FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Light Headed

Prada55
Community Member
Why is it that when you stress you encourage
light headiness this scares me so much..
It starts this cycle of fear and then I'm forever on the look out
4 Replies 4

JessF
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello Prada55, it’s very frightening when you feel like you’re losing control of your body that way. As if the stress wasn’t bad enough, that light-headedness can make you feel like you’re about to float off the earth. There are some good resources on this website about anxiety that might explain what’s going on inside your body when stressed. Basically, when our bodies perceive a threat, our systems rush into action and start pumping blood to all the muscles to help us run away. That can make you feel light-headed if it happens very quickly. That’s the physical explanation, which I hope is somewhat reassuring. Would you like to talk more about the stress you’re feeling and how you might be able to manage it?

Tomasjc
Community Member

Hi. Can you explain further? I blame a few things.

• Food Intolerance
  • mandibular issues/ bruxism
  • back and neck muscle tension
  • sinusitis/rhinitis/hay fever
  • bad posture
  • anxiety
  • Definitely some medications
  • stimulants such as coffee

rh456
Community Member

Hi Jess

I agree with your post and can concur about what happens to your body when stressed, as I have been suffering similar symptoms myself on and off over the past few years. I went through a breast cancer diagnosis back in 2015 and one of my mum's colleagues went through a similar condition, however was diagnosed a few years later with brain cancer. For quite a while after she passed away, every time I got anything like a headache/light headedness I started worrying/anxious that I was the same.

JessF
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello rh456, as a survivor of breast cancer, you must have learned so much about yourself and how to cope when faced with potential mortality. It's a frightening prospect. To receive an even more serious diagnosis after that would feel like 'out of the frying pan and into the fire'. How did you manage to get past the feeling of constant worry about symptoms?