Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

lukain Feeling isolated
  • replies: 4

new to this so bear with me .. I guess it started 10 or so years ago with the loss of My best friend " My dad " keep in mind I was never a really outgoing Life of the party type to begin with . with my closes family 900miles away I relied on what was... View more

new to this so bear with me .. I guess it started 10 or so years ago with the loss of My best friend " My dad " keep in mind I was never a really outgoing Life of the party type to begin with . with my closes family 900miles away I relied on what was my core group of friends . for most of my life I keep 3-4 close friends and never really felt the need to make new ones After depression/anxiety set in alone came more issues - Insomina , Tinnitus, Diabetes ect ect .. this made me fell even more alone and within 6 Month I was place on a Pension & a strick regime of Medications .. withing a Year my closes friend who have been showing signs of lossing intress in me as a friend " can't really blame him I guess" then another friend suffered a Stroke and yeat anoth cancer so all our lifes changed no more Golfing , camping ect - I still take my friend that suffered a stroke to the movies a few times a Month where we have a good time . the last of my close 4 friend moved 800 Miles south & I only see him 1-2 times a year now Sorry If i am sounding like i am making excuses for bening lonley I just am finding it so tough to put myself out there "do I even know how anymore ? I dont know .. I have been looking at Meetup.com groups but that though of gathering with 20 strangers terrifies my to no end .. I guess a little info about me is needed , I am Male 51 on a Pension so I lots of free time I consider myself to be a Kind person & very loyal someone who you can rely on .. while I am not the greatest conversationalist I do my best , I like going to the Movies and enjoy long walks "to loss a few pounds" I enjoy 4 Wheel driving in the bush , computer game that challenge me listing to Jpop even though I don't understand a word I am looking at buying a Bike to ride around Parramatta Park Thanks Mark Ps : Please excuse any grammer and spelling issues,

Julieeb Three weeks in.
  • replies: 1

I am using this as a way to get my thoughts of my chest. Pls no judgment. Not that I think anyone on here would. I just feel so alone. I was diagnosed with depression three and a half weeks ago. I am 25 turning 26. I always thought in my own mind and... View more

I am using this as a way to get my thoughts of my chest. Pls no judgment. Not that I think anyone on here would. I just feel so alone. I was diagnosed with depression three and a half weeks ago. I am 25 turning 26. I always thought in my own mind and this might sound so crazy but I always felt like there was something wrong with me. I would feel flat on weeks and would b doing nice stuff with my boyfriend but still feel lousy and low. I masked a lot with alcohol. Not a big drinker but it was almost an escape from the constant burden on my mind. I asked my friend - a few close ones - and my partner and my parents quite often "do you think I have depression" and they would look at me like I was crazy like why would you have something wrong with you your life is fine. I always googled depression and always had headaches. To hear a dr and physiatrist say I had depression and anxiety was hard. I always believe in gut feelings and mine have always been right. I always used to have headaches but since I have been diagnosed I don't anymore as much. It's all been really hard for me as I have had had reactions to the medication I first got put on which have also cropped up on my second lot of meds. Very bad thoughts which are disturbing. And not me. I really just want this nightmare to be over but I feel like the whole thing had just been a journey for me almost. Not a good one but I have had to realise where I have gone wrong and how my way of thinking and my coping skills and my outlook on things - which is bleak and very negative due to past hurts - has almost compounded my depression till this point where I was at a breakdown and couldn't go to work. I feel like all those years I suppressed this nagging feeling there was something wrong with me it's all now come out and consumed me and I have to now deal with it. I'm seeing a phyc and she says I will have to change my way of thinking which will b hard work. As it's been this way for years. I get caught up on the smallest thing and blow it up and get sooooo down and upset about it. I know I am doing it but I just can't stop. I hope I can start seeing some better results with the meds soon as I really do want to get better. I hope whoever reads this finds some sort of comfort or feels not so alone because I know I do. I

mumunknown Recently Diagnosed
  • replies: 13

Hello- I probably wont sound any different to every other new person that comes on to Beyond Blue, but I will share my little bit as well... I am a young mother & wife. Yesterday, I was diagnosed with high to extreme depression & high stress levels. ... View more

Hello- I probably wont sound any different to every other new person that comes on to Beyond Blue, but I will share my little bit as well... I am a young mother & wife. Yesterday, I was diagnosed with high to extreme depression & high stress levels. Ive known for years about my depression (well before my children) but I thought it would go away. I am an adolescent victim of sexual & physical abuse. I "fixed" it by suppressing as many bad memories as I possibly could. But, in each year that I get older, I find myself more withdrawn, negative & generally unwell. Ive had my fair share of mental breakdowns in the last few months; unexplained crying, paranoia, angry outbursts, unable to sleep-yet extremely tired, irritable etc But a few recent turn of events pushed me to finally see a GP yesterday & finally get the help that I know I need!! On the 8th of this month, a family member of mine comitted suicide. While we didnt have a relationship as such, his choice stuck in my mind. It really got me thinking... not that I wanted to harm myself but about all those times when ive just wanted to be "gone". I sat with my husband & I asked him in all seriousness 'Is there something wrong with me?' He couldnt answer me with a straight yes or no, instead, he could only give me examples of my behaviour & our conversations (aka my rants) & left me to make up my own mind. I cried & cried listening to just how much & how often I made him & our children feel worthless. I began recalling situations with them all where I knew I upset them & I couldnt explain why I did? Or how my words were someone elses fault. Full of self hatred & confusion, I did what so many of us do & I started googling. I was led to many different questionaires to check for different mental health issues. EVERYTHING kept telling me I have bipolar. This seriously scares the hell out of me as there is history of manic depression on one side of the family & schizophrenia & bipolar on the other. Monday, I woke up & lived out my day in denial like I did for sooo many years-nope-nothing is wrong, im "normal" im just doing my usual, over thinking things... then I woke up in tears yesterday uncontrollably. My husband & babies standing there speechless- watching me sob - with No explanation- I knew I had to do something about this Now! It was really hard to confront this illness after concealing it for years, but I am determined to conquer it & get better to be the very Best wife & Mum I can be!!beyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

bluebalu86 don't want to take meds, lost

Hi guys I don't want to be on medication but if my depression is endogenous. then there seems to be no other way. I read that therapy doesn't help with endogenous depression. How do I figure out exactly what's wrong with me? I have depression, a lot ... View more

Hi guys I don't want to be on medication but if my depression is endogenous. then there seems to be no other way. I read that therapy doesn't help with endogenous depression. How do I figure out exactly what's wrong with me? I have depression, a lot of anxiety, panic attacks, agoraphobia and obsessive thoughts. I'm so scared of all of these things that are happening to me and have little to no trust in doctors and their pills. I don't want to be sick with this illness forever.

JD68225 Feeling like my time is done...
  • replies: 8

I would have preferred to chat online with a counsellor, but as I am overseas apparently this is not allowed on this site. Seems they think only those currently in Australia need help...When I was 19 (I'm now 47), on a wet, dark, cold Sydney night, I... View more

I would have preferred to chat online with a counsellor, but as I am overseas apparently this is not allowed on this site. Seems they think only those currently in Australia need help...When I was 19 (I'm now 47), on a wet, dark, cold Sydney night, I came close to taking my life. I was a very messed up kid. After some time I went home. I feel like I've been on borrowed time since then. 28 years later I'm beginning to feel this borrowed time may be at an end. I'm still a messed up kid.I've filled those 28 years with a lot, most people would say I've lived a life. I've spent close to half that time overseas, travelling, living, working, volunteering. Loved and lost and loved some more, women from a range of different countries. Managed to finish a degree and get myself a pretty solid, well paying career. And yet at no time at all have I felt "grown up" or stable.Done a pretty good job of suppressing these feelings a lot of times. Going out with friends, drinking, travelling to new places. All the distractions your could imagine in the world. But focusing has always been an issue. Doing anything long term the same. I get bored very easily, and since heading to South America 3 years ago and earning money from working online, I simply don't think it would be possible for me to live a "normal" life again.But now financial issues are coming into play, once again something I have been running away from these past 3 years... but you can only run so long and so far. So time to pay the piper, but I'm thinking it might just be easier to call it a day. I'm no closer to being an adult, being responsible, being able to form any sort of meaningful, in depth relationship with another human being. I can form plenty of fun-loving, drinking and dancing relationships, got friends all around the world. And they are friends, it's just that I am incapable of really letting anyone in. And at 47, maybe it's just a whole lot simpler with this and the money and everything else to just... well, thank the powers that be for the extra 28 years I got out of life, and just move on...I head to Buenos Aires for a wedding in a few weeks, and will spend 4 or 5 months there, and perhaps that would be a great city to call it a day...beyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

Hopeangel Just can't get out of bed soooo tired
  • replies: 9

Hmmm the black dog is back again grrr finding it so hard just can't get out of bed and want to sleep all day. Only thing that makes me happy is junk food, gorgeous children and reality TV. So over feeling this way sleeping all day just seems a good w... View more

Hmmm the black dog is back again grrr finding it so hard just can't get out of bed and want to sleep all day. Only thing that makes me happy is junk food, gorgeous children and reality TV. So over feeling this way sleeping all day just seems a good way to not worry anymore. Anyone else do this ? Any tips to get over this depressed state and start living.

laura86 Need help
  • replies: 64

Hi everyone, I’m new to sharing here but really needed to reach out for help. I have been suffering from depression and anxiety for many years now and am currently in a massive low period. I recently left a horrible workplace for a better job- this i... View more

Hi everyone, I’m new to sharing here but really needed to reach out for help. I have been suffering from depression and anxiety for many years now and am currently in a massive low period. I recently left a horrible workplace for a better job- this is a good thing and I am proud of myself for moving on. However I now work for a very small business and don’t have anyone to really talk to on a day-to-day level and this had effected me more than I thought it would. I feel as though I have lost most of the friends I had despite trying to keep in contact and everyone else seems to be overseas, away with work or just too busy. A couple of weeks ago I had a big meltdown whileI was home alone. For the first time in years those truly dark thoughts came back where I couldn’t control my pain and emptiness and thought seriously about taking my life. The worst part was having no one to reach out to. I felt totally alone and worthless. Although those really bad suicidalfeelings are not as strong I wake up every day with horrible anxiety and sadness. I often don’t know how I’ll get through the day at work and cry whenever I’m alone. Since then my partner has come home from his business trip and has been really supportive even though I’m just sad all the time. I just wish it was over but I feel like it is just getting worse every day. I can’t afford to see a psychiatrist and in my local area there isn’t like a community-based service that is cheaper. I suppose I feel lost, alone and desperate. Anyway, I thought I should try to reach out here and see what happens. Thank you for listening and for your support Laurabeyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

chaoscontrol Not worth it
  • replies: 3

I am sinking into depression, I have been suicidal before. I am in love with someone I cannot have and everything is just getting worse. Just need to talk to someone who would understand mebeyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline... View more

I am sinking into depression, I have been suicidal before. I am in love with someone I cannot have and everything is just getting worse. Just need to talk to someone who would understand mebeyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

Chloekat84 Still sick and depression hitting hard

hey guys. Well ive been sick for a while and the doc has told me I have a bacterial infection in my throat and its been killing me. Anyways today my emotions got the better of me and I just started crying for no reason and couldn't control it. It was... View more

hey guys. Well ive been sick for a while and the doc has told me I have a bacterial infection in my throat and its been killing me. Anyways today my emotions got the better of me and I just started crying for no reason and couldn't control it. It was horrible and I was out in public which was worse. Its like this feeling came over me and it was all too much for me to handle. Prob is I never know when its gonna come on on and start or stop I just cry for no reason I just cant handle being sick anymore and its showing through my emotions. I just cant handle feeling neuseas especially that brings on a crying session. I just candle it anymore :'(

JessF Robin Williams
  • replies: 6

Hello everyone, well I haven't been on here for a little while but I had to stop in today after hearing about Robin Williams. I'm very shocked and saddened by it. Someone that for me had always been a symbol of happiness and heartfelt emotion, but he... View more

Hello everyone, well I haven't been on here for a little while but I had to stop in today after hearing about Robin Williams. I'm very shocked and saddened by it. Someone that for me had always been a symbol of happiness and heartfelt emotion, but he was struggling himself. If only if only if only he had been able to reach out. I know from my own experience that pain can cloud your judgment but there is always a way forward, always, even if you can't see it, please please reach out to the people around you and let them shine a light for you. Love and hope to anyone who may be feeling like this right now.