels like everything is a little too much. I'm usually the person who is there to support everyone else so its hard for me to reach out to my family and friends as i don't want to be a burden. So here I am.

Britbear New to This...kinda blue but its cold
  • replies: 14

Hello everyone, Thought Id say hello even though I've been lingering in the background for a few months. It's been informative reading the updates and what stuff people are going through. I have been battling a lot lately with being down and left out... View more

Hello everyone, Thought Id say hello even though I've been lingering in the background for a few months. It's been informative reading the updates and what stuff people are going through. I have been battling a lot lately with being down and left out and rejected quite a bit. I belong to the gay community and find it kinda sad that it's become harder to meet people who will make the effort to do the simple things like coffee and brunch. I'm an up kind of guy and think I'm friendly inviting people out left right and centre but to no avail. Its kinda getting repetitive and I find myself repeating past hurts and repetitive actions and responses when people let me down. Ive become wary and find it hard to trust new friends etc and its doin my head in.It kinda tears me up inside and some days its a struggle. What do you thing is my best options? Ive tried so hard to be inclusive but cant feel the same way instead.

Feelingsad60 Hi everyone, I'm a newbie in here.
  • replies: 3

I'm so new I'm not even sure if I'm posting in the right place. Please feel free to delete if I'm in the wrong area. Just wanted to say hi to everyone, and hope someone is having a great day. Not sure where to post something about myself and what I a... View more

I'm so new I'm not even sure if I'm posting in the right place. Please feel free to delete if I'm in the wrong area. Just wanted to say hi to everyone, and hope someone is having a great day. Not sure where to post something about myself and what I am feeling.

Stressed4nothing New here - hi
  • replies: 2

First post. I have been dealing with depression /anxiety for about 15+ years. I was bullied as a fat kid and never really felt like I fit in then at age 22 my father commit suicide. I had a lot of counselling post that and learnt to get anxiety and d... View more

First post. I have been dealing with depression /anxiety for about 15+ years. I was bullied as a fat kid and never really felt like I fit in then at age 22 my father commit suicide. I had a lot of counselling post that and learnt to get anxiety and depression under control. I actually had a few years where I felt more alive than ever after he went. My main concern is these days (it's been creeping back up) is that I will end up like my father - alcoholic and on the brink. I think about it a lot. My wife is heavily pregnant and I am making her very nervous because I am acting 'childish' in her eyes - she says its like I act like I have missed out on my youth and that she is worried I wont love our child. It is a planned baby and I am ready to be a father, I am just not as into being overly prepared as her - I feel that parenting will come naturally. I just want us to remain active once the baby comes and not become couch potato parents that work and come home to the kids, sleep repeat. I saw my parents do that and it eventually sent them both insane. I'd rather get out after work and see a movie or visit friends - we have a lot of arguments about our clash of opinions on friends and their involvement in life. I would rather have friends around me all the time, she is happy with 2-3 hours a week. I feel that the lack of time I spend with friends these days has meant that I don't get enough time to air my dirty laundry so I bottle all of this inside till I crack with her. Man I wish I could explain this to her and just have her understand. She sees my attempts at explaining to her as her company not being sufficient and so it just stays inside. I am not sleeping well either - I dream about work a lot and what I 'should have said' in situations. I beat myself up a lot - to the point that when I am in meetings, I totally lose my train of thought and can't concentrate - instead I am thinking about what I should say that would be witty and make people like me. It's just like being at school again. I am ambitious but I have not been able to get very far in my career as I struggle to network. I don't blame people for keeping their distance from me - my anxiousness comes off quite strongly. I feel like I have become such a weirdo. I even go so far as to keep jumping on the latest fad - both in work and leisure to try impress people. I say and do such random things and later on just hate myself for it. I wish I could just keep a straight path. chat soon all

Shazzydoll New and Confused

Hi I read the rules and its really hard for me sometimes to focus in reading.. I have Severe PTSD ,Anxiety Depression, Agoraphobia, Social phobia, I also suffer from Chronic Pain from accidents.. Ive been hit by drunk drivers three times! Then trying... View more

Hi I read the rules and its really hard for me sometimes to focus in reading.. I have Severe PTSD ,Anxiety Depression, Agoraphobia, Social phobia, I also suffer from Chronic Pain from accidents.. Ive been hit by drunk drivers three times! Then trying to stop an ex boyfriend driving I stupidly got in the vehicle.. I couldn't get him to go home.. he kept driving while I tried convincing him to let me drive.. He passed out driving on a snowy night we went through guard rails and went down 14ft down a mountain side..... I will never forget that night.. The roads terrify me now... I also have SVT (supervantricular Tachyardia). Ive been through so much abuse through my life.. Now I finally found someone and been married to him for 6 1/2 years now.. But I'm still sick! I want to work but no one responds to my resumes.. I feel hopeless....... =( Is it because something is wrong with me? Do people notice? =(

tim41 New Person, need some help
  • replies: 7

Hi, totally new to depression and anxiety, have been to doctors and have gave me tablets and booked into to talk to somebody next week, looking re-assurance that I can recover from this, thanks in advance.

Hi, totally new to depression and anxiety, have been to doctors and have gave me tablets and booked into to talk to somebody next week, looking re-assurance that I can recover from this, thanks in advance.

Roadsy Trying to stay strong

Hi. I've suffered depression on and off since I was seventeen. Most of it was triggered by situational circumstances and stress. I've had lots of therapy and mostly I can manage it. This year though has been very difficult for me. My three children 1... View more

Hi. I've suffered depression on and off since I was seventeen. Most of it was triggered by situational circumstances and stress. I've had lots of therapy and mostly I can manage it. This year though has been very difficult for me. My three children 13 15 and 21 decided that they wanted to live with their dad. I did not take it well. He is not a bad person and is a good dad. Their are no rules at his house though. I did not and still can't feel ok about it. He is never been good at communicating and I feel as if I've lost my children and my rights as a parent. Six weeks ago my father died . I spent the last six weeks of his life in my brothers house where he told me I was just there for myself. I said nothing and just grimes and bared it for my fathers sake my sister who has always been very supportive is not coping with me and is grieving herself. the one time I lose my temper with her I get told I'm selfish and. abusive. I've decided for my own sake and probably theirs to cut ties for a while so now feeling very alone and afraid

4tticus What if everything was a lie??
  • replies: 4

Hey, I have a very serious problem with people. Everyone I meet I feel is beneath me. I can't even drop to their level to socialize because I always speak my mind and they never understand and get offended. I need to believe that their is someone out... View more

Hey, I have a very serious problem with people. Everyone I meet I feel is beneath me. I can't even drop to their level to socialize because I always speak my mind and they never understand and get offended. I need to believe that their is someone out their who has this same issue, so I am just going to put it all out there. Maybe it will be of use to someone else at some point.

BetterDays Brand new but feeling all out of everything
  • replies: 3

Hi all,This is just an introduction post. Just been struggling the last few days (more than usual) and decided to try and take some steps and try and learn from other people going through similar things. I posted in the welcome thread, but only becau... View more

Hi all,This is just an introduction post. Just been struggling the last few days (more than usual) and decided to try and take some steps and try and learn from other people going through similar things. I posted in the welcome thread, but only because it seemed like the thing to do. To be honest, I really don't know if these forums are going to be of any help, but I'll try anything to get myself back. I'll try to keep this brief, but I'm a wordy person! Sorry in advance.So, just a brief history as a means to capture the basics of where I'm at, why (sorta? I still don't necessarily understand) and what I've tried over the last few years:* Up to 2012/2013, I was generally very happy, jovial, high energy, smacked problems head on, went out with friends, loved my job, was doing great.*Mid 2013 I was diagnosed with HIV, unexpectedly. Hit me like a truck. I started medication regime immediately, engaged in counselling with a qualified psychologist that worked with my doctor, went to about 6 sessions to deal with the change in circumstances and all that I felt it represented. Worked my way through that and thought everything was on track, albeit a bit shaky. Gradually I just got more down and more down, lost interest in lots of things that usually I enjoyed (reading, gaming, movies, going out with friends, my job). My work gave me 6 months off and during that time I tried to adjust. Thought I'd done it, went back to work, crashed hard. (HIV is completely under control, last testing zero copies of the virus in my blood, so health is fine).*The last 3 years have been pretty much up and down like a yoyo. I contract to my work now after an amicable arrangement. Mostly I work from home (my work is technical/IT/online).Ok, so that's the quick backstory to hopefully capture a picture of where I'm at and what I've been dealing with. What have I tried?* Regular exercise (weights and walking, now just walking because I just can't be bothered with weights, I don't see the point)* I'm on medication for depression* I've tried therapy (2 different therapists, and while they were good, I just didn't get much out of it aside from theory, empathy and mental exercises that I tried and don't seem to really work).I'm at a stage where I feel like this is going to be the rest of my life. I don't want it to be. I want to go back to how I was before, but there's no way to get there. I try to move forward, but I just feel stuck and a failure.

Teiiiiim Hi I'm Tim
  • replies: 6

Hi, my name is tim, I'm 19 and I've been really struggling with depression for about 2 years. I feel like I am a very happy and light hearted kinda guy but on the inside I feel like my soul has been sucked out of me. I feel like it would be really gr... View more

Hi, my name is tim, I'm 19 and I've been really struggling with depression for about 2 years. I feel like I am a very happy and light hearted kinda guy but on the inside I feel like my soul has been sucked out of me. I feel like it would be really great for me to make some quality friends. about my depression: I have been struggling with depression for about 2 years, take medication and have regular therapy. I'm finding it very difficult to attend Uni, and also just to live in general. The things I am depressed about are complex but I struggle with the meaning of life a lot. I find it is best to live day to day. I'm keen to make new friends as I've said, wondering if anyone else is in the same boat.