Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Batlow G'day and looking for Treatment-resitant depression resources?
  • replies: 3

Hi all, I just signed up and wanted to say hello, it has already been very helpful and encouraging reading through the Forums here! I am a 60 year old male who has suffered from major depressive disorder since I was 17. As you can imagine, I'd pretty... View more

Hi all, I just signed up and wanted to say hello, it has already been very helpful and encouraging reading through the Forums here! I am a 60 year old male who has suffered from major depressive disorder since I was 17. As you can imagine, I'd pretty tired of being depressed Over the years I have tried a wide variety of anti-depressants including several SSRIs and SNRIs, TCAs, and other medications. Basically none of these had any effect. I also tried CBT for about 6 years, ACT therapy for 6 or so months, and last year I was admitted to hospital for a course of ECT. So you could say, I've tried most of the mainstream treatments. Sadly I have had very little benefit from any of them, no benefit at all really. I recently relocated from NSW to VIC. My NSW psychiatrist was not much help, she basically said "use Google to find a psychiatrist". I have seen one guy, who seems okay for common-or-garden depression, but I don't think he has much experience in chronic treatment-resistant depression. I am pretty sure what I need is some atypical treatment, possibly quite extreme. Once I get out of the little rut of negative thinking, then maybe I can start using CBT etc to claw my way back to a normal life. As it is I can't even get to Square One with CBT because the negative thoughts are too strong, too frequent and too insistent. In the meantime, I will keep reading the forums and hopefully make some useful and helpful replies to other forum members Best regards to all Beyond Blue members! Batlow.

Balvason Hello
  • replies: 5

Hi, I'm from Canberra and of late have found it harder dealing with the stresses which come from working in this political type of environment. I work in private enterprise and have started to really struggle with unknown. there are some days i can't... View more

Hi, I'm from Canberra and of late have found it harder dealing with the stresses which come from working in this political type of environment. I work in private enterprise and have started to really struggle with unknown. there are some days i can't sit still after work. I have been grumpier than normal (according to my wife). I keep feeling my boss is discussing me behind my back. In my own mind its something so small, that I shouldn't be mentioning it here. I mean everyone else i see has it together, shouldn't i also. I don't know. Sorry for the ramble. Thanks

Naturalwonder26 Not really sure where to from here
  • replies: 1

Hi, I'm a new member and I've never posted on something like this before, so please forgive my ramblings. I'm just having a really tough time at the moment and I'm not entirely sure how to get out of this hole I seem to be stuck in... I've recently (... View more

Hi, I'm a new member and I've never posted on something like this before, so please forgive my ramblings. I'm just having a really tough time at the moment and I'm not entirely sure how to get out of this hole I seem to be stuck in... I've recently (within the last 4 months) seperated from my on again off again partner of 5 years. We had a very tumultuous relationship filled with plenty of hurt and pain. In the past I've really struggled with being on my own and I usually find solace in other people (e.g. going from partner to partner quite quickly attempting to forget). This is the first time that I've not had another "partner" as such to fall back on. I've always felt a sense of emotional ambivalence towards my ex. There were some days were I could seriously hate everything about him, and other days where I was madly in love with him. Even though I felt like it wasn't right to stay, it also never felt right to be without him. I guess the optimist in me always hoped that one day it would just click, and I'm devastated that is hasn't. I've tried reaching out to him lately, but it's (obviously) been met with plenty of hurt and criticism. This experience with my ex has kind of set the tone for my emotional state lately. I had to move home with my family when we broke up, and my home environment is just as toxic as the one I had with my ex. I'm also studying at uni and working part-time, so I'm entirely dependent on living at home. Lately I've just found myself becoming more agitated and upset day to day, and now I'm finding that I'm less interested in studying something that I'm usually quite passionate about. I'm not motivated, I can't focus on tasks at hand, and every day that goes by, I just feel more and more trapped by reality. I've been a smoke for 5 years and I gave up about 5 weeks ago (cold turkey). Last night I was so upset that I caved and had three cigarettes. Even knowing I couldn't do that has disappointed me immensely :( I guess I just thought I'd be at a different point in my life then where I am now. It's really affecting my emotional wellbeing and I feel so stuck. I've tried counselling for my anger and sadness but it only helps so much. I feel positive and enlightened until something happens, and then I just feel worse than I did before. I just don't know what to do anymore. Life feels pointless and I'm honestly just exhausted.

Faithfalls coping with loneliness
  • replies: 4

I've been living on my own for the last 10 years after a painful divorce and was generally coping with life just fine. Lately I am feeling stressed by life and finding I can't cope with being on my own on the weekends. I have adult children nearby bu... View more

I've been living on my own for the last 10 years after a painful divorce and was generally coping with life just fine. Lately I am feeling stressed by life and finding I can't cope with being on my own on the weekends. I have adult children nearby but don't want to burden them by being there all the time. If I sit at home I just cry for no reason and find it difficult to keep my mind occupied on positives. I had been drinking heavily but now I have stopped most days and cut back on others but feel worse than ever. When I don't drink I can't sleep and then I came home from work the other day early because I felt sick and kept running to the toilet and felt that everything was just overwhelming. I spoke to a friend but as soon as I got home I just felt like crying again and it's like I can't stop. I don't want to be like this. Faithfalls

kaz73 Hello, new member.....

Hi, First time i am dealing with the impacts of stress in my life. I have a teenage son who has adhd and autism and has impacted me in a major way. Never knew it would, until the day I had a anxiety attack. Then it was followed by drinking and smokin... View more

Hi, First time i am dealing with the impacts of stress in my life. I have a teenage son who has adhd and autism and has impacted me in a major way. Never knew it would, until the day I had a anxiety attack. Then it was followed by drinking and smoking...... now on the slow recovery road, thanks to my local g.p, I am getting the help I really need. Thought I could manage it on my own, but its not that easy. Anyway, here to say hi and I'm still here. lol.... xox

dkr Hi from a new member

Hi to All, I'm grateful to have found this site. I've never been diagnosed with depression, not by a doctor anyway, I've no doubt I have a degree of depression, I also don't have much time for doctors. I have a fair bit of right brain/left brain conf... View more

Hi to All, I'm grateful to have found this site. I've never been diagnosed with depression, not by a doctor anyway, I've no doubt I have a degree of depression, I also don't have much time for doctors. I have a fair bit of right brain/left brain conflict in that I can see from my track record that I'm an ok and worthwhile person, but emotionally I don't feel that this is the truth, my internal dialogue is mostly pretty negative. This is as a result of my being particularly susceptible to the negative messages I was fed as a child. Where this has left me, in my 50's at times struggling to find joy in life, I can have a very bleak outlook and this affects my relationships, I have a shitty tendency to project what I'm feeling and thinking. I'm an emotional eater, I call it my last substance abuse issue. I quit smoking a decade or more ago, I stopped drinking three or four years ago, but I've no clue how to get a handle on my eating, because my 'substance abuse issue' is a coping mechanism and until I've dealt with what I'm coping with then there'll be coping mechanisms. I've been to healing retreats that work to heal the emotional trauma suffered as a child, I learned a lot about myself and people in general, but was less successful at processing the traumas from the past that have made me who I am. I learned enough that I assisted others process their own trauma and gain a degree of relief, but never was able to break down that wall and allow my self to be vulnerable and open enough to process those hurts. I've tried other stuff, counselling, resets, etc, I've yet to find a good fit that offers a more permanent fix. I refuse to use antidepressants, I firmly believe that my best path lies elsewhere, I'm mostly coping and not suicidal, if that changes I guess I'd have to investigate the chemical way, but not before. So that's me, in a nutty shell, it's so much more convoluted than that, but there's a time and space limit and I guess an attention limit too. If you got this far thanks heaps for reading and bless youse All.

Lanabanana84 Seeking help/guidance

Hi. I have been going through a real hard time I would say the last two years. I was diagnosed with post natal depression. I am on medication. I don't even really know what to say

Hi. I have been going through a real hard time I would say the last two years. I was diagnosed with post natal depression. I am on medication. I don't even really know what to say

Allibree279 Intro

Hi my names alisa im 20 f and i live in nsw i have a list of mental health issues that im working though. Im not aloud to work or study due to my mental health. I enjoy games drawing food and most of all company.

Hi my names alisa im 20 f and i live in nsw i have a list of mental health issues that im working though. Im not aloud to work or study due to my mental health. I enjoy games drawing food and most of all company.

creativebec Hello there!

I am here on suggestion from my neuro psychologist to reach out to like minded people who are going through similar things to myself... So here I am. I am a nearly 38 F from QLD, who has a neurological disorder as well as a range of mental disorders ... View more

I am here on suggestion from my neuro psychologist to reach out to like minded people who are going through similar things to myself... So here I am. I am a nearly 38 F from QLD, who has a neurological disorder as well as a range of mental disorders ( I'm really not sure if illnesses is really the correct term). Anxiety, depression and PTSD are my main demons. You see, ever since I was a child, I have had to deal with trauma. The main catalyst was when my older brother was murdered 24 years ago. I've had broken family relationships, people bully and harass me, been assaulted physically and sexually, also had to grieve for numerous family members in such a short time period. So there's no wonder I am in such a dark space right now. Please tell me there is light at the end of this tunnel. I know logically there is, but.. at the moment it's hard to see it. Nice to meet you all.