Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Sal_Blue And so I go back to the meds
  • replies: 3

I haven't posted on here before. I think I'm what I recently saw described as a high functioning depressive person, no one knows about my condition except my husband, and yet it cripples me. When I get really bad I re start my meds. I know I should p... View more

I haven't posted on here before. I think I'm what I recently saw described as a high functioning depressive person, no one knows about my condition except my husband, and yet it cripples me. When I get really bad I re start my meds. I know I should probably not stop them but I'm massively forgetful so once I've forgotten them for a few days and feel ok I usually leave them in the box until the next bout. I've had depression since I can remember. Although only officially diagnosed 3 years ago. I tried a therapist but she kept talking about my physical health and I just didn't feel I was getting anything out of the sessions. I'm hoping to use this as a sounding board, depression is a lonely place but even more so when no one knows so you have no shoulder to cry on. Bad day today

Wandercharm Hello new friends, I'm just gonna start here.
  • replies: 7

I have visited Beyond Blue now and then over some years, and am determined now to get involved. It's intimidating for me and I'm "feeling my way through the darkness, guided by a beating heart...." Oops, slipped into song lyrics already. Anyway, "I d... View more

I have visited Beyond Blue now and then over some years, and am determined now to get involved. It's intimidating for me and I'm "feeling my way through the darkness, guided by a beating heart...." Oops, slipped into song lyrics already. Anyway, "I don't know where the journey will end, but I know where to start." This post is it. I was first diagnosed with Depression in 1997, and it is something that has effected my whole life. I've been diagnosed with epilepsy (as a child), Post-Natal Depression at times, Major Depressive Disorder, Generalised Anxiety Disorder, and Dysthymic Disorder. My father suffered from and died from Depression, and my mother returned to school when I was a teenager and is now a Clinical Psychologist who has practiced for about fifteen years. I've often believed that I have developed skills in dealing with my mental health disorder, and am reaching out now to become involved in discussion and with a community to help me remember this. I hope I can connect with some of you, and feel helpful while continuing the my quest to reorganize my inner world and tame the dialog of self-doubt and fear that the black dog has again permeated my mind with. This is a quote that helps me at the moment as I can believe it and feel it... “You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars” ― Max Ehrmann, Desiderata: A Poem for a Way of Life Also, as a inveterate caregiver I believe: "Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage." — Lao Tzu and I could sure use both of those things right about now. What about you all?

Gruffudd Acknowledgement of Country and an invitation to celebrate National Reconciliation Week with me on Beyond Blue.

I want to start with acknowledging I am writing to you from Wiradjuri country, I acknowledge elders past and present, and pay my respects to all Aboriginal people and those who are reading this now. Where are you? If you are not sure check it out on ... View more

I want to start with acknowledging I am writing to you from Wiradjuri country, I acknowledge elders past and present, and pay my respects to all Aboriginal people and those who are reading this now. Where are you? If you are not sure check it out on this map here I'd love to have a roll call of country (Just the country from the map and not the name of the settlement you live in). Here on Beyond Blue we make no shame out of mental health, we are all people with our own story to tell. We talk, and yarn, and support each other. I have been incredibly lucky in life to be here in Australia and to have had the opportunity to be friends with and learn from people who are Aboriginal. If ever I need some listening and a bit of direction I have Uncles and Aunties that are there to help. I love how they make me laugh, how they work with me in my professional life, stand up for Aboriginal people in our community, and how they unwind with me on a Friday night. Being proud Welsh (Cymro am byth!) I love talking my culture and other cultures too, it is what keeps me strong, I care about what has happened in our history. We have just recently observed National Sorry Day, it is a difficult day for me knowing families who are still working things out from the generations of their family taken away. I work with families for a living and have had to face up to what was done and the ongoing impact. But those very same people give me hope for the future we share together. I recon reconciliation is about the stories of our country being told. Some are hard to hear, others are uplifting. All of them are about people, family, and culture. Let's celebrate our stories. Rob.

Chris_B Forum housekeeping - threads with 100+ posts
  • replies: 51

Hi everyone,Regulars may have noticed that some of our long-running threads from different sections have been moved today to the BB Social Zone. We've been reviewing threads over the last few weeks and have noticed that threads that go past 100 posts... View more

Hi everyone,Regulars may have noticed that some of our long-running threads from different sections have been moved today to the BB Social Zone. We've been reviewing threads over the last few weeks and have noticed that threads that go past 100 posts have usually drifted away from the original topic and have become more about checking in on a daily basis on any number of aspects to do with wellbeing, as well as the social interaction that has become such a great part of our community here. In some of these threads, the journey is quite incredible, where a person has started out feeling suicidal and has moved to a place where they've recognised how well they're coping and are putting those skills into practice every day.Although the BB Social Zone is billed as a place for discussing topics other than mental health, anxiety and depression seeps into every aspect of our daily lives and it's not realistic for those of us using the forums regularly to put up walls and make compartments for what's going on.So from now on, we'll be reviewing threads that go past 100 posts and seeing whether they are suitable for moving to the Social Zone, in order to keep our subject sections focused on specific topics where members are looking for a resolution or support in moving forward in the short term.Hope this makes sense.

Penny84 First post, thought I should say hi.
  • replies: 2

Hello, I was feeling very nervous about posting on here as I haven't actually been diagnosed with anything. I have always been a sensitive soul, however I have noticed a dramatic increase in bouts of sadness more recently and find myself crying more ... View more

Hello, I was feeling very nervous about posting on here as I haven't actually been diagnosed with anything. I have always been a sensitive soul, however I have noticed a dramatic increase in bouts of sadness more recently and find myself crying more often over very insignificant events. I tried to bring this up with my GP, however he only reacted awkwardly and treated me with pity rather than offering any real help. I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and if anyone has any advice on what I should do. I don't know if my feelings are normal or if I should persist in seeking help.

Zeal SM has changed her username!

Hi everyone, To avoid confusion, I thought I'd let forum-goers know that my username is now Zeal. Thanks guys, Zeal

Hi everyone, To avoid confusion, I thought I'd let forum-goers know that my username is now Zeal. Thanks guys, Zeal

Annie_Muss Intro post im new

Good evening Im *Annie* I found myself in a traumatic situation late last year and long story short after alot of drs visits I ended up with anxiety and panic disorders aswell as ptsd. Ive worked on the anxiety and panic and have pretty much returned... View more

Good evening Im *Annie* I found myself in a traumatic situation late last year and long story short after alot of drs visits I ended up with anxiety and panic disorders aswell as ptsd. Ive worked on the anxiety and panic and have pretty much returned to normal with the help of some medication which i think ive weaned off, but the ptsd is a bit more of a struggle, certain things trigger it and i have kept that part of my diagnosis from everyone i know as i feel embarassed to share it with anyone and limited my out time incase a trigger comes along. Im finding myself depressed this week which is out of character for me. Im not an overly happy person but i havnt felt any depression for a good 15years. I dont really have a conventional family as weve never really communicated well or been a *family unit*. I guess i just need somewhere to vent and to hear of others experiences with ptsd and anxiety.

vala2017 New here with a little bit of health anxiety
  • replies: 6

Hello! I am new here so want to share what I am currently going through. I recently had some tests done which all came back clear, however, I am now questioning whether the results were right/accurate. I went to speak to a nurse after I got my result... View more

Hello! I am new here so want to share what I am currently going through. I recently had some tests done which all came back clear, however, I am now questioning whether the results were right/accurate. I went to speak to a nurse after I got my results who reassured me and I thought I would be alright after that, but my mind keeps going back to think that they were incorrect. I have been googling information about it which is only making it worst (am really trying to stop this) but it has snowballed this weekend and I do not know what to do! Why cannot I accept the results. Whats worst is that after getting the results I developed a bit of a sore throat which is not helping the situation (maybe why I am not believing the results as it is a possible symptom even though I know that this could be bought on by a million different things, including excessive worrying). My mind is even questioning whether they mixed my results with someone else's or whether the nurse actually took enough blood to begin with. From googling symptoms, my mind now seems to be paying tricks on me or I think I have other symptoms Am I going crazy? Is there anyway out of this? I guess writing this down has helped a bit. Cheers.

Shauny23 First post, just saying G'day 😊.
  • replies: 4

Hey guys, just thought I'd join an online forum to get some more help and advice with my anxiety, anxiety as soon as I wake up until I get back to bed and it's the worst when I'm at work. Anxiety paralyses me to the point I can't think, I can't conve... View more

Hey guys, just thought I'd join an online forum to get some more help and advice with my anxiety, anxiety as soon as I wake up until I get back to bed and it's the worst when I'm at work. Anxiety paralyses me to the point I can't think, I can't converse and I just feel stupid. . I used to drink and party alot on the weekends in my 20's, I had plenty of friends, I was married and bought a house all by the age of 21. I got divorced at 29, drank, more, partied too hard and lost everything and ended up in rehab. It took me 3 years to finally quit drinking but I have been using other things to fill that void, I did manage to stay 12 months clean and sober but my anxiety, especially meeting anyone new was too difficult. I am now at the point where I have had enough of the self medication, I know it's making my anxiety worse. I recently got laid off work and was relieved to be honest. So I just want to talk to people who have experienced the same feelings as me and hopefully make some friends and find relief. Thanks